Kelly Pavlik

Blue Devils

Mentor
Kelly's cut man Miguel Diaz wasn't in the corner for some reason. He's been in Kelly's corner since his pro debut. Anybody know why he wasn't there Saturday?

Westside

Hall of Famer
After watching the replay with sound, Leow was telling Kelly to stop head hunting a go to the body. Kelly didn't or could not follow direction. Also towards the end, Kelly mumbled something maybe saying that he could not see and was looking for a way to stop the fight. Leow told him he didn't want to hear it.

Obviously Kelly has some soul searching to do. But a team shake up with a great trainer will serve him well. Take the rematch by end of summer.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Pavlik has never been the same fighter since the Hopkins fight. All it took was one shorter and faster fighter to expose him. Hopefully he can pull himself together and get back on track.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Kelly has made the decision to move on from the 160 pound class. He will now either fight at 168 or 175 which will be a more natural weight for him to fight at. The article states that he walks around at 178 and making the cut to 160 is just unnatural. Best of luck to Kelly!
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=5180805

Blue Devils

Mentor
Pavlik will return on the Pacquiao-Margartio undercard in November. His opponent will be Haitian Daniel Edouard 23-3-2(14).

The Hock

Master
If Kelly keeps his focus (or regains is maybe) he can still be a factor. In his fight with Martinez he had pulled about even and was starting to put some hurt on Sergio till Kelly got cut and couldn't see properly. I'm still a fan and hoping for some more quality wins from him.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I still think a change in trainer is in order. To show Kelly some new things. I think he has hit his peak with Leow, and needs a trainer of Roach, Steward or Bloodworth.

Guru
<h1>Pavlik to fight Vera on Nov. 13</h1>

<div ="publication_date">Published: Thu, September 23, 2010 @ 2:41 p.m.</div>

YOUNGSTOWN

Brian Vera will replace Daniel Edouard as Kelly Pavlik's opponent for
his Nov. 13 bout at Dallas Cowboys Stadium, according to ESPN.com.

The fight will be at 164 pounds.

Vera (17-5, 11 KOs), a native of Austin, Texas, has lost four of his
last five fights. Edouard was dropped after concerns were raised about a
blood pressure problem.

Pavlik (36-2, 32 KOs) has not fought since losing his middleweight titles to Sergio Martinez in April.http://www.vindy.com/news/2010/sep/23/pavlik-fight-vera-nov-13/

I would have preferred to see him fight Lorenzo. I think it would have given us a better idea of where Kelly is at in his career.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Kelly Pavlik pulls out of Nov. 13 fight

LAS VEGAS (AP)â€"Former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik withdrew Monday from his bout on the undercard of Manny Pacquiao's meeting with Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13, citing a rib injury.

Top Rank president Todd DuBoef confirmed Pavlik's latest withdrawal from a high-profile showcase. The promoters plan to move lightweight contender Brandon Rios onto the card at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Pavlik (36-2, 32 KOs) was scheduled to meet Brian Vera in the top undercard bout of the HBO pay-per-view show featuring Pacquiao's attempt to win a title in his eighth weight class against Margarito, the former welterweight champion.

The cancellation is another setback for Pavlik, who lost his WBC and WBO 160-pound titles to Argentina's Sergio Martinez in April. The unanimous decision was his second defeat in four fights, following a one-sided loss to Bernard Hopkins in 2008 and two wins over fringe contenders.

The Youngstown, Ohio, native postponed two title defenses against Paul Williams last year with a staph infection in his hand. Beyond his health problems, Pavlik also has angrily denied widespread rumors he has been waylaid by family squabbles and excessive drinking.

Rios (25-0-1, 18 KOs) was slated to fight on the undercard of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.'s next fight in Anaheim, Calif., on Dec. 4. The Texas-born fighter beat undefeated contender Anthony Peterson by disqualification for repeated low blows in his last fight in September.

Rios trains with Robert Garcia, who also trains Margarito, in Oxnard, Calif.

Top Rank hasn't yet selected an opponent for Rios.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Well sadly its official and the rumors are truel. Kelly is in rehab at the Betty Ford Clinic. He checked himself into the place 11/4. I hope Kelly can beat the booze bug. According to the article in Yahoo.com, Kelly loves beer to the point of self destructive behavior. I hope he can overcome this.

