Miscellaneous Boxing News

Arerequired

Mentor
Also Fury is suprisingly quiet about this fight, neither him nor Joshua showed up to the event.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Smith Vs. Eubank Jr. rematch this weekend.
Yes was going to post about this one as it's a PPV in GB but is on ESPN+ during Saturday afternoon. Dave Allen is the B side in his clash with Frazer Clarke who weighed in at a whopping 270 pounds. Allen himself is 257 so neither guy will move and box, it will be a phone booth brawl that will probably go the distance as Clarke looks like he can't punch his way out of a wet paper bag and Allen isn't a puncher either.

PS cue up the laugh tracks as Mahmoud Charr vs walking Balco lab Jarrell Miller will be fighting for the trinket that Daniel Dubois used to challenge for the unified title last week.

Boxing politics beyond the ropes is a total joke similar to college football's old ratings system before the playoffs....https://www.boxingscene.com/mahmoud...list-ordered-next-face-jarrell-miller--177390

Well it was a tough day for White contenders and domestic B side opponents as Dave Allen was predictably beaten like a used bongo drum until he quit in his corner. The limited Clarke was docked 2 points for low blows and Allen claimed a possible broken jaw but from what I saw of the action the traffic was one way.

Allen needs to look at himself in the mirror and see what he wants out of boxing as he is a danger to himself more than any decent fighter. If he fights on it will only be as b side opponent for prospects to shine and move on to more dangerous opponents.

Similar to Allen Beefy Smith was beaten in a one sided manner and as far as I ever saw never had a moment against Eubank Jr. At the time of the stoppage he had been dropped in the 4th and was wobbled in the 10th but bobbing and weaving when the referee stopped the fight but it seemed like a matter of time before a more violent stoppage was going to happen.

On the surface it would seem like a rubber bout would be a box office bomb but the British public have a love hate relationship with junior who similar to his pops is half wrestling villain half boxer and makes way too much money for what he has accomplished in the ring.

I don't know where this leaves Smith as he looked tiny compared to Junior and looked like a blown up 154 pounder against at fight time a true 175 pounder.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Looks like mostly a Mexican boxing weekend schedule. Lighter weights so there should be plenty of action.

Yes all on Friday?

Are the boxing networks ducking college football?

Philly junkyard dog Joey Daweko is fighting a main event promoted by Marshall Kaufmann and is a local fan favorite. I have never heard of his opponent so he should chalk up a win.

I will probably tune in to the ESPN card as White Mexican Luis Alberto Lopez is defending his IBF featherweight title that he won off of Josh Warrington and was last seen knocking out Mick Conlan in a frightening manner.

PS Kenzie Morrison was signed by Lou Dibella and will probably have a last chance run to relevance in the heavyweight division. I haven't heard a word about his half brother Trey. He may have hung up his gloves for good. https://fightnews.com/dibella-inks-kenzie-morrison/152593

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes all on Friday?

Are the boxing networks ducking college football?

Philly junkyard dog Joey Daweko is fighting a main event promoted by Marshall Kaufmann and is a local fan favorite. I have never heard of his opponent so he should chalk up a win.

I will probably tune in to the ESPN card as White Mexican Luis Alberto Lopez is defending his IBF featherweight title that he won off of Josh Warrington and was last seen knocking out Mick Conlan in a frightening manner.

PS Kenzie Morrison was signed by Lou Dibella and will probably have a last chance run to relevance in the heavyweight division. I haven't heard a word about his half brother Trey. He may have hung up his gloves for good. https://fightnews.com/dibella-inks-kenzie-morrison/152593
This week is a slow week for White contenders but Zach Parker has his first comeback fight since his retirement against John Ryder he is fighting somebody named Khalid Graidia. This should be just a workout as I have never heard of Graidia before.

Irish prospect Pierce O'leary fights British Mulatto Kane Gardner, The Irishman is a betting favorite as Gardner has been out boxed twice on his two losses and his opponents weren't elite fighters. So this should be at least a points win for the hot prospect with decent power at the 140 limit.

PS the main event should be donnybrook with Chinese national Zhilei Zhang vs British Mulatto and fan favorite Joe Joyce the winner especially if it's Zhang could be argued that they are the number 3 heavyweight after the two champions as both Wilder and Joshua have either been inactive or picking and choosing soft opponents as they both wait for a near record purses from Skills Challenge promotions in their much talked about bout.

Also in the evening EST Connor Benn makes his controversial comeback on a DAZN card promoted by Matchroom while not having a license in the GB. His opponent is unknown so should be a soft record padding opponent. As far as I know no Whites are even B side fighters on the card promoted out of Florida.

