Floyd Mayweather vs. Ricky Hatton

Hockaday

Guru
nevada said:
There are literally more than 100 boxers who would have no trouble knocking out Floyd.

Hopefully now that Hatton has lost you guys can stop caring so much about midget boxing.

Brilliant, Nevada. Did you fall off your burro and hit your head again?

Edited by: Hockaday

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Man y'all jus lak sum of dem high-tech white wizzs cuz y'all no how to play em good! Man dem dum castieboyz done neva gonna stop you yo! Man did y'all see dat punch? Y dat dum white boy neva saw it comin!! Man y'all if we ownly had mo of dem fiters lak Maywedder man wed domeanate luk we use 2. I jus scared sum of dem dam white boyz at middow done cum down in put da beat down on my weltas. Know wut i'm sayin?

G

johnnyboy said:
he flat out is better than hatton or any other boxer in the world right now.

He's so good that he would lose to literally over 100 boxers. The problem with weight classes is, of course, that people start to think that small boxers are invincible.

G

Maple Leaf said:
Man y'all jus lak sum of dem high-tech white wizzs cuz y'all no how to play em good! Man dem dum castieboyz done neva gonna stop you yo! Man did y'all see dat punch? Y dat dum white boy neva saw it comin!! Man y'all if we ownly had mo of dem fiters lak Maywedder man wed domeanate luk we use 2. I jus scared sum of dem dam white boyz at middow done cum down in put da beat down on my weltas. Know wut i'm sayin?
learn to spell buddy.

G

Hockaday said:

You guys are upset about a midget losing a boxing match. A guy who can't even gain 5 pounds without putting himself in danger of losing.

You guys are so upset about a midget that you don't even know that Semmy Schilt just won the K-1 Grand Prix for the 3rd time in a row tonight in Japan in front of 20,000.

Semmy, a 6-11, 290 pound monster, the most dominant kickboxer in the sport today, would easily knock out Floyd Mayweather in 1 round under boxing or kickboxing rules. He may have only earned half a million bucks for winning the K-1 this year, but I'm sure he'll be happy to sign a fight with Floyd right now. Floyd can take 90% of the purse. He'll need it after he gets his face broken.Edited by: nevada

G

nevada said:
Hockaday said:

You guys are upset about a midget losing a boxing match. A guy who can't even gain 5 pounds without putting himself in danger of losing.

You guys are so upset about a midget that you don't even know that Semmy Schilt just won the K-1 Grand Prix for the 3rd time in a row tonight in Japan in front of 20,000.

Semmy, a 6-11, 290 pound monster, the most dominant kickboxer in the sport today, would easily knock out Floyd Mayweather in 1 round under boxing or kickboxing rules. He may have only earned half a million bucks for winning the K-1 this year, but I'm sure he'll be happy to sign a fight with Floyd right now. Floyd can take 90% of the purse. He'll need it after he gets his face broken.
Schilt is great though personally if have always considered prime Hoost and Aerts to be better fighters.

G

Barrows said:
Schilt is great though personally if have always considered prime Hoost and Aerts to be better fighters.

Yes, I think a couple kickboxers in their prime were better than Schilt. Hoost, Aerts, Lebanner probably too. Lebanner could never get past Hoost but that would still put him at number 2.

Coincidentally, Schilt TKO'ed Aerts in the final tonight.

Schilt was never as good in MMA, too tall. But he liked it and teaches both kickboxing and MMA in the Netherlands.

Iron

Guru
Floyd was better on the inside than people expected,most experts and myself included believed that was Hatton's territory but if anything Floyd got the better of the inside.Mayweather's very clever aswell with his inside work fouling and holding on the ref's blindside.Kudo's to Mayweather,he's proved tonight he belongs with the greats.on the positive side,16 of the 20 belts from middle to heavy are still in the hands of white fighters,a domination that will be sustained,entrenched and reinforced in the years to come.

moose

Guru
hatton is a good fighter, but nothing special. Freaky floyd is one of the best, it doesnt bother me that ricky lost, but I wish he would have won.

Kaptain

Master
I reject the notion that Mayweather is the undisputed "pound for pound" best. He has had a couple of fights were the decision could have gone against him. Calzaghe and Pavlik are undefeated and have had no close fights. Vladimir Klitchsko has dominated the HW division like no other. How bout we end this silly "pound for pound" talk? Hatton was not our best fighter - that has been evident in his last few fights.

G

Kaptain Poop said:
I reject the notion that Mayweather is the undisputed "pound for pound" best. He has had a couple of fights were the decision could have gone against him. Calzaghe and Pavlik are undefeated and have had no close fights. Vladimir Klitchsko has dominated the HW division like no other. How bout we end this silly "pound for pound" talk? Hatton was not our best fighter - that has been evident in his last few fights.
But if Hatton had won you would have proclaimed him as the P4P best right ?.

