Kansas City Chiefs General Thread

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Andy Reid has been lavishing praise on Perine and expects him to play in the opener. We'll get a better idea of his role and Carson Steele's on Thursday. Meantime Edwards-Helaire is still sidelined, presumably with his PTSD issue.

I'm not surprised. Last season they brought back Jerick McKinnon at the last minute to do 3rd down back stuff. Perine is not a bad back, I think that Steele will be better, and he can do a lot more. Like you said, we'll just have to wait and see.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Edwards-Helaire's rushing yards have dropped in each of his four seasons since being a first round pick -- 803, 517, 302, and 223. That includes a puny 3.2 average yards per rush last year. And a supposed receiving threat, he has but 765 yards total over those same four seasons.

It was a surprise when the Chiefs re-signed him as he was clearly a bust even before his personal issues became known. Hopefully he's a non-factor all season even if activated later on.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Edwards-Helaire's rushing yards have dropped in each of his four seasons since being a first round pick -- 803, 517, 302, and 223. That includes a puny 3.2 average yards per rush last year. And a supposed receiving threat, he has but 765 yards total over those same four seasons.

It was a surprise when the Chiefs re-signed him as he was clearly a bust even before his personal issues became known. Hopefully he's a non-factor all season even if activated later on.
I find it curious in this day and age that a team would keep a player almost as a charity case. As you document above, he has not been very good. He was a healthy scratch for many games last year in addition to missing pretty much the entire preseason. From the mythical "best players play" position there is no way he should be on the team, it's like Reid feels sorry for his issues or somesuch. It is baffling. That said, his being out is a very good sign for Steele as Pacheco isn't going to be in for every play and Perine can only be in for limited plays considering his playbook knowledge.