Miscellaneous Boxing News

white is right

Hall of Famer
A big fight this weekend in London as Anthoney Yarde takes on Artur Beterbiev for the WBC light heavyweight championship.
Yes Beterbiev vs Yarde should be a barnburner while it lasts. I think the two fighters have near perfect ko records. The Chechen has clearly done this at a higher level against championship caliber opponents while Yarde has done this against British and European level fighters.

Artem Dalakian defends his WBA flyweight belt against unsung Costa Rican David Jimenez. One thing about flyweights and divisions around this division is that even unknown fighters can give entertaining fights and blowouts are rare. A unification fight with Edwards should be easily arranged if both camps can agree on purse splits if Dalakian can defend his title on Saturday.

Saturday night Bektemir Melikuziev is back on the comeback trail and was probably last seen on DAZN losing by highlight reel ko to Philly junkyard dog Gabriel Rosado. He has won 3 straight bouts but they have been low profile bouts since the shock loss. He can't afford anymore banana peel losses if he wants to fight at the world level in his next few fights.

Updating the fights Dalakian was able to fend off the feisty Costa Rican with superior infighting skills it seemed that the fight was in the balance with about 3 rounds to go and he swept the championship rounds. According to posters on lame stream sites Andre Ward was once again screaming robbery but nobody bought what he is selling.

Strangely enough the Dalakian fight was the second bout the card and prospect fights will follow with two "Slovakian" brothers who are half African the Itaumu brothers. The younger sibling has a somewhat interesting marketing angle about wanting to break Mike Tyson's record for the youngest heavyweight champion. This won't happen as he has never fought men and when Mike Tyson beat Berbick the heavyweight division was among the weakest points in history with champions losing the belts without a successful defense. The division now isn't splintered and will have a dominant champion emerge from the Fury vs Usyk clash. It's the classic getting the cart before the horse with these interviews.

The first upset of the night and the older brother of the multi-flagged Itaumu brothers was stopped by his Argentine professional trial horse. We shall see if this affects the heavyweight prospect younger sibling who has dreams of boxiing history.

Last edited:

booth

Mentor
Beterbiev stops Yarde in the 8th round in a very good fight. A lot of back-and-forth action. Beterbiev goes to 19-0 with 19 ko's

white is right

Hall of Famer
Beterbiev stops Yarde in the 8th round in a very good fight. A lot of back-and-forth action. Beterbiev goes to 19-0 with 19 ko's
Yes it was a classic barn burner with the naturalized Canadian having to dig deep to tko the valiant challenger. It was a good thing he had the breakthrough he did as he was "trailing" heading into the 8th round in two of the three score cards and we could have had a controversial decision or a bizzare draw or head scratching close score card. Yarde won rounds but was in no way in front up until the stoppage.

I missed this one but Bek the "Bully" kept up his winning ways off of the Rosado shock loss. He stopped his over matched Mexican opponent in the 3rd round. I assumed he would have been featured in a late bout on this card but was an early bout. Maybe his opposition had something to do with where he fought on the card.

PS we missed this one as Swedish bogeyman Otto Wallin had a gym workout disguised as a live bout with a journeyman heavyweight named Helaman Olguin and swept the 8 rounds on two cards and took a round off another card to win a decisive decision on Thursday night.

Wallin's team have been campaigning for a big money bout against any of the big 4 heavyweights or even the tier below that and in the 3 and half years since the Fury lineal title shot he has only fought fading former fringe contenders and journeymen like this opponent. It seems he's viewed as too tough for the purse he will generate. Franklin who is in his promotional stable it seems has the inside track to fight Joshua in a comeback fight in April. At one time Wallin and even unproven prospect Demsey McKean were being considered but both were viewed as too tough for Joshua's first fight since his two straight title fight losses against Usyk. Wallin will have to secure a mandatory spot or win an eliminator to get a fight against who emerges from the dust of any of the big 4 clashes this year.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
A Thursday night fight card on ESPN starts the boxing schedule this weekend.
Yes a fairly busy weekend with the card in Montreal starting up the weekend fights. Headlining the card tonight is Armenian national Erik Bazinyan vs a club fighter named Atlantez Fox. This should be a showcase win but as we saw last week with the older Mulatto British brothers prospects on on the Beterbiev card fights are fought in the ring not on a bookmaker's tote board.

On Friday night Liam Wilson fights hard as nails full blooded Indian Emanuel “Vaquero” Navarrete for the vacant WBO 130 pound strap that Stevenson has vacated. Wilson will have to be on his A game to beat Navarette who has been a machine at 122 and 126 but eventually he will hit his limit unless he develops a foxiness to his game. Wilson is a 20 to 1 betting dog but maybe live as Naverette looked smooth at the weigh in which is sign that he has hit his limit in terms of optimum strength for the new weight division.

White Mexican American heavyweight prospect Richard Torrez fights on the undercard it will be interesting to see what type of opponent they have lined up for the undefeated prospect as last time he fought a fairly wily opponent for a novice pro and he blew his Arab American opponent out of the water with his raw power.

