White RBs and 100-yard games

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yes sir. Sorry I missed that, I think without a doubt John Riggins in the greatest white running back of the last 50 years. Maybe of all time!
Knowing that he ran for 36 hundred yard games takes my respect for him to an even higher level. I don't see Cmac catching him for the
career but hope that I'm wrong. Time will tell.

I have a feeling if we can find good stats from the 1940's to the 1960's that we might have many white running backs we've never heard
of that were huge stars. We need to look into this further!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
WL, I made that same mistake looking at the list once. You are forgetting Riggins 19 100 yard games from the 80s. So CMac has along way to go to get to John’s 36 total.

My question to the board would be, is John Riggins the most prolific White running back of all time? Or are there guys as good or better from the 60s or earlier?
The word "prolific" can be subjective. I think of Bronco Nagurski, Red Grange, Hugh McIlheny, Larry Csonka, Mark Van Eeghen, all were prolific in their own way. Riggins was certainly prolific because he played so long and because he was the last White RB featured for any length of time until Christian McCaffrey came along, he gets mentioned often. Most prolific isn't the same as most talented. Keith Lincoln was a fantastic RB in the AFL in the '60s but didn't have a long career.

In general, the NFL is far more stats oriented than before, and many players are obsessed with them. The dink and dunk passing game and other easy catches is a recent change that makes older passing game records meaningless, and of course the regular season schedule is now over 40% longer as for a good part of its history NFL teams played just 12 games.

BTW, this thread is now pinned.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The word "prolific" can be subjective. I think of Bronco Nagurski, Red Grange, Hugh McIlheny, Larry Csonka, Mark Van Eeghen, all were prolific in their own way. Riggins was certainly prolific because he played so long and because he was the last White RB featured for any length of time until Christian McCaffrey came along, he gets mentioned often. Most prolific isn't the same as most talented. Keith Lincoln was a fantastic RB in the AFL in the '60s but didn't have a long career.

In general, the NFL is far more stats oriented than before, and many players are obsessed with them. The dink and dunk passing game and other easy catches is a recent change that makes older passing game records meaningless, and of course the regular season schedule is now over 40% longer as for a good part of its history NFL teams played just 12 games.

BTW, this thread is now pinned.
Has anyone mentioned Green Bay Packers Jim Taylor. Although deemed a fullback, he is the number two all time rushing white FB/RB behind John Riggins with 8,597 yards in just 9 full time seasons as he only played in 2 games his first year. He had just as many 1,000 yard seasons as Riggins, 5, and 83 TD's. His average per carry was better than Riggins, 4.4 to 3.9 and he led the league in rushing with 1,474 yards. Riggins never rushed for that many yards in one season and never led the league. Taylor's longest TD run was 84 yards which led the league in 1964.
Riggins longest TD run was 66 yards.
I still think Riggins is the best white RB of all time, but Jim Taylor is right there. Agree. Prolific is subjective.
Video shows that he had speed and little shake to him when he needed it, but sounds like he preferred to just try and run through defenders.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
How could no one mention Jim Taylor? Great post and video Carolina Speed. That is an incredible amount of production in a very
short time periord. Less than a decade yet almost 10K yards. I also wasn't aware of how high average yards per carry! Salute to you
for bringing him into the discussion.

The unfortunate thing about Riggins was that he was overly used for short yardage situations for most of his career. People like Mike Thomas, Benny Malone, Clarence Harmon, Joe Washington, and Carl Garrett cut into too many prime carries that Riggins should've had. That anti white thing for certain positions was well on its way in even in those days.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
*BUMP FOR THE 22/23 SEASON* MASTER LIST OF 100 YARD GAMES BY WHITE RUNNING BACKS DURING THE CASTE ERA

2020-2029: Total of 8 so far

1) Christian McCaffrey: 6
2) Rex Burkhead: 1
3) Taysom Hill#: 1

2010-2019: Total of 19
1) Christian McCaffrey: 10
2) Peyton Hillis: 7
3) Toby Gerhart: 1
4) Rex Burkhead: 1

2000-2009: Total of 8
1) Mike Alstott: 4
2) Brock Forsey: 1
3) Peyton Hillis: 1
4) Brian Leonard: 1
5) Brad Hoover: 1

