Kansas City Chiefs General Thread

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Carson Steele is a fullback on the Chiefs' first depth chart:

Andy Reid can't quit the fullback​

Irony: Carson Steele is listed as a fullback on the depth chart just a few days after Andy Reid said that Carson Steele is "really not a fullback." The looks we've seen in practice indicate that he can certainly be more than just a fullback. He can catch, he can block from several different spots, and he can carry the ball with the best of them. He just seems to excel at some of the things that fullbacks do well, like lead-blocking and short-yardage carries.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Carson Steele is a fullback on the Chiefs' first depth chart:

Andy Reid can't quit the fullback​

Irony: Carson Steele is listed as a fullback on the depth chart just a few days after Andy Reid said that Carson Steele is "really not a fullback." The looks we've seen in practice indicate that he can certainly be more than just a fullback. He can catch, he can block from several different spots, and he can carry the ball with the best of them. He just seems to excel at some of the things that fullbacks do well, like lead-blocking and short-yardage carries.

We will take it. It sure beats being cut or just being a special teams battering ram. It also gets him on the field more and hopefully the trust
of both the coach and Mahomes will blossom over time!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
In practice today, the first team offense featured Isaiah Pacheco, Deneric Prince and Carson Steele rotating in exclusively as RB's in a single-back set. All of the other RB's were with the second and third teams.

jacque

Guru
Would we be mad if Steele became the next Kyle Juszcyck if it meant he didn’t wind up the next Zach Zenner? Or worse, Ryan Nall

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Here's an article in Arrowhead Pride, a dedicated fan/reporting site on Steele. This attitude always grinds at me, but when you consider his UDFA status it's better than nothing. https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2024...teele-seeks-being-swiss-army-knife-of-offense

Carson Steele wants to be the ‘Swiss Army knife’ of the Chiefs’ offense​

Kansas City’s undrafted rookie running back is hoping Saturday’s exciting preseason debut is just the beginning.
By Ron Kopp

For the Kansas City Chiefs, the highlight of Saturday's 26-13 defeat to the Jacksonville Jaguars in their preseason opener was undrafted rookie running back Carson Steele introducing himself to the NFL in bully-like fashion.

Steele’s first professional carry featured two broken tackles and gained 20 yards. He then ended the drive with a fourth-and-1 handoff for a touchdown. It was an emphatic debut for a player who was listed as a fullback on the Chiefs’ first unofficial depth chart.
The most significant part of these highlights is that Steele was the single back in the formation. Midway through the second quarter, he was the fourth running back to take the field. He ended up leading the team in rushing attempts and yards — and scored the team’s only touchdown of the night.
After Monday’s training camp practice, Chiefs’ head coach Andy Reid used Steele’s performance to remind people that he can be effective at more than one position.
“You saw what he was as a running back,” Reid told reporters at Missouri Western State University in St. Joseph. “He’s learning the fullback spot as needed. We used Noah [Gray] there last year, who can still do that.”
So even though his jersey number is 42, Steele isn’t former Chiefs’ fullback Anthony Sherman. He is a more dynamic ball carrier than the team’s former No. 42, because he has been a true running back for his entire career. Learning to play fullback is just a way for Steele to show he can provide additional value.
“That was my main goal coming into camp,” he told reporters on Monday. “Trying to be like a Swiss Army knife — [to] try to do it all. Wherever they need to put me in, I can get in.”
NFL: Kansas City Chiefs at Jacksonville Jaguars
Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports
At 6 feet 1 and 228 pounds, Steele was one of the heaviest running backs in the draft class. He remembered that during his pre-draft meetings with teams, it was a “50-50 toss-up” on whether they wanted him to play running back or fullback — even though he had never played the position in college. At Ball State in 2022, he rushed for 1,556 yards and 14 touchdowns over 12 games. Those aren’t aren’t the kinds of numbers fullbacks accumulate.
But at the next level — where teams can only have 53 players on their rosters — the rookie is embracing this new opportunity for a simple reason: it can help him make the team.

