Danny Woodhead

foobar75

Master
Heh, sometimes I wonder what it is that we want here at CF. For a couple of years, it was all complaints (valid, of course) about Danny not getting a fair shot in the NFL. Then, finally, the Jets release him and the Pats pick him up. He becomes an integral part of their offense and has played very well this year. Instead of being happy, we're complaining that he's not getting enough touches. Nevermind the fact that the Pats like to spread the ball and have a lot of offensive weapons in Welker, Branch, Tate, the two TEs, and Law Firm, in addition to our man Danny. So, there just aren't enough touches for everyone each week.

Now, he gets a contract extension, one that could net him an additional $1.1 million in incentives, and we're still not happy. The contract is not good enough, the Pats will bring another RB next year, etc, etc. Similar sentiments have been discussed about Peyton Hillis also.

Whatever happened to enjoying this season for what it is, instead of being all pessimistic about next year based on pure conjecture and unfounded speculation? With this sort of negativity, we're going to work ourselves into a self-fulfilled prophecy.

DWFan

Mentor
I know I sometimes have that problem foobar...I'm glad I don't know these guys. If we were talking about their jobs, every time they expressed optimism my thoughts would just become focused on "oh, you poor sucker". But I can at least enjoy the game...when I see Hillis hurdling these dudes "poor sucker" is the farthest thing from my mind.

WhiteWorld

I apologize for bringing negativity to this thread, I do wish to be a positive influence here. I was screaming in my house when Woodhead scored on the 35yd run and when Welker pushed through two tacklers to go the extra 5yds for the score. You're right Foobar75, thx.

Bart

Hall of Famer
If I had been in Danny's shoes, I would have been happy to sign the contract. He is worth more of course, the Pats got him for a song, but Danny realizes he like so many other white players was most likely -that far- from being kept out of the pro ranks forever.

foobar75

Master
No worries WhiteWorld, I can see where the negativity comes from. For so long, white skill players in the NFL have been mistreated, and even a successful season does not guarantee future opportunities. They have to be nearly perfect in order to hold their roster spots, unlike their black counterparts who seem to be on 10-year development programs due to their unlimited potential. When you're used to seeing this sort of discrimination, I guess it's normal to be skeptical.

But I hope Woodhead (and Hillis) have broken the trend now and can look forward to some continued success in the coming years. We won't see a flood of white RBs entering the league anytime soon, but I think as (Don?) has mentioned in the past, we need to appreciate these baby-steps.

That's the only way to break down this corrupt caste system.

smiley20.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
foobar75 said:
Heh, sometimes I wonder what it is that we want here at CF. For a couple of years, it was all complaints (valid, of course) about Danny not getting a fair shot in the NFL. Then, finally, the Jets release him and the Pats pick him up. He becomes an integral part of their offense and has played very well this year. Instead of being happy, we're complaining that he's not getting enough touches. Nevermind the fact that the Pats like to spread the ball and have a lot of offensive weapons in Welker, Branch, Tate, the two TEs, and Law Firm, in addition to our man Danny. So, there just aren't enough touches for everyone each week.

Now, he gets a contract extension, one that could net him an additional $1.1 million in incentives, and we're still not happy. The contract is not good enough, the Pats will bring another RB next year, etc, etc. Similar sentiments have been discussed about Peyton Hillis also.

Whatever happened to enjoying this season for what it is, instead of being all pessimistic about next year based on pure conjecture and unfounded speculation? With this sort of negativity, we're going to work ourselves into a self-fulfilled prophecy.

I agree. It's almost miraculous that both Hillis and Woodhead are being "allowed" to run the ball after such a ridiculously long drought. It took injuries (again) in the case of Hillis, but you gotta give Belichick and the Patriots a lot of credit for picking up Danny and immediately throwing him in the lineup. Otherwise he would have joinedthe ever-growing and now quite voluminous list of White running backs and wide receivers who have been screwed over by the NFL during the past 30+ years.