And yes Floyd is P4P better then Calzaghe of Pavlik will ever be.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well well, an real old timer troll uncovers himself. Godking, I wouldn't be surprised that you would have 3 other IDs here, but I must ask, what good is an ID if you never use it? If you never reveal yourself, its as if you are not even here.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Keep the Hatton loss in perspective. Whites hold almost all the belts from middleweight to heavyweight. Our dominance is spreading to the lighter weights as well.

We win most of them but not all of them. Calzaghe-Hopkins (if Hopkins dares to sign the contract) will be fun as BHop will be destroyed. Pavlik will spank Taylor again in February. Klitscko will unify the heavyweight titles soon and Povetkin fights Chambers next month.

And don't forget what Abraham and Duddy did to their black opponents last night.

2008 will be the year we take all the belts from 160 to heavy. And Hatton will go back to 140 where he belongs and be unbeatable.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Barrows said:
Kaptain Poop said:
But if Hatton had won you would have proclaimed him as the P4P best right ?.

And yes Floyd is P4P better then Calzaghe of Pavlik will ever be.

Funny you trolls never come around here when your "boys" get their asses kicked. Which happens allmost all of the time. Big deal you got one winner at 147, it's pathetic how you cling to one guy when the rest of the classes are dominated by white guys.

bigunreal

Mentor
First, let me say that I stopped following boxing back in the 1980s after watching gigantic Gerry Cooney stand there passive and allowing the much, much smaller Michael Spinks to pummel him about 500 times without even attempting to respond. I didn't need that nonsense any more. I just don't know why you all put yourself through this; did you really expect a white fighter to beat ANY celebrated black fighter in Don King's America?

Boxing has always been "fixed," in one way or another. Even the mainstream media, in countless movies and books, has conceded this over the decades. The only reason that all the white fighters are being allowed to succeed in other divisions, particularly the heavyweights, is that many of them are Russian and there is no real celebrated black fighter left out there. Mayweather was the closest remaining thing to a Muhammed Ali-Sugar Ray Leonard type of "indestructible" loudmouth that is fawned over by the jock-sniffing media.

Any sporting event featuring a white vs. a black in competition, if it receives any publicity at all, will result in the black winning. Period. That has been a constant now for decades. I really can't believe that intelligent people sit and watch this lunacy in the belief that the white man will defeat the black man. It's just not going to happen. They appear to have a dearth of young black boxers out there, in the mold of Ali-Leonard, that they can over hype and promote as "great." If and when they find a black heavyweight that fits the bill, you can bet that whatever Russian is the current champ at that point will be defeated, even if he is 6'10 and the new black favorite is 5'10.

I'm really glad I gave up on boxing a few decades ago. There's enough out there to infuriate us without forcing ourselves to watch obviously orchestrated contests.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
"I really can't believe that intelligent people sit and watch this lunacy in the belief that the white man will defeat the black man. It's just not going to happen."

Then why did Pavlik KO Taylor? You are right in that whites often get screwed on decisions, but most of the white champs win their belts through KOing blacks.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
Any sporting event featuring a white vs. a black in competition, if it receives any publicity at all, will result in the black winning.

bigunreal said:
The only reason that all the white fighters are being allowed to succeed in other divisions, particularly the heavyweights, is that many of them are Russian and there is no real celebrated black fighter left out there.

You need to start watching boxing again. The MSM is in tears over the fact that Eastern Europeans dominate heavyweight boxing. They hype guys like Shannon Briggs and Calvin Brock because that's all they have.

Do you think Maskaev was rigged to have him KO Rahman through the ropes?

Do you think Klitschko's destruction of Chris Byrd and Calvin Brock were engineered by the powers that be?

Do you think Kelly Pavlik was supposed to beat Jermaine Taylor?

You have a great screen name, bigunreal. I get the feeling that you don't think anything isn't orchestrated from behind the scenes.

bigunreal

Mentor
I'm just giving you the perspective of someone who hasn't watched boxing in a long time. My point is that I have never heard of those black boxers who lost to the other white fighters, but I have heard of Mayweather. I think there have been very few celebrated black fighters, the kind who can mimic the loud, bragging antics of Ali- Leonard, in recent years, and this has resulted in the media simply ignoring most of the fights, while lamenting how there are "no great boxers" (i.e., no great black boxers) out there.

I should have clarified myself; a white man has not been allowed to beat a black man in any fight that was heavily promoted, and featured a well-known, over hyped black fighter, at least since Clay-Ali became THE most hyped afflete of all time.

Yes, Shogun, I do tend to believe that virtually everything is orchestrated from behind the scenes. In the sports world, this is almost always because of social reasons; blacks must be promoted over and beat whites as often as possible. This has been the primary message conveyed through the mass media for the past 35 years.

Don't get me wrong; I'm rooting for white fighters to beat black fighters just as hard as any of you. I just don't want to subject myself to any more Gerry Cooneys and Tex Cobbs- I don't consider that entertainment.

