Miscellaneous Boxing News

booth

Mentor
Thank you, Charles Martel, for the live-stream update. I appreciate the information.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Georgy Yunovidov was doing okay until the KO.

I's like to see Arslan Yallyev in with some heavyweight contenders, but he won't be able to overcome the current exclusion of Russian boxers unless he moves to America.

Perhaps he could join Beterbiev and Makhmudov in Montreal, Canada.

Fury won this fight by a split decision. I saw a close fight that could have been a draw and on another tangent the referee allowed a clear violent punch to the back of Paul's head and then deducted two ticky tacky fouls against both boxers. If the boxers are going to get paid elite boxer purses we needed an elite referee for their fights.

PS on a side note ancient Badou Jack sliced and diced the limited Makabu and won the WBC cruiserweight title and we learned why team Alvarez wanted to fight him.

I think the theme of the night should have been this song....
I saw an underwhelming but CLEAR VICTORY for Fury....elite referees seem to be hard to find.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Many times when the camps negotiate through the media the fight is close but is stuck on a money issue or the fight is dying on the vine so to speak. Supposedly Warren quipped that if Usyk didn't take the latest offer he should fight Daniel Dubois for 2 million dollars/pounds.

Nobody but Dubois' camp want this garbage fight but a generation ago nobody believed that Bowe vs Lewis would never get over the negotiation line when it was for all the marbles either and that phantom fight never happened.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
I can hardly believe it, but the fight is official now!

As I said yesterday if a fight is close or the other extreme these public taunts are leaked to the press or now social media so that they can blow up and create hype for the signed bout. This happened back in the King and Arum days and happens now. I can't recall how many times leaked stories about King and Arum having marathon sessions of negotiations with themselves and network executives for big cross promotions and then leaving in anger and Seth Abraham calling up one or the other and the big bout between promoters magically crossing the negotiation finishing line.

PS it's a fairly busy weekend for White prospects to contenders. During the day on DAZN quite a few prospects fight with Johnny Fisher being the highest profile one because he is a heavyweight. In the evening Tim Tszyu fights the veteran Tony Harrison for the WBO interim strap. For all of the talk of Harrison possibly having the green(at the world level) Tszyu's number, Tim is a logical 5/2 betting favorite as Harrison tends to fade down the stretch and gives up his length to brawl on the inside.

I am nearly certain I will watch the championship fight and might catch the British card depending if I can squeeze time in to watch the card if I see the prospect fights live or copies on Youtube or pirate sites I will comment on them.

Updating the prospect card from the UK Campbell Hatton keeps on chugging along and won a decision over a non descript foe. I only read a report on this one but it seems like he hasn't progressed much as he now is an opener of a free to air internet card. His pro debut was an opener of an over the air cable card where he looked very green and seemed to get the benefit of the doubt in one of his early cable fights. Promoters generally try and hide prospects by having them fight where he fought today.

Johnny Fisher bashed the journeyman opponent he fought and looked decent, the Italian national with same surname as former WBO heavyweight champion Francesco Damiani while not overly athletic was fit and much more skilled than some of his earlier opponents. Damiani protested the stoppage but he was trapped in the corner and ate a big bomb when the referee stopped the fight that he was never going to win without landing a bomb that the agressive Fisher didn't see.

And the new WBO interim champion Tim Tszyu, he slowly broke down the faded Harrison who seemed to be yapping like the proverbial terrier before the fight. In the end he had him trapped along the ropes and landed about 7 or 8 straight punches to the defenseless Harrison. The Showtime crew felt the referee was slow in stopping the fight and I tend to agree.

So far Tsyzu is by far and away the best of the next generation of boxers as most of the sons of champions to legends have been celebrity boxer level. Also look out for his brother Nikita who places his punches extremely well and has a chance to reach the world level and win a belt like his pops and brother.

