White RBs and 100-yard games

white lightning

Hall of Famer
McCaffrey with another 100 yard game. I anticipate seeing several more of these this year (I predict 7 total for the year including at least one monster 150+ yard game) as Baker Mayfield begins to improve and the offensive line continues to gel. McAdoo needs to start calling better plays for McCaffrey though.

That sounds like a fair number but I will go higher. I predict 9 of the 17 games he hits the century mark.

Career wise it would be sweet to see him pass Larry Czonka(15) and John Riggins(19). He is halfway there. Staying
healthy is the hard part for a guy not nearly as big as they were. They were more like Jerome Bettis types in my opinion.
I do believe we could have seen so many more but the majority of big white running backs switch to fullbacks or linebackers
in the NFL as they are told to. Complete B.S.

Warhawk_46

Master
That sounds like a fair number but I will go higher. I predict 9 of the 17 games he hits the century mark.

Career wise it would be sweet to see him pass Larry Czonka(15) and John Riggins(19). He is halfway there. Staying
healthy is the hard part for a guy not nearly as big as they were. They were more like Jerome Bettis types in my opinion.
I do believe we could have seen so many more but the majority of big white running backs switch to fullbacks or linebackers
in the NFL as they are told to. Complete B.S.
I agree. I really thought Hillis would have had more than the 8 he did. Cleveland did him dirty, but it’s the Browns and we can’t expect them to make good decisions.

I think Burkhead will produce one this year. Pierce is bound to get banged up sooner or later.

We know guys like Horvath, Nall and Borghi have the ability but we also know they won’t get the opportunity.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
*BUMP FOR THE 22/23 SEASON* MASTER LIST OF 100 YARD GAMES BY WHITE RUNNING BACKS DURING THE CASTE ERA

2020-2029: Total of 7 so far

1) Christian McCaffrey: 5
2) Rex Burkhead: 1
3) Taysom Hill#: 1

2010-2019: Total of 19
1) Christian McCaffrey: 10
2) Peyton Hillis: 7
3) Toby Gerhart: 1
4) Rex Burkhead: 1

2000-2009: Total of 8
1) Mike Alstott: 4
2) Brock Forsey: 1
3) Peyton Hillis: 1
4) Brian Leonard: 1
5) Brad Hoover: 1

1990-1999: Total of 9
1) Mike Alstott: 3
2) Gil Fenerty: 2
3) Merrill Hoge: 1
4) Brad Muster: 1
5) Tommy Vardell: 1
6) Scott Lockwood: 1

1980-1989: Total of 53
1) John Riggins: 19
2) Craig James: 9
3) Rob Carpenter: 8
4) Merrill Hoge: 3
5) Larry Moriarty: 3
6) Matt Suhey: 3
7) Mark van Eeghen: 2
8) Dan Doornink: 1
9) Joe Dudek: 1
10) Hokie Gajan: 1
11) John Cappelletti: 1
12) Rick Kane: 1
13) Jim Jodat: 1

The decade we can use for comparison purposes, 1970-1979. The last decade before the full implementation of the Caste System against White RBs. The list from this decade is still under construction, but 138 100 yard rushing performances have been identified so far.

1) Larry Csonka: 19
2) John Riggins: 15
3) Marv Hubbard: 10
4) Ed Podolak: 9
5) Jim Otis: 9
6) Mark van Eeghen: 7
7) Donny Anderson: 5
8) Rocky Bleier: 5
9) Norm Bulaich: 5
10) Andy Johnson: 4
11) Doug Kotar: 4
12) John Cappelletti: 3
13) Paul Hofer: 3
14) Don Nottingham: 3
15) Steve Owens: 3
16) Ken Willard: 3
17) Rob Carpenter: 2
18) Jim Kiick: 2
19) Jeff Kinney: 2
20) Jon Keyworth: 2
21) Scott Laidlaw: 2
22) Rob Lytle: 2
23) Ed Marinaro: 2
24) Don McCauley: 2
25) Larry Schreiber: 2
26) Pete Banaszak: 1
27) Jim Bertelsen: 1
28) Bill Brown: 1
29) Vince Clements: 1
30) Scott Dierking: 1
31) Dan Doornink: 1
32) Doug Dressler: 1
33) Walt Garrison: 1
34) Les Josephson: 1
35) Rick Kane: 1
36) Dave Osborn: 1
37) Mike Adamle: 1
38) Fred Willis: 1
39) Bobby Anderson: 1
40) Bob Burns: 1

#Hill was not a starting QB, but ran out of the QB position

Edited to add: Christian McCaffrey had a 121 yard with 1 touchdown rushing performance against the Las Vegas Raiders on 1/1/23.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I think Hill being listed as an RB is fair. He certainly isn’t a qb running around and taking off making yards on scrambles. They are all designed runs. Your logic is sound!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree and Taysom Hill is the Swiss Army Knife of running backs. Again in a fair world he is a starting running back or a 2nd rb at
the very least. We all know Hill could have run for 1000 yards. He is older now but his speed is still amazing & especially for a big guy.

