"Rocket" Ramil Guliyev 9.97 and 19.76 (World Champion 2017 over 200 meters)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wonder if he can get the proper training. The lack of funding, are the facilities going to be good enough, and coaching? His dad is great and all but he needs to have the best training & coaching in the world to get to the top. He has the talent but will he get there without the right regimine. I'm hopeful but it sure would be better if he had a coach like Dan Phaff or someone like that.

albinosprint

Mentor
yeah, it all makes a world of difference. its amazing how far he has come considering his circumstances. he should go train with Pepe
smiley2.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
I've tried to hunt down a little info for Rocket this season, but I can find sh*t. any how, heres a bump to his post and if anyone knows anything, post it. also, here is his PB.

PERSONAL BESTS:
60 m
Indoor 6.66 NJR4s1 EC Torino 7 March 2009
100 m
Outdoor 10.08 NR NJR 1.3 1rA Cezmi Or Istanbul 13 June 2009
200 mraces under 20.30 (legal): 2
Outdoor 20.04 NR AJR NUR 0.1 1 WUG Beograd 10 July 2009
Indoor 21.51 NR NJR1 BIG Tallinn 4 February 2009
300 m
Indoor 33.62 NR NJR3rB Russian Winter Moskva 1 February 2009

He is training hard for the outdoor season. they are following the school of thought that kenteris the greek 200m olympic followed, that being: train hard and peak for big meets with only very very few meets during training.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That sounds smart to me. I just hope he races at least 5 or 6 times this summer. When guys only race a couple of times, people start asking questions. He is clean. I have no doubt about that. Ramil is skinnier than Lemaitre. These guys are all natural and will be even better as they continue to get stronger as they get older. Good luck to Ramil Guliyev.

albinosprint

Mentor
with Ramil staying out ofr indoors, and Craig taking it easy, the outdoor season is going to be great this year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Just wanted to bump this back up to the top of the page. Still nothing recently but the last I heard, training was going very good. It is so hard to get news out of a small country like that. One thing is for sure, he has similar talent to Lemaitre and they are both only 19 years of age! I can't wait for Rocket Ramil to hit the track!

Ramil Guliyev is training hard and working toward the european championships this year.
He has stated that he would not bother to train if he didnt believe he could beat all the caribbean sprinters.He is confident that he will be number one in the 200m and feels he has a shot at being number one in the 100m.

The Master

Guru
I saw in Google News, when I searched for Ramil Guliyev, an article written in spanish. I did the translation and apparently the eastern rocket will race next week, with Mark Lewis Francis in a track in Spain.

Maybe someone will have more information, I'm not able to find this article again.

mastermulti

Master
you'd think a kid of his calibre would be offered big bucks (handy for anyone, let alone someone on Azerbaijani income)to front up to big meets. I wonder what's going down?

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
On the T&FN board, they say he is training in London while studying at university.
I hope he's not studying too hard, because he needs to focus on his sprint talent and see what he can do with it.

albinosprint

Mentor
Yuri, any updates?

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Still zero news about Ramil Guliyev.
The Euro Championships are in a month and a half, and Guliyev hasn't run a race all year.
If we don't hear something in the next week or two, I've got to believe he is injured or taking the year off.
What a shame!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Look at the link above. He will be racing in the Euro Cup in another two weeks. He has been in school but still training as well. Hopefully he can regain his form of last season quickly.

trackster

Mentor
Well, this is depressing. Ramil recently ran an event in Portugal. There was a heavy negative wind, which would certainly factor, but unless there's some other excuse (such as falling down mid-race), he is seriously out of shape. 10.70 and fourth place against so-so competition. Has he gotten fat? Here's hoping he fell down.

http://www.tilastopaja.org/staticresults/eaa12797629.htm

The important thing is that he's young, and if he sucks this year, he will hopefully have learned a valuable lesson about how to train in the future.

StarWars

Mentor
Simone Collio ran 11.04 and got fourth at this very competition into a -3.7 wind. Guliyev, Cerutti, and Yepishin all ran into a -3.5 and ran faster than Collio considerably.

Keep in mind, on the same track as Asafa and Christophe, Collio ran 10.29.

Basically, you are worried about nothing.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Ditto. Just like StarWars said. It was his first race into a mini huricane wind. Nothing to worry about. Besides, no one usually is incredible in the first outing of the season. He has been in school and probably hasn't been training like usual. Heshould be fine by late July to August. I just wish he would put school 2nd as athletics lasts only so long. Even Paul Hession(sprinter from Ireland)gave up Medical School and being a Doctor for several years so he can concentrate on the sprints. It's a full time job.

trackster

Mentor
I don't see Guliyev on the start list for the Marsa meet this weekend, even though he was supposed to headline the event. Any news? Perhaps he was injured during that horrendously slow race in Portugal?

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
The fact that he's not on the start lists, plus the fact that he ran a 10.73 into a negative wind a few wks ago, means that he is out of shape or injured.
I don't think we're going to see anything from him this season.

j41181

Master
If that's true, then it's a major setback for someone so promising. Yes, he's still young, but setbacks like this are so damaging. Hope he makes a big comeback next year.