Philadelphia Eagles General Thread

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The post-Kelly Eagles haven't had many White players but have been savvy about the ones they do have. And it was GM Howie Roseman who hired Kelly.

With Blankenship, Goedert, really good o-linemen and now Shipley, DeJean and Pickett they're definitely a team I'm going to keep an eye on.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
The post-Kelly Eagles haven't had many White players but have been savvy about the ones they do have. And it was GM Howie Roseman who hired Kelly.

With Blankenship, Goedert, really good o-linemen and now Shipley, DeJean and Pickett they're definitely a team I'm going to keep an eye on.
Good point about Roseman.

Eagles looking like CF best option in NFC. Definitely have stockpiled some of our favorite overachieving talents!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Eagles looking like CF best option in NFC. Definitely have stockpiled some of our favorite overachieving talents!
I put the 49ers above them, especially after drafting Piersall. First round White receiver, McCaffrey, Kittle, Juice, Purdy, my favorite offense since the heyday of the Patriots. Vikings too are looking good, esp. on defense.

jphoss

Mentor
From a report on the Eagles' OTA practice:

1. Cooper DeJean played both at slot corner and at outside corner. I've seen a number of fans project him to safety, which I understand because the team has a lot more corner depth than safety depth. And sure, if at some point down the road it makes sense for DeJean to play safety, one of his best traits in college at Iowa was his versatility. But the team drafted him to play corner, and that is where they are initially playing him.
• Rookie fourth-round pick Will Shipley played some slot receiver. And by that I mean the Eagles had another running back on the field along with Shipley, and Shipley lined up at receiver. Shipley caught 69 passes his last two seasons at Clemson, so he has some receiving chops. He struggled a bit catching the football on Wednesday, but the more noteworthy point here is that the team views him as a potential weapon from the slot.

• I mostly liked what I saw from Kenny Pickett. He threw with more zip than I was anticipating, and he was mostly accurate. Two throws stood out: He hit Albert Okwuegbunam on the money on a deep ball down the seam. (Albert O. later had a bad drop.) He put a back shoulder throw in a perfect spot in the end zone to Kenny Gainwell who was being guarded by Ben VanSumeren.

I also read another article concerning a rumor that Philly may cut Kenneth Gainwell for salary cap reasons. That would be great for Shipley as most DWFs and media "experts" naturally assume that he's currently stuck behind Gainwell. Shipley is more talented than Gainwell in every area and hopefully will start the season behind only the somewhat injury prone Barkley.
Gainwell is nothing special, more a beneficiary of eagles o-line than his ability. Shipley has way more talent than him and cutting gainwell in favor makes sense from a roster building standpoint, but not from a caste standpoint

Reports out of camp are that Shipley, DeJean, Blankenship and even Kenny Pickett are on the rise.

Expect Shipley to take on the 3rd down back role early on. He should lead their RBs in receptions, which hopefully leads to more touches on the ground. DeJean has been playing outside, slot and safety. It's not clear where they intend to play him at this point, but it doesn't seem like they intend to switch him to safety right away.

Jalen Hurts is "still learning the offense" which is a polite way of saying he's struggling. The job could be Pickett's for the taking.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Reports out of camp are that Shipley, DeJean, Blankenship and even Kenny Pickett are on the rise.

Expect Shipley to take on the 3rd down back role early on. He should lead their RBs in receptions, which hopefully leads to more touches on the ground. DeJean has been playing outside, slot and safety. It's not clear where they intend to play him at this point, but it doesn't seem like they intend to switch him to safety right away.

Jalen Hurts is "still learning the offense" which is a polite way of saying he's struggling. The job could be Pickett's for the taking.
I've been posting some of those reports in this thread.

But it's wildly optimistic to say that the QB job "could be Pickett's for the taking." Philly is installing a new offense, which is part of the reason (or the media excuse) for Hurts struggling. More importantly, he was signed to a mega-contract and isn't remotely close to losing his job. The only way Pickett plays this season other than some mop-up duty is if Hurts is injured.