Cmac would have twice the 100 yards games already if he would have been on better teams. Similar to Barry Sanders back in the day, Cmac
has had to work for most of what he has gotten with poor team talent and poor offensive line play plus a lack of a passing game.

Warhawk_46

Master
I agree and Taysom Hill is the Swiss Army Knife of running backs. Again in a fair world he is a starting running back or a 2nd rb at
the very least. We all know Hill could have run for 1000 yards. He is older now but his speed is still amazing & especially for a big guy.

Cmac would have twice the 100 yards games already if he would have been on better teams. Similar to Barry Sanders back in the day, Cmac
has had to work for most of what he has gotten with poor team talent and poor offensive line play plus a lack of a passing game.
I also list Taysom Hill as, effectively a running back nowadays. Certainly not a TE as the Saints call him. He is what I would term an X-back, not quite a halfback, not a fullback, but a running back nonetheless.

El Gringo

Mentor
Barring injury Hill may get a 1000 this year. He doesn’t need to be returning or covering kickoffs that’s for sure.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Not a running back but QB Daniel Jones' 107 yard game on 10/23/22 against the Jaguars should be documented in this thread. As of today, Jones' has 343 yards rushing on the season which is the 2nd most amongst the position.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Not a running back but QB Daniel Jones' 107 yard game on 10/23/22 against the Jaguars should be documented in this thread. As of today, Jones' has 343 yards rushing on the season which is the 2nd most amongst the position.
Great point and exactly why I consider him a true dual threat quarterback. Daniel Jones can really run. He would be a fine wide receiver
with that type of speed. One guy that doesn't run like he used to in college is Trevor Lawrence. He has had quite a few short rushing tds but he just seems to be content to be a pocket passer. In college he was dynamic at Clemson and when he ran quite often. Not sure why he
doesn't run much anymore as he is in his early to 20's and as athletic as they come. Maybe his coach's have told him to only do it as a last
resort to keep him healthy. I prefer pass first qb's but it is nice when you have guys with Josh Allen ability.

I expect McCaffrey to have a big game next weekend. It will be only his 2nd game with then Niners but he will know the playbook better. They
play the Rams which is a huge rivarly. Must see tv for sure. Hope Cmac puts on a show and Stafford and Kupp does the same for the Rams.
i

Last edited:

ximasa

Guru
Trifeca (Rush TD, catch TD, pass TD)

McCaffrey 1
-----
Falcons RB Harmon Wages: Week 12, 1969 vs. Saints
Cowboys RB Dan Reeves: Week 13, 1967 vs. Eagles
Chargers RB Keith Lincoln: Week 9, 1965 at Broncos

Lions RB Gene Gedman: Week 8, 1958 vs. 49ers
Giants RB Frank Gifford: Week 10, 1956 vs. Washington
Browns RB Ray Renfro: Week 11, 1953 vs. Giants

Last edited:

Warhawk_46

Master
McCaffrey was so close to another 100 yard game. Six yards shy but he was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week. I expect his game after the bye week to be just as good and his first 100 yard game as a 49er!

I think it is safe to say my predictions about Burkhead are false. If Pierce gets injured Rex will play awesome but he won’t get any more than a token carry or two until then.

I also consider Taysom Hill a running back as he rushes far, far more than he receives. His 100 yard games should count despite how the NFL labels him as he truly is a dynamic running back.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Another 100 yd game for McCaffrey.
Cmac has moved up to 12th in the NFL in rushing as of tonight with 819 yards. He has four games left and only
needs less than 50 yards a game to eclipse 1000 yards for the season. I'm hoping for 1100 yards which would be
great after the trade or trying to adjust to a new team with a offensive playbook he had to learn very quickly.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I edited the master list a few posts up.

I think it’s interesting to note that we are only in the 3rd year of this decade and have 5 total. Last decade we only had 19 total 100 yard efforts. I think that can be topped. CMac theoretically could do it himself. If he had 3 or 4 per season for the next 4-5 years. However I’m hopeful that Will Shipley’s excellence at Clemson will be too much to ignore and he can get drafted in the upper half of the draft, leading to chances of starting. Also, Carson Steele is a wildcard. If he ends up at a Power 5 program (Big 10 maybe?) and dominates he could easily emerge as a top back as well.

I think we’ll top the 19 mark mostly on the back of CMac but I do also think we’ll have reinforcements to help blow past it.

