Miscellaneous Boxing News

white is right

Hall of Famer
Not a lot of boxing this weekend with the major card being Berlanga vs Quigley.

Yes Quigley is the B side in a showcase fight against the PR fighter. This card has the return of Adam Kownacki against a human target in Joe Cusumano.

Quigley is supposed to highlight Berlanga's power but Berlanga seems like he has hit the wall skills wise and there is reason why Bub Arum dropped Berlanga if Quigley can take the power of Berlanga he could give him rounds and win rounds late as Berlanga seems to run out of ideas if he can't blast out an opponent.

As for Adam this is probably the last chance to make a serious run in the division as the last time I saw Cusumano he was getting battered around the ring by Frank Bruno clone Daniel Dubois and the broadcasters stated that Cususmano was brought in to highlight the skills of Dubois.

PS Adam has Sugar Hill Steward in his corner and has visibly lost significant fat, this should help him in cutting off the ring against the stationary Cusumano.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes Quigley is the B side in a showcase fight against the PR fighter. This card has the return of Adam Kownacki against a human target in Joe Cusumano.

Quigley is supposed to highlight Berlanga's power but Berlanga seems like he has hit the wall skills wise and there is reason why Bub Arum dropped Berlanga if Quigley can take the power of Berlanga he could give him rounds and win rounds late as Berlanga seems to run out of ideas if he can't blast out an opponent.

As for Adam this is probably the last chance to make any serious run in the division as the last time I saw Cusumano he was getting battered around the ring by Frank Bruno clone Daniel Dubois and the broadcasters stated that Cususmano was brought in to highlight the skills of Dubois.

PS Adam has Sugar Hill Steward in his corner and has visibly lost significant fat, this should help him in cutting off the ring against the stationary Cusumano.
Updating the DAZN card in the semifinal Joe Cusasmano rallied and used a second wind to batter around a fading Kownacki which forced a stoppage from either the ringside doctor or the veteran corner led by Steward.

The fight had 3 clear momentum swings as the burly Sicilian dropped Adam late in the first and gassed out in the 2nd round going for the stoppage as the Polish local hero rallied and was on the verge of stopping Cusasmano but he too gassed around the 7th round and was battered again but remained on his feet but had a hard look from the referee and the ringside doctor. In the 8th round sensing blood Cususmano upped his punch rate and wobbled Adam and this prompted the ringside doctor and Steward to signal the end of the fight as Kownacki was teetering on the ropes.

This should spell the end of any illusions of Kownacki being a viable B side opponent for any elite heavyweight and Cususmano might get a big money B side shot against a Whyte type or somebody else on the Matchroom roster.

In the main event there was no mystery in who won the fight as the two last round knockdowns cemented a Berlanga victory but Quigley had his moments as once again Berlanga was only aggressive in spurts and seemed to sleep walk through portions of the bout.

booth

Mentor
Kownacki needs to hang them up today. It's obvious he has brain damage. His motor skills are to the point he went o take a step forward and he actually went backward. That knockdown was vicious.

freedom1

Mentor
Kownacki needs to hang them up today. It's obvious he has brain damage. His motor skills are to the point he went o take a step forward and he actually went backward. That knockdown was vicious.
Kownacki had a good run. He just took too much punishment in his career.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I concur his chin is broken and his motor skills are fading badly and maybe his conditioning too as he was outworked by the Turk in his last fight and he had his burly Italian opponent ready to go but hit the wall and let him recoup his energy.

It's only a matter of time before he starts slurring like Toney or Bowe if he sticks to boxing. I hope this retirement sticks as there is nothing left to give.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes it's the chief support bout of the ESPN card headed by Anderson vs late sub Charles Martin.

I have never heard of the Nigerian opponent of the colossus from the Russian hinterland. Judging off the record of the Nigerian he may be able to crack the colussus' chin but he could have destroyed a series of street sweepers too. I know this Makhmudov has crushing power and is ready to be tested we shall see what he has in front of on Saturday night.

PS England has two cards with White prospects and on the Hearn card Dalton Smith fights veteran Mullato Sam Maxwell. Supposedly if Smith wins he will advance to world level opponents.

