NFL Week 9

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Tebow has a good game and the articles about him change dramatically. All of sudden he's getting props. If he loses next week and has a bad game the haters will be back.

orange_arrow.png

Northjersey.com : Sports

[h=1]That's the Tim Tebow we know[/h]
Monday, November 7, 2011
BY JOSH DUBOW
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
The Record
Print | E-mail
OAKLAND, Calif. — Tim Tebow took the snap, put the ball in Willis McGahee’s belly and decided whether to hand off or keep it himself.
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Denver’s Tim Tebow ran 12 times for 117 yards and threw for two touchdowns in a victory over the Raiders.

Those plays looked a lot like what he did so often in college — especially the results.
Tebow threw two TD passes and ran for 117 yards, McGahee added 163 yards rushing and two more scores and the Denver Broncos beat the Oakland Raiders, 38-24, on Sunday.
Even though he looked far from a prototypical NFL quarterback, relying on his legs much more than his arm, Tebow still managed to win for the second time in three starts this season and put the Broncos (3-5) one game out of first place in the AFC West.
"Honestly, it doesn’t necessarily matter too much how you drew it up as long as you get this feeling at the end, because it was pretty special," he said.
It’s quite a turnaround from a week ago, when Denver was dismantled, 45-10, by Detroit and some of the Lions were questioning Tebow’s ability to succeed in the NFL. Broncos coach John Fox was only willing to commit to Tebow for Sunday’s game. But after the coaches made a few tweaks to the offense, Tebow earned himself another start.
He threw touchdown passes to Eric Decker and Eddie Royal early in the game, then expertly ran the option that helped the Broncos gain 298 yards on the ground, their highest total since a 300-yard game against Seattle in 2000, and most ever against the Raiders (4-4).
"As long as it worked; that’s all I care about," McGahee said. "He did a great job as far as reading the ends on what he had to do as far as keeping it or giving it. When I got the ball it was my job just to get some yards."
McGahee had a 60-yard touchdown run that tied the game on the first play after Carson Palmer threw his second interception for the Raiders, then added a 24-yarder to ice it in the closing minutes. Denver took the lead in between those big runs when Royal returned his first punt of the season 85 yards for a touchdown.
Tebow finished 10-of-21 for 124 yards, but took only one sack after taking 13 in his first two starts.
"I thought he improved throwing the ball," Fox said. "I think he’s always run the ball pretty effectively. He’s very competitive by nature. You see evidence of that. Now it’s just learning how to be an NFL quarterback. In my opinion, he’s gotten better each time out."
Palmer looked much better in his first start with the Raiders than in his debut two weeks ago in a relief effort against Kansas City, when he threw three second-half interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.
With a bye week and this past week to get acclimated to his new team, Palmer showed why Oakland dealt a 2012 first-round draft pick and a conditional 2013 second-rounder to Cincinnati to acquire him after starter Jason Campbell broke his collarbone.
Palmer was 18-of-34 for 312 yards and three touchdowns. But he threw three more interceptions, including one that provided a sudden change of momentum in the closing seconds of the third quarter.

NorthJersey.com
|
Top Stories
|
Most Read

Cop slain in Paterson robbery identified; PBA offering $10k reward for killer
Sullivan: Nobody's doubting Eli Manning after this victory
More districts bringing special ed in house

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
At the midway point of the season…

Wes Welker needs only 40 yards (that’s not a typo) to reach his 4[SUP]th[/SUP] 1,000-yard season. With 66 catches for 960 yards and 6 TD’s through 8 games, “The Patriot Missile” is on pace for an alarming 132 catches for 1,920 yards and 12 TD’s. This would break Jerry Rice’s all-time record of 1,848 yards (set in 1995). At present, Welker’s 2009 campaign ranks 90[SUP]th[/SUP]-best in terms of all-time single-season yardage (1,348 yards), so at the very least, his name will rank much high on that list. Of course, it will prove quite the difficult task for #83 to keep his break-neck pace, but if any of our players can do it, it’ll be him. Welker is a different player this season. He seems more muscular, stronger, faster, quicker, angrier, more aggressive…

wes-welker-b51a58a82fa30447.jpg

Rob Gronkowski now has 44 catches for 596 yards and 6 TD’s. He’ll need to average 50.5 yards/game through the remaining 8 contests to achieve his first 1,000-yard season. Unless he completely disappears from the offense, this is certainly an attainable feat…

07jvgronk1.jpg

Jordy Nelson has 29 catches for 570 yards (19.7 yards per catch) and 5 TD’s. He’ll need to average 53.7 yards/game through the remaining 8 contests to achieve his first 1,000-yard season. One can only fathom what incredible statistics Nelson could accrue if he weren’t the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or 4[SUP]th[/SUP] option on his own team. Nelson has a similar skill-set to the Texans’ Andre Johnson, but seems to have more “big play” ability than any receiver in the NFL...

