Transfer Portal News

Phall

Master
Michigan edge rusher Julius Welschof enters the transfer portal.

This 6'7, 266 lbs German edge rusher has been stuck in a five-year purgatory at the bottom of the Wolverines' depth chart. Welschof has been bounced from DE to DT to OLB without ever finding regular playing time. Despite the caveat that Michigan has put some players at these positions into the NFL, I have my suspicions as to why this physical specimen was never thrust into a bigger role.

Welschof was a competitive mogul skier as a teenager in Europe. As recently as this past offseason, he was featured on Bruce Feldman's (homoerotic) "Freaks List" as an exceptional athlete:
7. Julius Welschof, Michigan, edge
Welschof has been on our radar since before he arrived at Michigan. European super scout Brandon Collier has been buzzing about him and his Freakish ability for years. Back then, Welschof was a 6-6, 220-pound former champion moguls skier from Germany doing backflips on his skis and walking 50 yards on his hands. Since arriving in Ann Arbor, Welschof has dazzled his teammates with his athleticism. Asked what the most impressive thing he’s ever seen Welschof do, standout cornerback DJ Turner said it’s an ankle mobility test that measures the flexibility in their lower legs.
“Usually people get like 12 inches. I was like 13 or 14. He got 23 inches,” Turner said. “Stuff that he can do sometimes just doesn’t make sense — like what?!? How can he do that?”
Technically, Welschof measured 22 inches on his right leg and 23 on his left. “From his skiing background with how his lower limbs function, he has tremendous range of motion,” Michigan strength coach Ben Herbert said. “His ankle mobility is ridiculous.”
That’s just the start of it. “Juice,” who has leaned down 22 pounds to 268, broad-jumps 10-5 consistently and vertical-jumped 34 1/2 inches this offseason. His 40 was 4.66. The most amazing numbers posted by former Wolverine Freak Aidan Hutchinson were his shuttle times. Hutchinson did 6.73 in the 3-cone drill in Indy (sixth fastest among all players there). Hutchinson clocked a 6.54 last offseason in Ann Arbor. Herbert said Welschof ran a 6.76 this offseason. He’s also done a 4.19 in the 20-yard shuttle — only Hutchinson’s 4.15 was faster among D-linemen and linebackers in Indy. Hutchinson was the first athlete Herbert ever witnessed do a “Turkish Get-Up” with 135 pounds and no collars (to lock on the plates) in a quarter-century working in college weight rooms. This offseason, Welschof did it with a 160-pound dumbbell “like it was effortless.”

After spending his super-senior year as a special teams player, Welschof will be looking for playing time to rebuild his draft stock, which currently sits at zero.

jphoss

Mentor
Michigan edge rusher Julius Welschof enters the transfer portal.

This 6'7, 266 lbs German edge rusher has been stuck in a five-year purgatory at the bottom of the Wolverines' depth chart. Welschof has been bounced from DE to DT to OLB without ever finding regular playing time. Despite the caveat that Michigan has put some players at these positions into the NFL, I have my suspicions as to why this physical specimen was never thrust into a bigger role.

Welschof was a competitive mogul skier as a teenager in Europe. As recently as this past offseason, he was featured on Bruce Feldman's (homoerotic) "Freaks List" as an exceptional athlete:

After spending his super-senior year as a special teams player, Welschof will be looking for playing time to rebuild his draft stock, which currently sits at zero.
Notre Dame has a very impressive German by the name of Alex Ehrensberger 6’7 athletic freak but to date still sees zero playing time. I’m sure the kid is a hard worker and brings a good attitude so there’s no reason he shouldn’t have gotten at least 10-15 snaps a game this past year

I’m not to pumped about this decision. UCLA also has another big white runningback that did well last year and was in line for more carries. https://www.si.com/college/ucla/.am...g-back-carson-steele-commits-to-ucla-football
I just saw yesterday that Charbonnet wants to go pro. Brian Kowall is the other white rb and they have that Yankoff kid who is listed as a wr but got some rb carries this year. Very athletic kid. Charbonnet is listed as the 2nd best rb in the 2023 draft according to several sites so I don't expect him on renewing on going PRO. Steele is going to get 25 plus carries most games Iwould imagine.