NikoDuke

Mentor
Dalton Smith needs to show well as his two recent fights, especially against Allington were underwhelming. Will be watching with keen interest.

booth

Mentor
I have seen Akeijiori box on youtube. I don't know if it was his opponent or if he is that good, but he show good hand and foot speed with some pop in his right hand. These are heavyweights and anything can happen. Big heavyweights at that.

white is right

Hall of Famer
It was tee off time in the semifinal bout. I know Martin was a last minute replacement but he is a known entity and would be a better measuring stick than the defenseless Nigerian. There aren't many contenders out there that are going to fight this not so friendly giant unless it's for an eliminator or title as his power is lights out.

Dalton Smith flattened his veteran opponent this afternoon and if Hearn isn't fudging on the truth he will be matched with a world level 140 pound fighter.

Also ethnic Italian German national Vincenzo Gualtieri out worked Afro-Brazilian Esquiva Falcao and won the vacant IBF middleweight strap, this belt was vacated by GGG and adds fuel to the fire on the GGG retirement talks or he is looking for one last cash out fight against a big name without sanctioning body interference.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
It was tee off time in the semifinal bout. I know Martin was a last minute replacement but he is a known entity and would be a better measuring stick than the defenseless Nigerian. There aren't many contenders out there that are going to fight this not so friendly giant unless it's for an eliminator or title as his power is lights out.

Dalton Smith flattened his veteran opponent this afternoon and if Hearn isn't fudging on the truth he will be matched with a world level 140 pound fighter.

Also ethnic Italian German national Vincenzo Gualtieri out worked Afro-Brazilian Esquiva Falcao and won the vacant IBF middleweight strap, this belt was vacated by GGG and adds fuel to the fire on the GGG retirement talks or he is looking for one last cash out fight against a big name without sanctioning body interference.
For those not in the know The Stanios title defense against tough Mexican American Vergil Ortiz Jr. is off for the third time and I don't see this being rescheduled again. Two straight times Ortiz has been too sick to weigh in and I suspect it's for the same reasons this time as he is cutting weight too finely and he was in the early stages of organ failure.

Stanios is out a 2 million dollar pay day but there might be a silver lining as he could be in line to fight the winner of the Spence vs Crawford super fight or in the case of Spence could be elevated to the full WBA champion as Spence is on the record of wanting to enter the Canelo sweepstakes if he wins the super fight.

PS with the scratching of the title fight on the DAZN card tonight this is a weekend with no White contenders or prospects fighting as Tristan Kalkreuth is a Mulatto with an ethnic name.https://fightnews.com/ortiz-jr-pulls-out-of-stanionis-fight-again/149982

Last edited:

NikoDuke

Mentor
If the boxing orgs cared about their boxers, then someone would have spoke to Ortiz and his camp about his cuts and his weight class.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If the boxing orgs cared about their boxers, then someone would have spoke to Ortiz and his camp about his cuts and his weight class.
The BBC (British Board of Control) did this with the rematch of Wood vs Lara as Lara had to cut a dangerous weight and they wouldn't let Lara cut a huge amount of weight to make 126 and they allowed the fight to go on with only Wood having the ability to win the belt if he won the fight.

I agree weight cutting is getting too dangerous and more needs to be done about this as too many champions are more weight bullies than great boxers.

white is right

Hall of Famer
This is the weekend boxing schedule. It looks like Martin vs Harutyunyan is the main event. Martin is the heavy favorite. I know very little about either fighter. If anyone has any knowledge about them please comment.

I only know both fighters names nothing more. Josh Kelly headlines a British card but this time he has moved up to 154 pounds after seeming to tire and get violently ko'd at 147.

We also had the Fury vs Ngannou circus announced for October and Usyk vs Dubois signed and sealed for late August. Normally I would hope for the circus fight to bomb and to end these junk fights but even if the PPV buy rate is about the recent Mayweather buy rates it won't hurt Fury or the MMA champion as both have purses bank rolled by Saudi oil money.

PS I found that Harutyunyan is German based and is ethnic Armenian I'm guessing. Being based out the German boxing bubble isn't what it was when the Klitschko's were headlining world wide broadcast cards. These days the top German based fighters are really only on domestic television unless they leave the bubble for larger purses.

Updating the card from yesterday Kelly easily beat his Mestizo Argentine opponent as the scores were wide but he didn't impress according to ringside reports. It may have been his opponent who seemed like going the distance was a higher priority than going to war in the trenches.

