NFL Week 9

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
HAHA I was just watching the "OT" after the NE - NYG game and the ONLY clip of the Denver game they showed was the kick off return - nothing about Tebow.

Could you imagine if Cam Newton had 2 TDs and over 100 yards rushing and his team ACTUALLY won and him being excluded from the highlights?

No - thats more unbelievable than the Walking Dead that is going to be starting in just over an hour.

On a side note - does Tim Tebow now have more wins as a starter than Cam Newton? And does ANYONE suggest that the Broncos are a better team than the Panthers? Hah.

But of course, there is that unlimited upside thing. And Mike Greenberg is now saying he thinks Cam
Newton is a better prospect than Andrew Luck. Neato.

Yes, and the highlights of Tebow and Denver weren't much better on "PMS-NBC" either. the first three plays were of Tebow getting hit after throwing an incomplete pass, Dan Patrick saying the Raiders half killed him.

They did show one completion though, a perfect strike to one of Denvers' receivers, may have been Decker, for a TD!

As predicted Tebow played much better, despite the odds stacked against him and without much fanfare, but it's OK if he keeps winning!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
New York Giants TE Jake Ballard really bailed Eli out on a great 30 yd reception down the middle. Ballard could be a star in the making. Great Hands. Anyone else notice?

4 receptions, 67 yds. 1 TD. 16.75 yds/rec.

foobar75

Master
A total of 3 White starters for PIT. I didn't realize the entire O-line is sumo.

Westside

Hall of Famer
New York Giants TE Jake Ballard really bailed Eli out on a great 30 yd reception down the middle. Ballard could be a star in the making. Great Hands. Anyone else notice?

Yeah, that was an epic catch by Ballard. The announcers acknowledged it. Then they had to utter a caste remark "Ballard will never make a catch like that again as long as he is in the NFL." or words to that affect.

Patrick

Guru

Early in the third quarter he was hit right down the middle, maybe 20 yards, and the two black NE backs, maybe their safeties BOTH ran in to him at the same time and I swear it looked like the bounced off him, one of them was able to grab a hold of his foot though and trip him up - but what a pathetic defense NE has - especially their secondary which is dead last.

I'll reiterate - Antwaun Molden was a BENCH player for the WORST secondary in the league last year and Bill decided "Hey, I'll grab him and make him a starter on my team! That'll work!" and now the Patriots have the worst pass defense in the league.

The Pats defense couldn't stop a plastic bag blowing listlessly in the wind down the field.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Aside from being a wealthy, top-five pro quarterback and basically an athletic hero to lots of young kids and being married to a supermodel, it must suck to be Tom Brady at times this season, because you know that no matter how many points you hammer into the endzone, your doofus defense will ruin everything for you.

Like putting premium gasoline into a tank with a hole at the bottom.

foobar75

Master
Belichik has always had a reputation as a defensive mastermind, so what exactly is going on here? My theory is that it was mostly an illusion. The whole Spygate incident now proves it. When he could tape other teams' signals, it allowed him to design his defensive game plan accordingly. Now that he can no longer cheat, his defenses are simply awful. That, combined with stockpiling lousy affletic "talent" on the defensive side has been NE's undoing. The great play of the offense these last few years has masked some of that stink and kept them relevant.

Riggins44

Master
Tebow

I am more fired up about Tebow's performance today and Denver's winning than any other sports event for the past year, with the possible exceptions of the Mavs winning the title (OK that was bigger) and Vlad's humiliation of Haye. Tebow's performance was simply awesome. After watching that game it is even more apparent how one-sided and inaccurate the MSM's depiction of him as an incompetent NFL QB really is. He is 2-1 as a starter for God's sake, with that lousy team and coaching staff around him, and the media pushes the line constantly of how he should be benched immediately and his career should be over. I am really going to take pleasure this week listening to the jackals on ESPN radio squirm when they talk about his performance today.

