Craig Pickering

trackster

Mentor
This is cool--Craig seems to have discovered our board and answered some of our questions on his training log. Well, if you see this Craig, good luck. I gather you're in Italy now (ah, to be young and fast and on the Mediterranean...). If you can maintain your focus with all those gorgeous Italian women around, you are truly a champion!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm pumped for his first 200 race in a very long time. He will also race in the 100 on May 27th. Two races in four days. It should be interesting to see how he does! His start, arm swing and stride length all need to be watched carefully but he is on the right track.

Good luck Craig!

albinosprint

Mentor
I sure he will PB in the 200!

mastermulti

Master
I have joined that forum CPs been blogging on but haven't got around to commenting on someone's comment that Craig would find 120 metres the perfect distance.

My suggestion, partly serious, would be for him to come and spend summer in Australia after the Commonwealth Games (probably in the ACT where the AIS is situated) and train for next year.
Colin Jackson, John Regis and Linford Christie often did that.

He'd have warm weather, training partners who can run 10.20-10.30,various Grand Prix meets to compete in and then follow up by running the 120 metres Stawell Gift at Easter time before he goes home, missing the indoor season but ready for their summer.
Heck, loads of young Brits come here for extended holidays anyway so he could take in plenty of what we have to offer while maintaining a good training schedule.

There's no doubt he'd find plenty here willing to assist with the logistics but planning would have to start soon.
The change of scene might work wonders.Edited by: mastermulti

StarWars

Mentor
mastermulti said:
I have joined that forum CPs been blogging on but haven't got around to commenting on someone's comment that Craig would find 120 metres the perfect distance.

He might do well over 120 meters, but I believe that somewhere between 60 meters to 80 meters would be his perfect distance. I haven't seen any of his 10 meter splits because he hasn't competed in an Olympic final yet, but in my opinion the exact point where his top speed makes up for his poor start, but doesn't include too much speed endurance, is his perfect race distance. Someone like Fabio Cerutti or Dwain Chaimbers is a much better example of a person who would be a better 50 meter or 55 meter runner like some a-hole said Craig would be. Remember his race with Kim Collins where he ran 6.5X with a horrendous start? That day is a much more clear example of Craig's strengths and weaknesses.

StarWars

Mentor
Although, now that I know Craig at least reads some of what is written about him on here I feel a little apprehensive about commenting on his start. I mean, sure, it needs to improve but knowing how much this guy thinks before his races and about his training I don't want to be the guy that gets into his head and creates a self-fulfilling prophecy (like the media tries to do sometimes). In 2007 it didn't look bad at all, and maybe the emphasis on this year's outdoor season made him fresh for outdoors. A sprinter should be confident inside. Like Borsov. Whether it's strutting around like Cerutti, or just joking around like Bolt, confidence is obviously an outward expression of self-efficacy that is supposed to derive from some sort of justification (being really fast). Craig, I like how you listen to advice for training, but when it comes time for competition, just think about how freakin' fast you are. And if it helps you, how much faster you are than you are supposed to be. Because you are one of the fastest, honest humans on Earth, period. And in the 60, you are likely mere hundredths of a second off the human threshold for speed.

It's very possible that thinking about the 10 second "barrier" can alter performance, but keep in mind you (an Englishman) and a Frenchman are going at it to be the first European to ever break 10 legally. To the millions of DWFs in America (drunk white fans), you are a nobody (because of the many cheaters), but you can be one of the most famous sprinters ever by running just .1 faster. Kindof a scary thought. And I'm the one trying to help you not be your own worst enemy...

Another piece of advice: listen to techno.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: StarWars

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good advice Star Wars. There is one thing that worries me about Craig at the moment though. It's his arm swing. It seemed to be improving until recently. In his training videos, he seems to be pumping them side to side again. It might just be how he is built. Form is so important when you win or lose by hundreths of seconds.

