Miscellaneous Boxing News

white is right

Hall of Famer
Not any caste matchups of note this weekend.
Sergio Garcia is the B side on the PBC super fight card against a Cuban prospect who is getting fast tracked to the 154 pound championship level. If he loses this fight he will probably drift down to the gatekeeper level for fringe contender status. I looked up the record of the Cuban and his management team already have a fight lined up for late August. So Garcia will have to fight the system to earn a decision in this bout.

I may comment on this fight if I watch the entire broadcast, I could also comment on the main event and any rumors on what will happen to the belts after the super fight ends. Spence is on record that he is "moving on up" so if he wins all 4 belts will become fragmented and depending on the pull of the fighters it could be quickly.

Truthman

Guru
Sergio Garcia is the B side on the PBC super fight card against a Cuban prospect who is getting fast tracked to the 154 pound championship level. If he loses this fight he will probably drift down to the gatekeeper level for fringe contender status. I looked up the record of the Cuban and his management team already have a fight lined up for late August. So Garcia will have to fight the system to earn a decision in this bout.
that's what they want. American promoters aren't even signing White European fighters lately (apart from Tom Loeffler). Yet they are all signing Cubans recently.

white is right

Hall of Famer
that's what they want. American promoters aren't even signing White European fighters lately (apart from Tom Loeffler). Yet they are all signing Cubans recently.
As I feared/predicted Garcia was given B side treatment and was stopped in the 3rd round while under fire after a violent knockdown but still trying to parry shots and he fired back a combination as the referee intervened. He should have been given the benefit of the doubt, contrast this with the main event where Spence was beaten from pillar to post and violently dropped 3 times and was dropped twice in the 7th round yet he was allowed to continue and absorb a violent beating well into the 9th round.

All the talk of the titles being immediately split up if Spence won are over as Crawford won't jump to 154 for a rematch. Stanionis will probably get a title shot at some point next year or his team could push for an elevation to a full championship if Crawford balks at the purse for this fight.

PS Tszyu will be elevated to a full champion the minute Charlo enters the ring against Alvarez in their super fight and Brian Mendoza looks like he will be elevated too. There are rumors that the two camps are negotiating for a unification bout in Australia later this year.

Also Crawford has changed his mind and is willing to jump to junior middleweight for a Spence rematch. The machinations for the various belts in both divisions should play out in the next few months. https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/38125564/wbo-award-tim-tszyu-full-world-champion-status

https://www.ringtv.com/656817-teren...unior-middleweight-rematch-with-errol-spence/

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
As I feared/predicted Garcia was given B side treatment and was stopped in the 3rd round while under fire after a violent knockdown but still trying to parry shots and he fired back a combination as the referee intervened. He should have been given the benefit of the doubt, contrast this with the main event where Spence was beaten from pillar to post and violently dropped 3 times and was dropped twice in the 7th round yet he was allowed to continue and absorb a violent beating well into the 9th round.

All the talk of the titles being immediately split up if Spence won are over as Crawford won't jump to 154 for a rematch. Stanionis will probably get a title shot at some point next year or his team could push for an elevation to a full championship if Crawford balks at the purse for this fight.

PS Tszyu will be elevated to a full champion the minute Charlo enters the ring against Alvarez in their super fight and Brian Mendoza looks like he will be elevated too. There are rumors that the two camps are negotiating for a unification bout in Australia later this year.

Also Crawford has changed his mind and is willing to jump to junior middleweight for a Spence rematch. The machinations for the various belts in both divisions should play out in the next few months. https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/38125564/wbo-award-tim-tszyu-full-world-champion-status

https://www.ringtv.com/656817-teren...unior-middleweight-rematch-with-errol-spence/
I was waiting for Area Required to post this but the Jake Paul wigger circus hits the air waves tonight. This time he brings his act to DAZN and he fights the younger of the Diaz brothers. Judging from the talk of Diaz he has mailed it in as he is talking about being the "better fighter". It could be another ugly ko win for Paul who seems to perpetually have floaties on in the shallow end of the boxing world while collecting millions for novelty fights.