PS2 Benn's opponent is a lanky White Mexican but he is a very long shot B side opponent who has been brought in for a highlight reel stoppage. As of midnight Benn is a 33 to 1 favorite to win this bout.

Last edited:

Arerequired

Mentor
Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes as you two noted Joyce got his chin cracked and probably won't have a chin like he had in the Parker and previous fights again. The first signs of his chin going were in the first fight when he was badly wobbled a few times. He was able to rally a bit before the ringside doctor showed mercy on him and advised the referee to stop the fight. Here he never had one moment beyond possibly edging the feel out first round.

Zhang will be a live dog against any world level heavyweight because of his underrated hand speed, power and long reach. I hope he gets his shot in a timely manner or he could fall of a cliff due to aging.

Pierce O'Leary had his stamina tested but clearly beat Kane Gardner who only had an argument for winning a round or two. O'Leary looks like he is a genuine prospect who doesn't panic when his opponent doesn't wilt after a sustained attack. That's good sign going forward.

Zack Parker had a shutout against the limited but durable French national Graidia when Graidia's corner showed mercy upon their fighter and stopped the fight at the end of the 8th round. Hopefully this is the end of this level opponent and Parker fights a British level or European level opponent in his next bout as this was a glorified sparring session.

I have watched a few Queensbury cards now and seems like the matchmakers won't risk the 0 of their prospects, while it fattens up their records I fear these guys aren't learning anything in these bouts.

As I stated Connor Benn's Mexican opponent was brought in to highlight his punching power but he showed a chin similar to Joyce's previous to his two Zhang bouts. The Mexican at times had his headed twisted similar to Linda Blair in the Exorcist but kept on coming and gave good value for a 33 to 1 dog but never seemed to be truly ready to spring the monumental upset.

The most interesting thing in the next while concerning Benn is whether the BBoC grants a license to Benn...

Last edited:

Booth

Mentor
This weekend boxing is headlined by Canelo vs. Charlo. Canelo is -400 as the favorite. Light heavyweight Oleksandr Gvozdyk is fighting on the undercard. Also, Col. Bob Sheridan has passed away at the age of 79. He was the voice of boxing calling over 10,000 fights in his lifetime.

white is right

Hall of Famer
This weekend boxing is headlined by Canelo vs. Charlo. Canelo is -400 as the favorite. Light heavyweight Oleksandr Gvozdyk is fighting on the undercard. Also, Col. Bob Sheridan has passed away at the age of 79. He was the voice of boxing calling over 10,000 fights in his lifetime.

On Saturday afternoon DAZN has a Matchroom card with Opetaia vs Jordan Thompson as far as I can tell only obscure White prospects are on that card. Also Boxxer has a competing card but as far as I can tell no White prospects are on the card as Callum Simpson appears to be Quadroon type.

I may watch the Matchroom card as it appears to be deeper and the main event is fairly intriguing. As you stated Canelo returns in a tricky defense. Logic states he should grind down Charlo late but he didn't really look good against the similar sized Ryder and Charlo is a good 3+inches taller but he has to adapt to a new weight class which should be the deciding factor.

The "Nail" is buried on the internet portion of the card as the PPV broadcast has no Whites less Canelo.

PS Fury vs Usky is signed and sealed and will be in Saudi Arabia during Riyadh Season which is something similar to a sporting festival ie a small Olympic festival. https://fightnews.com/fury-usyk-is-signed/153142

PS2 I completely missed Gassiev vs Wallin is earlier than the cruiserweight lineal title fight so if I find a feed that works I will watch this intriguing bout as the winner will be a highly ranked contender and a decent defense for a champion or a decent B side opponent for Joshua or Wilder if their grudge match doesn't materialize.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We get an early Christmas Present this year on December 23rd. This fight should be entertaining!

white is right

Hall of Famer
On Saturday afternoon DAZN has a Matchroom card with Opetaia vs Jordan Thompson as far as I can tell only obscure White prospects are on that card. Also Boxxer has a competing card but as far as I can tell no White prospects are on the card as Callum Simpson appears to be Quadroon type.

I may watch the Matchroom card as it appears to be deeper and the main event is fairly intriguing. As you stated Canelo returns in a tricky defense. Logic states he should grind down Charlo late but he didn't really look good against the similar sized Ryder and Charlo is a good 3+inches taller but he has to adapt to a new weight class which should be the deciding factor.

The "Nail" is buried on the internet portion of the card as the PPV broadcast has no Whites less Canelo.