The main thing is for Craig to visualise his races. Be confident. Believe that you can win. That confidence, swagger and attitude goes along ways. Have confidence in your coach, your training and most of all in your abilities. He has some of the highest top end speed in the world. There is no reason he shouldn't be able to go sub 10 multiple times. Don't let some of your arrogant teammates get you off your game. I won't mention names but many of them are cornholes and would love nothing more than for Craig to fail. You are as good or better than all of them. They are just as the young kids say, haters! Just go out and do your thing. Get that confidence and swagger back that you had in 2007 and you will represent England just fine. We are your biggest fans Craig. Good luck next weekend. A new p.b. in the deuce would be a great start.Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree. If the weather is warm, I will guess a time around 20.85-20.95 or so. Only a few more days to go till he opens his season. It's so weird to see him running a 200 meters race but I"m happy they finally are seeing the light. Good luck Craig.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is the race with Pickering. He faded coming down the stretch but it's his first 200 race in 7 years! He still tied for 2nd with MLF in a time of 20.89 which ties his personal best. It's not about winning, it's about him working on his speed endurance to close out races. Nice start for the Pick! He will race again in 3 or days over 100 meters and Asafa is in the same race. Good luck Craig.

http://yfrog.com/6pj8vzEdited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Was over at another track message board reading Craigs Journal of 2010. He talks a little about his race. Here is what Craig posted for his fans. He will race twice this week and I hope he does great. Good luck Craig.

And so I now officially opened up, and with a PB, 20.89. Didnt run the bend as I would have liked, as MLF was past me coming onto the straight - if I can fix that I think there is a 20.7 something there - just depends if I get another chance to do one!

Racing in Ostrava on Thursday now, and then Hengelo on Sunday, two big races. I really hope they go well, I dont want another year like last year. Especially after watching the 100s yesterday with the 10.06w. My best ever opener is 10.22 (or 10.16w), so I will be aiming for that sort of time.

Another little factoid for you:
2004 - 21.35 = 10.41
2005 - 21.32 = 10.22
2006 - 21.8 = 10.34
2007 - 21.17w = 10.14

2010 - 20.89 = ?
Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Craig racing in Ostrava on Thursday. It is a big meet with alot of top sprinters there including Asafa Powell. Craig is aiming at running sub 10.05 this year. That is his goal and hopefully he will acheive it. I feel really good about his chances this year with his coach finally switching up his training regimine. Here is the latest article with Craig talking about his goals for 2010.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26052010/58/pickering-euros-vow.htmlEdited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We are only 12 hours away from the start of the 2010 Ostrava Golden Spike Meet. That would be 9.00 A.M. Mountain Standard Time. Adjust for you time zone. I will try my best to find a live feed to watch the meet. There will be a track meet in Germany this weekend brodcast live and I will post that link.

It is time for Craig to show where he is as with his current form. This is his first 100 meters race of the year and there are several sub 10 guys. He will have to be at his best to make the finals as there is a qualifying round up first. I'm hoping for him to open up in the 10.10-10.15 range. Good luck Craig.Here is a list or his competitors.

http://www.zlatatretra.cz/download/startlist2010-preliminary.xlsEdited by: white lightning

mastermulti

Master
so what are the weather predictions for Ostrava tonight WL?

It'll be 2 in the morning over here and I'd like nothing more than to wake up to special news from the 100m about 4.5 hours later
smiley2.gif
Edited by: mastermulti

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I think it's a little cooler weather. Mild and breezy. Hopefully the wind can stay down under 2.0 and be at the sprinters backs. That was a heartbreak to see Craig robbed of a new p.b. of 10.08 last summer when he finished 2nd to U.Bolt but the wind was 2.1 so it didn't count. What a joke of a .1 to just tease and humiliate a sprinter. It seemed to go down hill after that race. Maybe it will be different this time. The only bad thing is that it's tough to run fast when you have to run twice in a few hours. It's alot easier if you only race once especially this early in the season as he probably isn't close to being in top condition yet.

mastermulti

Master
I hope this year sees Craig with consistency. Christophe seems to have it and I think it denotes an innate confidence that sprinters need to succeed

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The weather is cool and rainy. Craig looked very average in his heat finishing third in a time of 10.39! I do think that he was holding back a little despite the worst start I've even seen him have in his life. Let's see if he can run better in the finals. I don't expect a personal best in these conditions although it doesn't seem to effect Asafa Powell. It must be the yams!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The weather is horrible. At the start of the 110 high hurdles, around half the guys half towels over their heads or jackets to try and stay a little dry. It appears as if it is raining alot harder than earlier. What a shame.

The 100 Finals should be on within the next 20-40 minutes.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
MLF got disqualified in the finals. Craig looked awful. He finished in 6th place. I won't even bother with the time. I wonder what his coach will say. It's the worst I have ever seen him run. He was just flat the whole race. You have to feel bad for him as this is the last thing he needs when his confidence is down. Maybe he can bounce back on Sunday.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
10.39 in the heats and 10.43 in the finals. Very disappointing.
I think expectations for Craig's season need to be lowered considerably.