El Gringo

Mentor
I just saw yesterday that Charbonnet wants to go pro. Brian Kowall is the other white rb and they have that Yankoff kid who is listed as a wr but got some rb carries this year. Very athletic kid. Charbonnet is listed as the 2nd best rb in the 2023 draft according to several sites so I don't expect him on renewing on going PRO. Steele is going to get 25 plus carries most games Iwould imagine.
I hope your right!! Yankoff was the kid I was thinking of, I hadn’t heard of Kowall thanks for the heads up on him. Yankoff should probably think about transferring since he’s a senior. I guess they have a highly touted black recruit coming in as well.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I hope your right!! Yankoff was the kid I was thinking of, I hadn’t heard of Kowall thanks for the heads up on him. Yankoff should probably think about transferring since he’s a senior. I guess they have a highly touted black recruit coming in as well.
Wouldn't it be wild it they played all 2 or 3 guys? I doubt it but wow UCLA with 3 white running backs. The world has turned upside down.

As long as Steele gets a minimum of 20 carries a game I can live with it. The team isn't great but I have a feeling he wants to get to know
some Hollywood Execs. incase his football career doesn't pan out. Just a hunch but he better be in the NFL someday or it would be a damn shame! The kid has talent oozing out of his whole body! Complete running back.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Steele will look like Captain Sunshine in that UCLA baby blue!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I’m ok with the Steele news. Seems they brought him in to be the man, as their current top guy is going pro. Also, I see that they brought over a QB Collin Schlee from Kent State a few weeks back. It would be nice if him or another White QB (Garber?) would win the starting spot.

Oklahoma state WR John Paul Richardson, Tennessee WR Walker Merrill and Liberty S Robert Rahimi all in the portal. Rahimi is getting some big time offers but I’ve never seen him mentioned here before?

Wow. Cal RB Ashton Hayes transfers home to Nevada. Saw some playing time as a true freshman at Cal. Nevada now has three white RBs looking at getting legit carries in Hayes, Wesley Kommer and freshman Conner Noah.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Wow. Cal RB Ashton Hayes transfers home to Nevada. Saw some playing time as a true freshman at Cal. Nevada now has three white RBs looking at getting legit carries in Hayes, Wesley Kommer and freshman Conner Noah.
This is some fantastic news. It reminds me of the Stanford Situation. Only sad part it our guys stealing playing time from each other but it
will make it fun watching these games. Go Nevada and Go Stanford.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
QB Jay Butterfield commits to SJSU. The MWC schools in California have all trended very dark even at the QB position as of late so this is welcome.

WR Trent Whittemore transfers to UCF.

I've noticed Iowa has brought in some blacks in the transfer portal - pretty disappointing.

Warhawk_46

Master
Carson Steele is apparently visiting UCLA this weekend. UCLA just picked up Kent State transfer QB Collin Schlee who is expected to fight for the starting job but a five star quota also just committed there
That would be a horrible decision for him to make.

QB Jay Butterfield commits to SJSU. The MWC schools in California have all trended very dark even at the QB position as of late so this is welcome.

WR Trent Whittemore transfers to UCF.

I've noticed Iowa has brought in some blacks in the transfer portal - pretty disappointing.
Likewise Stanford WR Colby Bowman transfers to Utah State

Isaac Teslaa hasn’t committed to arkansas yet he just took an official visit. Arkansas has a carousel of black quarterbacks so I hope he ends up at Purdue where he could put up huge numbers like Charlie Jones

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Likewise Stanford WR Colby Bowman transfers to Utah State

Isaac Teslaa hasn’t committed to arkansas yet he just took an official visit. Arkansas has a carousel of black quarterbacks so I hope he ends up at Purdue where he could put up huge numbers like Charlie Jones

Don’t know how Brohms departure will affect the Purdue offense. My mistake on Teslaa - I thought I saw he committed. Ideally he goes elsewhere - he seems to have a decent number of teams that offered him.

northwinds

Mentor
He only ran for 6000 yards and was named Indiana high school player of the year……so it’s understandable why Rivals gave him a two star and zero rankings nationally or in-state…….LOL

TwentyTwo

Master
Ex Memphis TE Caden Preiskorn Transferred to OLE MISS. 6'-5 " 255lb stepped up his game this past season 48 receptions 602 yards & 7 TD's.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Badgers land 2 OL from Cincinnati in Center Jake Renfro and RT Joe Huber. They’ve also added an OLB in Jeff Pietrowski, formerly of Michigan State as well as QB Tanner Mordecai. 4/7 honkeys in transfer haul so far.