The fight was tough to watch. I was hoping for Joe Cortez to let Hatton do his work on the inside but it didn't work like that, unfortunately. As much as I hate that a$$hole Mayweather, he FINALLY decided to box with some heart and fought a great fight, no matter what I say. As everyone knows I have no problem with giving a black credit even when he's an a$$ but I told myself that I would not spend one dime to support Mayweather. So in that I am glad I did not buy the PPV. I will just give Maywether credit and that's it. I still don't like him. I don't think Cortez caused Hatton to lose but he certainly didn't help Hatton to win. They say that De La Hoya-Hatton could be up next. But I would like Hatton to get a tune up fight before that. Damn this is tough to swallow
smiley18.gif

Poacher

Mentor
Ricky fought a brave fight. He pressed the pace just like he said he would. Floyd ran for the first five rounds. I haven't lost any respect for Hatton at all over this.

G

Maple Leaf said:
Man y'all jus lak sum of dem high-tech white wizzs
cuz y'all no how to play em good! Man dem dum castieboyz done neva
gonna stop you yo! Man did y'all see dat punch? Y dat dum white boy
neva saw it comin!! Man y'all if we ownly had mo of dem fiters lak
Maywedder man wed domeanate luk we use 2. I jus scared sum of dem
dam white boyz at middow done cum down in put da beat down on my
weltas. Know wut i'm sayin?

OK, now I'm scared.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Poacher said:
Ricky fought a brave fight. He pressed the pace just like he said he would. Floyd ran for the first five rounds. I haven't lost any respect for Hatton at all over this.

Good post. We shoud support our white brothers in defeat as well as victory.

We should keep in mind Hatton was fighting a bigger man, and I thought he did very well in the early rounds considering the referee never let up on him. Every time he would try to fight on the inside, the ref would be on him immediately. Hatton has only 20'' arms and Mayweather has 26'' arms, so it was impossible to fight on the outside. Up until Hatton was unfairly deducted the point, he was imposing his will on the bigger man.

Still, Hatton does have some weaknesses and physical limitations.
smiley18.gif
He should never have agreed to fight Mayweather in Vegas at welterweight. He should have insisted the fight take place in Britain at super lightweight. He should have realized the deck was stacked against him, and been smart like Joe Calzaghe and made Mayweather come to him instead. Maybe he should have kept Frank Warren as his promoter, who never would have let him take foolish risks.

Anyway, white boxers have won at least 80 % of their big fights this year. Let's keep that in mind, and not be overly distressed about this one.
smiley1.gif

JD074

Master
I agree, guys. I'm just glad that this fight didn't take place a year ago- I would've been pissed. I'm disappointed, and I hate the visual of a black man KO'ing a white man (a decision would've been preferable, obviously,) but overall I'm not that distraught. It may be partly because I wasn't a huge Hatton fan to begin with. I like him, I just haven't followed his career that closely. Now, if Pavlik, Calzaghe, or Klitschko lose, well, that may be a different story! Let's not get too torn up over this stuff, especially in a sport where we're doing very well.I watch mainly boxing, some MMA, and very little of other sports, so I'm feeling pretty good about white athletes these days, even with the occasional excruciating loss.

Good post. We shoud support our white brothers in defeat as well as victory.

Great point.

He should have insisted the fight take place in Britain at super lightweight.

Mayweather wouldn't have agreed to that.

He should have realized the deck was stacked against him, and been smart like Joe Calzaghe and made Mayweather come to him instead.

Well, Calzaghe is planning on fighting Hopkins at Light-Heavyweight!
smiley4.gif

Anyway, white boxers have won at least 80 % of their big fights this year. Let's keep that in mind, and not be overly distressed about this one.
smiley1.gif

Right on!!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Edited by: JD074

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
JD074 said:
Mayweather wouldn't have agreed to that.

Then, Hatton shouldn't have agreed to fight at all! His fate was in his own hands. There were countless other boxers he could have fought, for example Torres, Malignaggi, Witter, and Rees for somewhat less money but at his own weight division of 140, where he does better. In the long run he would make MORE money without the loss on his record!
smiley9.gif

JD074 said:
Well, Calzaghe is planning on fighting Hopkins at Light-Heavyweight!

Nothing has really been agreed on yet - so the fight may or may not happen! There has been some talk this past week of Winky Wright coming over to Britain. I do think Joe should continue what he has always done, and insist the fight be in Britain!

Calzaghe as compared to Hopkins is not as proportionately small as Hatton is compared to Mayweather, and B-Hop is not as good as Floyd, so this fight being in a heavier weight division (at Light Heavyweight) will not hurt Joe's chances of winning. Size is not an issue in this one, but for Joe's sake, it definitely should be fought in Britain, where there's less of a chance of a referee doing to him what Cortez did to Hatton last night!
smiley2.gif

freedom1

Mentor
This fight was fixed in the sense that it received too much hype. Hatton is simply a smaller fighter trying to jump up into a division with larger fighters. Now, the spurious idea that blacks are superior boxers is reconfirmed.