And from a Caste System perspective, it's better for now that Hurts is the starter as it enables the Eagles to "get away" with drafting high-end talent like Shipley and DeJean and playing Blankenship.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hurts certainly hit a wall last season. Kellen Moore’s offense doesn’t lend itself as much to running quarterbacks as those that remain in the pocket. I do agree it’s a long shot that Pickett will start this year unless hurts really stinks or is injured. It isn’t unprecedented though in Philadelphia as they jettisoned Wentz after 2 seasons under his big contract extension. The Eagles doing nothing to support Wentz while doing everything to surround Hurts with competent skill position players is a different conversation.

Let’s not forget Tanner McKee also played well for the Eagles in preseason last year.

jphoss

Mentor
if the cost getting a white safety, cornerback, and running back is hurts starting i’m fine with that. He’s not elite by any stretch but seems like a good leader and isn’t odious like cam newton

icsept

Master
if the cost getting a white safety, cornerback, and running back is hurts starting i’m fine with that. He’s not elite by any stretch but seems like a good leader and isn’t odious like cam newton
Agreed

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good article from Athlon Sports. Eagles Slay called CB Cooper DeJean SPECIAL.

I love it when people just say it like it is. It's funny that a professional black athlete can see what most white fans can't? Athletecism
can come in any color. Cooper DeJean might help to open some more dwf's eyes to the lies & stereotypes that most people believe.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Eagles have two excellent starting WRs in A. J. Brown and Devanta Smith, but then the quality drops off a cliff. Britain Covey is among those competing for the number three spot and if he gets a fair opportunity he could win it with his speed and moves as proven by his punt return ability. Philly remains a most interesting team to watch during training camp and the regular season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A couple Eagles tidbits: Britain Covey is the third best receiver on the team and would be a terrific "slot machine" if given the opportunity. The writer linked below thinks he might be "crazy" by stating the obvious:

"9A. Maybe I’m crazy, but if the Eagles ever needed to use Britain Covey in the slot I’m convinced he could handle it. The dude has some zip running routes, he catches everything thrown his way and he’s quick and elusive with the ball in his hands. He’s been getting a healthy dose of reps on offense, so maybe we’ll see Covey this year as more than a punt returner. Covey has only played 77 offensive snaps in two seasons, but he did catch three passes for 35 yards in the regular-season finale disaster against the Giants in January. One thing we've learned about Kellen Moore is that he wants to use every single possible skill guy in a variety of roles, and that just may include Covey this fall."

And for the hard-core folks who are into knowing each team's backup tight ends, according to the same writer Grant Calcaterra is way ahead of three non-Whites to be the man behind Dallas Goedert:

"4. We’re only a few days into camp, but Grant Calcaterra has already gapped the field – C.J. Uzomah, Albert Okwuegbunam, E.J. Jenkins – for the No. 2 tight end spot behind Dallas Goedert. Calcaterra is in his third year as a 6th-round pick, and his snaps dropped from 227 as a rookie to 118 last year. He’s only got nine career receptions, including a 40-yarder as a rookie. There’s not a huge body of work, but we know Calcaterra has good hands and can run. It’s just a matter of whether he can block well enough to not be a hindrance in the running game. You can't just throw when TE2 is on the field. “Grant has really done an excellent job to be the second tight end currently,” Kellen Moore said Thursday. “His consistency throughout OTAs, early in training camp. He has a great awareness and understanding of the game. He teams up with Dallas really, really well, and so we're excited about that.”

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good news all around! Find it funny Calcaterra is an instant upgrade at number 2 over all those upsider TEs mentioned!

jphoss

Mentor
A couple Eagles tidbits: Britain Covey is the third best receiver on the team and would be a terrific "slot machine" if given the opportunity. The writer linked below thinks he might be "crazy" by stating the obvious:

"9A. Maybe I’m crazy, but if the Eagles ever needed to use Britain Covey in the slot I’m convinced he could handle it. The dude has some zip running routes, he catches everything thrown his way and he’s quick and elusive with the ball in his hands. He’s been getting a healthy dose of reps on offense, so maybe we’ll see Covey this year as more than a punt returner. Covey has only played 77 offensive snaps in two seasons, but he did catch three passes for 35 yards in the regular-season finale disaster against the Giants in January. One thing we've learned about Kellen Moore is that he wants to use every single possible skill guy in a variety of roles, and that just may include Covey this fall."

