Ben Roethlisberger

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ben is doing great for me this year in the fantasy league. I sure wish I had started him when they said he was questionable one week. That was his best week of the year, and I got 0 points from my QB position.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Big Ben finds a way to win again. He played through a lot of pain in his right knee which affected his mobilityand came through when it counted at the end of the game. He reminds me of Terry Bradshaw -- big, strong, mobile, with a strong and accurate arm. He should only keep getting better.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Madden and Michaels mentioned Ben was doing well handing the ball off and throwing occasionally. They wanted to see if Ben had what it takes to move the Steelers down the field with passes at the end of the game. Ben met the challenge and made great throws to clinch the victory as did Brady the night before.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I am glad he is being successful. I am also glad he has a nickname that the media uses. Very few white players are afforded this luxury these days, and I am glad we have one. Does anyone know of any others?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Considering all the great white athletes there are, very few are given nicknames. The Rocket and The Big Unit in baseball. Le Magnifique (sp?) and The Great One in hockey, though Gretzky of course is retired.

Lance Armstrong should have a nickname. So should Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, and a lot of others. Big Ben is the only one I can think of in football, besides Vanderjerk that is.
smiley18.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone who has followed the Steelers this season knows that Big Ben has been the team MVP. When he was injured and Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch took over at quarterback there was a dramatic dropoff in how the Steelers played on offense. Roethlisberger is as integral to the Steelers success as Brady is to the Patriots and P. Manning to the Colts.

Yet Hines Ward and Casey Hampton were named Pittsburgh's co-MVPs today. I was just listening toa sports talk show and the host was incredulous that Big Ben didn't win. One caller surmised that Ben lost because he must be "a jerk" in the locker room.

The reason Ward and Hampton won and Big Ben didn't is simple -- the winner is selected by vote of the Steelers players. It's a popularity contest in which race trumps other factors.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Roethlisberger is as integral to the Steelers success as Brady is to the Patriots and P. Manning to the Colts. Yet Hines Ward and Casey Hampton were named Pittsburgh's co-MVPs today.

Namingany Steeler MVPother thanBen is ridiculous. It seems there is a backlash against white quarterbacks this year. Too much talk about Brady, Manning, Palmer, Big Ben, Hasselbeck, Brees, Brunell and the new and improvedJake Plummer.Therefore,all the MVP buzz is now directed towards several black running backs. I've even heard Thomas Jones of the Bears touted as a prime candidate.

GWTJ

Mentor
Hines Ward is having a good year. But Casey Hampton? WTF!
smiley5.gif
What about Troy Polamalu? This is a list of all the Steeler MVP's since 1969:

1969 WR  Roy Jefferson
1970  DT  Joe Greene
1971  LB  Andy Russell
1972  RB  Franco Harris
1973  WR  Ron Shanklin
1974  S   Glen Edwards
1975  CB  Mel Blount
1976  LB  Jack Lambert
1977  QB  Terry Bradshaw
1978  QB  Terry Bradshaw
1979  WR  John Stallworth
1980  SS  Donnie Shell
1981  LB  Jack Lambert
1982  CB  Dwayne Woodruff
1983  PK  Gary Anderson
1984  WR  John Stallworth
1985  WR  Louis Lipps
1986  LB  Bryan Hinkle
1987  LB  Mike Merriweather
1988  LB  David Little
CB  Rod Woodson
1989  WR  Louis Lipps
1990  CB  Rod Woodson
1991  LB  Greg Lloyd
1992  RB  Barry Foster
1993  CB  Rod Woodson
1994  LB  Greg Lloyd
1995  QB  Neil O'Donnell
1996  RB  Jerome Bettis
1997  RB  Jerome Bettis
1998  LB  Levon Kirkland
1999  LB  Levon Kirkland
2000  RB  Jerome Bettis
2001  QB  Kordel Stewart
2002  WR  Hines Ward
LB  Joey Porter
2003  WR  Hines Ward
2004  LB  James Farrior
2005  NT  Casey Hampton
WR  Hines Ward

Interesting the Joe Greene was only the MVP 1 time. Kordell managed to make it but he did have 1 good year. Bryan Hinkle, a white LB was MVP 1 year. I don't really see a pattern but this is the 3rd MVP award for Hines Ward. But he shared it in 2002 as well. The Steelers even voted Gary Anderson their MVP one year.Edited by: GWTJ

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know that it's been onlytheplayers doing the voting since '69, but only one white player has won it since '86.

