Riley Cooper

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I was just skimming through Eggles news to see how Riley Cooper did in the mini-camp earlier this month, and I came across this review from the team's website:

RILEY COOPER, wide receiver

He is a big body who isn't the most fluid receiver in the group, but Cooper sure made his presence felt. He seemed to increase his comfort level very noticeably from Friday until Sunday. Cooper caught a pretty fade pass from quarterback Michael Vick in the left corner of the end zone and he got his hands on some tough passes and made excellent catches. Cooper was sure handed, ran good routes and was everything the Eagles expected him to be.

Cooper has a long way to go to master this offense, no question about it. He is in the infant stages of learning the scheme. But he is off to a good start. Cooper made excellent strides in his bid to find a place on this roster. The wide receiver group as a whole was excellent -- Hank Baskett was terrific, in particular -- and players like Jordan Norwood and Dobson Collins and some of the younger players are going to make this a competitive position to watch in training camp.

According to most team observers, Cooper is in a battle for the number 4 receiver spot behind LeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Jason Avant.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
I was just skimming through Eggles news to see how Riley Cooper did in the mini-camp earlier this month, and I came across this review from the team's website:
<div></div>
<div>RILEY COOPER, wide receiver

He is a big body who isn't the most fluid receiver in the group, but Cooper sure made his presence felt. He seemed to increase his comfort level very noticeably from Friday until Sunday. Cooper caught a pretty fade pass from quarterback Michael Vick in the left corner of the end zone and he got his hands on some tough passes and made excellent catches. Cooper was sure handed, ran good routes and was everything the Eagles expected him to be.

Cooper has a long way to go to master this offense, no question about it. He is in the infant stages of learning the scheme. But he is off to a good start. Cooper made excellent strides in his bid to find a place on this roster. The wide receiver group as a whole was excellent -- Hank Baskett was terrific, in particular -- and players like Jordan Norwood and Dobson Collins and some of the younger players are going to make this a competitive position to watch in training camp.
</div>

According to most team observers, Cooper is in a battle for the number 4 receiver spot behind LeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, and Jason Avant.
<div>
</div>

Ohh great! He's going to have to do his racial apprenticeship behind these incredible affletes.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
not fluid? really? pfft. and it's no surprise the Cooper is having to put "his hands on some tough passes and(make) excellent catches." after all, look he had throwing to him.
smiley2.gif

the complete turds they mentioned in the above posts are horrid ... in a fair world, if a player couldn't beat out those gimps then he wouldn't deserve to make the roster. but in the Caste System, only a dark skin allows one's talent to be seen. else, the mandatory racial apprenticeship/5-year-jerf-around begins.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
not fluid? really? pfft. and it's no surprise the Cooper is having to put "his hands on some tough passes and(make) excellent catches." after all, look he had throwing to him.
smiley2.gif

<div></div>
<div>the complete turds they mentioned in the above posts are horrid ... in a fair world, if a player couldn't beat out those gimps then he wouldn't deserve to make the roster. but in the Caste System, only a dark skin allows one's talent to be seen. else, the mandatory racial apprenticeship/5-year-jerf-around begins. </div>

He probably doesn't have the loose hips of Jackson,Maclin, and Avant.
smiley2.gif
With all these white receivers on the only one that will stick is Cooper. The others will be forced to stay on practice squads for other teams for their entire careers.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Even in what is basically a complementary write-up, there are two putdowns. One is the "not fluid" claim, a corollary from the "tight hips" and "not the greatest athlete" schools of Caste-speak.
Then there's "Cooper has a long way to go to master this offense, no question about it." Isn't that true of every player in NFL history during the first few days of his rookie season? Talk about a superfluous statement.

I wouldn't call DeSean Jackson and Maclin "complete turds"; Jackson in particular has a lot of talent despite being yet another prima donna and Maclin had a pretty good rookie year. Avant is mediocre, but since his forgettable career stats have slowly but surely improved each season the DWFs think he's on the verge of stardom, much the way they still hold out hope for Jabar Gaffney and a slew of other interchangeable black receivers.

The Eagles offense looks to be very potent with Kolb, at least by next season; Cooper has the talent to excel, it's all a matter of how long his racial apprenticeship is on the Black Eagles.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
I wouldn't call DeSean Jackson and Maclin "complete turds" ...