This is not a hard one to figure out but if the game was not such an early blowout McCaffrey could have run for another fifty plus yards. Who knows? I did watch his highlights and he still has the explosiveness but he is not juking or doing the head fakes anymore. He looks more like the old stereotypical white rb who has the ability to dance but just wants to get upfield and get the most yards possible. I miss the old CMAC. At least San Fran looks darn good with Purdy at the helm and could be a legit Super Bowl finalist against I presume KC. Buffalo ain't doing it though I am rooting for Allen and company.

Warhawk_46

Master
If I recall there were a handful of games where Christian was just a few yards shy of reaching 100 - mid 90s or so. So even if not truly hitting 100 he has had much success running the ball. I think he will hit 100 at least once in the last three games to give him 5 on the year.

Warhawk_46

Master
That list is kind of small,eh.Since Alstott had 3 in the late'90s why not include some other RB from that decade.Merrill Hoge had 4(two in the playoffs)although all but one occured in the late'80s.Close enough.Gil Fenerty had 2 and Brad Muster,Tommy Vardell and Scott Lockwood one a piece.Rick Fenney,Jamie Mueller and Tom Rathman were close but no cigar.
I was looking at Brad Hoover’s stats and in 2004 he rushed for 99 yards in a game. There were a handful of games throughout his career where he received 15-20 rushing attempts… almost like Carolina knew they have a very effective “fullback” and should have been running him more than they did.

Warhawk_46

Master
Here's a odd one. A few weeks ago I was looking up Scott Lockwood...I founda bunch of DWF's were debating on a old message board which NFL player had at least one 100 yard game, but the fewest career yards? One poster mentioned a guy that had appeared on the cover of SI as a "Heisman candidate" (mockingly by the marxists?) back in 1986.....I think it's this guy Dudek....Catch here is his 100 yard game was a "strike game/replacement game"....I think he belongs on the list, as it was a official NFL game...but
smiley5.gif

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DudeJo20/gamelog//

Reb, I'm not 100% sure this guy is white, but I think he is: Larry Moriarty -- 3 100 yard games in the 1980's

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoriLa00/gamelog//

Another "likely" white rb that had a couple 100's in the 1970's: Larry Schreiber

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SchrLa00/gamelog//

Saw this guy on "ESPN Classic' a few years ago, when they showed weekly NFL hi-light's from the 1970's....90% sure he's white, despite a name that doesn't sound white: Fred Willis, 1 100 yard game in the 1970's:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillFr00/gamelog//

Here's a quasi-media celebrity, who I never saw play, but I'm 100% sure he's white: Mike Adamle

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AdamMi01/gamelog//

Saw this guy on ESPN Classic, also...as a college superstar/megastar at Nebraska? Jeff Kinney, had only two 100 yard games in the 1970's as a pro:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KinnJe00/gamelog//

Reb, I had to google this guy, who I knew nothing about. Saw a Topps card of him from the early 1970's, so he's good for the list, one game in 1972:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DresDo00/gamelog/

Here's another one, confirmed via Topps football cards?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ClemVi00/gamelog//

This is all I got tonight, the 1970's is real tough....because I don't a lot of players...but I think I added some good names tonight...guys that have long been forgetten,but should not be.
Look at the game logs for Larry Moriarty this year… he barely had any Carrie’s the first half of the year and then when he started getting an opportunity he respond with 60 yard plus games and then a handful of 100 yard games to close the season. He would have gone over 1,000 if given the opportunity earlier in the year!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
List updated. At season’s end I’ll paste the list in a new post so it’s not buried.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
List updated. At season’s end I’ll paste the list in a new post so it’s not buried.
Great work my friend. That puts McCaffrey at 15 100 yard games in his career now to tie the great John Riggins. The only white running
back left to catch is Larry Csonka with 19 career games.

Has anyone here looked up stats before the 1970's? Just curious.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Great work my friend. That puts McCaffrey at 15 100 yard games in his career now to tie the great John Riggins. The only white running
back left to catch is Larry Csonka with 19 career games.

Has anyone here looked up stats before the 1970's? Just curious.
WL, I made that same mistake looking at the list once. You are forgetting Riggins 19 100 yard games from the 80s. So CMac has along way to go to get to John’s 36 total.

My question to the board would be, is John Riggins the most prolific White running back of all time? Or are there guys as good or better from the 60s or earlier?

WL, I made that same mistake looking at the list once. You are forgetting Riggins 19 100 yard games from the 80s. So CMac has along way to go to get to John’s 36 total.

My question to the board would be, is John Riggins the most prolific White running back of all time? Or are there guys as good or better from the 60s or earlier?
Most likely. He was the all-time leader in career rushing TDs when he retired and also held the single season rushing TD record.