Floyd Mayweather vs. Ricky Hatton

freedom1

Mentor
Hatton's body is too small. His earlier difficulty at this higher weight class was obvious evidence of this.

To me, this is the key issue.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Was the ref really that bad? I mean, what was he doing to help Mayweather? Clutching is supposed to be broken up before it goes on too long is it not?

Edited to add: What was the point deduction for?Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Bart

Hall of Famer
freedom1 said:
Hatton's body is too small. His earlier difficulty at this higher weight class was obvious evidence of this.

To me, this is the key issue.

Good point.

G

ToughJ.Riggins said:
Was the ref really that bad? I mean, what was he doing to help Mayweather? Clutching is supposed to be broken up before it goes on too long is it not?

Yes, this ref was really that bad. A good ref makes himself inconspicuous. Cortez not only took over the whole fight and made himself the center of attention, but he diliberately and obviously destroyed Hatton's ability to dominate M. on the inside - and just in case he wasn't obvious enough he took a point a way for no apparent reason.

You want to see a good ref? Look at Mills Lane. A good ref says, "Fight your way out of the clinches!"

wwEdited by: werewolf

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:

Edited to add: What was the point deduction for?

I don't know if the ref was 'that bad,' but he didn't warn Mayweather or deduct points for his idiotic ducking antics every time Hatton would come in. He deducted a point from Hatton for hitting behind the head, something which Mayweather had also done in the fight.

I thought there was too much clinching. Hatton doesn't clinch when he comes in, he covers and throws from inside, leaning on his opponent. Mayweather was tying him up. If anything the ref should have warned Mayweather about holding.

I can say this though: I'm glad I didn't spend $55.00 on this fight. Thanks, sopcast!

Edited by: White Shogun

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Even a crooked ref & judges couldn't save "Prettymouth" from the thrashing of a life-time if he ever did square off against Sean Sherk (as he shot his mouth off about previously). In an MMA or street fight, Sherk would dust "Prettymouth" with ease, as would ANY UFC/Pride/Bodog/IFL level fighter.

G

What a dissapointment. Hatton got careless at the end and swallowed a left hook, got knocked down, and didn't know how to hold on and got knocked down again. I have to give props when its due and Mayweather showed he wa s the better fighter, but he is still a a.. hole. Hatton should have fought him at 140 lbs. Oh well at least we have Pavlik this year.

Mayweather is smart though, he will never take on the big welterweights like Williams, Margarito or Cotto. I suspect he will retire with the millions he has made on Hatton and Oscar. He has shown his skills and beat a good fighter in Ricky Hatton and never have to have his ass beat down down by another fighter. Wow, a blk knowing how to make millions! WTF with Hatton pretending that he was dominating!

lumsdenpower

Mentor
We lost a battle guys...
Mayweather was the better boxer and fighter tonight..he is some raw talent...

white fighter who could beat Mayweather? : Paulie Malignanni and Pavlik(if Mayweather go up to 160lbs)

G

There are literally more than 100 boxers who would have no trouble knocking out Floyd.

Hopefully now that Hatton has lost you guys can stop caring so much about midget boxing.

Matra1

Mentor
Looking at some forums I noticed a lot of Americans went from supporting Hatton to supporting Mayweather when they heard the British fans booing the US anthem (which, incidentally, was sung horribly in the self-indulgent way so many blacks sing the anthem. Why do they need to prolong every line? It sounds terrible.) English fans are known to be boorish - they also booed the Croatian anthem at Wembley a few weeks ago - but, frankly, white Americans should quit treating their anthem and flag with such reverence given that they are symbols of a country that hates their guts. To me the Star Spangled Banner and the Stars & Stripes are now symbols of multiculturalism and Zionism.

BTW some of the thread titles I've read at other sites refer to Hatton as a "bitch" while another is titled "PBF would never let a white boy beat him".

The refereeing was bad but Hatton's punches usually landed on PBF's gloves, not his head. It was always going to be an uphill battle - made worse by the referee - but I think it would be difficult to argue that PBF won only because of the ref.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Mayweather won because he is the best fighter pound for pound...
let face it..
Well, the rematch between Pavlik and Taylor or the fight between B-Hop vs Calzaghe is gonna give us good wins gentleman!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
lumsdenpower said:
Mayweather won because he is the best fighter pound for pound...
let face it..
Well, the rematch between Pavlik and Taylor or the fight between B-Hop vs Calzaghe is gonna give us good wins gentleman!

Still though; I think Hatton might have had a shot at a knock out if the ref had warned PBF for holding (this would have helped Hatton to fight on the inside) and hadn't flustered Hatton by taking a point off on him for something that PBF had already got away with. Certainly the ref got inside Hatton's head. Hatton wasn't going to win on points, he would have had to get a knockout!

G

Your right Tough J. Riggins Hatton got careless and ate a sweet left hook. This is a bitter pill to swallow. PBF just knows when to turn it on at the end. There should be no bitching regarding the refs nor bitching about PBF. He is still a a.. Hole, but one who closed the show. Hatto should have conserved his energy for the last two rounds and to finish on his feet.

