NFL Combine

Gi-15

Mentor
History shows that most converted WR don't become good in-line blockers. They lack the technique and experience, and most of the time toughness. Name a converted college-WR who was considered a good blocker by his 3rd season.

dwid

Hall of Famer
So you are a stat guy? you can't just look at what he did in his career and then automatically say hes good. Look at the tape or you can dissect the stats. He had one good year statistically, production dropped a little the next year, and then alot the one after that, according to this stat graph production levels will only continue to fall haha. My ex roommate is a ducks fan and i watched some of this guy. He sucked. He did have a case of the dropsies.

dwid

Hall of Famer
KirkGibson said:
Gi-15 said:
KirkGibson said:
Gi-15 said:
Yeah, and they are going to like his separation skills too, ever heard of Mike Williams, Reggie Williams, Dewayne Jarrett? they had pretty good college careers too... when will NFL scouts learn?

Playing armchair scout and gm 3 or 4 years AFTER the fact is extremely easy.  BEFORE the fact, no one is 100% certain of how someone will perform until the step on the field, and play for a few years.  

The methodology of determining how a player will apply his talent on the next level is more an art than a science.
Obvouisly you got to project what you're going to get from a player. And I guess you do that by comparing history of the player, his current skills-set with player you already know. What makes you think that this guy will ever be a regular player in the NFL?

I never said the guy was gonna be a regular player.  No one did.  This is the combine, not the draft.  He might not even get drafted.  I think you guys might be getting a little ahead of yourselves with this guy.  He's simply being evaluated just like everyone else in attendance.  It's not that serious.

It is serious when their are much more talented players like Eric Peterman being left out.

Gi-15

Mentor
All I'm saying here is with his declining production, the fact that he has bad hands, and his obvious lack of speed, why wouldn't NFL scout wants to find out more about a guy like Eric Peterman, or DJ Boldin, or any guy more deserving. Thats all.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Gi-15 said:
History shows that most converted WR don't become good in-line blockers. They lack the technique and experience, and most of the time toughness. Name a converted college-WR who was considered a good blocker by his 3rd season.

We have a guy like that on the Saints. Billy Miller former WR from USC. 32 and still can't block worth a damn, and fans love the guy because "all he does is catch passes". Even though he gets no push on blocks and hurts the running game, and hes also gotten beat so many times on pass protection. I remember this year he cost us a game, he was thrown to the side like a rag doll in his attempt to block, got Drew Brees sacked which caused a fumble. By the time drew dropped back the guy was already there. Then they scored off of that. Difference between 8-8 and 9-7.

dwid

Hall of Famer
KirkGibson said:
dwid said:
It is serious when their are much more talented players like Eric Peterman being left out.

It's serious to you, but not to anyone who matters.  I doubt scouts and GM's are losing any sleep at Peterman not being there.
who the hell are you? If you dont care about the players then get the F*ck out of here.
Who cares about the the gms? We care about the players who deserve a shot to make it, and they are not getting the chance to showcase their talent. So if you don't agree with that then get the hell out of here.
how will a gm or scout ever know about him? you think they have time to look at every receiver in the nation? You dont care about those players? All the hard work they did to get to where they are despite of the caste system working against them? You dont care about their families that are rooting for them to make it? but no some guy that is less talented gets to be seen and noticed by a scout and thats okay?
get out of here, seriously.Edited by: dwid

Gi-15

Mentor
Lol, earing Charles Davis(or mashall faulk, don't recognize the voice) eat during a commercial break is absolutly hilarious, gotta love NFL.com coverage.Edited by: Gi-15

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Don't know much about this J. Williams player, but there are at least a few guys I can think of that play Flanker or Slot that run in the 4.7 range. It really depends on how he breaks in and out of cuts and his burst. Can he get separation like a Bolden, Fitzgerald or Swift (the later two are a little faster at 4.63/4.64) Kelly or Jarrett (yet to succeed) (for Flankers) or a Amendola (yet to succeed) or Bess type (Slot guys). I would have to see his film, but with hands of stone on top of a 4.7 40 and a drop in production; it would seem to be biased if he were drafted ahead of Swift.

