Riley Cooper

Wes Woodhead

Mentor
Riley Cooper has been admirable in the way he's handled himself. He showed genuine contrition, but didn't weep or otherwise emasculate himself.

I wouldnt call him admirable at all. He should have issued no apology at all. He has no reason to show "genuine contrition". He should be using this media attention to expose the double standards.

Shadowlight

Master
Yes the media is making a mountain out of a molehill and yes the media profits financially with these kinds of stories. It is a very minor story and one should never assume if a guy uses the N word that he is racist. Reading peoples minds is not all that easy look at that true monster from Cleveland who just got sentenced for 1000 years.. For all we know Cooper has a lot of black friends etc.. Maybe he was trying to be a hipster by the looks of him thats the feeling I come away with but it is sad that there is so much exploitative media attention.
Most reasonable people feel that certain words really shouldn't be bandied about but in the end isn't it ironic that for us starved for white athletes to perform at the glamour positions like WR and coming on the heels of an injury it looked as if Cooper secured a starting spot, that all this crap should come down. Why the F didn't this happen to a white offensive lineman or field goal kicker instead for crying out loud.
We ARE cursed.

foreverfree

Mentor
it seems Vick might be having a change of heart on his forgiveness, maybe his teammates didn't approve of the apology

"No," Vick said. "That's the thing. That's not the guy we know. We know Riley."

Vick paused for a second.

"Or maybe we don't," he said.

Where did you see or read that?

John

dwid

Hall of Famer
Where did you see or read that?

John

a pretty hateful article trying to divide the lockerroom grasping at small quotes

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...delphia-eagles-wide-receiver-mistake-cost-job

Vick wouldn't divulge exactly what he said -- "I was in a different mood yesterday," he said -- but the message touched on the power of second chances and forgiveness.

"I tried to defuse it for a day, but I can't make it go away," Vick said. "I can't do that. It's too big."

"No," Vick said. "That's the thing. That's not the guy we know. We know Riley."

Vick paused for a second.

"Or maybe we don't," he said.

the rest is filled in by the author, automatically assuming Cooper has devided the lockerrom and has lost his job. Has any of these "journalists" actually played on a team before? you don't have to like all of your teammates. Teams are already racially divided with who hangs out with who. It sounds like Vick forgave but it didn't go to well with some of his other teammates. Avant forgave. And as long as Vick is willing to throw him the ball and he has at least one guy on his side with the wide receiving corps he shouldn't be too bad off. But yeah, this is looking like its Vick's job for sure now.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
dwid notice who the author is. Another diverse hire for ESPN.. It's not as if Black players were not already trying to headhunt Riley him being a white receiver and all.

Truthteller

Mentor
Yes the media is making a mountain out of a molehill and yes the media profits financially with these kinds of stories. It is a very minor story and one should never assume if a guy uses the N word that he is racist. Reading peoples minds is not all that easy look at that true monster from Cleveland who just got sentenced for 1000 years..

I don't disagree with your post in total. Matter of fact, I agree with most of it. Where I disagree is that this will be beneficial financially to ESPN. It might increase ratings (slightly) in the short term, but it could hurt them long term, looking at how many whites are pro-Riley on ESPN.com's own message boards.

It appears American's (including DWF's) are getting sick and tired of the sewer pipe rubbish being pumped into their houses, via the Bristol, Connecticut based Marxist network.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/july/should-espn-be-worried-about-declining-ratings.html

Almost a third of their prime time ratings (which were never real high to begin with) have vanished in the last year. Reading various message boards (from many different sites), it seems a lot fans are sick and tired of the MSNBC/TMZ garbage ESPN spews out on a daily basis. Their ratings will no doubt continue to decline, as Fox and NBC sports get more established.

davidholly

Mentor
I don't disagree with your post in total. Matter of fact, I agree with most of it. Where I disagree is that this will be beneficial financially to ESPN. It might increase ratings (slightly) in the short term, but it could hurt them long term, looking at how many whites are pro-Riley on ESPN.com's own message boards.

