Philadelphia Eagles General Thread

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The post-Kelly Eagles haven't had many White players but have been savvy about the ones they do have. And it was GM Howie Roseman who hired Kelly.

With Blankenship, Goedert, really good o-linemen and now Shipley, DeJean and Pickett they're definitely a team I'm going to keep an eye on.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
The post-Kelly Eagles haven't had many White players but have been savvy about the ones they do have. And it was GM Howie Roseman who hired Kelly.

With Blankenship, Goedert, really good o-linemen and now Shipley, DeJean and Pickett they're definitely a team I'm going to keep an eye on.
Good point about Roseman.

Eagles looking like CF best option in NFC. Definitely have stockpiled some of our favorite overachieving talents!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Eagles looking like CF best option in NFC. Definitely have stockpiled some of our favorite overachieving talents!
I put the 49ers above them, especially after drafting Piersall. First round White receiver, McCaffrey, Kittle, Juice, Purdy, my favorite offense since the heyday of the Patriots. Vikings too are looking good, esp. on defense.

jphoss

Mentor
From a report on the Eagles' OTA practice:

1. Cooper DeJean played both at slot corner and at outside corner. I've seen a number of fans project him to safety, which I understand because the team has a lot more corner depth than safety depth. And sure, if at some point down the road it makes sense for DeJean to play safety, one of his best traits in college at Iowa was his versatility. But the team drafted him to play corner, and that is where they are initially playing him.
• Rookie fourth-round pick Will Shipley played some slot receiver. And by that I mean the Eagles had another running back on the field along with Shipley, and Shipley lined up at receiver. Shipley caught 69 passes his last two seasons at Clemson, so he has some receiving chops. He struggled a bit catching the football on Wednesday, but the more noteworthy point here is that the team views him as a potential weapon from the slot.

• I mostly liked what I saw from Kenny Pickett. He threw with more zip than I was anticipating, and he was mostly accurate. Two throws stood out: He hit Albert Okwuegbunam on the money on a deep ball down the seam. (Albert O. later had a bad drop.) He put a back shoulder throw in a perfect spot in the end zone to Kenny Gainwell who was being guarded by Ben VanSumeren.

I also read another article concerning a rumor that Philly may cut Kenneth Gainwell for salary cap reasons. That would be great for Shipley as most DWFs and media "experts" naturally assume that he's currently stuck behind Gainwell. Shipley is more talented than Gainwell in every area and hopefully will start the season behind only the somewhat injury prone Barkley.
Gainwell is nothing special, more a beneficiary of eagles o-line than his ability. Shipley has way more talent than him and cutting gainwell in favor makes sense from a roster building standpoint, but not from a caste standpoint

Reports out of camp are that Shipley, DeJean, Blankenship and even Kenny Pickett are on the rise.

Expect Shipley to take on the 3rd down back role early on. He should lead their RBs in receptions, which hopefully leads to more touches on the ground. DeJean has been playing outside, slot and safety. It's not clear where they intend to play him at this point, but it doesn't seem like they intend to switch him to safety right away.

Jalen Hurts is "still learning the offense" which is a polite way of saying he's struggling. The job could be Pickett's for the taking.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Reports out of camp are that Shipley, DeJean, Blankenship and even Kenny Pickett are on the rise.

Expect Shipley to take on the 3rd down back role early on. He should lead their RBs in receptions, which hopefully leads to more touches on the ground. DeJean has been playing outside, slot and safety. It's not clear where they intend to play him at this point, but it doesn't seem like they intend to switch him to safety right away.

Jalen Hurts is "still learning the offense" which is a polite way of saying he's struggling. The job could be Pickett's for the taking.
I've been posting some of those reports in this thread.

But it's wildly optimistic to say that the QB job "could be Pickett's for the taking." Philly is installing a new offense, which is part of the reason (or the media excuse) for Hurts struggling. More importantly, he was signed to a mega-contract and isn't remotely close to losing his job. The only way Pickett plays this season other than some mop-up duty is if Hurts is injured.

And from a Caste System perspective, it's better for now that Hurts is the starter as it enables the Eagles to "get away" with drafting high-end talent like Shipley and DeJean and playing Blankenship.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hurts certainly hit a wall last season. Kellen Moore’s offense doesn’t lend itself as much to running quarterbacks as those that remain in the pocket. I do agree it’s a long shot that Pickett will start this year unless hurts really stinks or is injured. It isn’t unprecedented though in Philadelphia as they jettisoned Wentz after 2 seasons under his big contract extension. The Eagles doing nothing to support Wentz while doing everything to surround Hurts with competent skill position players is a different conversation.

Let’s not forget Tanner McKee also played well for the Eagles in preseason last year.