Don, neither did i.
smiley2.gif
the players mentioned in the report (not the ones mentioned by Football Dad)were Baskett (we know how awful he is), Jordan Norwood (who is shorter than 5-11, barely cracks a 4.6 40, and despite starting 4 years at Penn State only had more than 500 yards in a season one time), and Dobson Collins (who?!?).

allegedly, these are the players who have a shot to keep Cooper off the field. but seriously, those guys are turds.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Don Wassall said:
I wouldn't call DeSean Jackson and Maclin "complete turds" ...

Don, neither did i.
smiley2.gif
the players mentioned in the report (not the ones mentioned by Football Dad)were Baskett (we know how awful he is), Jordan Norwood (who is shorter than 5-11, barely cracks a 4.6 40, and despite starting 4 years at Penn State only had more than 500 yards in a season one time), and Dobson Collins (who?!?).

allegedly, these are the players who have a shot to keep Cooper off the field. but seriously, those guys are turds.
smiley36.gif

Gottcha, JC. But you mean you wouldn't want to build your dream receiving corps around Hank Baskett, Jordan Norwood and Dobson Collins?
smiley3.gif

Westside

Hall of Famer
Baskett, how many lives this scrub allowed? This is the guy who cost his team the Superbowl and Manning a ring with his alligator arms on that on on side punt by the Saints.

This guy is known for two things. The infamous moment I just mentioned and being married to a white lizard woman, who was banged mercifulessly by 84 year old Mr Hefner, then tossed to a trolling affelet at the Playboy mansion. Excellent caste couple.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I agree with Don's analysis on Jackson, Maclin and Avant. Avant could actually be a pretty good slot receiver or maybe a decent #2, but I still think he'd be a poorer version of Hass (drafted the same year) if Hass actually got an opportunity that he so gravely deserves.

Hank Baskett SHOULD BE a fringe NFL player, but he has his stupid Playboy (overrated on looks) GF who is a gold digging, boob job ditz. Cooper would have a chance to fight Maclin for the #2 job w/o the caste system, although Maclin would be the front runner at this point.

Ryan Wolfe and Pat Simmonds were signed by the Eagles if I'm not mistaken. Simmonds looks like he might be a solid NFL #4 WR type who could work his way up to some playing time as an outside WR, but would have to prove himself a bit more being a small school player (he has great size and has some Todd Blythe like qualities to him). Wolfe might be a POOR MAN'S Austin Collie/ Issac Bruce type (although Bruce was used more as a vertical threat than Collie- so far, in his prime, their measurements, skill and style are similar)- who could fight for a #2 WR or slot spot, on some team, if fair.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I misstated that, Ryan Wolfe signed with the Falcons. Pat Simonds and Kevin Jurovich signed as UFAs with the Eagles. Jurovich is a guy who has the potential to top out as a good #2 Flanker WR or a quality slot man.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I misstated that, Ryan Wolfe signed with the Falcons. Pat Simonds and Kevin Jurovich signed as UFAs with the Eagles. Jurovich is a guy who has the potential to top out as a good #2 Flanker WR or a quality slot man.

Jurovich could be a starter on a number of teams. The fact that he wasn't drafted and his skin color makes me think he may not even make a roster. I think he will have to face Mike Hass treatment for his entire career.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article that is complimentary toward Cooper but still is filled with Caste-speak and contradictions. Firstthe authorwrites that Cooper "isn't going to be outrunning defensive backs in this league," then a few sentences later writes, "He's not a burner but he has been able to get behind some of the defensive backs at these OTA workouts." Uh, didn't you just claim he can't outrun defensive backs? Then this in the next sentence: "Cooper isn't going to be beating NFL cornerbacks deep on a consistent basis but he'll be fine as long as he uses his size when the ball is in the air." Well, how many WRs do beat NFL cornerbacks deep on a consistent basis? None that I can think of, though Drew Bennett when the Billy Volek to Bennett combination was utilized in the second half of the '04 season comes to mind.And Randy Moss at his peak. (And going back a little farther, Steve Buerlein to Patrick Jeffers in '99). He's obsessed with Cooper's supposed lack of speed when in reality he hasexcellent speed for his size. The speed of a black receiver with identical measurables to Cooper would berecognized as just another of his many strengths.
Taking all that into consideration, and then add in Cooper's size, hands, jumping ability and smarts, and it's absurd that the article is speculating whether Cooper can beat out celebrity journeyman Hank Baskett instead of laudingRiley as the first round draft pick he should have been.

Riley Cooper And Hank Baskett Are Headed For A Tough Camp Battle

Somebody needs to tell veteran Eagles wide receiver Hank Baskett that he's going to be faced with a tremendous challenge for his job from rookie wide out Riley Cooper.