It appears American's (including DWF's) are getting sick and tired of the sewer pipe rubbish being pumped into their houses, via the Bristol, Connecticut based Marxist network.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/july/should-espn-be-worried-about-declining-ratings.html

Almost a third of their prime time ratings (which were never real high to begin with) have vanished in the last year. Reading various message boards (from many different sites), it seems a lot fans are sick and tired of the MSNBC/TMZ garbage ESPN spews out on a daily basis. Their ratings will no doubt continue to decline, as Fox and NBC sports get more established.

Cable companies will be happy about this. ESPN is the most expensive basic cable channel on earth. ESPN should be worried, cable companies are dying for a reason to move them to a sports package or get cheaper rates.

bigunreal

Mentor
isn't it ironic that for us starved for white athletes to perform at the glamour positions like WR and coming on the heels of an injury it looked as if Cooper secured a starting spot, that all this crap should come down. Why the F didn't this happen to a white offensive lineman or field goal kicker instead for crying out loud.
We ARE cursed.

Isn't it, though? We are no more "cursed" than the Kennedys are. What a coincidence, along the same lines of Leonard, Hester and Gerhart getting drafted by the worst teams possible was a coincidence.

The one bright spot in all this are the comments you can see anywhere on the internet where this overblown p.c. "crime" is discussed. Profootballtalk, run by NBC and the odious Mike Florio, has been running about 90% pro-Cooper comments. I know from personal experience that they censor rational comments there, so they must be so overwhelmed by irate white fans that they simply can't suppress them all.

As for Cooper, I hope he's reading this. I actually think it's possible he is. And that he takes heart, summons up some 1776-vintage courage, and tells the truth. That's all- just tell the truth. No "hate" necessary. Just simple, obvious truth. If he doesn't, a golden opportunity to confront the Caste System will be lost.

Come on, Riley- you have the DWFs on your side here! Please don't be deluded into thinking your apologies and your "sensitivity" classes will permit you to ever resume your NFL career, with the Eagles or any other team. Speak out- we're all behind you.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Most reasonable people feel that certain words really shouldn't be bandied about but in the end isn't it ironic that for us starved for white athletes to perform at the glamour positions like WR and coming on the heels of an injury it looked as if Cooper secured a starting spot, that all this crap should come down. Why the F didn't this happen to a white offensive lineman or field goal kicker instead for crying out loud.
We ARE cursed.

Depends how you look at it. The only reason Cooper wasn't cut immediately was because of Jeremy Maclin's injury a few days before.

As far as "speaking out," do we really want that to come from someone who said the n-word while drunk at a concert? What's his "cause" going to be, the right to yell ****** in public? If he "speaks out" he'll have close to no credibility and the media will quickly forget him after his kamikaze ending to his football career.

I find this whole "if just one White athlete would speak out" wish to be similar to those who still pine for "the man on the white horse" to come along and run for President and save the country.

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
I wouldnt call him admirable at all. He should have issued no apology at all. He has no reason to show "genuine contrition". He should be using this media attention to expose the double standards.

I have to agree with WW on this one. I posted earlier that the apology is what's killing him and very uncomfortable and nauseating to watch. I don't know how to explain it, but I really didn't believe him, it was almost an apology for getting caught not for actually saying the word n*gger.

As I stated, he should have said, I here this word all the time, I grew up hearing it from family, my friends, not to mention, the brotha's use it all the time. It just came out, I repeated a word I've heard all my life. We've all repeated curse words we've heard in the same manner, he said it, there, let's move on.

With that said, I feel really bad for RC, this thing took off too fast and he got cornered before he knew what to do and the media took advantage of him and tore him apart. Riley Cooper was not prepared to stand his ground and fight this thing. The short, quick thing for him to do was what he did, but we see where that got him, possibly cut and maybe kicked out of the NFL. How much worse could it have been had he been prepared to talk about all the racial injustice done to white players? Maybe, just maybe if he had stepped back for just a minute and thought and said what we all see, maybe other white players would come forward, Maybe.