PS Fury vs Usky is signed and sealed and will be in Saudi Arabia during Riyadh Season which is something similar to a sporting festival ie a small Olympic festival. https://fightnews.com/fury-usyk-is-signed/153142

PS2 I completely missed Gassiev vs Wallin is earlier than the cruiserweight lineal title fight so if I find a feed that works I will watch this intriguing bout as the winner will be a highly ranked contender and a decent defense for a champion or a decent B side opponent for Joshua or Wilder if their grudge match doesn't materialize.
Updating the equivalent of "Bowling Day" for boxing in the first major bout of the day Otto Wallin pitched a near shutout to neutral observer's eyes but had to settle for a tight split decision against the befuddled Murat Gassiev. He simply did a gym workout against the too stationary former cruiserweight champion. Wallin while not looking like a Rocky movie character or having Ray Leonard movement knows how to fight and score points and does enough with punch output to keep opposing fighters on the defensive. Aside from the last round where Wallin was rocked to his boots with a desperation combination with seconds to go had this fight his own way from the first bell and further demonstrated why nobody rings his number when a star heavyweight needs a B side opponent. Aside from a title fight two dream fights for fans with Joshua and Wilder won't happen as both star fights seem to want make one big pay day before riding off to the sunset a Wallin points loss would end that dream scenario for them. I could see Zhang giving Wallin a shot for his WBO interim title if he is shut out of a title fight himself as he has no time to waste waiting on Fury or Usyk.

Gassiev while having time on his side as he is still only 29 won't beat elite heavyweights if he can't cut off the ring against taller foes as he repeatedly was stopped in his tracks by probing jabs. It seems like it's mission impossible without that ability to slip the jab for him to be a player in the heavyweight division.

Updating the PPV tonight and the "Nail" nailed his opponent to the canvas in a preliminary bout with definitive 2nd round ko. He needs to step up the quality of opponents as he has twice destroyed cannon fodder opponents on non televised bouts of PPV mega fights. With the quality of opponents he has fought it's hard to tell if he is still a player in the deep light heavyweight division. A fight against a British contender like a Yarde would be a true test that would pay as much money as any fight less a title shot.

In the main event to cap off this "Super Saturday" Alvarez pounded out a wide unanimous victory with a 119-108 and two 118-109 scorecards. The fight resembled a sparring session where Alvarez worked on offense and Charlo worked on defense. One could argue that the two 118-109 scorecards were generous considering Las Vegas is Canelo town and I felt Charlo might have won the 5th round. I wonder if it's possible for a fighter now to beat Alvarez without sweeping the rounds or was this just a blimp in the titled scoring that Alvarez has enjoyed in Las Vegas for years.

PS I may update the Saturday undercard fights from England tomorrow if I can find the time to do so.

Last edited:

Arerequired

Mentor
Very boring fight in the main event Canelo was essentially walking Charlo down the whole time but no finish. Wallin seems to be a better fighter than he's rated and has given elite opponents trouble.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Very boring fight in the main event Canelo was essentially walking Charlo down the whole time but no finish. Wallin seems to be a better fighter than he's rated and has given elite opponents trouble.
Yes Charlo let Alvarez walk into his punching range without making him freeze or feel much pain beyond a few combinations here and there. But then again naturally larger 168 pounders like Callum Smith did this too so I can't fault a naturally smaller man BMI wise doing the same thing.

Yes as I said above Wallin is a better fighter than he appears when you initially look at him or watch him spar. There is a reason Eddie Hearn never talks about making that fight when Joshua has options to fight just about anybody in the world less Usyk. Before PED's were a problem in boxing guy with Wallin's body were quite common. He's much fitter and more nimble than he looks and has energy in reserve as the few times Gassiev tried to take it to third gear Wallin easily replied in kind and forced Gassiev to gear down.

I hope Wallin at least gets a big money fight off this quality win as he has been sputtering his wheels since the near upset of Fury 4 years ago.

freedom1

Mentor
When I was cruising around the live commentaries last night, I realized how much the brothers hate Canelo. I work at a school in Southern California, and the Hispanic kids really love Canelo. They seem to be OK with white appearance. They hold him as a hero. It's really an interesting situation.

white is right

Hall of Famer

Yes I saw that he died too. His career mirrored the rise of King's as a promoter and all of King's big championship fights he was the international voice. He tended to be a bit over the top and had elements of a wrestling announcer to his calls but aside from Don Dunphy or Howard Cosell who has the strongest image of the voice of boxing for English speaking calls besides the Colonel.

In recent years as King lost his control of the boxing business Sheridan called less fights but he teemed up with Larry Merchant and still did big fights in Europe and North America and called the Fury demolition of Wilder in their second bout and sounded similar to what he sounded like when he called Joe Frazier getting destroyed by George Foreman.

Sadly he was beaten badly in an attempted car jacking in his native area of Stockton California and had to retire from the physical damage he retained at his advanced age.

Rest easy Colonel, you earned the rest....