I hope members on this site, give credit when its due. And PBF closed the show like a champ. But I'm still pissed that he won. This further gives fuel to the dysfunctional behavior of blks and the f...ed society society who tolerates it.
smiley7.gif

G

That was a disgusting evening. I can't believe Hatton went out like that.
It's not even that he lost, Gayweather seemed to be playing with him for
the last 5 rounds. Lord, I know he's a good fighter, but it would have
been more competitive if he was in there with one of his sparring
partners. That one made me sick to my stomach.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I still haven't seen the fight but it sounds to me, judging by the result and what I've read here, that Hatton wasn't going to win anyways. With the ref. and most likely the judges behind him he should have switched to a plan Z -if he had one. Plan Z is when the fighter resorts to an all out street fight doing everything possible within the "general" rules of boxing. This is the sort of thing that a fighter should do knowing he is going to lose anyway.

He should have had his lead leg, his left leg, in between Mayweather's legs to cut off his exists and causing him to stumble. He should have been "missing" with his hands and "accidentally" connecting with his elbows. He should have been thumbing and shredding with his laces. He should have fired "borderline" low blows. When he had Mayweather is a headlock he should have "fallen" and taken Mayweather with him.

If your're going to lose you may as well as make the guy lose as well. At least the next fighter you fight is going to be remember what you are like. Foremost, if you are going to lose the boxing match you may as well not lose the fight.

This is how many of us in Canada like to play hockey. If we are going to lose on the scoreboard at least we're going to win the fights. We usually win both.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Tartan Pride said:
That was a disgusting evening. I can't believe Hatton went out like that.

Don't get carried away with the hyperbole dude. A sparring partner?? C'mon, man.

G

White Shogun said:
Tartan Pride said:
That was a disgusting
evening. I can't believe Hatton went out like that.

Don't get carried away with the hyperbole dude. A sparring partner??
C'mon, man.

I can't even put my feelings into words. Mayweather fought well.I don't
know if it was just me, he looked like he was TAKING IT EASY on Hatton,
the way a grown man would slap-box with his sisters 13 year old son.
he hit him square in the forehead with practiclly every shot he threw.
Then in the 10th round he hits Rickey and his head bounces off the
turnbuckle like something from a cartoon. It's a good thing Rickey wasn't
in there with Cotto or we'd be going to a funeral. Like I said totally
sickening.

johnnyboy

Guru
hatton got dominated. it was a typical PBF fight. he flat out is better than hatton or any other boxer in the world right now. it sux to say but im truthful. im not going to deny the obvious, i'll leave that to the hip hop culture. hatton tried his best but he is not in the same class as PBF. i still give him credit for fighting PBF. something a lot of boxers have refused to do.

the only fighter i think can give PBF some trouble is Cotto and maybe antonio margarito. but even those two are a huge stretch.

i hope all the guys eating crow right now learn not to underestimate PBF again. it ONLY gives him and his supporters more fuel. and please stop with bitching about the ref. thats a cop out. just admit hatton isnt in PBF's class. we need to admit that and move on. leave the whole "lets make excuses mentality" to the black klu klux klan. we're better than that.

johnnyboy

Guru
Tartan Pride said:
White Shogun said:
Tartan Pride said:
That was a disgusting

C'mon, man.

sickening.

haha. good point man. i was hoping hatton would do something but i think subconsciously i knew this was going to be a cake walk for PBF.

i hope the others on this website who still deny PBF's talent will man up and admit how good he is. he's an a-hole but hes an undefeated a-hole. maybe next time he fights he'll make a mistake and get knocked out...i hope anyway.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Seems like Hatton was going to lose anyway...

This is from fightnews.com:

NEWS FLASH
Hatton defeat saves bookies!
Mega-million payout averted
Ricky Hatton's dramatic tenth round defeat saved bookies from their biggest ever payout on a British sportsman. "Up to £20 million was gambled on the big fight and a win for Ricky Hatton would have landed an eight figure knockout blow on bookies, who would have lost up to £10 million had his tremendously brave effort resulted in victory. But as Ricky's fans have beaten us 43 times in the past we are only getting back some of the money we have lost to them over the years," said Hill's spokesman Graham Sharpe. One London-based William Hill client was celebrating after his £60,000 bet on a Mayweather win at 4/7 landed him a £94,000 payout, while another staked £35,000 to win £50,000.
Sunday, December 9 2007

They were'nt really going to lose all that money were they?

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Tartan Pride said:
White Shogun said:
Tartan Pride said:
That was a disgusting

C'mon, man.

sickening.

Your troll is peeking out from under your kilt. You're not even really trying to pretend anymore.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I was shocked that Mayweather ko'd Hatton, but not that he won. Also Cortez didn't allow Rickey to fight his physical style. It was bummer of a night. Also it looked like the fix was in anyway as the three blind mice had it a wide Floyd lead going into the 10th...
smiley5.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
I was shocked that Mayweather ko'd Hatton, but not that he won. Also Cortez didn't allow Rickey to fight his physical style. It was bummer of a night. Also it looked like the fix was in anyway as the three blind mice had it a wide Floyd lead going into the 10th...
smiley5.gif

The deck was stacked against Ricky Hatton...

Hockaday

Guru
Man, I've been feeling crappy all week, and now this. I didn't like this fight from the git-go. Ricky's not a welterweight. He joins a long list of very good fighters who moved up and got knocked out; Jose Napoles. Bob Foster. Alexis Arguello. Micheal Spinks. Mickey Walker. Carlos Zarate. All moved up beyond their ideal fighting weight, for the money, and got knocked out.

At least Ricky's in some pretty good company. Edited by: Hockaday