ap-201111062020732290463.jpg

Tim Tebow, now 2-1 as a starter, has his 3-5 Broncos only one game behind the Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders (all 4-4). With 117 rushing yards, coupled with a much-improved day in the passing game, Tebow is finally being “unleashed” by the lame Bronco’s coaching staff. With any luck, the Broncos will find a way to win this hapless division. Would that be a sufficient plug for the proverbial pie holes of the black-jock-vapor-inhaling analysts? Watching the “Caste Professionals” wriggle in a worm-like manner as Tebow orchestrates win after win would be a priceless gift…

ba-raiders07_ph1_0504504374_part6.jpg

Last edited:

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I'm really hoping Welker can have a good game next week. He'll be covered by Darelle Revis quite a bit and he's supposedly the best corner in the league. If he can get 100 yards it would be huge.

wile

Master
Jordy's big play was cerebral, fake it to the outside after getting downfield getting the CB to bite then take it back inside giving Rogers plenty of room to make a throw while on the run, Those two players are on the same page, and JN is Rogers' safety valve.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I may take some heat for this but Kevin Walter is the worst starting receiver in the NFL by far. 1 reception for 5 yards! Please! There are so many more talented receivers in the league and he shouldn't be starting any longer. We don't need to keep making excuses for him any longer. He's a joke!

Not just the worst starting receiver, but the worst "by far"? I guess you no longer believe there's a Caste System, or maybe you meant your post sarcastically. Clearly, the Texans are being racist by preventing someone like Jacoby Jones, who can't block or catch or run correct routes consistently, and other black talents with tremendous athleticism and upside, from moving up the ladder by continuning to employ a honky who is solid at all aspects of the position.

Matt Schaub threw for a Duhmarcus Russell-like 119 yards yesterday. Their leading receiver had 32 yards. I don't think that makes Schaub the worst starting quarterback in the league, "by far," the game plan was to run the ball and control the clock, which worked to perfection as the Texans had two RBs rush for over 100 yards in a very one-sided win over Holmgren's Heroes.

In the four games prior to yesterday's, Walter had 19 catches for 238 yards, which averages out to 76/952 over a full season. Yeh, he's the worst starting receiver in the league by far.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Not just the worst starting receiver, but the worst "by far"? I guess you no longer believe there's a Caste System, or maybe you meant your post sarcastically.In the four games prior to yesterday's, Walter had 19 catches for 238 yards, which averages out to 76/952 over a full season. Yeh, he's the worst starting receiver in the league by far.

Yeah I saw that post and thought "there's somebody who lost money on the outcome of a game". Or a DWF, which I don't think is the case. Obviously any white guy starting at receiver in the NFL must be at least 10x better then the nearest black scrub or the caste coaches would have replaced him long ago.

On another note...what a difference a week makes! Much better results for our guys this time around. Which is why I mentioned before that sports (and especially football) is full of ups and downs, sometimes extreme, which is one of the reasons people like it so much.

backrow

Hall of Famer
View attachment 129

The leaders board from ESPN is beautiful thing right now. I'm working on my computer skills. I used the snipping tool and save the image to jpeg and then uploaded. Anybody know how I can get the image larger or better way of doing this?

what a great sight! Angerer is running away with tackles, huh! Jared Allen can challenge for the record as well...

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Simply blaming the NE defense for their loss is not an objective analysis. At halftime, the score was 0-0. Gostkowski missed a FG, Brady had 3 turnovers and Edelman had a turnover that was forced by Herzlich (but this didn't cause damage because Eli threw the pick off of his backfoot).

In more than a few posts, to see NEs defense receiving sole blame is astounding. Brady needs to step up - on offense - no? For now, he's fallen out of the elite category.

New England almost lost to a Dallas team that Philly smacked and Marshawn Lynch ran all over on Sunday (albeit minus Sean Lee).

Anak

Mentor
Simply blaming the NE defense for their loss is not an objective analysis. At halftime, the score was 0-0. Gostkowski missed a FG, Brady had 3 turnovers and Edelman had a turnover that was forced by Herzlich (but this didn't cause damage because Eli threw the pick off of his backfoot).

In more than a few posts, to see NEs defense receiving sole blame is astounding. Brady needs to step up - on offense - no? For now, he's fallen out of the elite category.

New England almost lost to a Dallas team that Philly smacked and Marshawn Lynch ran all over on Sunday (albeit minus Sean Lee).

He engineered what should have been a game winning drive to put the Patriots up with about 1 minute 31 seconds left IIRC. That's stepping up. Not elite anymore? Despite a bad patch of games these past few weeks he's still second in passing yards only 300 yards behind Brees while playing 1 game fewer, third in TDs, 3rd in QB rating and 3rd in completion %. This hardly signifies that he is "finished," it's only midway through the season, and the second half of this week's game is hopefully a positive omen that the Patriot's offense is starting to click again.