Patrick

Guru
I am more fired up about Tebow's performance today and Denver's winning than any other sports event for the past year, with the possible exceptions of the Mavs winning the title (OK that was bigger) and Vlad's humiliation of Haye. Tebow's performance was simply awesome. After watching that game it is even more apparent how one-sided and inaccurate the MSM's depiction of him as an incompetent NFL QB really is. He is 2-1 as a starter for God's sake, with that lousy team and coaching staff around him, and the media pushes the line constantly of how he should be benched immediately and his career should be over. I am really going to take pleasure this week listening to the jackals on ESPN radio squirm when they talk about his performance today.

When he beat the Dolphins the talking heads LOVED to say "He beat the Dolphins" as if it was a meaningless win - but after the Dolphins destroyed the Chiefs this week I'm sure they won't be going back and suggesting that win was more impressive than they gave it credit for. Miami has been competitive this season, they are not as bad as their record.

Patrick

Guru
Belichik has always had a reputation as a defensive mastermind, so what exactly is going on here? My theory is that it was mostly an illusion. The whole Spygate incident now proves it. When he could tape other teams' signals, it allowed him to design his defensive game plan accordingly. Now that he can no longer cheat, his defenses are simply awful. That, combined with stockpiling lousy affletic "talent" on the defensive side has been NE's undoing. The great play of the offense these last few years has masked some of that stink and kept them relevant.

My theory is that all the players he inherited on defense when he became head coach are now retired.

This is the guy that passed on Clay Matthews. Genius? Not on defense.

If he didn't have Tom Brady under center he'd have been fired long ago.

dwid

Hall of Famer
My theory is that all the players he inherited on defense when he became head coach are now retired.

This is the guy that passed on Clay Matthews. Genius? Not on defense.

If he didn't have Tom Brady under center he'd have been fired long ago.
He is great at defensive schemes but not seeing and evaluating talent on the defensive side, or his is so egotistical that he thinks he can get by on coaching alone. He supposedly passed on alot of good pass rushers because he hasn't seen them play 3-4 rush linebacker in college, ie stand up rush the passer and drop back in coverage. The only linebacker he has drafted in the first round since being there was Mayo, who is an OLB. Im not sure if he has taken one in the 2nd round. He is more interested in fancy coverage shells than blitzes which is why he has drafted a million defensive backs.

Patrick

Guru
He is great at defensive schemes but not seeing and evaluating talent on the defensive side, or his is so egotistical that he thinks he can get by on coaching alone.

I think his ego makes him believe that it his scheme that matters and not the players that are required to execute it.

I remember the hay day when the Patriots could actually get to the QB - remember the 1st and 1 yard to the goal against the Colts in 2004 (I believe)? 4 straight stuffs. Not anymore.

You don't get to have the worst pass coverage in the league without someone screwing up majorly - either the coach or the GM - of which, he is both.

I figured this team was a sure bet to make the playoffs then would be out in the first round, but looking at them now I'm starting to doubt they'll even make the playoffs.

I'll say it again, if he didn't have Brady he'd have been fired a long time ago. If he's smart as soon as Brady is gone he'll retire.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The Pittsburgh DBs were CHEATING left and right, and it wasn't being called..

Tim Riggins

Deion Sanders with an actual objective, positive take on Tebow, said they were overly critical of him before giving him a chance to play and establish his style.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Joe Flacco played a great game. Torrey Smith dropped two long TD passes and there were other drops yet Flacco still threw for 300 yards and led a great drive at the end of the game to win on the road against a tough defense.

Big Ben was very solid as usual.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Cincinnati's Dalton getting it done where it counts most

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16016690/cincinnatis-dalton-getting-it-done-where-it-counts-most

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Rave about Cam Newton all you want, but the rookie quarterback who should be getting more attention has flaming red hair, lacks the prototypical size, an aw-shucks demeanor, but plays with a killer instinct that is an essential for the position.

Ever heard of Andy Dalton?

For a quarterback, Newton, the Carolina Panthers' star rookie, is huge and Dalton, the Cincinnati Bengals rookie quarterback, is smallish. Newton has the big arm, while Dalton's arm was questioned a lot before the draft. Newton can be electrifying, while Dalton can be workmanlike.

One more thing: Newton is 2-6 and Dalton is 6-2.

There's more:

Coming out of TCU, there were a lot of negative opinions about his game. They said he was too small. They said his arm wasn't good enough to make the NFL throws. They said he would struggle because he came from a spread offense.