Neither Hampton nor Ward made the Pro Bowl this year. Hampton made it in '03 then early in '04 suffered a season ending injury. White backup nose tackle Chris Hoke came in and by most accounts was as good or better than Hampton, then of course spent all of '05 warming the bench again while Hampton received all the playing time and accolades.

Big Ben didn't make the Pro Bowl, and likely never will as long as the Steelers are the runningest team in the league. But he's obviously the player the offense revolves around. It's no coincidence that Kordell Stewart won it in '01 but Roethlisberger has been shut out two years in a row.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't even know who Chris Hampton is. Er. Casey Hampton, I mean.
smiley17.gif
Edited by: White Shogun

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Seems like besides being a great quarterback, Roethslisberger is a great guy, too. He has allowed his image and name to be associated with products from which he apparently receives little compensation. See article here
for full details.

An interesting anecdote: Big Ben is #2 behind Randy Moss, of all people, in sales of men's jerseys, and #2 behind Donovan McNabb in sales of jerseys for women.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had an emergency appendectomy after becoming ill before practice Sunday and will miss Thursday night's season opener against Miami.

Roethlisberger began having pain and was vomiting Sunday morning, and was taken to UPMC Presbyterian for surgery after being examined by the team's medical staff.

"The surgery went well," Cowher said. "He is obviously going to be out this week and we will go week to week from there."

Full article

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
(KFFL) Mike Prisuta, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, reports the Denver Broncos, particularly DE Ebenezer Ekuban, are glad to be facing Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger Week 9 and not QB Charlie Batch. "I'd rather face Ben than Charlie Batch just because of how their offense has been doing with Charlie Batch in there," Ekuban said. "Nothing against Ben - he's a Super Bowl quarterback. But you know what? The tape doesn't lie."

G

Roethlisburger wont be good because he doesn't have the leadership an African American quaterback can bring to the team. Also, he can't run fast like MVick.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
So in order to be good, QBs must be black and fast? Hmm, that pretty much means all NFL quarterbacks in history aren't good, including Batch, Fumblepepper, McDrab, and Moon.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Was listening to a Pittsburgh sports talk show brieflythis afternoon, and the host was reading from an article on asite (can't remember the name now) in which "unnamed sources" blamed Roethlisberger's "poor work ethic" for the Steelers big fadeout this season. "Last in, first out" was the term used to describe Ben's interest in his job.

I have enough local knowledgeabout the Steelers to know that's a bunch of b.s. First of all, this kidrushed back on the field from a near-fatal motorcycle accident and then an appendectomy, and then a pretty good concussion. He never made excuses, in fact he always took all the blame himself for the team's poor performances.

Bill Cowher is whipped; his wife has convinced him to move to North Carolina and Bill has complied. He went through the motions this year and is expected to announce his resignation soon after the regular season finale. Additionally, most of the Steelers were complacent as hell this year, more than content to live off the glory of last season's Super Bowl win. The fact that Joey Porter is the "team leader" says a lot about the overall character of the team. It's just another group of mediocre, selfish players this year, much like most NFL teams. But Big Ben isn't one of them. It's a typical case of either a jealous teammate or a Caste journalist pointing the finger at an easy white target rather than the real culprits.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Steelers better pray their crappy, almost all-black o-line can keep Big Ben healthy as Charlie Batch broke his collarbone in last night's game. Batch is a solid back-up but the team has nothing after him but rookie "project" Dennis Dixon. There are reports that the team wants to try out Byron Leftwich.
smiley11.gif
Nothing but black QBs after Ben, looks like Mike Tomlin is from the Herm Edwards/Dennis Green school of the blacker the roster the better.

I just read this thread back from the start. I noted the comment about the Steeler players voting for the team MVP. It triggered my memory on something I saw on a TV game over 30 years ago. Jack Lambert had been voted Steeler MVP (it must have been 1976), and the announcer quoted Lambert as saying, "I won because Mel Blount got out the black vote."

bigunreal

Mentor
The Steelers sign both Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper? Isn't that just a bit of overkill? I guess Tomlin is going to make sure no black QB stays unemployed.