And for the hard-core folks who are into knowing each team's backup tight ends, according to the same writer Grant Calcaterra is way ahead of three non-Whites to be the man behind Dallas Goedert:

"4. We’re only a few days into camp, but Grant Calcaterra has already gapped the field – C.J. Uzomah, Albert Okwuegbunam, E.J. Jenkins – for the No. 2 tight end spot behind Dallas Goedert. Calcaterra is in his third year as a 6th-round pick, and his snaps dropped from 227 as a rookie to 118 last year. He’s only got nine career receptions, including a 40-yarder as a rookie. There’s not a huge body of work, but we know Calcaterra has good hands and can run. It’s just a matter of whether he can block well enough to not be a hindrance in the running game. You can't just throw when TE2 is on the field. “Grant has really done an excellent job to be the second tight end currently,” Kellen Moore said Thursday. “His consistency throughout OTAs, early in training camp. He has a great awareness and understanding of the game. He teams up with Dallas really, really well, and so we're excited about that.”

To me what’s “crazy” was the eagles thinking jalen raegor was an nfl receiver, let alone a first round talent. If covoy was black there would have been calls by dwf and media to “get that speed on the field” but he’s white so nothing but crickets. With the wr talent the eagles have covoy could get some good opportunities, and nobody around here will be surprised if he takes advantage of it

Booth

Mentor
Will Shipley took snaps with the first team yesterday while Barkley was out for personal reasons.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Shipley is a better RB than Kenneth Gainwell in every way, but even if Gainwell remains the second back behind Barkley this season it's likely his last one in Philly. And I do expect Will to eventually surpass Gainwell in touches as the season goes on. And Barkley's injury history is well known.

Kenneth Gainwell​

The announcement of Kenny Gainwell's acquisition as a fifth-choice in 2021 made many feel like Philly hadn't gotten a steal by selecting him there. He's not as bad as some of his detractors seem to think he is, but he probably isn't talented enough to be a full-time and/or long-term starter.

Saquon is signed for two more seasons after his current one ends. Philly invested draft capital in Will Shipley. There are more than 30 players on expiring or one-year deals including Josh Sweat and Milton Williams, and they are both higher-priority signings than Kenny G.

This could be a swan song.

jphoss

Mentor
Shipley is a better RB than Kenneth Gainwell in every way, but even if Gainwell remains the second back behind Barkley this season it's likely his last one in Philly. And I do expect Will to eventually surpass Gainwell in touches as the season goes on. And Barkley's injury history is well known.

Kenneth Gainwell​

The announcement of Kenny Gainwell's acquisition as a fifth-choice in 2021 made many feel like Philly hadn't gotten a steal by selecting him there. He's not as bad as some of his detractors seem to think he is, but he probably isn't talented enough to be a full-time and/or long-term starter.

Saquon is signed for two more seasons after his current one ends. Philly invested draft capital in Will Shipley. There are more than 30 players on expiring or one-year deals including Josh Sweat and Milton Williams, and they are both higher-priority signings than Kenny G.

This could be a swan song.

Definitely gainwell’s last year, and I can see by november shipley getting more snaps than him. Shipley is already the more talented player but the eagles will give gainwell the benefit at first

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Cooper DeJean takes snaps as the first-team and second-team nickel back. That is just one of several takeaways from practice.
Philly's coaching staff wanted to ease Cooper DeJean back into the swing of things after missing more than three weeks of training camp on-field action. He was activated from the NFI (Non-Football Injury List) on August 13th. Four days later, he took snaps with first-team AND second-team as the nickel corner.

Warhawk_46

Master
Cooper DeJean is the best athlete in their secondary. He is likely already their best player there.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking forward to watching DeJean and Blankenship on the field together this season.