Now he's got the Bengals relevant again. This is a team that appeared destined to be in the mix for the top pick next spring, especially when Carson Palmer took his ball and went home. But Dalton's play, coupled with an aggressive defense that is the most underrated unit in the league, has the Bengals thinking playoffs.

Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden was the person responsible for pushing the organization to take Dalton last spring. Gruden thought his West Coast system to be perfect for Dalton's skill set, which seems to be the truth.

Last edited:

celt14

I have noticed they have nearly completely ignored Tebow in all the highlights on Sportscenter and NFL network for the last hour. On sportscenter they have completely ignored the entire Denver-Oakland game. On NFL network they did a Palmer vs Broncos thing for the game and just put up Palmers stats for the game. All that while they did every other games highlights and such. Some games multiple times.

white is right

Hall of Famer
This! Chucky won a SB by knowing what Oakland was going to do with certain formations. Also being perennial contender has cost his team a chance to draft top picks. Most of the picks that New England gets are late first picks so essentially second round talent. I really think he loves undervalued players ie White players in the speed positions. He looks like he adapted Bill James stats to football.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
I'm sure if Tebow performed exactly the same as Newton, and for the same team, while Newton replaced Tebow in Denver and likewise did exactly the same as Tebow, people would harp on the fact that Tebow's team loses under his aegis, meanwhile Newton would be called Jesus Christ Junior.

foobar75

Master
The BAL win was huge tonight. It prevents PIT from getting a clear upper hand for the #1 seed in the playoffs and an inside track for another SB appearance. Instead, they are in the mix with 4 or 5 other teams. Joe Flacco is now among the 6-7 elite QBs in the NFL. Celt14, in the 1am ET SC, they showed the DEN-OAK game during The Blitz. They showed both his TD passes, plus a couple of his long runs.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I have noticed they have nearly completely ignored Tebow in all the highlights on Sportscenter and NFL network for the last hour. On sportscenter they have completely ignored the entire Denver-Oakland game. On NFL network they did a Palmer vs Broncos thing for the game and just put up Palmers stats for the game. All that while they did every other games highlights and such. Some games multiple times.

I switched back and forth between BSPN and the NFL Network for about 90 minutes before I finally saw highlights from the Denver-Oakland game at about the same time on each network. On "The Blitz" the only comment was this neutral statement from Tom Jackson: "[Tebow's] a unique entity that we will continue to keep an eye on." On the NFL Network they went to the next game without any commentary whatsoever.

Quite a contrast from last week, when an inordinate amount of coverage and negative commentary was focused on Tebow after the Lions dominated the Broncos. It went on all week actually; I suspect there will be far less interest in Tim this week from Merrill the Hog and his Merry Band of Haters.

Last edited:

Tom Iron

Mentor
Tebow's getting better. That's what the powers that be didn't want. Everybody knows you've got to get game experience to improve. That's exactly what they didn't want to give him. They wanted to put him in there every so often and let him make mistakes and stand back and say, "see, I told you he didn't have what it takes." But the coaches didn't figure on the fans outcry. They didn't take into account these same fans saw the same game played on Peyton Hillis and didn't want to see it done again.

Tom Iron...

Kaptain

Master
nfl leaders.JPG

The leaders board from ESPN is beautiful thing right now. I'm working on my computer skills. I used the snipping tool and save the image to jpeg and then uploaded. Anybody know how I can get the image larger or better way of doing this?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I may take some heat for this but Kevin Walter is the worst starting receiver in the NFL by far. 1 reception for 5 yards! Please! There are so many more talented receivers in the league and he shouldn't be starting any longer. We don't need to keep making excuses for him any longer. He's a joke!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
View attachment 129

The leaders board from ESPN is beautiful thing right now. I'm working on my computer skills. I used the snipping tool and save the image to jpeg and then uploaded. Anybody know how I can get the image larger or better way of doing this?

That is beautiful!! Now if the NHL had that many blacks leading in different statistical catagories wouldn't there be a hue and cry to find and develop more black talent? Is there currently anyone saying that there should be more white players if the few that are there are all league leaders? If not, why not?