2009 New York Jets

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
It's minicamp time, and here is the experience of a "supa", obviously well-conditioned afflete......

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP)â€"New York Jets running back Joe McKnight(notes), the team's fourth-round draft pick, has had a rough first rookie minicamp practice. He dropped a few passes, vomited on the field and had both calves cramp up.
<DIV id=sidebar>

McKnight, drafted out of Southern California, acknowledged nerves got the best of him early Friday, but felt better as the practice went along. He vomited near a goalpost midway through practice, and later had both calves worked on by team trainers.

After getting through his early issues, McKnight showed some elusive moves and coach Rex Ryan said the running back was impressive "when he wasn't throwing up."Â￾

McKnight, compared to Reggie Bush(notes) at USC, is wearing No. 25 with the Jetsâ€" Bush's number with New Orleans.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The release of Alan Faneca is purely racial. If they cared about so-called "declining performance" -- they would have released Damien Woody as well.

The Jets' obviously want an all-black OL... Nick Mangold better watch his back.

Highlander

Mentor
A couple of good news items to come out of the Jet's camp:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/444/slauson-provides-inspiration

1. The Other Guard. When the Jets released LG
Alan Faneca
, most of the attention focused on second-round
pick Vlad Ducasse (black) as his likely replacement. But
there's another candidate for the job: Second-year G Matt
Slauson
, and he's quite a story himself.

On a team of glib personalities and noted trash talkers (imagine that), perhaps the
most inspirational speaker is Slauson. He has a stuttering problem, but
it hasn't caused him to shy away from teammates or reporters. Just last
week, he stood in the locker room, fielding questions from several
reporters, not appearing the least bit self-concious. Good for him.

Slauson has dealt with the issue for as long as he can remember, and
it caused it many, many difficult days as a kid, as he was teased by
classmates. But he learned to deal with it and doesn't mind discussing
it. It caused him to withdraw when he was younger, he said. Now? "I've
come out of my shell," he said, adding, "As far as my speech goes, as
long as it doesn't affect me in a game, I don't care."

A three-time All-Big 12 player at Nebraska, where he played for Jets
OL coach Bill Callahan, Slauson has a legitimate
chance to win the opening-day job.

Slauson's profile:
http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/player/1444-matt-slauson

2. A Real Sleeper. An unheralded player creating
some buzz on defense is first-year DT Matt Kroul (6-3,
280), who spent last season on the practice squad. Coordinator Mike
Pettine
praised Kroul, all but handing him a roster spot. Said
Pettine: "He's a viable part of what we're doing this year." Kroul will
get a great opportunity in training camp because the coaches plan to
limit Kris Jenkins' reps. Jenkins is coming off major
knee surgery.

Of course, Matt's considered a "real sleeper", code-speak for an "over-achieving" White player.

Anyway, good luck to both "Matt's".

Kroul's Profile:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12991

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
As a Cornhusker fan, I can tell you Slauson was a beast here at Nebraska. If Callahan is any bit fair to his former player at Nebraska, Slauson should win the job. Hopefully, the overrated sumo Ducasse is left warming the bench.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
The recycling of washed up black WRs continues unabated.
From Rotoworld:
Free agent Laveranues Coles is expected to be signed after working out for the Jets on Friday, according to ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini.

The Jets apparently have little confidence in David Clowney or Brad Smith to function as the No. 3 receiver while Santonio Holmes is suspended for the first month of the season. Coles showed last season that he has little left in the tank, but he's familiar with Brian Schottenheimer's offense and should be fine in the slot for four games. Needless to say, he offers zero fantasy value. Jul. 29 - 12:53 pm et

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
One bright spot on the Jets is on defense, where ESPN, Yahoo and CBS (three sites that usually keep depth charts up to date due to their involvement with fantasy football, whereas NFL.com, and official team sites are often outdated this time of year) all show Mike DeVito as the starting right end, and Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard as the starting safeties. Ty Steinkuhler is DeVito's backup currently.

That can change of course -- Smith gets jerked in and out of the starting lineup a lot ala Reed Doughty, but it looks great comparedto the Jets offensive starters, which right now consist of Nick Mangold and Mexican QB Mark Sanchez (though one of their sumo starting guards' first name is Vladimir
smiley6.gif
).Edited by: Don Wassall

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The Jets have always been a very dark team since I've been following them. The defense has usually been coal black or almost coal black. The only reason I even rooted for the Jets in the late 90's was Wayne Chrebet.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
A few posts up I posted a piece about Joe McKnight, a supa affletic RB out of USC, who was having trouble in mini-camps because of his poor conditioning. In the months between those camps and training camp he "vowed" to work on his conditioning. I guess his idea on conditioning must be watching TV while eating bowls of potato chips, or maybe hanging out with LeBron at strip clubs, because he's the latest "Ultra Supa Dupa Affroletic Afflete" to fail his conditioning test! Now I can see fat tubs Mount Cody and Albert "Fatso" Haynesworth failing, but a running back? Of course, the Jets will bend over backward to make sure that this poor fellow can practice. How much do you want to bet that Danny Woodhead had NO trouble passing the test and is in fantastic physical condition? Yet he doesn't have the "upside" that this turd from USC has........