Imagine what would happen if other white players would step up and say if you do this to RC, we will quit. We'll get our attorneys, we'll raise some hell the way uneducated, unemployed idiots do for other causes. It may never happen, but it sure would be interesting, to see a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc. back RC by saying we're not coming back until these issues are addressed!

Last edited:

Hawkeye2

Mentor
You are absolutely correct in saying there is only outrage because he is a white guy playing a black position. I actually heard a caller on the radio say that yesterday. Where was this outrage when Rashad Mendenhall attacked a bunch a white people on twitter for celebrating Bin Ladin's death?
The reality is black people only support black people.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Depends how you look at it. The only reason Cooper wasn't cut immediately was because of Jeremy Maclin's injury a few days before.

As far as "speaking out," do we really want that to come from someone who said the n-word while drunk at a concert? What's his "cause" going to be, the right to yell ****** in public? If he "speaks out" he'll have close to no credibility and the media will quickly forget him after his kamikaze ending to his football career.

I find this whole "if just one White athlete would speak out" wish to be similar to those who still pine for "the man on the white horse" to come along and run for President and save the country.

Yeah Don, but RC really didn't help his cause by making that nauseous apology. It wasn't believable to me. I wished he could have taken a little more time to think about what to say or get some help as to what to say. It's a gamble either way as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe he isn't the one to speak out, but no one has had the guts to yet and if one would, maybe others would step up.

If no one ever speaks out, then what is the answer?

Deus Vult

Mentor
As far as "speaking out," do we really want that to come from someone who said the n-word while drunk at a concert? What's his "cause" going to be, the right to yell ****** in public? If he "speaks out" he'll have close to no credibility...

Face it pro-white brothers, our guy is caught doing something tasteless in this instance. Yes, the public drunkenness AND the use of the ultimate verboten word. He did embarrass his employer. NFL players are public figures, he got caught doing something he always knew would not be viewed favorably.

The ensuing controversy is WAAAAAYYY out of line. He committed no crime. Black (and white) players and commentators who wonder aloud whether he can ever be forgiven are ridiculous. What he did falls somewhere between inappropriate and tasteless -- no more than that.

However, to Don's point, if RC had been caught by network cameras on the field, called opposing DBs or LBs ******s, offering to "fight every ******" on the defensive squad, retaliating for the overt racial hostility he received from black bigots, THEN he would be a HERO. Then he could hold his head high and speak out for an aggrieved subset of players. He would have the moral high ground.

In this case he does not hold the moral high ground. I hate that for him, and for us. The response is terribly overblown, but he should not have put himself in such a situation.

foobar75

Master
Face it pro-white brothers, our guy is caught doing something tasteless in this instance. Yes, the public drunkenness AND the use of the ultimate verboten word. He did embarrass his employer. NFL players are public figures, he got caught doing something he always knew would not be viewed favorably.

The ensuing controversy is WAAAAAYYY out of line. He committed no crime. Black (and white) players and commentators who wonder aloud whether he can ever be forgiven are ridiculous. What he did falls somewhere between inappropriate and tasteless -- no more than that.

However, to Don's point, if RC had been caught by network cameras on the field, called opposing DBs or LBs ******s, offering to "fight every ******" on the defensive squad, retaliating for the overt racial hostility he received from black bigots, THEN he would be a HERO. Then he could hold his head high and speak out for an aggrieved subset of players. He would have the moral high ground.

In this case he does not hold the moral high ground. I hate that for him, and for us. The response is terribly overblown, but he should not have put himself in such a situation.

This post by Deus Vult, along with Don's latest entry, are the thread winners, IMO, in a thread full of some great responses.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I really hope Riley survives this and prospers this year. I read an article today stating that several NFL execs say he will be picked up by another team if he is cut by the Eagles.

The Hock

Master
A lot of the incident seems to stem from Riley have Big Head Syndrome. What do you mean I can't come backstage? Don't you know who I am? Why you n*****r! This has sure cut him down to size, and hopefully he'll be better for it. And if he gets a chance to prove himself on the field he needs to run with it. Literally. Get focused. Make plays.