Last edited:

TwentyTwo

Master
6'-2 225 Richard Torrez with the 1st Round KO! 23 year old Silver Medalist is now 5 - 0 ...5 KO's! Vicious upper cut sent the dude back!

Liam Wilson nearly shocked the world ...knocked down Champ Navarette in the 4th round . He was wobbly during 8=count...but he spit out his damn mouthpiece and the stupid ref actually gave him 10 extra seconds to recover. Wilson had him in trouble again in 6th but couldnt capitalize! Credit Navarrette kept coming and punished Wilson ...knocking him down in 9th . Got back up ; but TKO in 9th ref stopping the fight bloody nosed Wilson was not answering back.

white is right

Hall of Famer
6'-2 225 Richard Torrez with the 1st Round KO! 23 year old Silver Medalist is now 5 - 0 ...5 KO's! Vicious upper cut sent the dude back!

Liam Wilson nearly shocked the world ...knocked down Champ Navarette in the 4th round . He was wobbly during 8=count...but he spit out his damn mouthpiece and the stupid ref actually gave him 10 extra seconds to recover. Wilson had him in trouble again in 6th but couldnt capitalize! Credit Navarrette kept coming and punished Wilson ...knocking him down in 9th . Got back up ; but TKO in 9th ref stopping the fight bloody nosed Wilson was not answering back.
Yes Torrez wiped out the former every league under the sun pro football scrub. It's very hard to match a novice prospect as you want him to look good but learn at the same time. You match him too soft and he will look spectacular but he won't be learning and when he moves up to live bodies he will be found wanting much of the time.

Wilson might have been robbed of the ko win when the referee didn't stop the clock when the tough Mexican spat out his mouth piece he was literally a punch or two away from the tko win. Hopefully he doesn't fade into obscurity or languish on the Australian circuit.

Last edited:

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
That corrupt referee was doing all he could to help the Top Rank fighter. I imagine he wants to get more work on Bob Arum's fight cards in the future.

white is right

Hall of Famer
A full day of boxing Saturday, but I don't much about any of these fighters.
Viktor Faust fights tomorrow night against Lenier Pero who is a former Cuban amateur boxer with a deep amateur background. This bout is the opening bout of a Showtime card.

The last time I saw Faust on North American tv he was struggling with limited but decent club fighter Iago Kiladze , this should be a sterner test as the fight is a near pick'em.

PS Wilson is protesting the long count against Navarette. I have never seen any of these protests go anywhere unless the referee or judge was caught with a bag of money or a taped conversation was found. The best case scenario for him would be for the WBO force a mandatory rematch or Navarette would be stripped for ducking the rematch. https://fightnews.com/wilson-wants-result-changed-to-no-contest/143772

PS2 Updating the Faust bout, he seemed to be in cruise control well into the 8th round and had stunned his Afro-Cuban opponent at least twice in the bout when out of the blue Pero landed a punch to the ribs of Faust and Faust turned his back and surrendered to the referee. It seemed like he quit but he survived a fire fight with Kiladze in his last US television appearance, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt with his first ko loss.

Updating the injury he reportedly felt pain in his rib area from the 6th round on, unlike in Rockyhttps://fightnews.com/faust-the-pain-was-unbearable/14401 he couldn't go the distance when the Cuban unleashed a hook on the damaged rib cage.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Boxing schedule for the weekend starting Friday. I believe Woods vs Lara, as Charles Martel listed is the headliner this weekend.
Wood has a tough assignment in Lara as Lara upset Warmington in a shock ko. One thing about Mexican opponents in the lower weight classes there are decent fighters that have had zero media exposure by the boxing press. It's similar to Eastern European heavier weight fighters.

PS I missed this as Armenian national Azat Hovhannisyan has a WBC eliminator against house fighter Luis Nery who is a two time world champion. This is tough assigment but as we saw two weeks ago a naturally larger man with a decent ko percentage is dangerous throughout the fight.

Also many White prospects are fighting on both cards including a debuting heavyweight prospect Andrii Novytskyi

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bad break for Wood.

He was caught in a fight that he was dominating. There is some debate on whether the gritty Mexican would have stopped Wood in that round as there was only 10 seconds to go in the round and Lara had badly strayed out of the neutral corner but Wood was close to done as he was swaying like a tree in a hurricane and any power punch or combination would have ko'd him for a 1000 count let alone a 10 count.

Azat Hovhannisyan was stopped in a classic brawl after getting dropped in the 10th round and possibly saved by the bell. At times he had his Mexican opponent on the verge of getting stopped himself. This fight is a candidate for fight of the year the action was that good with solid two action.

I missed the under card fights but I might give prospect reports on both cards if I view the fights.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Boxing schedule for this weekend. This is not the best weekend of boxing, but it will have a big card Sunday featuring Paul vs Tommy Fury. This is the main event but the undercard has the best fights.
It's a slow weekend for White fighters less the celebrity boxing main event. Yes a WBC world cruiserweight fight between one time proposed Alvarez lottery ticket opponent Makabu and Swedish Mulatto Badou Jack is the chief supporting bout of the Paul vs Fury clown show.