PS hot off the presses idiot musclebound lunkhead Dillian Whyte tested positive for a PED and he is scratched from a PPV that was supposed to happen next week. I don't know what credible opponent can be found in a week. Dave Allen has been begging for a big fight but Joshua would probably blow through him like a blow torch through butter with a full training camp for Allen let alone short notice. https://www.boxingscene.com/anthony...ematch-due-drug-test-adverse-findings--176707

PS 2 Updating actually fights ethnic German-Argentine Guido Schramm fought on a prospects card on Showtime last night and fought to a draw with his AA opponent Paul Kroll(who initially thought was White due to his ethnic name). Since the Argentine was the B side he probably eked out a tough decision win if this was fought on neutral ground.

Schramm will come again on these Showtime prospect cards. He will probably need a spectacular win to graduate to a Showtime contender card.

PS 3 Updating the circus card from last night Jake Paul pounded a fairly obvious decision over pro MMA aging bad boy Nate Diaz.

Diaz was under fire in the first round and gave ground after being wobbled as it looked like a matter of time before in the inevitable ko but Diaz settled down and won a few rounds. He was violently dropped in the 5th round but rode that out and down the stretch he took the fight to Paul.

Paul while showing he could go 10 still looks like a novice fighter in terms of work rate and head movement but he did show good leg work late when Diaz who still can absorb a frightful beating and keep coming for more rallied late.

Where the Paul circus goes next is anybody's guess but he has thrown out Colin McGregor as an opponent and dreamed of Alvarez out loud.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
I was waiting for Area Required to post this but the Jake Paul wigger circus hits the air waves tonight. This time he brings his act to DAZN and he fights the younger of the Diaz brothers. Judging from the talk of Diaz he has mailed it in as he is talking about being the "better fighter". It could be another ugly ko win for Paul who seems to perpetually have floaties on in the shallow end of the boxing world while collecting millions for novelty fights.

PS hot off the presses idiot musclebound lunkhead Dillian Whyte tested positive for a PED and he is scratched from a PPV that was supposed to happen next week. I don't know what credible opponent can be found in a week. Dave Allen has been begging for a big fight but Joshua would probably blow through him like a blow torch through butter with a full training camp for Allen let alone short notice. https://www.boxingscene.com/anthony...ematch-due-drug-test-adverse-findings--176707

PS 2 Updating actually fights ethnic German-Argentine Guido Schramm fought on a prospects card on Showtime last night and fought to a draw with his AA opponent Paul Kroll(who initially thought was White due to his ethnic name). Since the Argentine was the B side he probably eked out a tough decision win if this was fought on neutral ground.

Schramm will come again on these Showtime prospect cards. He will probably need a spectacular win to graduate to a Showtime contender card.

PS 3 Updating the circus card from last night Jake Paul pounded a fairly obvious decision over pro MMA aging bad boy Nate Diaz.

Diaz was under fire in the first round and gave ground after being wobbled as it looked like a matter of time before in the inevitable ko but Diaz settled down and won a few rounds. He was violently dropped in the 5th round but rode that out and down the stretch he took the fight to Paul.

Paul while showing he could go 10 still looks like a novice fighter in terms of work rate and head movement but he did show good leg work late when Diaz who still can absorb a frightful beating and keep coming for more rallied late.

Where the Paul circus goes next is anybody's guess but he has thrown out Colin McGregor as an opponent and dreamed of Alvarez out loud.
Well this is turning chicken s&^t into processed chicken nuggets as Joshua is fighting Robert Helenius on Saturday and the fans will win in one aspect as this will be a regular DAZN card instead of a PPV.

Helenius fought last week and destroyed a Finnish club level fighter so he will be reasonably fit. Helenius should roll the dice and test the suspect chin of Joshua who seems more gun shy than he has ever been in his career. He has nothing to lose with this replacement fight.

booth

Mentor
As White is right mention Anthony Jousha vs Robert Helenius is the main fight on a HW card. Hagovic vs McKean and Johnny Fisher is fighting Harry Armstrong and Chisora vs Gerald Washington. I believe it could be make or break time for a couple of these heavyweights.

white is right

Hall of Famer
As White is right mention Anthony Jousha vs Robert Helenius is the main fight on a HW card. Hagovic vs McKean and Johnny Fisher is fighting Harry Armstrong and Chisora vs Gerald Washington. I believe it could be make or break time for a couple of these heavyweights.