Cooper is 6"²4"³ and weighs 225 pounds and has done a good job of digesting the west coast offense so far. He is the one rookie wide receiver out here for the OTA's who has been consistent.

Despite the fact that he said he's not counting how many wide receivers the Eagles are going keep, you and I know the youngsters realizes he has a tough battle ahead of him. He seems to be a focused young man and I expect him to have a good shot at making this football team.

He seems to operate well inside which isn't a surprise when you consider his size. I like the way he squares off at the end of his curl and hook routes in order to give his quarterback a good target, then he comes back to the ball.

This is going to be important going forward because Cooper isn't going to be outrunning defensive backs in this league, so he'll need to be fundamentally sound in every way in order to get open, consistently.

He catches everything that hits his hands which will be extremely important if he's going to be making a living catching balls in traffic. Like his teammate Jason Avant, he has to be willing to take a hit to make a catch.

The Birds need a wide receiver, who can be a factor in the red zone and Cooper may have the size and sure hands to do just that. He also has the ability jump which will be another factor when trying to come down with the football in the red zone.

He's not a burner but he has been able to get behind some of the defensive backs at these OTA workouts. Cooper isn't going to be beating NFL cornerbacks deep on a consistent basis but he'll be fine as long as he uses his size when the ball is in the air.

He should have the "Michael Irvin"Â￾mindset of pushing defensive backs around until the referee calls an offensive pass interference penalty. He'll find out that the refs will let a wide receiver get away with robbery as long as they do it every time.

Cooper is also willing to play special teams, which could be the difference in him making the team or not. If he's willing to cover kicks and block on returns, he might have himself a job in the fall.

His battle with Baskett will be an interesting story in this summer's training camp.
http://www.gcobb.com/2010/05/26/riley-cooper-and-hank-baskett-are-headed-for-a-tough-camp-battle/Edited by: Don Wassall

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The typical caste speak. What a joke. Some things never change. I just hope he gets a chance because if he does, he might just put up some big numbers. Even Wes Welker was not appreciated until he went to New England! Does it ever stop?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Not a single white receiver taken in this draft is given credit for their athleticism. I've read scouting reports for all the white receivers and every single one is considered a "high motor guy" with "limited athleticism."

gatorprideFL

Riley Cooper isn't fast?
That is a joke, seriously his own teammates in college talked publicly about his speed.
can't remember which brothers name, about 2 years ago i read an article on gatorsports.com
that quoted basically the whole receiving core talking about how cooper had the best top end speed on the entire receiving core!!!!
don't u need top end speed to blow by somebody?
He's just too big to have great 40 times but i am telling you i watched Percy Harvin running down the sidelines with one man to beat, and no harvin did not slow up he was trying to beat the guy to the sideline, and Cooper blew by him, no lie.
Like he was standing still.
Wish i could remember which game.
Don't do drugs guys they're hard on your memory.

gatorprideFL

Cooper laid one hell of a block on the guy and of course Gator Touchdown!!
Hey he's a great blocker too can make randy moss like catches, i will say he was a little inconsistent but he is really talented.
Reminds me of an Ed Mcaffrey.
But bigger, stronger and faster.
These idiots dont even do their research anymore they just look at the melanin and type.
Hey at least he'll probably get a little credit for his blocking.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
GPFL, these caste lackeys don't have an inkling of what they're (attempting to) talk about. They spew the horse$#1t rhetoric like reading from a (cultural marxist) script. Cooper's a stud with loads of talent. IF given a chance, he'll be a stud in the NFL.

JReb1

Mentor
Urban even said that Cooper was one of his fastest players as did Tebow. Cooper has great top end speed and game speed. It will be a complete Caste decision if he doesn't start over HB because the Marxists just love to shove his white wife and mongrel baby in our faces, why else would a below average 5th string type WR be on every cover of rags at the checkout lines...
smiley42.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another article on Cooper. It mentions race, but mostly in a favorable manner; it also prominently mentions a mistakeCooper made in practice, showing again how any errors by a White football player, even a rookie,tend to be greatly magnified. A few of the comments after the article are interesting. I particularly like the one from Carlos2: "The time is coming very soon when writers and TV commentators will be risking their jobs by making coded references to white athletes....just as they do now with black athletes. Denying white athletes jobs based on stereotyping is not acceptable. Most of the offending commentators are white."