Kelly was rated number 2 by the WBO heading into the fight so he may become a mandatory for Tszyu as he is about to be elevated to full champion as Charlo has punched a ticket in the Canelo sweep stakes. Kelly may need to get a stiffer test than this to have realistic shot of beating the peaking Tszyu.

The PBC card had Viktor Postol in a B side veteran test against an Afro-Dominican opponent and Postol looked decent until he was tagged by his opponent and then age and ring wars seemed to catch up to the veteran as he was dropped in the 6th and in trouble but riding out the storm when the referee saw enough and saved Postol in the 7th round.

Postol who is near 40 should call it day but the broadcasters mentioned he had his family in Ukraine and he is obviously the bread winner for his family. He may fight on for hard currency but he has nothing left to give at the world level and doesn't have any realistic shot to a big money fight at 140 pounds.

In the main event Harutyunyan seemed to build up an insurmountable lead before he slowly faded under the desperate attack Frank Martin but under the PBC promotional banner a PBC fighter has two rounds banked before the fight starts as a narrow win or at worst a draw was made into a narrow loss.

If PBC is protecting the brand in a lightweight eliminator look for more skullduggery when Alvarez is in a tight fight as he is the banner of the PBC while he fights through a three fight deal.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bohachuk fighting tomorrow, also Kambosos.
Yes Bohachuk is in a showcase fight on UFC fight pass and Kambosos fights limited Maxie Hughes on ESPN. Both favorites especially Bohachuk should win fairly easily.

Bohachuk is positioned to fight for a vacant belt at 154 pounds if Charlos is stripped of his 4 belts as the boxing insiders expect after his fight with Canelo.

Updating the fights from last night it looks like I watched the wrong fight as Bohachuk destroyed his veteran opponent in the first round while Kambosos seemed to get a house fighter decision in his favor.

Kambosos really never got on track and Hughes while not very busy was out boxing the Australian national but a telling sign of the things to come when Timothy Bradley stated to the affect Kambosos is the A side and he just signed a multi-fight deal with Top Rank.

IMO Hughes should have won a narrow decision or at worst settled for a draw but we got this dreadful decision.

Last edited:

booth

Mentor
This is not the best angle to see the knockout but it was scary. Dickens stays down for several minutes.

white is right

Hall of Famer
This is not the best angle to see the knockout but it was scary. Dickens stays down for several minutes.

There were a few fights we didn't mention as they weren't broadcast on North American television. This was one of the fights that we missed Dickens has failed every time he has stepped up to world level opponents and has been violently ko'd too. It may be the end of the line for him.

PS for anybody that can wake up for the fight the "Monster" fights tomorrow morning at around 8am EST and he is challenging for Fulton's two 122 pound world titles. This fight might be a cracker as Inoue is the most dynamic fighter below 126 pounds and Fulton is a respectable fighter who is naturally larger.

booth

Mentor
There were a few fights we didn't mention as they weren't broadcast on North American television. This was one of the fights that we missed Dickens has failed every time he has stepped up to world level opponents and has been violently ko'd too. It may be the end of the line for him.

PS for anybody that can wake up for the fight the "Monster" fights tomorrow morning at around 8am EST and he is challenging for Fulton's two 122 pound world titles. This fight might be a cracker as Inoue is the most dynamic fighter below 126 pounds and Fulton is a respectable fighter who is naturally larger.
I agree White is right. Inoue vs Fulton might be the fight of the year material. Thanks for the reminder.

booth

Mentor
Inoue is just too strong and fast. He stopped Fulton in the 8th round. Inoue is a monster.

white is right

Hall of Famer
GOAT Asian boxer in my opinion.
As long as Pacman has won world titles in 8 divisions and he has higher profile wins I don't think there is an argument. You could argue he could beat Pacman at 122 or 112(Pacman would have been destroyed as he was weight drained at 112) but the resume is too deep to argue GOAT status IMO.

PS Fightnews had a picture gallery and the first photo demonstrates how he has super human power for a sub 126 pound fighter as he leaps off the ground like Dempsey, Marciano and Tyson...https://fightnews.com/inoue-kos-fulton-in-8-conquers-122lb-titles/150724