That's what got Randy Moss off the hook so many times.

That's if (big if) Riley gets a chance.

Gibbon

Guru
One, it appears a "race-war" has broken out on message boards at various websites (ESPN.com, NFL.com) and you can tell the race of most of the posters due to their Facebook accounts. It seems over 90% of whites (men and women) are backing Cooper, while the vast majority of blacks want to see him gone. While blacks may think they are an important fan base, I'd assume whites make up North of 95% of the leagues' season ticket holders and are more important to sponsors. Last thing the NFL needs, is have the Limbaugh/Hannity crowd upset at them, as they see Cooper as the NFL equivalent of George Zimmerman. I think this is already happening.

I've noticed this in New England especially, as pointed out by another poster, on the call in programs. Whites calling in seem to view it correctly as a politically correct witch hunt.

This strongly illustrates one point:

As pathetic as it is, most white men now put more stock in what an athlete thinks than perhaps any other public figure .i.e. they'd be much less inclined to stand up for, say, a politician or a movie star in the same scenario (philosophers, scientists and genuine thinkers are unknown to them, so they are not worth listing as examples).

One notices this in microcosm in his own life among most men in most settings (particularly men of the more conventional, ostensibly "manly" sort).

Most men are disproportionately impressed by male friends who were relatively successful as athletes (i.e. may have been exceptional in High School, may have succeeded at the college level, may even have been a minor league athlete, etc). This man can be otherwise unexceptional and uninteresting but male groupings still attach a higher prestige to him despite the real world meaninglessness of his former athletic success.

So really it'd be brilliant if a great and famous athlete were able to articulate some of the themes expressed on this site and still remain successful in his sport. It could very well be a game changer.

The problem is: 1) nearly all athletes are strongly conformist (they are deeply attracted to the idea of a "team" and, indeed, require a team to do their job well) and 2) few, whatever their innate intelligence, are knowledgable, interested or articulate enough to make these points cogently.

But it is indeed interesting to see these DWFs stand up for an athlete in this scenario (as if he were the very same ex-high school quarterback they still kiss the ass of at the summer Barbecue) yet are completely ignorant of the many very intelligent people making brilliant and serious arguments defending their race. And, of course, when they very occasionally become aware of these obscure "radicals" they are as likely to pour scorn on them as the most ardent anti-white leftist. I mean, after all, these "white supremacist" losers couldn't even make the practice squad of their local pro team. Hence, of course they are wrong.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed this in New England especially, as pointed out by another poster, on the call in programs. Whites calling in seem to view it correctly as a politically correct witch hunt.

This strongly illustrates one point:

As pathetic as it is, most white men now put more stock in what an athlete thinks than perhaps any other public figure .i.e. they'd be much less inclined to stand up for, say, a politician or a movie star in the same scenario (philosophers, scientists and genuine thinkers are unknown to them, so they are not worth listing as examples).

One notices this in microcosm in his own life among most men in most settings (particularly men of the more conventional, ostensibly "manly" sort).

Most men are disproportionately impressed by male friends who were relatively successful as athletes (i.e. may have been exceptional in High School, may have succeeded at the college level, may even have been a minor league athlete, etc). This man can be otherwise unexceptional and uninteresting but male groupings still attach a higher prestige to him despite the real world meaninglessness of his former athletic success.

So really it'd be brilliant if a great and famous athlete were able to articulate some of the themes expressed on this site and still remain successful in his sport. It could very well be a game changer.
The problem is: 1) nearly all athletes are strongly conformist (they are deeply attracted to the idea of a "team" and, indeed, require a team to do their job well) and 2) few, whatever their innate intelligence, are knowledgable, interested or articulate enough to make these points cogently.

But it is indeed interesting to see these DWFs stand up for an athlete in this scenario (as if he were the very same ex-high school quarterback they still kiss the ass of at the summer Barbecue) yet are completely ignorant of the many very intelligent people making brilliant and serious arguments defending their race. And, of course, when they very occasionally become aware of these obscure "radicals" they are as likely to pour scorn on them as the most ardent anti-white leftist. I mean, after all, these "white supremacist" losers couldn't even make the practice squad of their local pro team. Hence, of course they are wrong.

