RB - Sam McGuffie

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
JoeV said:
I hope he doesn't go to Michigan, then I can't root for him.
smiley19.gif
Go to THE Ohio State University young man! Tressel will let you start, unlike Lloyd Carr.

If McGuffie goes to Michigan he will be switched to another position in the first practice. I've seen it happen too many times before to other players, black and white. A school like Michigan loads up on good athletes and tries to shift them to other positions. No way he ever carries the rock at Michigan.

Has Tressel ever started a white guy at running back? He's better then most but filling up the o-line, a few defensive players, an occasional d-back and receiver is not really caste-busting like giving a white guy lots of carries. He's never done it (at OSU) that I've seen.

And BTW there is little mention of his visit in the Ann Arbor paper, lots about some other guys but I haven't seen anything on him (although maybe I missed it). If he's not on the radar screen in a big way then his chance to be a starting running back is not good. Please Sam go somewhere else!!!!

Track uniforms don't hide a lot, and the last time I saw Reggie Benton,
albeit eight years ago, he was white.

He never graduated from high school, went to Virginia to finish high
school instead of matriculate to U-M, then went to Purdue, and was
kicked off the team.

SteveB

Mentor
Rumor down here is that Sam committed to Michigan over the weekend, but is waiting for the right time to make the announcement. According to my sources, Michigan promised Sam that if he committed, they would not offer an other RB in the 2008 class. With only one RB signed for 2007 and Sam in 2008, it sounds like they expect to give Sam the rock if they aren't going to offer any other RBs.

Texas A&M had a shot at him, but his dad's ties to Michigan were just too strong to overcome. Good luck to him.

voice

Guru
I just watched his tape on Youtube. This kid is a great running back

smiley32.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
From what I've heard,Sam is down to five schools.I really think it's more than likely down to three.Michigan,USC,and Florida.All three of these schools piss me off with their treatment of white football players.I hope this kid knows what he is doing.There are so many schools that want him and only a few that would properly make him into the biggest star rb in the nation.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I really think that if he goes to a school that is not recruiting another top 10 running back in the 2008 class even if it's Michigan that he will, in the not too distant future, become the featured RB.

If he goes to Michigan he will probably Red Shirt his first year or just wait as a backup a year until Mike Hart moves on to the NFL after this year. Hart is a legitimate NFL prospect and Sam won't take much of his playing time this year. One of McGuffie's Youtube videos has almost 500,000 views so he is a well know commodity and coaches would have no "explaining" to do for starting a white RB which is the main contributer to the caste system IMO. Accusations of racism of coaches for being unorthodox and bringing in lots of white players is a bigger factor than sterotyping whites IMO. A coach can keep the black backups complaining in line if "the evidence is so strong" that he is playing the right man that it explains itself.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

backrow

Hall of Famer
is he still suppose to announce his decision on July the 22nd?

i am extremely whiffy about Michigan, i'd love to have a white guy run a ball for them but then again Texas A&M would certainly give him a shot... why didn't he choose ND...
smiley19.gif

whiteCB

Master
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I really think that if he goes to a school that is not recruiting another top 10 running back in the 2008 class even if it's Michigan that he will, in the not too distant future, become the featured RB.

If he goes to Michigan he will probably Red Shirt his first year or just wait as a backup a year until Mike Hart moves on to the NFL after this year. Hart is a legitimate NFL prospect and Sam won't take much of his playing time this year. One of McGuffie's Youtube videos has almost 500,000 views so he is a well know commodity and coaches would have no "explaining" to do for starting a white RB which is the main contributer to the caste system IMO. Accusations of racism of coaches for being unorthodox and bringing in lots of white players is a bigger factor than sterotyping whites IMO. A coach can keep the black backups complaining in line if "the evidence is so strong" that he is playing the right man that it explains itself.

I hope your right Riggins but let's all keep in mind what happened to top 10 RB Tre Smith at Auburn. Hopefully Sam will have a legitimate chance to start at RB(before Sr. year especially!)>.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
With out a doubt.He has one year of high school left and he will start as a freshman.He is that good! The question is will he choose the right college that isn't afraid to start a white freshman running back.It would be mind boggling if he didn't play or got switched to another position although it's happened thousands of times before.If they screw this kid over,I will give up on football probably period!He is a superstar.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
I hope your right Riggins but let's all keep in mind what happened to top 10 RB Tre Smith at Auburn. Hopefully Sam will have a legitimate chance to start at RB(before Sr. year especially!)>.

Tre actually was ranked at 21 by Rivals.com and not even in the top 50 by Scout.com, plus he hadn't had nearly the publicity Sam has. Tre's athletic measurables weren't quite as good either. I really think McGuffie will start for a team in a competitive Division I conference and be a featured runner. He is such an elite talent. If McGuffie gets screwed, I may give up on football all together b/c if it's that bad we will probably never see a white 1000 yard rusher again this century.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I think white CB has a point about McGuffie and Tre Smith.
I think part of the reason Tre didn't get much action at Auburn was due to his size. All the other RBs they had were bigger, and 5'10" or 11" and 195lbs is small these days for a college player.
McGuffie is the exact same size as Tre, so I am cautious with my expectations about his college playing time.

backrow

Hall of Famer
i have no concerns, Tre as a senior was measured at a generous 5'10, 195 whereas Sam is already almost 6 feet tall and 190 lbs. and he still has another season before he goes to college, and by that time he can gain another 5 pounds or so.
by the time he hits NFL he can be 6'0, 210-215.

devans

Mentor
Wow! Great acceleration - and can change direction at speed like someone is flicking a switch.

jared

Mentor
ESPN ranks McGuffie as the 13th best RB prospect and the 97th best prospect overall. I don't have ESPN Insider so I was only able to read the following snippet from ESPN about Sam:

"Evaluation: McGuffie is an interesting player to study because so many of his traits lead you to believe he is a blue-collar overacheiver, but his blend of sensational speed and change-of-direction...

To continue reading this article you must be an Insider."

Had to share that little tidbit, it made me laugh (and maybe cry inwardly at the same time).
Edited by: jared

backrow

Hall of Famer
jared said:
"Evaluation: McGuffie is an interesting player to study because so many of his traits lead you to believe he is too white for his position, but his blend of sensational speed and change-of-direction...

fixed for clarity
smiley2.gif
Edited by: backrow

Riddlewire

Master
ESPN has finally chimed in with their 'hot recruits' list.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/news/story?id=2943 498
Not surprisingly, they don't think very highly of Sam. They have him as the 13th best RB in the country, 97th best recruit overall. He's also ranked lower than 12 'Athletes'. Funny, I don't remember that position from when I used to play football.

----
Oops. jared beat me to it. Oh well. There's the link for the list, anyway.

Edited by: Riddlewire