Ernest Wilford was the slowest starting WR in the league in '07 and ran a 4.78 40, but he should not have been starting. He is not as talented as the other guys mentioned IMO and is even slower.

Gi-15

Mentor
I gotta agree with you Dwid, he won't be an every-down player, but I'd still take him on my team.

Knoshown Moreno "the pride of NJ" ran an unofficial 4.55

dwid

Hall of Famer
I hope there will be a way to download this combine, because tommorow the part of the combine im looking the most foward too i will miss. It is Lundi Gras a day where alot of good parades and partying happens. Mardi Gras day is actually a little less fun than Monday evening and night.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Gi-15 said:
I gotta agree with you Dwid, he won't be an every-down player, but I'd still take him on my team.

Knoshown Moreno "the pride of NJ" ran an unofficial 4.55
yeah he wouldnt be a bad player to have but like you said wouldnt be able to have a heavy workload, so i dont know where that puts him in the draft.

Moreno, you know how Mayock lists negatives for every player, well when Moreno came up on top RB he was 1. and his negative read a POSITIVE, i forget what it said, but apparently there are no negative aspects to Knowshon Moreno, he is apparently the best RB to ever play.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Issac Bruce and Jerry Rice were 4.6 guys, but played real fast and had hell of careers. Bruce still plays. However, white guys generally aren't allowed to run 4.6s and play NFL WR. I can't think of any white WR other than Camarillo and Welker who both basically are 4.6 flat guys (Welker plays like a 4.3 guy in his first 10 yards); who are truly slow over 40 yards for a WR and gotten a shot.

I mean even non-burners like Bennett and Walter (they're huge and 4.5 guys I believe) aren't slow. And then Jones and Curtis are the only freaks getting playing time.

Anyone name a white guy who runs a 4.6 or slower other than Welker and Camarillo who has gotten a legit shot. David Anderson was 4.57 I believe and he was cut by his team originally like Welker before last year. Anderson has freakish burst and makes great cuts.

It seems like most of the white freaks don't get a shot for some reason. For instance the Combine doesn't invite them like with (Peterman, Burgeron etc.) or their team's offense ends their career like Kyle Hudson or RB/WR Stan Zwinggi (left for baseball and played in the lower level respectively) in college. Or for an NFL example (Kasper, Berlin etc.) However, neither do the slow guys get a shot; we are left with the VERY PRODUCTIVE guys who PLAY FAST but run 4.5-4.59 who have to do the usual APPRENTICESHIP; not sure why the fastest white guys in Div.IA don't usually get drafted as WRs or Safeties.

But as we all know white RBs and CBs are banned by the NFL.
smiley7.gif

Sorry for the rant; I was just hoping that Swift would run better and Collie would be at least slightly faster. A white WR has to do everything in his game BRILLIANTLY to get a fair shot right away.

dwid

Hall of Famer
KirkGibson said:
dwid said:
KirkGibson said:
dwid said:

It's serious to you, but not to anyone who matters.  I doubt scouts and GM's are losing any sleep at Peterman not being there.
who the hell are you? If you dont care about the players then get the F*ck out of here. Who cares about the the gms? We care about the players who deserve a shot to make it, and they are not getting the chance to showcase their talent. So if you don't agree with that then get the hell out of here. how will a gm or scout ever know about him? you think they have time to look at every receiver in the nation? You dont care about those players? All the hard work they did to get to where they are despite of the caste system working against them? You dont care about their families that are rooting for them to make it? but no some guy that is less talented gets to be seen and noticed by a scout and thats okay? get out of here, seriously.

Hahaha, oh okay.  I guess I'll leave because you told me to, lol.

First of all, I'll post wherever the f*ck I want to post.  Secondly, no, I don't care about these people.. and I care even less about their families.  Whatever happens to Jaison Williams or Eric Peterman over the next few months has absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever.