John Kuhn's also played some tailback, though he was too beefed up from his long-time blocking fullback role to be as effective as he could have been. But the Packers could have easily brought in any one of a number of black journeymen off the street instead of using Kuhn, but didn't, at least until now.

What's almost as much fun to watch is how terrible so many black offensive linemen and black defensive players are. There aresomevery realcracks in the Caste System, but there's still a very long way to go before it'sin serious danger of being toppled. A lot more awareness from fans and White athletes is needed. Also, as with all totalitarian ideologies, Cultural Marxism doesn't believe in ceding any ground, and does so only temporarily as a strategic necessity. The Caste System is part of the overall demographic and psychological war being waged against Whites, and major changes in the Caste System aren't likely to take place unless and until there are major changes in the awareness and understanding level of a lot more White Americans than there is presently.

Patrick

Guru
Has anyone else noticed that Woodheads DVOA is 43.8%? Football outsiders has a minimum 88 for the main rankings and Woodhead is only at 56 but no one with 88 carries is above 30% and I only see one guy less than 88 that has more than 30%. How much value do people place in this statistic? His DYAR is 111 which right now would place him at #11 on the list. Hillis is #7 on DYAR which the website Footballoutsiders uses to rank players. Edited by: Patrick

icsept

Master
The Pats were smart to get Woodhead under contract at such a low salary. Now, they can utilize him more without having to pay him what he's worth. Also, the low salary will assure him that he won't get cut. The Pats should use their cap space on some White d-backs and linebackers.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Interesting piece, johnnyboy. Has some typical caste jargon, but if smaller players are becoming more means more Whites are becoming popular, I'm all for it. It is especially awesome for me to see White warriors like Danny Woodhead tear it up, because I'm 5-6.

white is right

Hall of Famer
icsept said:
The Pats were smart to get Woodhead under contract at such a low salary. Now, they can utilize him more without having to pay him what he's worth. Also, the low salary will assure him that he won't get cut. The Pats should use their cap space on some White d-backs and linebackers.
Yes one of the facts of the salary cap is that veterans around 30 are cut for rookies that in many cases aren't as good because the rookies make the league minimum and the veterans make 1 million plus. Woodhead's salary makes him a lock to stick on the team for a few years barring a major injury.

johnnyboy

Guru
Colonel_Reb said:
Interesting piece, johnnyboy. Has some typical caste jargon, but if smaller players are becoming more means more Whites are becoming popular, I'm all for it. It is especially awesome for me to see White warriors like Danny Woodhead tear it up, because I'm 5-6. 

hey Reb. i never understood the animosity NFL scouts have against shorter rb's. Barry Sanders was 5'7'' and he did alright.

what i'm really hoping for is that the NFL scouts go into their "herd" mentality, and make it a point to scour the country for their own versions of Danny Woodhead. NFL execs love copying each other and i'm sure that a lot of them are going to look at the Patriots and decide they NEED their own Danny Woodhead "type" player. an athletic, "undersized," running backs from FCS 2, FCS 3, and NAIA schools. if they decide to get off their butts and look, they are going to find a huge number of white and non-black running back prospects. heck, maybe Nate Kmic and Justin Beaver will get a shot now.

Peyton's success is also going to give a lot of white "power backs" an opportunity in these coming years. Zach Line should send him a thank you note.

cheers

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
johnnyboy, that's what I'm hoping happens as well. Even if just a few teams make that move, it should open up opportunities for a couple of White backs.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
If teams with important white offensive skill players like the Colts, Patriots and Packers keep winning and caste coaches like Josh McWigger, Denny Greene etc. keep quickly losing their jobs it should be almost inevitable that we shall see more "copycat" success stories. I think more folks are starting to see that affirmative action is just as prevalent in sports (actually MUCH more so- they just need to wake up) as it is in politics, in the media- and of course with things like the Rooney rule effecting NFL coaching decisions above the players. More team fans waking up- will also make it easier for teams to accept white offensive skill players.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
johnnyboy said:
Colonel_Reb said:

hey Reb. i never understood the animosity NFL scouts have against shorter rb's. Barry Sanders was 5'7'' and he did alright.