Yes we have literally an old fashioned pro wrestling retirement match with Chisora vs Washington and even Helenius has to win or look lively before a stoppage or a tight points loss for him to be anything but a B side prospect opponent. Fisher is stepping up from Eastern European blue collar worker types to a somewhat skilled domestic level B side guy. Armstrong could expose Fisher but I can't see a stoppage loss as he has no pro knockouts. If McKean has a chin the Hrgovic fight could be the gem of the card as Mckean is fit and ready to go but as with all heavyweight prospects there is an unknown quantity about his chin and stamina, El Animale will test that.

ESPN has a card with Richard Torrez making another appearance on a barn burner main event with Navarette vs Valdez. Showtime has a card too but I haven't looked at the lineup to see if any prospects or contenders are on the undercard.

PS Helenius looks in similar muscle tone to his fights with Adam K. and Wilder so he won't be lugging around an extra 15 to 20 pounds while trying cut off the ring or move away from Joshua.

Last edited:

Arerequired

Mentor
I thought Helenius would be getting in there after his Wilder loss, but it seems he got a layup not even a week ago. Interesting to see if he can pull an upset somehow, I don't think so but who knows.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I thought Helenius would be getting in there after his Wilder loss, but it seems he got a layup not even a week ago. Interesting to see if he can pull an upset somehow, I don't think so but who knows.
Wrapping up the weekend of fights, starting from the bottom of the Saturday afternoon card Campbell Hatton had a workman like win over a domestic 140 pound junkyard dog type opponent. He has improved but he has a long way to go before he can even challenge for even an area level title.

Johnny Fisher ended up blowing out his decent domestic level opponent but he had a stamina check and had to pace himself after his spectacular start to the bout as he bowled over his opponent with the first combination he landed but Harry Armstrong was there to win he just didn't have the weaponry to win a shootout unless Fisher emptied his clip.

In the Hrgovic fight he had problems getting through the reach of the taller McKean until he got in a violent counter in the 12th round. McKean staggered to the ropes and seemed to get rabbit punched a bunch of times and wobbled around the ring and was viewed as too concussed to continue. The stoppage was debatable as it would have been in the referee's right to call a foul and give time or deduct a point and give time.

McKean will come again as he looked durable but he still needs more seasoning for the elite levels of boxing.

In the main event Helenius was violently stopped in the 7th round but he had his moments and was even feeling it at points of the 5th with a strong jab and a few crosses but his conditioning let him down after that and the ko was a matter of time.

Helenius privately talked about going on but it will only be for B side money and at a lower level than his last two major bouts. I hope he retires but this is boxing and too many fighters don't see the writing on the wall.

Saturday night White ethnic Mexican Richard Torrez blew out his skilled but not durable journeyman opponent in the first round. It will be hard to match this prospect as he has to start like a house on fire with his limited height and reach in this era of giants.

PS if anybody can watch a copy of Naverrete vs Valdez it has the potential to be the fight of the year as it was an all out war that became less competitive as Valdez had an eye that closed.

Last edited:

Arerequired

Mentor
Yup looks like Joshua was a slow starter against Helenius before Helenius got tired and was caught, I don't think it bodes well for him against Wilder.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yup looks like Joshua was a slow starter against Helenius before Helenius got tired and was caught, I don't think it bodes well for him against Wilder.
Yes he looks like Robby the Robot. During the 6th round break he bewilderedly asked his coach about throwing the right hand against Wilder this would be fatal as he doesn't fight with the bullying style Fury used against Wilder in their rematch and rubber bout.

This weekend is slow as I don't know of one major North American card and Britain has two prospect cards on Saturday where a few White B side veterans and prospects are fighting on the card.

PS what would boxing be without another failed PED test this time it's a female champion with guns like a bodybuilder she was trying to become the face of female boxing now she can be another failed PED cheat....https://www.boxingscene.com/alycia-baumgardner-undisputed-reign-jeopardy-positive-drug-test--176996

Now seems to be as good time as ever for a weekend wrap up. On Friday on a DAZN card I missed this diamond in the rough prospect Lorenzo Medina won an undefeated prospect battle at heavyweight with a tko win. He is only 18 and looks like he has good layer of fat but has boxing skills and good hand speed.