Jaison Williams had more catches than Peterman, more yards than Peterman, more yards per catch than Peterman, and more touchdowns than Peterman.  His numbers dropped when the Ducks went from a 67% completion, running quarterback to a scatter-armed nobody.  Will he get drafted?  Maybe not.. but his actual on-field production earned him a look. 

Like I said before, I've never even heard of this clown, but NFL did, and made the decision to invite him based on that production.  You're just gonna have to live with it.

then apparently you dont give a damn about anything this site values so why are you on here? go post on some yahoo msg board, youll fit in better. You dont care about talented White players who can play in the NFL getting shafted. Yeah it has no impact on your life. What if you had a son who played wide receiver and got shafted when he was obviously good enough to play? Or any family member? Then would it have an impact on your life? or maybe you would care if it happened to you. Im glad you only care about yourself, you seem like a wonderful person.

btw Peterman was in an offense that had a quarterback with a weak arm, pretty much all of his yards came AFTER the catch, most of the throws were behind the line of scrimmage and he still put up good stats, 2,000 yards receiving over his career. He is very athletic and can make defenders miss. He also returned punts, ran with the ball on trick plays, threw a few touchdowns and played alot of other special teams positions. Watch his highlight, he is way better than Williams and deserves a shot over him, and Peterman had better stats than quite a few guys at the combine.Edited by: dwid

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
KirkGibson said:
dwid said:
KirkGibson said:
dwid said:

who the hell are you? If you dont care about the players then get the F*ck out of here. Who cares about the the gms? We care about the players who deserve a shot to make it, and they are not getting the chance to showcase their talent. So if you don't agree with that then get the hell out of here. how will a gm or scout ever know about him? you think they have time to look at every receiver in the nation? You dont care about those players? All the hard work they did to get to where they are despite of the caste system working against them? You dont care about their families that are rooting for them to make it? but no some guy that is less talented gets to be seen and noticed by a scout and thats okay? get out of here, seriously.

Hahaha, oh okay.  I guess I'll leave because you told me to, lol.

First of all, I'll post wherever the f*ck I want to post.  Secondly, no, I don't care about these people.. and I care even less about their families.  Whatever happens to Jaison Williams or Eric Peterman over the next few months has absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever.

Jaison Williams had more catches than Peterman, more yards than Peterman, more yards per catch than Peterman, and more touchdowns than Peterman.  His numbers dropped when the Ducks went from a 67% completion, running quarterback to a scatter-armed nobody.  Will he get drafted?  Maybe not.. but his actual on-field production earned him a look. 

Like I said before, I've never even heard of this clown, but NFL did, and made the decision to invite him based on that production.  You're just gonna have to live with it.

If you don't care at all why are you here? Maybe the NFL did invite the right guys for the most part IDK. Other than Peterman (who I definitely have a gripe about) there probably was no real white snubs. The bottom line is the FBS isn't giving the white guys that deserve it a shot; they have to walk-on or go to the lower levels. Even athletic freaks with great H.S careers like (Ben Bowen, Stan Zwinggi or Brad Mueller) do.

And about Beanie Wells. Yes he is a similar player to Peyton Hillis, maybe "slightly" more second level agility for Wells. Toby Gerhart is another similar player. But who gets all the hype.

About Moreno: I don't care he ran a 4.55; he is still the best RB in this draft hands down IMO. Maybe Zwinggi would have been right up there (if he played in the FBS for the right team) but Moreno is damn good!

I'm looking much more forward to next year. It's the yr. of the white skill player!

Gi-15

Mentor
Of course 4.55 or 4.63 is alright for a RB and he is the best RB in THIS class. But you know as well as me that this time is similar to jacob hester last year and noboby is going to call moreno a tweener

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
When Danny Woodhead got no combine invite last yr., after breaking all the inter-conference rushing records and being just an athletic freak, we all know the NFL Combine often snubs whites. I think Omon, Hightower and another small school RB was invited; how could they leave out Woodhead?