what i'm really hoping for is that the NFL scouts go into their "herd" mentality, and make it a point to scour the country for their own versions of Danny Woodhead. NFL execs love copying each other and i'm sure that a lot of them are going to look at the Patriots and decide they NEED their own Danny Woodhead "type" player. an athletic, "undersized," running backs from FCS 2, FCS 3, and NAIA schools. if they decide to get off their butts and look, they are going to find a huge number of white and non-black running back prospects. heck, maybe Nate Kmic and Justin Beaver will get a shot now.

Peyton's success is also going to give a lot of white "power backs" an opportunity in these coming years. Zach Line should send him a thank you note.

cheers

No one questions Maurice Jones-Drew who is around 5'7, the same height as Woodhead.

Back in the 1960's, teams looked for the "Big Back." It was thought that the smaller back would disappear. This turned out not to be the case.

WhiteWorld

Home > New York Jets > Breaking News
Patriots RB Danny Woodhead finding new home in New England, newfound attention facing former team
Published: Wednesday, December 01, 2010, 4:30 AM
Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
Follow Share this story
Story tools

Getty ImagesPatriots RB Danny Woodhead has become a contributor in New England.

Share 4 Comments FOXBOROUGH, Mass. â€" A black winter hat on top of Danny Woodhead's shaggy head served as the only indicator there was someone inside the media circle that enveloped his locker at Gillette Stadium yesterday.

The growing horde of cameras, microphones and tape recorders had come to hear his story â€" the one about the rival team that cut him three months ago, and will visit New England Monday to see how he has become a versatile weapon with the Patriots.

After nine games in New England, the running back has gained nearly five times as many total yards (574) as he had in the year and a half spent with the Jets between their practice squad, injury reserve and a stint on the active roster.

The media wanted to know how that journey made him feel, and whether or not he hated the Jets because of it. They wanted to know why his former teammates in New York still liken him to a superhero.

"Really, I just don't look at that too much, I'm not too worried about the media or what's going on in the media,"Â Woodhead said yesterday. "Really, I'm just trying to do my job every day. If they say good things, great; it's not something I'm looking into."Â

And though Woodhead's story may become exhausting to repeat between now and Monday night's highly anticipated showdown, it's one that's still surprising to Woodhead and those close enough to him to see the body of work that got him to this point.

How he catapulted his North Platte Bulldogs from Nebraska high school football irrelevance to within a game of the state championship, and took that momentum to Chadron State, where he gained the second-most all purpose yards in NCAA history.

And how he's still turning heads, one undrafted spring and two trying NFL seasons later.

"I just mentioned something to his dad the other day, and I think his dad used the word ‘surreal,'" Rich Reinert, a friend of the Woodhead family and the athletic director at his former high school, said in a telephone interview yesterday.

"To me it's interesting to be able to sit in the recliner of my family room and watch a young man in the NFL play that played for our high school, someone I've known since he was born."Â

It's the story that Reinert â€" whose daughters Amanda and Andrea used to babysit Woodhead â€" said has turned the 25,000-person railroad town into a pack of avid Patriots fans once New England claimed him just four days after he was waived by the Jets.

One that (almost) turned them against their beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers, too, when they only offered Woodhead a walk-on slot and a chance to return kicks and punts.

"That was kind of a bone of contention in this community,"Â Reinert said.

But it's also a story that doesn't surprise anyone, either.

Bob Zohner, Woodhead's high school coach, remembers vividly the way Woodhead would tear through defenses in his Wing-T offense. The "buck sweep"Â allowed him to wind up and toss his sub-200 pound body down the field.

He finished high school as Nebraska's Class-A all-time rushing leader with 4,891 yards.

