2010 Week 16

northwinds

Mentor
Anybody watching the Patriots or Browns games please keep us posted.......here in Atlanta I'm stuck with Redskins/Jaguars or Bears/whoever. Looks like Peyton Hillis started the second half and Danny's over eighty yards....surely he'll get a 100 yard game today.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
speaking of the Patriots offense, they once again capitalize on the opposition's mistakes. this time, it was a touchdown catch by Gronkowski, his second of the game. Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Riddlewire

Master
Jimmy Chitwood said:
i wonder how bad Hillis' knee injury this week was...

I think his knee is fine.
He was speared in the back on the second play of the game, if you didn't see it. It looked like it hurt him pretty badly. I think he's complaining about it enough on the sidelines that they don't trust him to go the full way.
Honestly, I don't see what difference it makes. The Browns have a combination that spells doom for any tailback who would take snaps for them. Daboll + St. Clair = Failure.

northwinds

Mentor
Last I checked Danny is at 88 yards.....hopefully since the Pats have such a big lead they will keep running the ball....run Danny run!

northwinds

Mentor
Looks like the Pats are feeding the ball to law firm rather than Danny......law firm is over 100 yards now and Danny is stuck at 88......grrrrrrrrrr. Hillis with only 35 yards today....

northwinds

Mentor
Looks like Danny ends up with 93 yards for the day as the QB is taking a knee with under a minute to go.........c'mon Belichick.

snow

Mentor
Damn, only needed 7 yards for a 100 yard game. Well, at least he is 93 yards away from 1,000 yards from scrimmage.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I'm glad that BB wants to give his players every chance they can get to have career days, but I think Woody should have been taken out that last drive when he had 88 yards. Clearly the Bills knew Danny would be getting the ball and it just brought down his yards per carry and he still fell just short of 100 rush yards. Woody should have had his chance at 100 rushing yards EARLIER in the game (with just a few more carries) with the way he was running if BB was smart. I predict BB will try to get Woody his 1,000 all purpose yards for the season next week. Woody only needs 94 AP yards next week to reach 1000. I also expect BB to try to give BJGE a chance at 1,000 rush yards. Hopefully BB will pull his players out midway through the 3rd quarter as it looks like they will have the #1 seed wrapped up.

snow

Mentor
well now his ypc for the season is 5.5, had he stayed at 10 carries it would be 5.6, not that big of a difference, and Danny has the potential to have a big run whether the D knows it is a run or not, but it wouldve been nice to see him get a few carries in the previous drive.

Did anyone realize that today there were 2 white runningbacks facing 2 white nose tackles, Hillis vs Gregg, and Woodhead vs Kyle Williams

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I hope Gerhart goes over 100 yards rushing tonight if they limit Peterson- who's just getting over an injury- since they are out of the playoff picture.

I think Hillis will have a better game next week even though the Pittsburgh D is statistically the best rush defense in the league. This was a VERY important game for the Ravens playoff picture wise AND ego wise. McCoy is keeping the D just honest enough with his passing, but has turned over the ball too much lately. The right side of the Browns line sucks and Daboll should quit his nonsense of trying to run right as often as left to "trick" the opposing D, it's ridiculous. If the Browns can sign a free agent o-lineman for RG or RT (or if Pashos comes back strong) and they draft a productive rookie WR- I expect Hillis to have an EVEN BETTER year next year with McCoy growing up as a QB. What Hillis has done this year for the Browns with the situation he's been given here is amazing. I don't see Hardesty getting any more than 1/3 of the carries at the beginning of the year next year EVEN IF Mangini isn't back. Hillis is just too popular with fans and is actually 3rd in fan AFC RB Pro Bowl voting right now the potential fallout would be too big to demote Hillis. The only way he gets demoted to back up is if he consistently struggles with fumbles next season and Hardesty noticeably out produces him in efficiency as well. Still, barring injury I'd be VERY shocked if Hillis has less than 200 carries next year.