I assumed he was a Mulatto/Black prospect but he is a red headed ethnic PR prospect we will have to flag him as prospect to keep an eye for the future.

Also on Friday Irish Traveller Dennis McCann had a technical draw against Romanian B sider Ionut “Il Capo” Baluta a violent head clash went to the scorecards and a draw was declared after the cards were tallied. I missed this one as I assumed it was on Saturday but it might be a bad sign that McCann was even up with a fighter like this after 9 rounds.

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
Black American boxer Kelvin Johnson has become a Russian citizen and changed his name to Kelvin Valdimirovich, in honor of Vladimir Putin.
A huge week of boxing this week. A lot of heavyweight action. Usyk vs Dubois and Jalolov vs Ehwarieme and more.

Didn't know about the Usyk fight. That's big. Dubois got jabbed to death in his loss. Look for Usyk to do the same.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Black American boxer Kelvin Johnson has become a Russian citizen and changed his name to Kelvin Valdimirovich, in honor of Vladimir Putin.
A huge week of boxing this week. A lot of heavyweight action. Usyk vs Dubois and Jalolov vs Ehwarieme and more.

Yes cue up the Black Russian jokes. I think a Black Russian is a mix of vodka and black liqueur but when Jones arrived in Moscow it was a mix of ******* and a dash of Anglo-Saxon ancestry. Call Johnson a Dirty Black Russian which holds the Anglo-Saxon ancestry....

Jokes aside what does Johnson offer Putin or Russia. Jones was reportedly a roving coach for amateur boxers and novice pros in exchange for paying down his debt to the IRS. Johnson is just a sparring partner these days and his career hit the skids years ago and is now a .500 fighter and a true journeyman. Maybe he can head up a revived Wagner group suicide squad that charges Ukrainian machine gun nests....

PS the Usyk Dubois weigh in happened and Usyk was in a similar weight range for his two fights with Joshua but Dubois was noticeably down from his recent weights in his WBA regular title fights.

Arerequired

Mentor
Usyk KOs DuBois, sitting him down for the count with a picture-perfect jab(?), but it was far from his best night. There was a big scare in the fifth round where Usyk was badly hurt and dropped by a blow which looked just below the belt and was given recovery time, I guess it was a low blow as subsequent bodyshot lacked this effect, and he was letting the limited, but likely improved DuBois get off too easy.

Unless Usyk is getting ring rust off this makes the superfight look more favorable for Fury.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Usyk KOs DuBois, sitting him down for the count with a picture-perfect jab(?), but it was far from his best night. There was a big scare in the fifth round where Usyk was badly hurt and dropped by a blow which looked just below the belt and was given recovery time, I guess it was a low blow as subsequent bodyshot lacked this effect, and he was letting the limited, but likely improved DuBois get off too easy.

Unless Usyk is getting ring rust off this makes the superfight look more favorable for Fury.
Usyk gored the bull and the bull wanted no more. As for the phantom knockdown I couldn't make heads or tails over the punch it looked very borderline but Usyk was looking at the referee when he rested on his posterior and that is another debate if he would have beaten the count if it was called a legal blow and would he have had the legs to wriggle out of a very dangerous situation.

This is something that will be debated for years in England and will be something similar to the Tunney vs Dempsey II long count for the English.

Updating the debate I have a still photo from a British paper and the blow looks low if you strictly interpret the rules as the glove wasn't fully landing on the waist line and seemed to partially land there and partially go in the soft section above the reproductive organs. I can see why a referee could be wrong on the call as only a still photo is evidence of this. Even if they used replay and determined the blow was legal and gave Dubois the knockdown the momentum would have been lost and as we saw he would have been ko'd. https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/boxing-fans-convinced-daniel-dubois-30796326

Last edited:

Arerequired

Mentor
Usyk gored the bull and the bull wanted no more. As for the phantom knockdown I couldn't make heads or tails over the punch it looked very borderline but Usyk was looking at the referee when he rested on his posterior and that is another debate if he would have beaten the count if it was called a legal blow and would he have had the legs to wriggle out of a very dangerous situation.

