"Rocket" Ramil Guliyev 9.97 and 19.76 (World Champion 2017 over 200 meters)

trackster

Mentor
Guliyev is no longer on the start list for the Monaco 200m. Could his season be any more in the crapper?

<table ="rank_table" id="mytable" cellspacing="0">

<t>
<tr>
<th width="45">Lane</th>
<th width="260">Athlete</th>
<th width="60">Nation</th>
<th width="45">PB</th>
<th width="20">SB</th>
<th width="220"><div align="center">Diamond Points</div></th>
<th colspan="2">Diamond Ranking</th>
</tr> </t>

<t>
<tr>
<td><div align="left">1</div></td>
<td><div align="left">ARMSTRONG,Aaron</div></td>
<td><div align="left">TRI</div></td>
<td><div align="left">20.08</div></td>
<td><div align="left">20.81</div></td>
<td><div align="center"></div></td>
<td width="75"><div align="right"></div></td>
<td width="105"></td>
</tr><tr ="alt">
<td><div align="left">2</div></td>
<td><div align="left">WAUGH,Ainsley</div></td>
<td><div align="left">JAM</div></td>
<td><div align="left">20.22</div></td>
<td><div align="left">20.46</div></td>
<td width="105"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td><div align="left">3</div></td>
<td><div align="left">CRAWFORD,Shawn</div></td>
<td><div align="left">USA</div></td>
<td><div align="left">19.79</div></td>
<td><div align="left">20.50</div></td>
<td width="105"></td>
</tr><tr ="alt">
<td><div align="left">4</div></td>
<td><div align="left">CARTER,Xavier</div></td>
<td><div align="left">19.63</div></td>
<td><div align="left">20.15</div></td>
<td><div align="center">1</div></td>
<td width="75"><div align="right">8</div></td>
<td width="105"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td><div align="left">5</div></td>
<td><div align="left">GAY,Tyson</div></td>
<td><div align="left">19.58</div></td>
<td><div align="left">19.76</div></td>
<td><div align="center">2</div></td>
<td width="75"><div align="right">4</div></td>
<td width="105"></td>
</tr><tr ="alt">
<td><div align="left">6</div></td>
<td><div align="left">BAILEY,Ryan</div></td>
<td><div align="left">20.17</div></td>
<td><div align="left">20.17</div></td>
<td width="105"></td>
</tr><tr>
<td><div align="left">7</div></td>
<td><div align="left">SPEARMON,Wallace</div></td>
<td><div align="left">19.65</div></td>
<td><div align="left">19.98</div></td>
<td><div align="center">4</div></td>
<td width="75"><div align="right">3</div></td>
<td width="105"></td>
</tr><tr ="alt">
<td><div align="left">8</div></td>
<td><div align="left">BLAKE,Yohan</div></td>
<td><div align="left">JAM</div></td>
<td><div align="left">20.60</div></td>
<td><div align="left"></div></td>
<td width="105"></td>
</tr>
</t>
</table>
<br clear="all">

albinosprint

Mentor
WTF!

mastermulti

Master
trackster said:
Guliyev is no longer on the start list for the Monaco 200m.  Could his season be any more in the crapper?

let's hope this season gets the injuries done and dusted. Thankfully it's a quiet year competition wise.
By the look of the results he wouldn't have been in good enough form to figure highly. Maybe better it didn't happen just yet. Edited by: mastermulti

albinosprint

Mentor
damn, no wonder this kid is having such a bad season. losing your father / coach would throw a wrench in the spokes of anyone. I hope he can come to peace with his fathers passing and get his head straight for next year. I feel really sorry for this kid!

Observer

Mentor
Yeah, that would explain things. I difficult time in life.

It's been pretty amazing whatching Lemaitre in recent weeks. But as fast as he is, Guliyev had closed about a 1/2 meter on him during Christophe's European Junior record 10.04 last year.

trackster

Mentor
Guliyev is attempting to soldier on and finish the season after his father's death, but he's not the same runner. He ran some mediocre times in Lucerne today. 10.24 in the 100 (wind 0.6 for you obsessive types). A badly beaten 20.82 in his chief event, the 200.

Aaron Rouge-Serret, the fast, young Australian, was also there, but apparently has lost his racing edge since the Aussie season ended (or perhaps he just flew up and was jet lagged). At any rate, he ran (walked?) a dreadful 10.48 in the grown-up 100, and 10.52 in the U23 (which is where Guliyev ran).

Wariner didn't show up for the 400, and everyone ran badly. Gillick finished third on the heels of his disappointing Euros. The Australian Offereins came in second, but none of the times were interesting.