“Being that bigger back for third-and-1 or third-and-2,” he noted, “I was more of the style of a fullback without being a true fullback. It kind of stuck to me — and it has really helped me get through this camp.”
After going undrafted, Steele signed with Kansas City — and was immediately given a path he could follow to make the roster.
“Talking with the coaches as I got picked up,” he recalled, “that was a thing we talked about: coming in on packages third-and-1 or third-and-2; being a bigger guy and blocking — especially catching out of the backfield.”
During training camp practices, the Chiefs have worked on formations that involve six offensive linemen and three players in three-point stances behind quarterback Patrick Mahomes: running back Isiah Pacheco, tight end Noah Gray, and Steele.
In limited looks, Steele has been a lead blocker — but that package could also provide unique ways to get him the ball on a handoff or a quick throw. Saturday’s game provided evidence that he could also improve Kansas City’s ability to convert short-yardage situations. He finishes forward — because that’s the type of runner he’s always been.
“Growing up, north and south was my big thing,” said Steele. “Straight up and down — being an older-style running back that tries to push through everything.”
Of course, the Kansas City offensive plays in which Steele might be involved are likely to be few and far between. That’s why he needs to be more than a fullback.
“If he’s going to make the team, he has to be a good special teams player,” cautioned Reid. “He has to be able to carry the football and stay aggressive like he’s doing right now.”
While there are still two preseason games that coaches will use to make depth chart decisions, Steele has already made a huge mark. He is listed at fullback because he wants to prove his versatility — but there’s not much stopping him from earning running back snaps with the first team.
The team is looking for someone to step up behind starting running back Isiah Pacheco. Steele has a chance to do it in an unexpected way.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
And in other Chiefs news, Hollywood Brown was injured in the Jacksonville game, should be out 6 weeks. So in practice Justin Watson was the one chosen to take Brown's snaps. More on Steele from everyone's favorite, Matt (Ratt) Nagy:

Nagy likes the progress of fullback/running back Carson Steele

Steele is tracking well to make the 53-man roster — and on Tuesday, he even took first-team reps after Isiah Pacheco — and before Deneric Prince. (For the second straight day, Clyde Edwards-Helaire was absent).

Steele’s game performance has translated to practice — and vice versa.

“He’s been progressively getting better and better by the day,” Nagy said of Steele. “And then you saw that with some of the runs he had [against the Jaguars]. We’re staying on top of these guys, making sure that they’re good with the details, with footwork, understanding assignments [and] where they’re at. But what I like about him is right now [is that] he’s doing a lot of good things and being in the right spot at the right time. You can trust him.”

backrow

Hall of Famer
Can you imagine if against all odds Steele manages to get into SB champ RB rotation?

SneakyQuick

Mentor
You know, if I’m Steele I think I can understand why he says he wants to do anything to help the team succeed. NFL runners have short shelf lives and so if he can make the team doing anything, it’s going to pay him a lot more than whatever he would do without the nfl.

I also understand why we don’t want talented runners with the aww shucks attitude but unless they are absolutely elite like Cmac I think this is their lot in life.

Ironically a foreigner like Rees-Zammit can afford to be a bit bolder

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Steele's biggest hurdle to overcome may be having The Rodent as KC's offensive coordinator, the man who royally screwed Ryan Nall when he was the HC in Chicago. But at least Andy Reid is in charge and Nagy works under him and will/should want to succeed in his new job if he ever wants to be a head coach again.

(Rotowire) Steele had his most reps at running back with the first-team and second-team offensive units at practice Tuesday, Jesse Newell of The Kansas City Star reports.

Analysis: Steele turned four carries into 29 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's 26-13 loss to the Jaguars, earning himself more opportunities with the top offensive packages. The 21-year-old took advantage of Clyde Edwards-Helaire (illness) missing another practice, seeing additional work over the likes of Deneric Prince and Keaontay Ingram according to Pete Sweeney of ArrowheadPride.com. Offensive coordinator Matt Nagy said Tuesday that Steele is "doing a lot of good things and being in the right spot at the right time, and that you can trust him." It's unclear what role Steele will have with the team in 2024, whether at running back or fullback, but he's doing a good job endearing himself to the coaching staff.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Most figure that Steele is a lock to make the team but Louis Rees-Zammit not so much. I'm hoping that he can at least make the practice squad so he can further learn the game, he certainly has all of the tools.

When Nick Bolton is out of the game, injured, whatever, the Chiefs will feature a snow patrol.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Most figure that Steele is a lock to make the team but Louis Rees-Zammit not so much. I'm hoping that he can at least make the practice squad so he can further learn the game, he certainly has all of the tools.