Two quick observations from the Steelers-Eagles game. First, on all the fantasy sites, Dennis Dixon's performance was described as "impressive." He was 6-9 for THIRTY yards! Unbelievable. Second, Charlie Batch was injured because of a bone-crushing hit from some white Eagles defensive player. On all the highlights I saw, this white player was never identified. I feel pretty confident that if that had been a black defender, his name would have been mentioned in every report.

bigunreal said:
The Steelers sign both Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper? Isn't that just a bit of overkill? I guess Tomlin is going to make sure no black QB stays unemployed.

Two quick observations from the Steelers-Eagles game. First, on all the fantasy sites, Dennis Dixon's performance was described as "impressive." He was 6-9 for THIRTY yards! Unbelievable. Second, Charlie Batch was injured because of a bone-crushing hit from some white Eagles defensive player. On all the highlights I saw, this white player was never identified. I feel pretty confident that if that had been a black defender, his name would have been mentioned in every report.

That was strong safety Sean Considine, who will be playing a backup role to Quentin Mikkel this year due to his recurring shoulder injury problem. Considine is the target of some venom from the philly fans, who never gave him a chance to recover from said injury before flaming him.
smiley19.gif

White Power

Mentor
I think you can rest assured that Tomlin will be gone in only a few years of being Pittsburgh head coach because of the stupid moves like he made this morning. I hope he benches Rothlesberger and plays a brotha then will see how long the fans of the Steelers put up with this black loving bullsh*t. Now does that seem farfetched possibly, but I would never put it past a black coach to screw his team and play an inferior player and a white position only because he can. Look at what Herm Edwards did to Jared Allen, Rothlesberger on the trading block down the road maybe.Edited by: White Power

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Hahaha, Leftwich and Culpepper?! Could it be that Tomlin is a bigger caste-shill than the mentally ill Bill Cowher?

Holy god, I wonder if the braindead, drunken white sheep "fans" will notice the "special" features of thier new backup QBs.

This is hilarious, and I hope the Steelers and their "fans" get exactly what they deserve. I love Ben, and think he's the most valuable QB to his team after Brady and Manning. I dont want him to get hurt or play poorly....but I desperately want to see the Steelers lose this season. Thier 90% black-fat-slow-sumo lineman will ensure a terrible blocking scheme.

During the Eagles-Steelers game, I noticed how slow, small, and crappy the highly drafted WRs Limus Sweed and Deshawn Jackson played for their respectice caste-franchises. Sweed ran his routes like a woman and could barely stay on his feet, while Jackson looked like a very slow, unexplosive smurf.These guys will fit perfectly in the NFL
smiley36.gif

White Power

Mentor
The fact that the NFL wants to force inferior brain dead negroe coaches down our throats simply because they might be percieved as a racist leauge is really ruining the the integrity of the leauge that we all love so much. In comparison the fact that we on this site want to see whites succeed at caste positions in football means were all racist biggots frankly I don't get the trolls that come on this site. Really the subject is quite laughable you can't have it both ways black coaches need to take race out as one of the factors when evaluating talent, but we all know they can't. It's time for white coaches to start doing the same. White coaches you will become extinct if you don't start standing up for the white athlete, and quit kissing the asses of all of your negroe prospects. The media want's all black coaches in college and the pro's if whites don't start protecting each other. It might just become a fact that a leauge dominated by the inferior negroe player will have just as many terribly bad negroe coaches at that that point the NFL will have committed suicide as a viable leauge in this country. Wake up white coaches and fans demand equal treatment for the white athlete or else the leauge you love will be doomed to failure.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
The Steelers chose Leftwich over Culpepper. They didn`t sign both.

Big Ben has Leftwich and Dixon backing him up.

Maybe the Rooneys do need to sell the team to someone who isn`t interested in using the Rooney Rules for black dominance of all positions-coaches and players.

Next thing you know, they`ll expand each team`s practice squad by two and mandate that the positions must be filled by a black kicker and punter-even if 13 y/o white kids can do better in Punt, Pass and Kick competitions.

Then they`ll come up with something like the Negro Minor League of Kicking-to give disadvantaged blacks a chance to hone their skills at kicking and punting in the offseason.