Last edited:

booth

Mentor
Referee Bill Clancy has retired. I met Mr. Clancy years ago in the late 80s or early 90s refereeing tough man contests in N.C. and S.C. He lived in Pittsboro, N.C. at one time. The last thing he told the boxers was " Lets go to work."

white is right

Hall of Famer
Referee Bill Clancy has retired. I met Mr. Clancy years ago in the late 80s or early 90s refereeing tough man contests in N.C. and S.C. He lived in Pittsboro, N.C. at one time. The last thing he told the boxers was " Lets go to work."

I remember he was the among the best referee's in the Dixie circuit which is an unofficial minor league in boxing. For a while when Roy Jones was fighting out of Biloxi the boxing commissions used to import top name referees to work his mismatch title fights against various paper contender.

As you stated the under the radar Miller vs Browne fight happens this weekend in Dubai. Browne was supposed to fight about 6 weeks ago against Charr but the money fell through. Hopefully for him the purses are backed by a bank balance in the black. This fight will be hard to find on the net as it's picked up by another obscure broadcaster.

Michael Eifert fights 40 year old PED abuser Jean Pascal. On the surface this doesn't seem competitive but Pascal is 40 and hasn't looked good in years so he is there to be upset this fight is being covered by ESPN+

Irish national Callum Walsh fights on Friday in a showcase fight against the obscure Wesley Tucker this fight is on UFC fightpass and is another obscure broadcaster that will be hard to watch unless you have a huge cable bill.

If I watch any of these fights even on Youtube pirate copy I will comment on the fights but even Youtube may not have more than a few seconds of highlights for most of these bouts.

booth

Mentor
White is Right, I was just wondering if you knew a guy from around my area named Dale Frye. He was the lightweight kickboxing champion for 6 years. After he ended his kickboxing career he started refereeing boxing cards with Bill Clancy. They both did BNFC and boxing. His nickname was "Sunshine." Great guy. He was in the stunt business for years also.

white is right

Hall of Famer
White is Right, I was just wondering if you knew a guy from around my area named Dale Frye. He was the lightweight kickboxing champion for 6 years. After he ended his kickboxing career he started refereeing boxing cards with Bill Clancy. They both did BNFC and boxing. His nickname was "Sunshine." Great guy. He was in the stunt business for years also.
You know strangely enough no. I used to religiously watch ESPN, Tuesday Night fights and the HBO and Showtime cards but I don't know him. I recall Elmo Adolph being the dean of the Dixie circuit as he did a few Jones title fights and I recall him doing a few Ettiene fights when he was a regional draw in the Louisiana area.

PS the Eifert fight was last night in Quebec and he boxed the ears off of PED cheat Pascal and probably showed him the retirement door or will force him to give up world level ambition as he out sped, out worked and probably out skilled Pascal. The score cards were wide too which probably means it was near shutout in Germany or Britain.

I also found a copy of the weigh in of the Miller vs Browne fight and both are heavy but not truly fat. I can't see Miller being clean as I have never seen a man that large at his height carry 330 pounds that well...

Last edited:

booth

Mentor
You know strangely enough no. I used to religiously watch ESPN, Tuesday Night fights and the HBO and Showtime cards but I don't know him. I recall Elmo Adolph being the dean of the Dixie circuit as he did a few Jones title fights and I recall him doing a few Ettiene fights when he was a regional draw in the Louisiana area.

PS the Eifert fight was last night in Quebec and he boxed the ears off of PED cheat Pascal and probably showed him the retirement door or will force him to give up world level ambition as he out sped, out worked and probably out skilled Pascal. The score cards were wide too which probably means it was near shutout in Germany or Britain.