As much as I'd like to see Woodhead get more touches as he's more like Jamal Charles than Kevin Faulk, he IS getting slightly more touches than Faulk got the last couple years. Woodhead is clearly a shiftier all round scat back than Faulk and clearly has better burst and speed. Faulk close to equals Woody with his vision, instincts, power, X-Y form of agility and hands though.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
snow said:
well now his ypc for the season is 5.5, had he stayed at 10 carries it would be 5.6, not that big of a difference, and Danny has the potential to have a big run whether the D knows it is a run or not, but it wouldve been nice to see him get a few carries in the previous drive.Did anyone realize that today there were 2 white runningbacks facing 2 white nose tackles, Hillis vs Gregg, and Woodhead vs Kyle Williams

I was meaning more about a possible injury though- although I just implied it and didn't say it (knock on wood). I didn't think it was smart to try to get Woody his 100 rush yards in that predictable run situation with the game over when they could have brought in Fred Taylor or Sammy Morris. The Pats had already taken Brady out. The Bills were pissed and when Woody lowered his shoulder on that run to get an extra yard or two the defender had a few words for him. It's just good that there were no cheap shots at the end of the game in that situation. It's good the league is trying to crack down on those with bigger fines and possible suspensions though.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Hey ToughJ, we don't get to watch Toby tonight, the game has been POSTPONED until Tuesday night because of a "snow emergency". I guess that they didn't want to have the possibility that conVick would look bad playing in the snow. Tom Iron can now post a new DISGUSTED thread, and I'm sure everyone will post in agreement!

snow

Mentor
Hah well I think he tried to put Taylor in there, but he looks to be done for his career. I don't know if Sammy Morris couldve done much either.

As for Hillis, Id like to remain optomistic, but its hard to believe he will get a big role if another coach comes in. Mike Alstott was a fan favorite as well, and made the pro bowl 6 times, even though it was at fullback. He couldve been an above average feature back on most teams. He only had 2 seasons with more than 200 carries. I am thinking if another coach comes there is a good chance he will get an Alstott type role, this is the reason they are trying to pound into fans heads that he is "wearing down" and mentioning his fumbles, when they hardly ever talked about the 18 fumbles AP had in 2 seasons and other backs that are performing similar at the end of the season. I think they are hoping less people will question if his role is reduced signifcantly and that they regurgitate msm articles saying "he wears down the way he runs" or "he fumbles too much", but more people are waking up thanks to this site and people who go on other forums and argue for our cause. I am hoping for the best though and hope he has a monster day against the Steelers to end the season on a good note, that way more dwfs would question if they did reduce his role.

Welker is going to have to have a monster day next week to crack 1,000 yards, its possible, he had 167 yards against the Dolphins last year and tends to have huge games against them. He will need 14 catches to hit the 100 catch mark, which he did last year against the Jets with 15. Fantasy sites mentioned that he has always had terrible games against the Bills and it is unexplainable, so I wouldn't put too much stock into his performance today. It would be nice for Danny to hit 1k from scrimmage as well as Welker getting 1k and 100 catches, but it might be hard because of what happened to Welker last season, depends on what Bellicheck decides.

Edited by: snow

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't watch much of the Patriots game today, but I did see Welker drop two passes in a row, including one where he might have scored.

foobar75

Master
Boomer Esiason, speaking about the Patriots today on the CBS post-game show:

"Look at what Tom Brady is doing with these (short pause), characters. They are all short, small guys, they look like an Ivy League team out there."

I think this despicable clown is under orders by his bosses to continue disparaging the "Ivy-League" Patriots, until everyone else starts talking about them the same way. After all, why would they mention the fact that this team has a number of white skill players who are great athletes and football players?
smiley5.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Pats are a joy to watch. Sad to see Hillis banged up. Alot of our receivers had nice games today. It looks like the Packers are going to win and keep their playoff hopes alive. I just hope Tebow can pull of the comeback. He has almost 300 yards passing in only his 2nd NFL Start ever and they say he can't be a starting qb! Tebow is the man.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tebow with 285 yards passing with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter!

foobar75

Master
It has been a good day so far. TDs by Woodhead, Kuhn, Gronkowski, Blair White, Owen Daniels, Jordy Nelson, Jacob Tamme, plus some good QB play today, so the only negative is Hillis, unfortunately. He looks like a shadow of his self from earlier in the year, and has not looked very good the last few weeks. Maybe the weight of carrying the team all year and being the focal point of opposing defenses has finally taken its toll. Let's hope he goes out on a high note against PIT next week.