1990-1999: Total of 9
1) Mike Alstott: 3
2) Gil Fenerty: 2
3) Merrill Hoge: 1
4) Brad Muster: 1
5) Tommy Vardell: 1
6) Scott Lockwood: 1

1980-1989: Total of 53
1) John Riggins: 19
2) Craig James: 9
3) Rob Carpenter: 8
4) Merrill Hoge: 3
5) Larry Moriarty: 3
6) Matt Suhey: 3
7) Mark van Eeghen: 2
8) Dan Doornink: 1
9) Joe Dudek: 1
10) Hokie Gajan: 1
11) John Cappelletti: 1
12) Rick Kane: 1
13) Jim Jodat: 1

The decade we can use for comparison purposes, 1970-1979. The last decade before the full implementation of the Caste System against White RBs. The list from this decade is still under construction, but 138 100 yard rushing performances have been identified so far.

1) Larry Csonka: 19
2) John Riggins: 15
3) Marv Hubbard: 10
4) Ed Podolak: 9
5) Jim Otis: 9
6) Mark van Eeghen: 7
7) Donny Anderson: 5
8) Rocky Bleier: 5
9) Norm Bulaich: 5
10) Andy Johnson: 4
11) Doug Kotar: 4
12) John Cappelletti: 3
13) Paul Hofer: 3
14) Don Nottingham: 3
15) Steve Owens: 3
16) Ken Willard: 3
17) Rob Carpenter: 2
18) Jim Kiick: 2
19) Jeff Kinney: 2
20) Jon Keyworth: 2
21) Scott Laidlaw: 2
22) Rob Lytle: 2
23) Ed Marinaro: 2
24) Don McCauley: 2
25) Larry Schreiber: 2
26) Pete Banaszak: 1
27) Jim Bertelsen: 1
28) Bill Brown: 1
29) Vince Clements: 1
30) Scott Dierking: 1
31) Dan Doornink: 1
32) Doug Dressler: 1
33) Walt Garrison: 1
34) Les Josephson: 1
35) Rick Kane: 1
36) Dave Osborn: 1
37) Mike Adamle: 1
38) Fred Willis: 1
39) Bobby Anderson: 1
40) Bob Burns: 1

#Hill was not a starting QB, but ran out of the QB position

Edited to add: Christian McCaffrey had 119 yards on 15 carries against the Seahawks on 1/14/23 in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Thanks for keeping this list updated @Freethinker
Happy to do so. It was frustrating going through the two previous years and making no updates.

In 3 seasons, we’ve already matched the aughts. If CMac can manage another this weekend or later in the playoffs (hopefully), we’ll match the 90s as well.

Warhawk_46

Master
Happy to do so. It was frustrating going through the two previous years and making no updates.

In 3 seasons, we’ve already matched the aughts. If CMac can manage another this weekend or later in the playoffs (hopefully), we’ll match the 90s as well.
I think McCaffrey has two more 100 yard games this playoffs (San Fran will reach the Super Bowl). He should be (rightly) pissed off about being overlooked by everyone and anyone’s All Pro teams.

He will also rush for at least 100 yards seven times next season with at least one being a massive game (150+ yards). He will set career highs in rushing and also contribute 700 yards receiving. He will be Offensive Player of the Year next year (since we all know MVP is a QB award).

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I think McCaffrey has two more 100 yard games this playoffs (San Fran will reach the Super Bowl). He should be (rightly) pissed off about being overlooked by everyone and anyone’s All Pro teams.

He will also rush for at least 100 yards seven times next season with at least one being a massive game (150+ yards). He will set career highs in rushing and also contribute 700 yards receiving. He will be Offensive Player of the Year next year (since we all know MVP is a QB award).
I love the positive vibes Warhawk_46. There is too much doom and gloom many times here and we need to think positive. It's
so much fun watching McCaffrey run and catch the ball. The kid is just so electric, explosive and he is so good at the cuts & jukes!

Nothing would be better than to see the Niners face the Bills in the 2023 Super Bowl. We will see how it all shake out!

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
My Wyoming Cowboys just signed..wait for it...A WHITE RUNNING BACK!