This is something that will be debated for years in England and will be something similar to the Tunney vs Dempsey II long count for the English.

Updating the debate I have a still photo from a British paper and the blow looks low if you strictly interpret the rules as the glove wasn't fully landing on the waist line and seemed to partially land there and partially go in the soft section above the reproductive organs. I can see why a referee could be wrong on the call as only a still photo is evidence of this. Even if they used replay and determined the blow was legal and gave Dubois the knockdown the momentum would have been lost and as we saw he would have been ko'd. https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/boxing-fans-convinced-daniel-dubois-30796326
Some think it was an upward arcing type blow that jolted the cup on the way, would make sense as Usyk took hard body punches after the fact and from Joshua in his last fight, reacting better.

Chisora is the first one I saw pull the race card in this situation, I hate having to link LDBC type channels but this is the only source where I could find him saying this:

“IT WAS A BLACK GUY FIGHTING IN A WHITE COUNTRY, WHAT YOU EXPECT?” Derek Chisora RAW on USYK DUBOIS

Considering all the mayhem black fighters are and were allowed to get away with I don't have much sympathy either way.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Some think it was an upward arcing type blow that jolted the cup on the way, would make sense as Usyk took hard body punches after the fact and from Joshua in his last fight, reacting better.

Chisora is the first one I saw pull the race card in this situation, I hate having to link LDBC type channels but this is the only source where I could find him saying this:

“IT WAS A BLACK GUY FIGHTING IN A WHITE COUNTRY, WHAT YOU EXPECT?” Derek Chisora RAW on USYK DUBOIS

Considering all the mayhem black fighters are and were allowed to get away with I don't have much sympathy either way.
Yes the photo showed the punch arcing up and then hitting around the belt line but it could have easily hit the cup and then kept on going upwards.

When a guy gets hit in the abdomen and can't take the punch he will usually act like he's out of breath and trying to gasp for air, this was Usyk having a pained expression like somebody punched him in the crown jewels.

At that point in the fight he was having it his own way so he had no need to play act like he was shot to buy time to get a second wind. The protest by Warren will probably go nowhere. At best Dubois will retain a high ranking and get an eliminator off this controversial call.

Literally multiple millions for Usyk or Dubois was on the line with a call if Pabon ruled in this manner or went the other way and called it a legitimate body blow.

Updating the card from tonight Zhan Kossobutskiy will have to retreat to the German circuit after he tried to halt the lineage of Efe Ajagba as he repeatedly hit the protective cup of the Nigerian fringe contender and was disqualified. I thought the point deductions were probably too quickly but once two points were taken and another warning was given it was a matter of time before the German based Eurasian was disqualified.

In the main event Andriy Rudenko was cornered and stopped by Jared Anderson. He was stopped on his feet where he seemed to surrender without going down or being wobbled. There was a similar stoppage in the chief support bout on the Usyk vs Dubois card where Naseem Hamed's son stopped a non combative fighter who wasn't fighting back but hadn't truly surrendered. Hamed's son was pounding on a novice fighter but Rudenko was a veteran who had shown durability. There was no way he was going to win the fight without divine intervention but the fight hadn't been beaten out of him either.

booth

Mentor
As many undeserved decisions as British boxers get when they fight in England they ought to shut the heck up. The only place that comes close to having as many bad decisions is Las Vegas.

The Hock

Master
Usyk got nailed with some good shots from a hard punching natural heavyweight and took them well. He probably has a lot on his mind.
Usyk-Fury set up now. Might turn into a dirty one when Usyk gets inside and Fury goes to his bag of tricks.

Dubois seems like a nice kid in a rough sport. Might want to try his hand at cricket.

Arerequired

Mentor

“WHY WEAR A F*****G PROTECTOR, HE STAYED ON HIS KNEE AT THE END” Barry Jones BRUTALLY HONEST | USYK​

More and more evidence is coming out that the shot was illegal, Barry says he heard it hit the cup.

It was a nearly unanimous among boxing fans that Usyk was hit with a clean bodyshot immediately after it happened, the probable reason being they simply want to see him lose.