Showtime has a show too, if there are White prospects on the show I will mention the results if I can catch the fights on Youtube as far as I know no White fighters are on the televised card.

PS you mentioned the Ukrainian heavyweight prospect last week he is on the surface an intriguing prospect as he has the size and fitness to make noise in the division. As is the case with most prospects at some point he will have to survive a chin check and heart test. We will learn nothing with his first few professional loser opponents.

Updating the Showtime card the B side of the semi final is an Argentine of Italian descent also on the Youtube portion of the card another fighter from the Stans fights but he seems to be a Eurasian rather than White boxer. I missed this but the B side of the main event is another Argentine fighter with a Spanish surname. I initially thought he was the Mexican full blooded Indian with the same surname who was a former featherweight a good decade or so ago.

Updating last nights fights Kudratillo Abdukakhorov was out worked by a journeyman opponent and lost his second straight decision I watched the fight casually and the score cards seemed wide but it appeared the right man was awarded the decision. Just a year ago he was mandatory for a title shot against Taylor now the Eurasian is probably looking to rebuild he may retreat back to the Russian/Eurasian circuit and could disappear from the boxing radar.

Alberto Palmetta was outworked by the long Mulatto Jamal James but the fight was there to be won if the Argentine fought with more vigor as James was walking on egg shells late in the bout but Palmetta never stepped on the gas to go for the stoppage.

In the main event Jeremias Ponce was stopped in a firefight that was a 50/50 fight until he was dropped late in the 5th round and his corner signaled a surrender to the referee with the infamous "No mas" line. The Argentine fought at a fast pace from the first round but seemed to tire out before the stoppage. The pace might have been too fast for him as he was throwing close to a 100 punches a round until the stoppage.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
The Fury vs Paul Fight is just starting now. I think Fury wins easy.
Fury won this fight by a split decision. I saw a close fight that could have been a draw and on another tangent the referee allowed a clear violent punch to the back of Paul's head and then deducted two ticky tacky fouls against both boxers. If the boxers are going to get paid elite boxer purses we needed an elite referee for their fights.

PS on a side note ancient Badou Jack sliced and diced the limited Makabu and won the WBC cruiserweight title and we learned why team Alvarez wanted to fight him.

I think the theme of the night should have been this song....

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
A few interesting matchups coming up this weekend:

Murat Gassiev vs Mike Balogun (WBA Intercontinental Heavyweight Title)

Agron Smakici vs Agit Kabayel (European Heavyweight Title)

Lewis Ritson vs Ohara Davies

Jack McGann vs Lazlo Toth

Gassiev fights in Armenia tomorrow afternoon??? He weighed in at 238 and change and Balogun was 239 and change. Balogun while a former NFL washout isn't the typical musclebound celebrity boxer type he is the boxer who stopped Trey Lippe-Morrison about a year ago so he is dangerous but Gassiev is a former world champion so he won't be at a skill disadvantage the question is is the weight a good weight for a former cruiserweight.

Note I read the broadcast from Armenia starts at 10am EST so I assume the main event should be a few hours later but I could be wrong, why it's in Armenia is another question as Gassiev is based out of California these days and Balogun is American.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Gassiev fights in Armenia tomorrow afternoon??? He weighed in at 238 and change and Balogun was 239 and change. Balogun while a former NFL washout isn't the typical musclebound celebrity boxer type he is the boxer who stopped Trey Lippe-Morrison about a year ago so he is dangerous but Gassiev is a former world champion so he won't be at a skill disadvantage the question is is the weight a good weight for a former cruiserweight.

Note I read the broadcast from Armenia starts at 10am EST so I assume the main event should be a few hours later but I could be wrong, why it's in Armenia is another question as Gassiev is based out of California these days and Balogun is American.
It might have something to do with Armenians and Ossetians having similar language and culture. They are linked by religion (Orthodox Christians) and both had to defend against Muslims going back 1500 years. Ossetia probably receives Armenian TV broadcasts.

Here's a free and legal stream for today's Armenia event:

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
It might have something to do with Armenians and Ossetians having similar language and culture. They are linked by religion (Orthodox Christians) and both had to defend against Muslims going back 1500 years. Ossetia probably receives Armenian TV broadcasts.

Here's a free and legal stream for today's Armenia event:

It was welcome to big time boxing for Balogun as he seemed to shade the first with amateur style boxing but Gassiev nailed his chin with a vicious counter right in the second round and the American couldn't beat the fairly long count as the referee seemed to delay the 10 count by half a second or so.

PS I didn't realize the fight was for a minor WBA belt as far as I know no title fights are allowed in Russia so this location was a logical site if he couldn't book a PBC date in the US.

He also may have been released by the PBC as the promotional umbrella has been bleeding money for years and now have released Wilder and Ruiz as they could no longer honor their guarantees to both fighters. At the Fury vs Paul clown show Wilder was seen glad handing various Saudi dignitaries including the obese prince who bankrolled the card. It's rumored he is to fight out of Saudi Arabia with the company that ran this show.