All in all, a meet to forget, but at least it's good to see Guliyev up and running, and the Aussies coming up for some competition.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That is a solid time for Guliyev in the 100 despite everything he has had to endure. The 200 is simply a case of him not being in good enough shape to have the proper speed endurance. Again my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. To lose your father is a very difficult thing to go through. Hopefully by next year, he can return to form. He is only 20 years of age so at least he has time on his side.

albinosprint

Mentor
10.24 & 20.77 for this season is not that bad when considering what he has went through this year.I just hope he can find a trainer that works as well for him as his father did. he'll be back!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I don't buy the allegations. It sounds to me like his former country might be setting him up out of jealousy. Who knows? The ban does sound bad though if this is true. 3 years is a long time. I would like to know more about this story. If he is guilty, then he should serve the suspension. I just find it hard to believe. He is skinnier than Lemaitre was two years ago. I know there are different types of peds but this is just strange. Also that he didn't fail any test. W.A.D.A. would have had to report it after a 2nd failed test. They haven't reported anything. There is a big difference between missing a test and failing two tests. We shall see what is going on soon I guess. Edited by: white lightning

albinosprint

Mentor
I'm with you on this white lightning. this smells like a lovers spat. his old country is pissed he's running for turkey and they are going to stick it to him. this is a shame! this kids has had enough set backs with his father death and what not. he also feels his father was murdered. I'm sure that he must fear his own life. this kid needs to get the f**k out of the middle east and over to Western Europe or North America.

freedom1

Mentor
Speculations by political experts suggest Azerbaijan could be the next Muslim-majority nation to voice grievances against the US-backed government in Baku.

An article published by the Newsweek on Sunday points out concerns among Western decision-makers on the possible outcome of Arab uprisings in the Middle East, intensified by the prospect that similar unrest could overtake other parts of the globe.

"This is like Eastern Europe in the 1990s"¦You take the lid off, and you don't know what's going to happen,"Â￾ a senior US intelligence official was cited in "When Strongmen Become Straw Men"Â￾ as saying.

The article notices how a bronze statue of ousted Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is being protected in a park in the middle of Azerbaijan's capital, Baku, whereas the dictator's rule in his homeland was toppled by a popular revolution.

A number of US media reports had earlier pointed to similar issues regarding the popular protests in Azerbaijan, but Azeri authorities have ruled out any analogy between the condition in the crisis-hit Arab nations and the status quo in the former Soviet republic.

Azerbaijan's Yeni Musavat newspaper wrote about recent popular gatherings in villages around the cities of Sabirabad and Saatli in protest at the government's failure to resolve problems caused by a flood in the region nine months ago.

Following the protests, the headquarters of the ruling New Azerbaijan Party in Sabirabad was torched and burned into ashes.

Political analysts described the move as a purposeful act by government agents, aiming to create an air of coercion and intimidation and pave the way to arrest opposition activists and protesters.

Azerbaijan has also been the scene of a series of rallies against the controversial issue of a hijab ban in the country, where nearly 98 percent of the people are Muslim.

Azerbaijan's Muslims also blame the growing secularism in the country on Tel Aviv and see Israel as being behind anti-Islamic programs during the Shia mourning month of Muharram and the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

albinosprint

Mentor
can't wait for this kid to get back into things. I hope he has found a good coach and is getting the funding he needs.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Terrible news guys. The war over Guliyev has only begun. It looks like he might not be able to compete again until 2014! This is just so sad. The guy is similar in talent to Christophe Lemaitre. The two of them could have made history together. I hope the appeal turns out ok. If not he should just go back and run for his home country.

http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/blogs/blog=blockheadblog/postid=534111.html

trackster

Mentor
On the other hand, at least the ban only applies to international events where he would be representing Turkey. Doesn't he have a regular meet coming up soon?

white is right

Hall of Famer
This isn't new the former 800 meter world record holder Wilson Kipketer had to miss the 96' Olympics because he refused to represent Kenya. This says a lot about the Azeri federation. It's probably as corrupt as the Kenyan federation...
smiley11.gif

albinosprint

Mentor
wow, what bullsh*t
smiley21.gif

freedom1

Mentor
So what if President Borat doesn't let him run in the big meets. He can still run in the smaller ones and will still break 10.00 and 20.00.

albinosprint

Mentor
I hope that the legal battle doesn't hurt his training. anyone have any predictions for the race? I would love to see him PR, but I know that is a long shot.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I would be happy with a time in the low 10.30's range. I have no idea about his fitness. His hea has to be all messed up too. He lost his dad last summer and now the legal battle. I feel really bad for Ramil. I would love to see him have a nice season and for him to find some personal happiness both on and off the track.

white is right

Hall of Famer
albinosprint said:
wow, what bullsh*t
smiley21.gif
While I agree with your sentiment the reason why you have to sit out three years is various Arab federations have bought athletes. Turkey does it too as they have Ethiopians running for them in the middle and long distance races. The Turkish Weightlifting Federation tried to buy the services of the reigning Olympic Champion from Iran around the time of the 08' games.