When Nick Bolton is out of the game, injured, whatever, the Chiefs will feature a snow patrol.
I'm 99 percent certain Rees-Zammitt is a lock to be on the international players practice squad exemption list so he will be a Chief for a season but as far as I know he can't be promoted during the season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
This guy was already a first round bust and it was surprising KC re-signed him. More good news for Steele and Rees-Zammit, esp. Thor:

Sports Illustrated’s Jordan Foote reports Clyde Edwards-Helaire is dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder stemming from a 2018 “self defense” incident.
Edwards-Helaire has been held out of multiple summer practices and did not play in Kansas City’s second preseason game against the Lions while dealing with PTSD symptoms. “We’re just playing it kind of by ear and how he feels,” Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said. “He started feeling better the day of the game and then he felt pretty good yesterday, so we’re heading in the right direction here. It’s a sensitive deal – we’re trying to learn as we go here.” Reid said he had not thought about placing CEH on the injured reserve list to start the regular season. Reid said the team is “trying to get him back out there and make sure he’s comfortable where he can function.” Isiah Pacheco remains the Chiefs’ lead back, with some combination of Deneric Prince and Carson Steele serving as backups for the moment.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Another positive article on Thor:

3 Chiefs Who Have Locked Up a Roster Spot Before Preseason Finale

2. Carson Steele, Running Back

The Kansas City Chiefs desperately needed to find some type of secondary weapon at the running back position behind Isiah Pacheco, and they may have stumbled upon something special in Carson Steele.

Just what the Chiefs needed, right? Another fascinating offensive weapon...

Perhaps no player on the Chiefs' roster has made more waves this offseason than Carson Steele, an undrafted free agent out of UCLA whose collegiate career started at Ball State. Steele racked up three straight seasons with over 1,000 yards from scrimmage at the collegiate level before making the jump to the NFL.

You better believe the Chiefs have been giving him some first-team reps in the preseason for something other than just a feel-good preseason story. This guy is going to be a factor for the offense:

A good training camp or preseason story is one thing. Carson Steele offers the Chiefs something for the offense that they desperately need. Isiah Pacheco can certainly break tackles, but Steele is the type of big-body running back who can help wear defenses down. We have seen the Chiefs get super creative on third-and-short situations or fourth-and-short situations.

Frankly, I felt like that was one area for Andy Reid last year where he may have gotten a little too cute throughout the course of the season. Sometimes, there's nothing wrong with just blasting the ball up the middle with a 215-pound running back who consistently breaks tackles and falls forward.

You're not going to have a lot of negative running plays when you give Carson Steele the football. He may not be ripping off a ton of 40-yard runs but he's going to help the Chiefs' offense as well as their special teams in 2024.

wile

Master
PTSD from all the inner city nazis I’m sure lol

Possible he has it, more than likely it is one of many things wrong. Our kid works in the mental health field and one practice she worked at their bread, butter and Porsches were from firemen and policemen coming in for counseling. I was astounded I thought maybe they dropped a donut on their feet or the food got cold at the firehouse, but it was the nonstop gore from mainly auto accidents. Maybe some were playing a con but it sounded legit.

TwentyTwo

Master
Thanks for the good news Don!! Was bummed when Steele went Undrafted; but encouraged when the KC Chiefs Signed him quickly as a Rookie FA! . After following him for 3 season ; we know Thor is plenty capable to get into the rotation w Pacheco.

Didn’t ptsd used to be something reserved for soldiers returning from war? Like if you are Ukrainian I get it, but what happened to this guy to justify that?
He was selling a Play Station video console and was robbed at gunpoint.. So he fatally shot the dude. Clyde is a good guy. There's a reason why they call BR LA the "Dirty South"

Warhawk_46

Master
Thanks for the good news Don!! Was bummed when Steele went Undrafted; but encouraged when the KC Chiefs Signed him quickly as a Rookie FA! . After following him for 3 season ; we know Thor is plenty capable to get into the rotation w Pacheco.

He was selling a Play Station video console and was robbed at gunpoint.. So he fatally shot the dude. Clyde is a good guy. There's a reason why they call BR LA the "Dirty South"
That sucks, wish he can get his mind right.

Steele Thor just had a fantastic night running the ball!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Many are saying that Steele has a good shot at being RB2 (albeit with a ridiculous "FB" designation). He has clearly showed more ability than Deneric Prince and CEH has those availability issues so it's going to be fun. That and Pacheco's penchant for injury could make for a big year.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Reports are that the Chiefs are acquiring Cam Thomas from the Cardinals. He would have a good chance to step in at edge opposite George Karlaftis. Now that would be something to see the Chiefs with a snow patrol and two DE's.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Chiefs are a class above when it comes to their personnel decisions lately. Thomas, another underrated lunchpailer.

*minus juju Smith bum ass.