The Patriot's defense played a solid first half and an utterly lousy second replete with penalties and just dimwit, boneheaded play.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer

Agreed. The Patriot defense might have played its best game of the season (by their putrid standards). Sure, they did concede the winning score, but I thought that Manning, Victor Cruz, Mario Manningham, Jake Ballard, and Brandon Jacobs were all going to amass huge numbers against Belichick’s Blacks. Only Ballard and Cruz (to a lesser extent) were effective.

New England’s offense, as always, failed to utilize their electrifying “hurry up” when it was most needed. This loss may actually help the Patriots, as they have been notoriously awful with the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round bye and home-field advantage in the playoffs. Given their disastrous playoff history of late, I’d rather see them as the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or 4[SUP]th[/SUP] seed. They’re still in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] place, and they’ll likely regroup next week against the hated Jets.

whiteathlete33 said:
I may take some heat for this but Kevin Walter is the worst starting receiver in the NFL by far. 1 reception for 5 yards! Please! There are so many more talented receivers in the league and he shouldn't be starting any longer. We don't need to keep making excuses for him any longer. He's a joke!

I share your frustration with Walter. His play as a starter has always been wildly inconsistent, but he’s been even more disappointing over the past few weeks because of Andre Johnson’s absence. This is, quite literally, his time to shine (and it's being wasted). Houston's passing offense is tremendously hot and cold and Walter doesn't see many targets to begin with. Still, you probably should have said: “There are so many more talented white receivers who never got a chance in the league and he shouldn’t be starting any longer!”

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Agreed. The Patriot defense might have played its best game of the season (by their putrid standards). Sure, they did concede the winning score, but I thought that Manning, Victor Cruz, Mario Manningham, Jake Ballard, and Brandon Jacobs were all going to amass huge numbers against Belichick’s Blacks. Only Ballard and Cruz (to a lesser extent) were effective.

New England’s offense, as always, failed to utilize their electrifying “hurry up†when it was most needed. This loss may actually help the Patriots, as they have been notoriously awful with the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] round bye and home-field advantage in the playoffs. Given their disastrous playoff history of late, I’d rather see them as the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or 4[SUP]th[/SUP] seed. They’re still in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] place, and they’ll likely regroup next week against the hated Jets.

I share your frustration with Walter. His play as a starter has always been wildly inconsistent, but he’s been even more disappointing over the past few weeks because of Andre Johnson’s absence. This is, quite literally, his time to shine (and it's being wasted). Houston's passing offense is tremendously hot and cold and Walter doesn't see many targets to begin with. Still, you probably should have said: “There are so many more talented white receivers who never got a chance in the league and he shouldn’t be starting any longer!â€

Yes I probably should have worded it that way, Thrashen. I thought with Johnson out he would be more involved in the offense but he hasn't been. As one of only two white receivers that start in a position other than the slot he really needs to pick it up because white receivers will never get any respect at the number 1 and 2 receiver positions. After having 800 receiving yards in 2007 and 899 in 2008 he seems to have regressed.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Walter is rarely targeted, I don't know if he is struggling to get separation with Johnson out but there were plenty of times he was open with Johnson in, beating single coverage only to be looked over.

For this year Jacoby Jones has 41 targets compared to Walter's 34. Jones has caught 19 of those and Walter has caught 24, Walter has 292 yards, Jones has 290 yards and both have 6 plays over 20 yards. Jones had 4 targets yesterday, Walter had one, but to be fair they didn't throw much with two runners going over 100 yards.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you have to look at schemes. The last two to three years Walter has been used more for blocking and, unfortunately, as a decoy. The Texans offense is prolific but it's built around feeding the ball to Andre Johnson, with their all-White TEs also frequently targeted, and giving the ball to Arian Foster and now also Ben Tate in the running game. Foster is also maybe the best receiving RB in the league after Hillis.

Walter is very solid in all components of the position; he's one of the better number two receivers in the league. The best proof of that is the fact that every year there is pressure from the media and DWFs to replace Walter (usually with Jacoby Jones although any black receiver would make them happy), and it's yet to happen.

foobar75

Master
One of the announcers mentions that Sanzenbacher is on the field, and then all 3 burst into laughter.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
One of the announcers mentions that Sanzenbacher is on the field, and then all 3 burst into laughter.

What? I'm going to have to turn the game on and see what is going on.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, Forte has something like 5.4 ypc and over 1k yards from scrimmage. he's a very solid back.

how's Conte playing?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Urlacher's having another monster game -- 9 tackles already, 8 of them solo, along with 2 pass defenses.

foobar75

Master
Perfectly thrown ball by Cutler, dropped by bum Roy Williams.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Julius Peppers is playing big tonight.

He has 2 tackles, one of which was a sack in which he was unblocked, and a pass defense. I've been watching him and he looks slow and ineffective on most plays.

foobar75

Master
Julius Peppers is playing big tonight.
Can you tell us about some more affletes who are playing tonight? I really, really want to know.