<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; transparent: ">Cooper could be big target at wideout for Eagles
<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; transparent: ">
<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; transparent: ">THE FIRST THING you notice about Eagles rookie receiver Riley Cooper - well, maybe the second, after the hair that flows out the back of his helmet - is his size.
<DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; transparent: ">

I know that big receivers are a rage in the NFL, but this dude is big - like tight-end big.

At 6-4 and 220 to 225 pounds, Cooper sizes up favorably with the current tight ends on the roster, Brent Celek, Cornelius Ingram and Clay Harbor.

It's not a stretch to think that, at some point, one of his coaches considered having Cooper gain 10 to 15 pounds and putting him at the end of the line of scrimmage.

But those coaches obviously were smart enough to recognize that in addition to his size, Cooper had speed. Not DeSean Jackson or Jeremy Maclin speed, but enough to make him a valuable weapon as a wideout.

"I can run a little bit, so I guess that probably was the thing that kept me from the tight-end spot," said Cooper, who played in 51 games and made 28 starts at the University of Florida.

Good hands, good speed and great size - the Eagles are solid at wide receiver with Jackson, Maclin and Jason Avant, but none of those guys is taller than 6 feet.

That's why Cooper, who was drafted in the fifth round (159th overall), has an opportunity to make a favorable impression with the Eagles' coaches.

The only other receiver on the roster with Cooper's combination of attributes is the recently reacquired Hank Baskett, who is 6-4 and 220.

"It's definitely a good situation for me coming in here," said Cooper, who caught 81 passes for 1,496 yards with 18 touchdowns for the Gators. "There are some good veterans ahead of me, so there are good people to learn from.

"I'm in a good spot, and I just want to take advantage of it."

Coming off the field at the NovaCare Complex yesterday after an unusually hot and muggy May day, Cooper asked whether it always is this hot in Philadelphia?

That was funny from a guy who grew up in Clearwater, Fla.

Interestingly, Cooper might have found out about Philadelphia a bit earlier, had he signed with the Phillies after he was drafted out of Central Catholic High School in the 15th round in 2006.

In 2009, the Texas Rangers selected Cooper, who also played baseball at Florida. Cooper reportedly had a $250,000 deal waiting to be signed after football season.

But after making 51 catches for a team-high 961 yards with nine touchdowns, Cooper decided to pursue a career as a receiver instead of an outfielder.

Plenty of stereotypes remain in sports, and one of them is that a white player will be a possession receiver. The fact that Cooper, a second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection, ranked second in the SEC with a yards-per-catch average of 18.8 tells you he was not a guy who only caught passes four steps off the line of scrimmage.

He can get open for the deep ball. Cooper had seven catches for 181 yards in the Gators' 51-24 win over Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl, including an 80-yard touchdown.

"I think when I first started, guys looked at me and decided I was one of those possession receivers," he said. "I open it up and they see I can run a little bit, so then they start playing the [go routes].

"That opens everything else up. Once you show people you've got speed, they get on their heels a little bit, and that opens up other routes."

While rookie camp is only a brief introduction into what life at Eagles training camp will be like, it is still a chance to catch an early eye from the coaches, and it also is a chance to learn some valuable lessons before mistakes can become career-defining.

Yesterday toward the end of practice, Cooper had broken free on a crossing pattern and was running free in the end zone.

The incoming pass had a little loft to it, but still looked like a sure touchdown catch - in college.

Instead of going to the ball, Cooper let it come to him. At the last moment, rookie cornerback Trevard Lindley made up the ground and batted the ball away.

Lesson learned.

"That was my fault," Cooper conceded. "I definitely should've gone to the ball, but I didn't think [Lindley] would get there. But he had great makeup speed. Next time, I will come and go get that ball." *
http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/columnists/20100528_Cooper_could_be_big_target_at_wideout_for_Eagles.html#axzz0pIdo6AFm

Edited by: Don Wassall

gatorprideFL

Interesting how the article is written by a black man, it almost seems that some of the black media is more favorable towards whites than whites.

gatorprideFL

Here is some nice highlights of cooper, doesnt show his best plays though.<div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1KagXIaQxQ</div>

gatorprideFL

Here is an even better one where he blows by afflete after afflete.<div>he has blazing speed.</div><div>It takes a negro writer to actually give him some credit.</div><div>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wrmWNxm5mE</div>

I hate that he says "i can run a little bit", he can run MUCH more then a little bit and he should give himself the credit he deserves because if he dosent not many will.