Very good post. I didn't intend to but ended up watching a fair amount of the induction ceremonies at Canton today, and the theme echoed more than any other was the bond between teammates, especially on successful teams. I think a lot of White professional football players would react with extreme hostility to someone trying to make the CF argument to them, similar to how many fine military and ex-military men believe one hundred percent in the saying that all soldiers bleed red and that's the only color they see.

The bonding mantra is pushed constantly by NFL coaches and by players seen as leaders; this is one of the reasons the reaction to Cooper has been so harsh. Of course the racial double standards and hypocrisy are beyond absurd and are totally indefensible, but this is part of the "devil's bargain" used to get blacks to buy into the dynamics of sports and its accompanying Caste System and, from the perspective of the PTB, into the system (the larger society) itself.

None of us know Riley Cooper personally; we have no idea what his value system is. To think that because he blurted out the word ****** while drunk he therefore has knowledge of the Caste System, doesn't like it, and should become a public spokesman against it is to not be realistic. To do other than what he's done is to ask for the ridicule and hate already unleashed against him to be ramped up fifty fold, not to mention the instant end of his football career.

We've remarked here a number of times about the undeniable change in the tone of comments after articles the past few years, with more aware people posting, not just on sports and the Caste System but all the other issues of the day. Perhaps Caste Football has been an important part of laying the groundwork for all the support Cooper is getting on talk shows and internet sites. That's the only way to bring down the Caste System; whether enough people can be reached to do so is a different question, but it's never going to be changed by the owners and general managers out of the goodness of their hearts; public opinion and the ways it can be used as leverage are what will bring about the changes we would like.

Gibbon

Guru
Very good post. I didn't intend to but ended up watching a fair amount of the induction ceremonies at Canton today, and the theme echoed more than any other was the bond between teammates, especially on successful teams. I think a lot of White professional football players would react with extreme hostility to someone trying to make the CF argument to them, similar to how many fine military and ex-military men believe one hundred percent in the saying that all soldiers bleed red and that's the only color they see.

Thank you. Great analogy. And no doubt these white athletes, understandably, develop a great attachment to the blacks they play with (and rely on as teammates). Caste Football arguments would be interpreted as an implicit to explicit diminishment of the accomplishments of these, in most cases, fond associates.

Maybe the most realistic scenario for a great and famous athlete to "come out" is to be a retiree able to make the arguments "diplomatically" with all the careful acknowledgements dutifully made to the black athletes they played with .i.e. "None of this should be an interpreted as a diminishment of the accomplishments of the many, many great black athletes I played with [obligatory recitation and specific praise of those athletes] but..."

But again, most of these guys are conformists who need the fawning of the crowd, broadcasters and teammates. Not being invited to post-career barbecues by their black teammates and formerly fawning broadcasters would hurt them much more than it would hurt us. And again, asking one of them to make arguments that are both reasoned, cogent and relatively diplomatic (which would serve their effectiveness) is, in most cases, asking a bit too much. This would be a lot to ask of even a retired academic (not that the great majority (i.e. DWFs) cares or is aware of what academics say).

Last edited:

bigunreal

Mentor
Having seen this story too many times, I just have no confidence that it won't end the way it did for John Rocker, Al Campanis and so many others. If Cooper plays another down in the NFL, I will be shocked.

I also would love to know what Tebow would say about his old college teammate, if asked by the press (and it is a bit strange he hasn't been asked). But then again, with the way Belichick controls things in NE, I doubt he'd say anything anyhow. Still, it would be nice to see him say a few kind words about his favorite college WR. In the public mind, though, Cooper's "crime" is probably akin to Hernandez's alleged serial killing spree.

Hang in there, Riley- we're behind you.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Say Cooper does play this season, how long will he last? You just know the racist blacks are going to try to take him out as quickly as possibly so don't be surprised if a season ending injury occurs the first game of year.