2023 NFL Week 17

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
What was the over/under for the game? I don't follow that because I don't gamble on sports events, but most were expecting a high scoring game and I doubt the two point attempt affected it either way, just wondering what the motivation might have been if the call was deliberate. Maybe too much important money betting on the Cowboys.

O/U was 52.5. It certainly killed people the put down the moneyline on Detroit to win outright. Officiating has been pretty bad the last few years with 2023 being the most glaring and blatant example.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's always been bad, especially defensive pass interference and defensive holding calls, which are so subjective. Some games are penalty filled and others have relatively few. During some games interference is called when a receiver is barely touched, others it isn't even if receivers are manhandled. There was a good example of the latter last night, I believe it was St. Brown who was hit hard and had no chance to make a catch because of it but nothing was called.

If the league and the TV networks that enable and support it are going to have prolonged talmudic delays parsing every catch to make sure the ball never bounced or that the receiver made a "football move" after the catch or that he had two feet in bounds, then they might as well be consistent and have reviews of penalty calls. Even the NHL, which is also plagued by very subjective penalty calling, now sees refs huddle after calls and sometimes change them after the fact. The NFL is doing a bit of that now too, you used to never hear "there was no penalty on the play" after one was called, but there's a long way to go. But if games are tweaked for gambling or other interests, then nothing will change.

jphoss

Mentor
True, theoretically longer arms enable lockout of the defender easier; however this very slight (and I would argue it makes no difference a few inches) advantage is quickly and absolutely negated by proper footwork and intelligence.

It’s really just a way to elevate underserving blacks ahead of whites. Black privilege is rampant in sports and society at large.
I posted this in another thread but it deserves to be posted again. This is pff grading linemen over a 3 year period and shows ZERO correlation between arm length and good linemen. Granted pff is not the be all end all but it’s a good piece of evidence illustrating the arm length myth

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I posted this in another thread but it deserves to be posted again. This is pff grading linemen over a 3 year period and shows ZERO correlation between arm length and good linemen. Granted pff is not the be all end all but it’s a good piece of evidence illustrating the arm length myth

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

Over my 20ish years of following the draft the arm length hype has become just as arbitrary as the 40 times. Neither equate to a player having success in the NFL but since most blacks have longer arms and run slightly faster 40s these are the traits that are put on a pedestal. Of course when a black doesn't have ideal arm length or runs a slow 40 they get excuses made up for them as well. It's a win/win for blacks.

White athletes on the other hand have to check off every box to even get a chance.

Over my 20ish years of following the draft the arm length hype has become just as arbitrary as the 40 times. Neither equate to a player having success in the NFL but since most blacks have longer arms and run slightly faster 40s these are the traits that are put on a pedestal. Of course when a black doesn't have ideal arm length or runs a slow 40 they get excuses made up for them as well. It's a win/win for blacks.

White athletes on the other hand have to check off every box to even get a chance.
What draft measurements do you think should matter the most when it comes to measuring athleticism?

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
What draft measurements do you think should matter the most when it comes to measuring athleticism?

I think their is an acceptable range of measurements dependent upon position. I don't think 37" arms are a must for an offensive tackle, I don't think a 4.3/low 4.4 40 is necessary for a WR. Alot of the combine is just window dressing and putting lipstick on a pig for many athletes to justify draft stock.

Not an exact answer I know but generally speaking way too much emphasis is put on combine/pro days.

You can look at Bryce Young - undersized, average physical ability, plug and play starter, did not perform any sort of pro day workouts and got a pass. Anthony Richardson was the other side - not great on the field, inaccurate but a workout warrior. Somehow those two polar opposites were viewed as the 1st and 4th best players in the draft.

John Ross is one of the biggest busts in recent memory ran a fast 40 with no emphasis or look at how he was on the field playing the position. Toney is another benefactor of a combine workout. There are too many too list.

Last edited:

Warhawk_46

Master

Exactly. Just a way to denigrate a white athlete and elevate a black one.

backrow

Hall of Famer
CMC nearly 10 yards run on the first play of the game.

and 30 yards rushing on 6 plays of Niners first drive. I hope he can keep it up!

Cooper Kupp very active early on with 2 catches as well.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ian Eagle just excitedly said that Lamar Jackson represents "historic change." How so??? He's like at least the 100th black QB to start over the past 20 years, and we're still waiting for the first one to show the kind of endurance that's the trademark of great White QBs.

Christian McCaffery should represent "historic change" but as we know nothing will change in the aftermath of his great career.

backrow

Hall of Famer
am I the only one annoyed by lack of number discipline in the NFL these days? Linebackers with jerseys in their 20s and 40s, any random number playing WR or RB etc...

Rocky B

Master
San Fran needs to win big against Washington.
Nearing halftime it’s 10-10.
They need that first seed.

Rocky B

Master
am I the only one annoyed by lack of number discipline in the NFL these days? Linebackers with jerseys in their 20s and 40s, any random number playing WR or RB etc...
They’re letting the animals run the zoo.
In college, you can enter the transfer portal before the year is over?
The player have been changing their numbers late in the season,
Lots of dumb crap.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Ian Eagle just excitedly said that Lamar Jackson represents "historic change." How so??? He's like at least the 100th black QB to start over the past 20 years, and we're still waiting for the first one to show the kind of endurance that's the trademark of great White QBs.

Christian McCaffery should represent "historic change" but as we know nothing will change in the aftermath of his great career.

They have been pushing the black QB narrative for years - just have to keep repeating the lie so the programming continues for the millions of clueless fans out there.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Bryce Young currently averaging 3.3 YPA - real revolutionary stuff for the "historic" QBs.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
They have been pushing the black QB narrative for years - just have to keep repeating the lie so the programming continues for the millions of clueless fans out there.
It's like with so many other things in the Empire of Lies -- more and more people are finally catching on, gotta hope for a tipping point to be reached.

backrow

Hall of Famer
How’s Purdy looking? I’m stuck with the ravens versus Miami game.

Niners play calling leaves a lot to be desired. again they try and get cute when they are yards away from the goalline. CMC had a few carries trying for a TD with no lead blocking and got stopped. Purdy is playing OK.

however in the Dolphins game Jackson is actually playing lights out as they are beating Dolphins who are without Mostert and Hill. with that game, my guess is that it will be him that takes MVP if there still was a shadow of doubt... goddamn.