Truthman

Guru
Current world champs..
whites have 20 belts, 13 world champions in 10 weight divisions
blacks have 15 belts, 8 world champions, in 7 weight divisions

of note in particular is the current belt holders from heavyweight to super middleweight
Usyk, Usyk, Usyk, Fury
Billam-Smith, Goulamarian, Opetaia
Rozanski
Beterbiev, Beterbiev, Beterbiev, Bivol
Alvarez, Alvarez, Alvarez, Alvarez

^ not one single turd!

white is right

Hall of Famer

There was a very impressive pro debut ^ of Jimmy Sains, very heavy handed young middleweight. He's like british version of Khyzhniak!
Yes he looks like he has world level potential. Of course he will have to go up a few levels beyond cannon fodder Eastern European opponents but the potential is there.

This weekend Leigh Wood fights Josh Warrington in a British civil war fight for the WBA featherweight strap. If Wood wins he has already stated that he is moving up to 130 pounds but Warrington has stated if he wins he is staying put and wants a rematch against rugged Mexican Luis Alberto Lopez who beat him in a tight action packed fight.

In the evening Joe Smith fight Zurdo Ramirez in a catchweight cruiserweight contest. This could be a fight where Smith is at a crossroads as he was last seen getting flattened by Beterbiev and he has a decisive points loss to Bivol at 175 pounds so his championship future at 175 pounds looks bleak and if he can't look lively against Ramirez who was last seen looking like a statue against Bivol he may be a king without a country.

Both cards have White prospects and notable Eurasian prospect Bektemir Melikuziev who in the past was an all action fighter before his upset loss to Gabriel Rosado. He out boxed Rosado in their rematch but time will tell if this is a new style for the Central Asian who was must see tv with his previous aggressive style.

In a classic brawl Wood stopped Warrington by using his aggression against him with a well timed counter hook. This was after taking a beating that had him on the verge of stoppage himself. This fight will be talked about for decades and will be viewed as another great domestic clash up their with Benn vs Eubank brawls.

If there is to be a rematch it will have to be at 130 pounds as Wood has stated he is moving up to 130 pounds and by winning this bout is a lucrative challenger for any of the champions at the weight.

Last edited:

Arerequired

Mentor
If it was 12 rounds there is a chance Smith could have kept up the momentum and possibly won, but the fix was in anyways if it went to the cards as the scorecards were way too wide for Zurdo.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
If it was 12 rounds there is a chance Smith could have kept up the momentum and possibly won, but the fix was in anyways if it went to the cards as the scorecards were way too wide for Zurdo.
Yes I felt Ramirez won but as soon as I heard 99 to 91 you know the scorecards weren't going Smith's way. Oscar was protecting his investment. There is no way Ramirez didn't lose at least 3 rounds if not 4. He gave ground in too many rounds and it wasn't tactical like in the early rounds he was buzzed a few times.

Last edited:

Arerequired

Mentor
Gaulteri Vs. Janibek, Tszyu fighting and the clown fight with Tommy Fury Vs. a YouTuber this weekend.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Gaulteri Vs. Janibek, Tszyu fighting and the clown fight with Tommy Fury Vs. a YouTuber this weekend.
Yes during the day the clown show card is in England and Showtime and ESPN have competing cards in the evening. A few White prospects are on the ESPN card too. Richard Torrez is back in action and Guido Vianello is back after his cuts loss too. Depending on how the cards flow I could watch both cards main events. Both should be explosive, time will tell if Gaulteri is a paper champion but the Eurasian is the real deal and might have to go the Golovkin route to get recognition among the boxing fans.

PS a poster asked about the whereabouts of Vladyslav Sirenko and from what I have seen off of Box. Rec and he has been fighting out of the Ukraine and all sporting events are pretty much on hold as long as their is war on the country's soil. Unless his promoter works out a deal with a mainland European promoter or a North American promoter his career will be on hold as long as their is a war happening out of his current promotional country.

Updating the cards from Saturday there is nothing much to say about the misfits PPV but please let this dreck die a quick death. The Logan Paul fight looked like a sparring session until his opponent got frustrated and decided to show the world he knows MMA but for 5+ rounds never showed he knew much beyond holding up his gloves about boxing. Predictably after two fouls and one at the bell a brawl ensued. In the main event after about a round and half KSI predictably lost his energy and fight against Tommy Fury became a clinch and punch fest which Fury seemed to edge but was dreadful to watch.

As I have stated before of the "higher end" celebrity fights I have seen just as bad boxing fights but the fighters made appropriate money for their skill levels here these guys are making 6 figures to low 7 figures with novice skill levels. To put it in context the two evening main events had highly skilled fighters who probably made less than these two drecky fights.

Last edited: