Craig Pickering

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is the video of the 60 meters final to qualify the top two for the World Indoor Championships. I have watched this video countless times. The first thing you will notice is that the sprinter to Craigs right takes two steps and then falls down. This really hurt Craig. It is a huge distraction in a super short 60 meters race. At the point, Pickering is in either last or 2nd to last place out of 8 sprinters. He is at least 5-8 meters back of the pack. The amazing thing is that he almost ran down the whole field. He gained on everyone inclucking Dwain and Harry. He very well may have won the race but if it had gone another 10 meters, Craig walks them both down and wins the race. Craig Pickerings closing speed is off the charts. With a good start, he not only wins this race but runs a new p.b. in the 6.50's range! I'm am positive about this. I have studied the race over and over. He came from out of nowhere to run a very descent race and finish 3rd. For a guy who hasn't trained for indoors, he sure did look good except for the start. This gives me great anticipation of what is to come in the near future. I believe Craig has one more race indoors before he resumes training for the outdoor season. Maybe he can get a really good time to give him confidence going into the summer. His speed endurance looks very good at the moment. Good luck to Craig in a very important year for his career! Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2gQTjt0R7YEdited by: white lightning

white is right

Hall of Famer
Craig looked like he was stuck in the blocks. You would think with the way he closed he would have done a 6.5X with decent start.

Flash

Looks like when that guy falls down craig sort of stops accelerating for a tiny fraction of a second, so yeah its unfortunate but if craig is only concerned with outdoors this year it doesnt really matter too much. Just make sure everythings perfect for summer and shock them!

albinosprint

Mentor
after watching the video, I can say Craig's start was just OK. his acceleration didn't look so great and that could be from the distraction from the guy next to him. by 30-35 meters he is 2nd to last place and still managing to take third is amazing. he has great closing speed! with his closing speed had the race been 5-10m longer he would have won. what he needs to do besides taking it easy this winter is to run some competitive 200m outdoor. hopefully he can turnout a PB this year in the 100m. he really needs to PR this year to build confidence or he will never break 10. A good run in 10.0x with get his head back on track.

trackster

Mentor
I'll be so glad when outdoor starts. It's hard to tell much from these 60's. What we really need to see is whether Pickering can maintain top speed over the next 40 meters. I'm certain that LeMaitre can. Haven't seen quite the same from Pickering yet, although the big difference, at least during the indoor season, is that we're watching Pickering close somewhat on top notch world class sprinters, whereas LeMaitre so outclasses his French competition that it's like he's running solo time trials.

albinosprint

Mentor
Craig has always had great closing speed. what keeps Craig from being great is 1. his mental state. I believe this boy is under way too much pressure and also just constantly harassed by his fellow "black" sprinters. and 2. his start. he has always had a weak start and although he will get a good one in here and there, they are for the most part are bad.this could also be a metal aspect of his race. I also think the fact he usually has a long indoor season doesn't help him for outdoors. what he really needs to do is head somewhere warm in the winter to practice. he just got allot of negative forces against him. his team mates shun him, his country doesn't support him and he has the white under 10 on his shoulders. I'm surprised this kid runs as well as he does. I know I couldn't handle that kind of pressure. he has the skills to run under 10, he just needs the right mentality and a few changed to his training.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
With Craig it is like flipping a coin. He has the talent to go sub 10 with out a doubt. The problem is he can't put the different phases of the race together. That is mostly a mental aspect that he needs to grasp. He either starts fast and fades or he starts slow and comes on like a raging bull at the end. There are some races where he has put it all together but they have been few and far between. Even as a teenager, Craig was known as a strong finisher. I think he really needs to get more consistant at getting out of the blocks quicker. Second he needs additional speed endurance to make sure that he always finishes strong. That along with his arm mechanics improving will lead to faster times.

He is so close to being the best sprinter that England has. Even Chambers who ran a 6.42 could go no faster than a 10.00 flat last year. He fades like crazy too. Pickering has the talent. He just needs some fine tuning. This summer will be his coming out party. If he is ever to get back on track, this year is huge. He cannot afford to not break his p.b. at least once. Good luck to the young lad. We will support him regardless. I wish he was in a better environment.Edited by: white lightning

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Well, Craig might just have hit a wall. He needs to put on a dreadlocks wig, a little face paint, and start talking like Dan Akroyd in "Trading Places" as he books a flight to Jamaica. He can then "hang out" with Usain Bolt's trainers, and he'll be 3 tenths quicker in a month or so, by "Jamaican Magic"!

albinosprint

Mentor
yeah, all he needs is some of dem good ja-may-kin yams mon!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig races this Saturday. The field has some really fast guys in it. I will be posting a link to watch this meet live and also the one from Germany. I'm still working on a link for France. If I get all three, you guys owe me some beer. Lol.

Here is the sprinters entered in the 60 with their seasons best and personal best times listed. Maybe Craig can improve on his s.b. of 6.63 seconds. This is his last race indoors. Good luck to Craig.