Have any of the special interest groups filed hate charges or discrimination lawsuits against the University of Wyoming yet? LOL. Seriously, I hope the kid burns up the turf next season and piles up a lot of yardage.

This list at NFL.com...

74 black guys and Christian McCaffrey. What kind of crap has the NFL become? Like written on the stone tablets of Moses, only one kind of guy can be running back? That list is like a freaking alternate universe Tarzan movie. Do football coaches have permanent blinders on now? "Oh, white guy? Move him to either TE or OL. We already have a kicker and punter."

Flint

Mentor

Bucky

Hall of Famer
This list at NFL.com...

74 black guys and Christian McCaffrey. What kind of crap has the NFL become? Like written on the stone tablets of Moses, only one kind of guy can be running back? That list is like a freaking alternate universe Tarzan movie. Do football coaches have permanent blinders on now? "Oh, white guy? Move him to either TE or OL. We already have a kicker and punter."
Oy veyy! My only conclusion is we need more diversity to reach full Wakanda.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
This list at NFL.com...

Muh diversity! 74 to 1. Man, ain't that a nail biter?!! If it ain't clear by now then the masses really do think that Whites aren't capable of playing the position unless they are some freak of nature. Oh wait, most have been duped into thinking just that. Thanks College Scouts looking at HS talent (literally ignoring the numerous outstanding White RBs)!

Warhawk_46

Master
Muh diversity! 74 to 1. Man, ain't that a nail biter?!! If it ain't clear by now then the masses really do think that Whites aren't capable of playing the position unless they are some freak of nature. Oh wait, most have been duped into thinking just that. Thanks College Scouts looking at HS talent (literally ignoring the numerous outstanding White RBs)!
And the lone white man given an honest shot at carrying the ball happens to finish as the top-rated running back in all of football?

Statistically impossible that other white men wouldn’t be worthy of 15+ rushes a game. I guarantee if Rex Burkhead got that he would have had at least 700-800 yards on the year and likely 1,000!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
So many of our guys never got a chance. From the Brock Forsey days to countless others.

One rb I really thought could have been elite if only he ever was given the chance was Zach Zenner. The kid had it all but the Vikings
were only looking for black running backs. The kid was the fastest players on the team with moves and agility. Nothing to see
here. Move right along and ignore the elephant in the room.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Chicago Bears QB Bobby Douglass, ran for over 100 yds twice in 1972, and once in 1973.
He was the original running QB.
He rushed for a total of 968 yards in 1972 (14 game season).

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Here's a video about Bobby Douglass. There are several others on youtube.

Not only was he a great runner, but he had a rocket arm. Kind of like Michael Vick. But even with that talent, he wasn't a great QB. Made a lot of mistakes, and threw a lot of interceptions.

wile

Master
Those were the years Bucky where Bears QB after QB best they could do was put scuff marks from their QB's lack of skills on one of the crappiest fields in the NFL. The only thing they had on the Pack was the addition of Walter Payton, and the scurrilous play of Doug Plank. Also the Bears fans suck, there I was at Soldier Field and little old me junior high student being pelted by empty beer cans scarred for life I am.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Dickie Post of the San Diego Chargers had five 100 yd games in 1969; three in 1968; and 3 in 1967.
So 11 x 100 yd games in a 3 year span.

Warhawk_46

Master
So many of our guys never got a chance. From the Brock Forsey days to countless others.

One rb I really thought could have been elite if only he ever was given the chance was Zach Zenner. The kid had it all but the Vikings
were only looking for black running backs. The kid was the fastest players on the team with moves and agility. Nothing to see
here. Move right along and ignore the elephant in the room.
Every now and then I watch Zenner’s career highlights. He was a real talent that wasted away in Detroit… can’t think of a larger what if recently? Maybe Nall?

(Please mute as the music is atrocious.)

TwentyTwo

Master
1 White RB in the Top 75! What a joke! Do the Diversity ; equity and inclusion catch phrases by the Globohomo agenda apply here!

I don't care what position he's listed as.....Taysom Hill belongs somewhere on that list! An argument could be made he was in the Top 40-50!
Saints team mate Mark Ingram is #61 and Hill was better than him as a Runner! Rex Burkhead was shafted by the pathetic Texans; otherwise he's on this list too!