"Every game he just did some remarkable things,"Â said Zohner, who taught both Woodhead and his future wife, Stacia, in high school phys ed. "Unbelievable."Â

It's the same kind of disregard for his body that allows Woodhead to lay out every week, hauling in passes in traffic, hurling his body at blitzing linebackers twice his size.

"He's come in here and he's worked hard since Day One,"Â said Patriots chief of player personnel, Nick Caserio.

"He's a smart player. There's a lot of things he's been asked to do and to this point he's had the success at doing those things. We're happy to have him."Â

And it's the story that's fun for Zohner to listen to, because it's the same one Woodhead told him before it all started. Back before anyone was there to listen.

Said Zohner: "He kept saying all along he was going to go to the next level."Â

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Although it would be quite satisfying to watch Danny Woodhead run wild against his ultra-brown former team on Monday Night Football"¦I have to give the Jets due credit for signing Woodhead "out of obscurity"Â￾ after the 2008 draft.

The Jets also could have easily parted ways with Danny after his knee injury, which he sustained during his rookie training camp. Woodhead was able to rehabilitate his knee using Jets doctors, Jets training staff, Jets facilities, etc. The Standard Operating Procedure for injured white skill players in the NFL is to immediately waive, cut, or release said player as soon as humanly possible. Rex Ryan has said repeatedly that he "really loves"Â￾ Danny and "didn't want to cut him"Â￾ in favor of ultra-bum, David Clowney.

Sure, Ryan may have been molding Woodhead into his racially-tolerable role as "Sean Morey Jr."Â￾ You know, those fearless, nothing-to-lose white "Junkyard Dogs"Â￾ that abuse their bodies as a gunner on punts and kickoffs. Still, being a special teams "mascot"Â￾ is the starting point for nearly every single white NFL skill player, regardless of draft status.

In 2009, he made the 53-man roster as a RB/WR, and actually received some carries and some targets in the passing game after Leon Washington's injury.

The Jets then provided Woodhead with the greatest opportunity of his career"¦when they cut him in September.Edited by: Thrashen

backrow

Hall of Famer
From rotoworld:

Danny Woodhead (RB) - New England Patriots

(Fri, Dec 3 - 11:55am ET)

Jets coach Rex Ryan concedes that he made a mistake in cutting Danny Woodhead early this season.
"Do I regret cutting him? Yeah, absolutely, right now I do," Ryan said. The Jets have gotten nothing out of fourth-rounder Joe McKnight, who was kept over Woodhead in September. Woodhead has excelled in the old Kevin Faulk role for the Pats.
Source: ESPN New York

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Aw, poor Rex Ryan. Of course, he can pay penance for his sins by simply cutting worthless Joe McKnight and replacing him with Jake Sharp. I'll bet that even if Jake has taken the year off and just eaten chips and twinkies washed down with sugary sodas, he's still in better shape than McKnight is!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Your probably right about that, FootballDad. By the way, your descriptions of junk food are hilariously awesome!

snow

Mentor
I cringe every time I read something like "generously listed at 5'8".....For the record he measured in at 5'7 and 3/4ths, (according to him) is that 1/4th really the difference between him and guys like Faulk, Westbrook etc? Not to mention hes bigger than MJD and Sproles

decent read, glad Hillis and Woodhead are getting tons of press.

Edited by: snow

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I don't care if Danny is 5'11 or 5'3...the guy is a outstanding athlete with Pro Bowl skill & talent.

Patrick

Guru
Rex Ryan admits he regrets cutting Woodhead.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/rex-ryan-admits-he-regrets-cutting-danny-woodhead/

"Do I regret cutting [Danny Woodhead]?"Â￾ Ryan said to ESPN New York. "Yeah, absolutely, right now I do."Â￾

Now if we could just get McDaniels on record saying he regrets trading Peyton Hillis that'd be the beginning of a dialogue as to why white athletes in the NFL are so often pushed to the side while guys like Laurence Maroney are allowed to stink it up season after season and still given chance after chance.Edited by: Patrick