Aviva Grand Prix
60 METRES (M) - h 1
Event Date: 20/02/2010 Start Time: 13:39 Event No: 4
Name PB SB Status
Harry Aikines Aryeetey (GBR) 6.55 6.55 Confirmed
Daniel Bailey (ANT) 6.54 6.54 Confirmed
Nesta Carter (JAM) 6.87 0.00 Confirmed
Simone Collio (ITA) 6.55 6.62 Confirmed
Olusoji Fasuba (NGR) 6.49 6.67 Confirmed
Mario Forsythe (JAM) 6.68 6.68 Confirmed
Mark Jelks (USA) 6.51 6.56 Confirmed
Trell Kimmons (USA) 6.53 6.58 Confirmed
Jeffrey Lawal Balogun (GBR) 6.69 6.70 Confirmed
Mark Lewis-Francis (GBR) 6.51 6.59 Confirmed
Jaysuma Ndure (NOR) 6.54 6.67 Confirmed
Craig Pickering (GBR) 6.55 6.63 Confirmed
Michael Rodgers (USA) 6.51 6.53 Confirmed
Ryan Scott (GBR) 6.59 6.74 Confirmed
Ryan Shields (JAM) 6.58 6.58 Confirmed
Nick Smith (GBR) 6.63 6.69 Confirmed

Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
For everyone on this board, here is a great new interview with Craig. Don't give up on this kid. He is confident in his ability and is aiming for bigger and better things. Craig is also starting to do alot more plyometric training. These are all very good signs of things to come. Good luck Craig! Here is the article.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12992_5976831,00.htmlEdited by: white lightning

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
It's hard not to like Craig. He seems like such a great guy.
But all that work is going to waste if he doesn't get his start and drive phase in order. And unfortunately, they've never been in order. Also his arm mechanics. Even in the article, the photo of him shows his arm swinging right across his body. Compare that to the photo of Lemaitre in your avatar. Big difference.
I'm glad that Craig has such a great work ethic - let's just hope he's working on those 2 things!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree jacknyc. My biggest complaint is that he has stuck with the same coach for far too long. Probably because Craig is very loyal to the people he cares about. I guess we will see what happens this summer. One thing is for sure. If he struggles again, the coach will be replaced. I just hope it isn't too late. This kid has so much ability if he can get everything straightened out.

devans

Mentor
Replying to American Dad - booking a flight to Jamaica - that certainly is one option - but you can come unstuck.
Young British 60M Hurdler Callum Priestly signed up with a U.S. based Jamaican agent, Teddy Bailey. A few months later and he fails an out of competition drugs test.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8552246.stm
Don't know if has actually been out training in the Caribbean, but it looks like he has been trying out a few of their training "methods".

Edited by: devans

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is some new videos of Craig Pickering in training. One thing I like is that he has two videos of him running some 220 sprints. He is finally working on his speed endurance. So far so good. I really like what I'm seeing. It's good to see him training with some other guys and hopefully they call all push each other to new heights. I'm guessing this must be his official channel. Enjoy the videos guys.

I can't wait to see Craig shock some people this summer. He has had a couple of very average years and he has struggled with some nagging injuries. I think he will finally smash is 100 meters p.b. this summer and most likely his 200 meters p.b. as well. I really believe that running a few deuces early in the season will help his times in the 100! Good luck Craig. We are some of your biggest fans!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrCraig1014#p/u/4/uU-5G6pxHvoEdited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm suprised no one has commented on Craig Pickering. These training videos have me pumped up for the outdoor season. Let's stay behind this guy. He will break Allan Wells records before all is said and done. I want him to medal at the 2010 European Outdoor Championships. My dream scenario would be a 1-2-3 finish for the medals of Lemaitre, Pickering and Guliyev. Don't count out Fabio Cerutti as well as a few Germans may also make the final.

albinosprint

Mentor
just got to watch the videos and I'm pumped! he is looking good! training for the 200 is what he needs to go to the next level. he should race a few 200's in the early season to set up for the 100m at the EOC. his start and drive phase are looking great. his 200m PR is going to be blown away and I see a new PR in the 100 also. I still say this kids got what it take to break 10.summer is going to be great!

Flash

what craig is doing is bang on IMO, and i personally think he should open the outdoor season with some 200 races instead and then start the 100's later on aswell. Its going to be very exciting to watch. This years outdoors is surely going to be the best!
Edited by: Flash

albinosprint

Mentor
new videos up of CP on youtube!

j41181

Master
I'm still bugged how all the training funding were cut from this dude. Truly a waste and disrespect on the true native son of England. While there's still upside on his game and potential of reaching elite territory (sub 10), I grateful for the emergence of guys like Lemaitre and Guliyev. They have a greater chance of succeeding were Pickering has often failed at this point in time. Regardless, all the best of luck to Pickering.

trackster

Mentor
This is especially for Lightning. Quite by accident (looking for training ideas for my son), I discovered that Craig maintains an active training log forum online. He posts his daily workouts and responds to questions, etc. It isn't actually hugely interesting--mostly about lifts and 30 meter flies--but it gives insight to anyone interested in his day-to-day progress. FWIW, so far as I can tell he does a very old-school program (which they call "European," as opposed to American or Jamaican), and I haven't observed any speed endurance work at all. Who knows? Maybe his coach knows better, but I personally kind of believe in the speed endurance concept. At any rate, it's not really an appropriate forum to go on and bust his balls about his workouts (as did one guy, whom he politely asked to take a hike!)

On the forum, Craig is known as speedfreak1. I don't know if there are any other well known runners on those boards.

http://www.elitetrack.com/forums/viewthread/8964/

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for posting this trackster. I was aware of it but I haven't joined that board. I've been thinking about it though. A few guys that post here are over there. I do go there alot as well as around 8 other track boards or sites. Just like you I like to keep up with all of the latest news. I can tell you that Richard Kilty is going to run on May 13th over the 100 and 200 meters. Craig is opening up on May 23rd. So track season is right around the corner! I can't wait.Edited by: white lightning