NFL News, Rumors and Musings

Booth

Mentor
Raiders wide receiver Michael Gallup retired yesterday at age 26. Hello Hunter Renfrow, where are you?

Warhawk_46

Master
The shunning of Hunter Renfrow and Andy Isabella is especially head scratching as slot receiver had become a “whites allowed” position.

I think it is hard to understate the greatness of Tom Brady and his willingness to soar with white receivers. Rogers tried at time in Green Bay but didn’t put his foot down hard enough.

jphoss

Mentor
Top 10 "Edge Rushers" according to an NFL Survey

#1 Myles Garrett
#2 TJ Watt
#3 Micah Parsons
#4 Nick Bosa
#5 Maxx Crosby
#6 Aidan Hutchinson
#7 Danielle Hunter
#8 Josh Hines-Allen
#9 Trey Hendrickson
#10 Brian Burns

5 of the 10 are white & 4 of the Top 6!!

Not bad with a position that is 75-80% black!

And I would argue myles garrett at 1 is a joke. He is a one trick pony I would have him closer to 10 than 1

Warhawk_46

Master
And I would argue myles garrett at 1 is a joke. He is a one trick pony I would have him closer to 10 than 1
Garrett is a very good player but he is not better than Watt, Bosa or Crosby. I’d have him situated somewhere between 4-6 personally.

TwentyTwo

Master
AGREED! & Warhawk too! Yeah TJ Watt was likely #1 before the injury....give me him over Garrett on my team any day!

Iowa in the Top 5 joining the Deep South!

The State of Vermont has NO Football team.

1722449420206.png

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was talking with my brother about whites being replaced in sports. He said he thought that the merger of the NFL and AFL was the beginning of whites being replaced in football. I had never considered that point before. This is the only chart I could find to show the shift in players starting in the 60s.

It coincides with the revolutionary changes in U.S. society that began following the JFK assassination and greatly accelerated late in that decade and haven't slowed down since, not with the NFL-AFL merger.

Cole Bishop has now joined Cooper DeJean in the "week to week" category. Not good, as an early injury is what wiped out Riley Moss's rookie year and put him behind the eight ball going into this year. Charlie Jones is another whose rookie season was derailed by injury and who now has more competition for WR playing time in '24 than he would have last year.

Sam Hubbard and Trey Hendricksen are both week to week as well. I always hate seeing important White players getting injured this early on. At least Ricky Pearsall is healthy now and practicing with the 49ers.

I was talking with my brother about whites being replaced in sports. He said he thought that the merger of the NFL and AFL was the beginning of whites being replaced in football. I had never considered that point before. This is the only chart I could find to show the shift in players starting in the 60s.

These trends were apart from the merger. Had the AFL and NFL stayed separate leagues it would have made no difference.

jphoss

Mentor
AGREED! & Warhawk too! Yeah TJ Watt was likely #1 before the injury....give me him over Garrett on my team any day!

Iowa in the Top 5 joining the Deep South!

The State of Vermont has NO Football team.

View attachment 4582
And Iowa has done that without the inherent bias of recruiting rankings. I looked up the 5* rankings over the past decade and after Texas at 1 it’s FL GA CA Al and LA. These southern states benefit from selection bias. And the class of 2025 5* has TX #1 and then GA #2 with FL and AL tied at 3. Apparently none of the great hs players in PA warrant a 5* and only 1 from OH which I assume is a black player