The Hock

Master
It starts out with a little bit of beer and a whole lot of fun, and ends with a whole lot of beer and no fun. At least that's the way it went for me. Even at that quitting ain't easy.

I'm rooting for Kelly.

Westside

Hall of Famer
The Hock, words of a scholar. I have had my temptation with beer. I can see someone getting caught up in it. A great beer buzz was/is very euphoric. But then one just keep chasing it. Before one knows it, 12 to 18 beers could be consumed in five hours time and the next day is shot.

Lawrence Taylor was legendary for knocking back cases(18) beers in one sitting daily. Yes, Kelly may have to struggle, but he is still young, and has to realize he may an addictive personality. He can rebound, if he totally abstains from it. He needs to look at the great Texas outfielder who recovered his life, family and career for inspiration.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Boxing has a history of legendary "drunks". Harry Greb and John L. Sullivan come to mind from the past and Mike Tyson comes to mind from recent times. Also if Loewe is right about Kelly having to take 2 weeks to get into the shape he was when he hit camp before the bad drinking this could explain why he has looked flat in his recent high profile bouts. By the way how do you not knock back 6 beers plus of US beer? Every time I have drunk US beer it seemed like light beer compared to Canadian beer?
smiley2.gif
Edited by: white is right

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
We all had our suspicions about Kelly. I think he's had this problem for quite some time now. I have no doubt in my mind that he would have beat Hopkins had he been the same Kelly who fought Jermaine Taylor. Sadly, he's a shell of his former self.

Westside

Hall of Famer
ESPN great scribe Dan Rafael reports that Kelly is leaving the Betty Ford rehab center. I hope Kelly realizes that he can capture his greatness while still young and to avoid the bottle at all costs at least while fighting at a high level. He has to realize there can be no exception to any amount of booze.

There are great fights and huge money to be made. He has to stay away from drinkers and pray to God for strength. Focus his energies on his family and career and forget the nice beer buzz that alot of DWFs like most of the day.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
It's such a shame what has happened to Kelly. He was the rare white American champion in boxing that we needed and it seems as if alcoholism has taken it's toll on him. I wish him the best but he certainly has a tough road ahead of him. Alcoholism is a disease and it's incredibly difficult to stop drinking unless you are totally committed. Maybe he can get back into top form and become champion again.

Guru
Card canceled after Pavlik withdraws from bout:

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/6827430/kelly-pavlik-withdraws-bout-vs-darryl-cunningham

The Bute fight looks like it won't happen either at this time:

"Apparently, Pavlik was upset over the offer he had received from Top Rank to fight Bute, telling Youngstown television station WFMJ-TV that "the fight is off and the Bute fight is not going to happen. I'm not going to fight a southpaw for peanuts." Pavlik was scheduled to be paid $50,000 to fight Cunningham.

He also told the station that his reason for pulling out of the fight was a "business decision."

Top Rank was working on a deal with Bute's promoter, InterBox, that would have given the Top Rank/Pavlik side 40 percent of the revenue from the fight. Top Rank had offered Pavlik a minimum purse of $1.35 million (plus an additional $25,000 for training expenses), which could have increased depending on how much money the fight generated.

A source close to Pavlik said that Pavlik was unhappy with the offer because InterBox originally had tried to sign former titlist Mikkel Kessler to fight Bute in November with a substantially bigger offer, which Kessler's team rejected."

Withdrawing from Saturday's fight is very unprofessional and unfair on the fans who bought tickets, the other boxers on the card and the television network. Kelly's not doing himself any favours.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I agree. Kelly should have never signed that contract in the first place, if he was not happy with the 50K, which I will confess is low considering his drawing power and record. Maybe those beer binges impaired his judgement. Regardless, he has advisors who know better. To leave all of those fans hanging is a bad move. He signed the contract , then fight and win. The fight against Bute will be huge. Negoiate a bigger part of the pie before signing your name to that fight.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
This was not a wise decision by Kelly Pavlik - he obviously has gone seriously downhill during the past couple of years.

In his last matchup, he didn't fight with the same aggressiveness as he used to.

He's not even talking to his father anymore, and he was recently in a violent fight with his brother.

Alcoholism has ruined the lives of a lot of people.

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
If memory serves, I believe Kelly got 600,000 for one of his Taylor fights, so I don't blame him for turning his nose up at 50,000. I was still looking forward to the Saturday fight.

It's starting to look like he's done.