It's been an inauspicious start to his NFL career for New York Jets rookie running back Joe McKnight(notes).

During his first NFL practice earlier this offseason, the fourth-round draft pickwas nauseous and cramped up repeatedly.
<DIV id=sidebar>

Now,the former USC standouthas flunked his conditioning test and was placed on the active non-football injury list.

Not good at all.

NEW YORK (AP)â€"Jets rookie running back Joe McKnight(notes) failed his conditioning run Thursday and was placed on the active non-football injury list.
<DIV id=sidebar>

McKnight, the team's fourth-round pick out of Southern California, struggled with his conditioning during rookie minicamp in Mayâ€"sitting out a few plays while vomiting on the field. He vowed to get in better shape, and appeared to be fine in minicamp last month.

He is still part of the 80-man roster, but can't practice with the team until he passes the conditioning test.

New York traded two picks to Carolina to move up to take McKnight. His presence made Leon Washington(notes) expendable, and the Jets dealt the former Pro Bowl kick returner to Seattle.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
McKnight is listed in front of Woodhead in training camp depth charts. We will have to see if anything changes but Woodhead would probably have to run a 4.1 now to be considered.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Even non-morbidly-obese black players can't even pass those elementary school level "fitness tests."Â￾ Two DWFs competing in a "three-legged race"Â￾ could pass these girly "drills."Â￾

Honestly, I wish the obsolete worst for this league (player strikes, lockouts, financial ruin, low ratings, etc).

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
FootballDad said:
A few posts up I posted a piece about Joe McKnight, a supa affletic RB out of USC, who was having trouble in mini-camps because of his poor conditioning. In the months between those camps and training camp he "vowed" to work on his conditioning. I guess his idea on conditioning must be watching TV while eating bowls of potato chips, or maybe hanging out with LeBron at strip clubs, because he's the latest "Ultra Supa Dupa Affroletic Afflete" to fail his conditioning test! Now I can see fat tubs Mount Cody and Albert "Fatso" Haynesworth failing, but a running back? Of course, the Jets will bend over backward to make sure that this poor fellow can practice. How much do you want to bet that Danny Woodhead had NO trouble passing the test and is in fantastic physical condition? Yet he doesn't have the "upside" that this turd from USC has........

It's been an inauspicious start to his NFL career for New York Jets rookie running back Joe McKnight(notes).

During his first NFL practice earlier this offseason, the fourth-round draft pickwas nauseous and cramped up repeatedly.
<DIV id=sidebar>

Now,the former USC standouthas flunked his conditioning test and was placed on the active non-football injury list.

Not good at all.

NEW YORK (AP)â€"Jets rookie running back Joe McKnight(notes) failed his conditioning run Thursday and was placed on the active non-football injury list.
<DIV id=sidebar>

McKnight, the team's fourth-round pick out of Southern California, struggled with his conditioning during rookie minicamp in Mayâ€"sitting out a few plays while vomiting on the field. He vowed to get in better shape, and appeared to be fine in minicamp last month.

He is still part of the 80-man roster, but can't practice with the team until he passes the conditioning test.

New York traded two picks to Carolina to move up to take McKnight. His presence made Leon Washington(notes) expendable, and the Jets dealt the former Pro Bowl kick returner to Seattle.

I don't know for sure but McKnight probably has a good physique, maybe even "looks cut." That's another one of the elements of the Big Lie about black athletes, that if they look good they must therefore be magnificently conditioned athletes. In reality, that's all it's about it for many blacks, "looking good." Actually being good is a whole different matter.

Here's a picture of McKnight from a few years ago:
JOEMCKNIGHT6_27200.JPG.jpg

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Matt Slauson earns praise from Rex Ryan, who says he can be the long term solution at guard.

From CBS Sports:

A starter at LG has not yet been named, but coach Rex Ryan said positive things about Matt Slauson. "He's a big, mean dude," Ryan said. "Could he be the long-term solution at guard? I believe he could. Slauson's ready to be a starter in this league."