I also found a copy of the weigh in of the Miller vs Browne fight and both are heavy but not truly fat. I can't see Miller being clean as I have never seen a man that large at his height carry 330 pounds that well...
I don't think Miller's ever fought clean. 330 lbs and looks like he does don't seem natural.
Elmo Adolph was a legend as a referee in the amateurs and pros. He did a lot of the USA Tuesday night fights. Good memories. I never went to Louisiana and did not have a hell of a good time. I did have an Aunt and Uncle that lived in Dry Prong, Louisiana but sadly they both have passed away.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I don't think Miller's ever fought clean. 330 lbs and looks like he does don't seem natural.
Elmo Adolph was a legend as a referee in the amateurs and pros. He did a lot of the USA Tuesday night fights. Good memories. I never went to Louisiana and did not have a hell of a good time. I did have an Aunt and Uncle that lived in Dry Prong, Louisiana but sadly they both have passed away.
Well Browne bathed himself in glory but in the end age probably won this for Miller as much as anything as the two fighters went to war from the 2nd round to the violent conclusion in the 6th round.

In the 4th round Miller cranked up the gears to finish Browne but the bell saved Browne and Miller who looked much heftier than the weigh in was gassed in the 5th and Browne had a window for victory but didn't land a Fa type power shot against Miller by the end of the 5th round Miller was in control again and the writing was on the wall for Browne. Browne was felled in the 6th round and retreated to the ropes and was rescued by the referee as his corner also threw in the towel to save the battered Browne.

I too can't see Miller being clean as his hormones would be similar to an old sedentary man with the amount of drugs he was taking and as we discussed before there has never been a heavyweight this large with any gas tank to speak of.

PS I forgot to mention Jono Carroll won a wide decision over veteran Miguel Marriaga and inched closer to a 2nd title shot he looked dominant until the late rounds when the Afro Latino veteran seemed to rally too little too late.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
ESPN+ has fight cards Thursday and Friday.

With those cards and the Saturday fights the weekend is packed. As other posters have linked the Fury vs Usyk bout is possibly circling the drain as "minor" points seem to be stalling the signing and more importantly insiders have stated Usyk has halted his training. Even if the fight is signed I can't see there being time to promote the fight to it's highest potential in critical foreign markets like the United States where this fight will be a PPV.

I could see casuals forgetting the start time of the PPV or forgetting the date without proper US buildup. In England the bout is an instant sellout but similar to the US the PPV market won't be as robust without proper promoting. https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_...dr-usyk-tyson-fury-fight-jeopardy-talks-stall

white is right

Hall of Famer
Boxing schedule for the weekend. A full day of fights. The one I am most interested in is Plant vs Benavidez. It is an eliminator fight for the super middleweight championship.

Plant vs the mysterious Benavidez is probably the best fight this weekend but it has no business as a PPV and the buy rate will reflect that. People have ducked Benavidez and he has been his own worst enemy with failing a test for cocaine and PED's and he really isn't a draw so then fighter x will get ducked.

Plant is positioned to get a rematch with Alvarez if he wins his bout with Benavidez but is a 5 to 2 betting dog with the bookmakers. I wonder if these two ever sparred together since they are both under the PBC umbrella that could shed light on the betting odds.

Last night Irish surnamed Franco Canadian Simon Kean hopefully showed faded former fringe contender Eric Molina the retirement door with a methodical beating and the inevitable knockout in the 7th round. Keane is probably ready for a live fringe contender and see where he is at, beating on a Molina type is just treading water for him.

PS Fury vs Usyk appears to be really dead in the water as a bunch of factors have poisoned the well for the mega fight. Saudi money is one factor as Frank Warren stated that Wilder who dressed in Arab garb while glad handing every Saudi royal it seemed was at the Fury vs Paul fight to negotiate a promotional deal and his summit fight could be against Usyk with the winner(especially if it's Wilder) having more negotiating power with Fury for a 200M+ show down in Saudi Arabia.

It seems like "losing" the money that you never had embittered team Usyk and then the bad split from team Fury was the last straw. The recent market correction in housing prices in various expensive markets has been the same thing for various homeowners won't give up the ghost on the peak market price and nobody shows up for their open houses because of it.

freedom1

Mentor
Good. I'm glad it's not happening. I hope Usyk schools Wilder and Fury KOs Joshua. Oh, and I am hoping that big Chinese guy KOs Joyce.