2023 Indoor Season

white lightning

Hall of Famer
For those of you who missed the 60 meter semifinals at the 2023 European Indoor Champs here it is. I have to
say it's amazing watching his starts and drive phases. Not a powerful looking guy but damn can he run. I'm
excited to see what Samule Ceccarelli can do over the 100 meters.

mqdefault.jpg

sprintstar

Mentor
Its a shame that Ireland is importing athletes as well. The Italian is all technique and relaxation....very fast dude!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This coming weekend will be the 2023 NCAA Indoor National Championships.

Matthew Boling will be entered in the 200 meters. It's a been a off year and his coach has to be partially
responsible for that. No short sprints all year. Not having him in the proper shape and it has effected his
confidence. Boling doesn't have that swagger and bounce in his step. He isn't confident and it's because
he has been losing quite a bit. This makes him tighten up even more as he trys to get back in the race
which only slows a sprinter down even more. Hopefully he can have a top 3 performance and get back
on the right track with outdoors starting in a couple of weeks time. I'm happy he is there at least so maybe
since he is the clear underdog now maybe he can go out and shock some people. It would be great to see
him get some confidence back. Despite how his indoor season was a disaster, I expect him to do better
outdoors. My only worry is that they try to push him to a 200/400 sprinter.

Please keep the kid where he belongs in the 100 and 200 meters. Let's hope he can regain his form of the last
few years. In my honest opinion I can't wait for him to go pro and who he picks as his coach will be the one of
the most important decisions of his life. Choose the right coach & the sky is the limit Matt!

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
This coming weekend will be the 2023 NCAA Indoor National Championships.

Matthew Boling will be entered in the 200 meters. It's a been a off year and his coach has to be partially
responsible for that. No short sprints all year. Not having him in the proper shape and it has effected his
confidence. Boling doesn't have that swagger and bounce in his step. He isn't confident and it's because
he has been losing quite a bit. This makes him tighten up even more as he trys to get back in the race
which only slows a sprinter down even more. Hopefully he can have a top 3 performance and get back
on the right track with outdoors starting in a couple of weeks time. I'm happy he is there at least so maybe
since he is the clear underdog now maybe he can go out and shock some people. It would be great to see
him get some confidence back. Despite how his indoor season was a disaster, I expect him to do better
outdoors. My only worry is that they try to push him to a 200/400 sprinter.

Please keep the kid where he belongs in the 100 and 200 meters. Let's hope he can regain his form of the last
few years. In my honest opinion I can't wait for him to go pro and who he picks as his coach will be the one of
the most important decisions of his life. Choose the right coach & the sky is the limit Matt!
Hey WL,

Thanks for your Track and Field knowledge and keeping us all in the loop about Boling (and others). Keep pulling and praying for the kid. Losing confidence is debilitating. Hopefully things will turn around fast. He, like many of our folk need positivity.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
He has the ability, he needs the belief .

Hoping he gets it back because he is extremely talented

white is right

Hall of Famer
Henrik Larsson, Samuelle Ceccarelli & Lamont Marcell Jacobs. The Fastest Men in Europe!

iu
It will be interesting to see what Ceccarelli does this outdoor season he could run a sub 10 if he doesn't fade in the last 40 meters. I remember Nagel and he didn't come close to run a sub 10 but in that era far less athletes were doing the still somewhat magical milestone.

I find it funny that the mysterious Jacobs has a slogan on his chest "I run clean", maybe this season but not in 21'....

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I am already very anxious to see what Ceccarelli can do outdoors. I am expecting a sub 10.10 for sure.
We really need him, because since Tortu a few years ago, there haven't been any top level European sprinters.
Right now, Ceccarelli, Boling, Charlie Dobson, and Rowan Browning are the best we have, in my opinion.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I am already very anxious to see what Ceccarelli can do outdoors. I am expecting a sub 10.10 for sure.
We really need him, because since Tortu a few years ago, there haven't been any top level European sprinters.
Right now, Ceccarelli, Boling, Charlie Dobson, and Rowan Browning are the best we have, in my opinion.
I agree Boling and Browning but Ceccarelli and Dobson have to prove it first. Indoors isn't where fame comes from
as you guys know. It's what you do outdoors and in major championships that makes you a household name.

Don't get me wrong. I'm just as excited & stoked about his potential as you jacknyc. I just want to see him back it up outdoors.

That being said I'm hopeful for Henrik Larsson and Julian Wagner to step it up this summer. Wagner ran 10.11 three times last
year and two of the races had no wind. He is on the verge. I thought he would do it last year but hopefully I was just a year off.
I also have a strong feeling now about Larsson. Remember a 10.20 at 19 years age and nothing since. I think he is finally healthy.

Charlie Dobson has great potential but he races a few times a year. He will have to also stay healthy & race more to have a chance.

Would be nice to see Kopec also make a run at it. He ran in the 6.50's most of the indoor season and finished with a 6.53!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is the starting list for the 2023 NCAA Indoor Championships.

We know Matthew Boling is in the 200 meters. Cole Beck is in the both the 100 and 200 meters. I really would love to see both
him and Boling do good as they are both seniors. This is their last rodeo in college indoors. Speaking of Cole Beck, will he give
up track and will he try to turn pro? He hasn't said much from what I've heard. It may depend how he does over these next few
months. I really hope he doesn't give up track. We already seem to have lost both Devin Quinn and Zach Jewell to early retirements.

sprintstar

Mentor
Personally I do not believe Boling has lost any confidence. I think he is being primed for the outdoor season for the 100 and 200m with the odd 400m thrown in. I truly hope he ditches the LJ for good. Remember after this outdoor season he will go pro for sure and like WL said the right coach can really help him. I will be watching his, Steiner's and Hunts(if healthy) progression this year with a keen eye. I believe Steiner will do extremely well over the 100/200/400m and she is drug free.........

mastermulti

Master
I agree Boling and Browning but Ceccarelli and Dobson have to prove it first. Indoors isn't where fame comes from
as you guys know. It's what you do outdoors and in major championships that makes you a household name.

Don't get me wrong. I'm just as excited & stoked about his potential as you jacknyc. I just want to see him back it up outdoors.

That being said I'm hopeful for Henrik Larsson and Julian Wagner to step it up this summer. Wagner ran 10.11 three times last
year and two of the races had no wind. He is on the verge. I thought he would do it last year but hopefully I was just a year off.
I also have a strong feeling now about Larsson. Remember a 10.20 at 19 years age and nothing since. I think he is finally healthy.

Charlie Dobson has great potential but he races a few times a year. He will have to also stay healthy & race more to have a chance.

Would be nice to see Kopec also make a run at it. He ran in the 6.50's most of the indoor season and finished with a 6.53!
I will be at Homebush Olympic Park this coming Saturday as I am competing in masters Shot and Discus there this weekend. After masters events the Sydney Grand Prix (or whatever they want to call it now) where the 100m women's and men's entries are as follows:

100M
WOMEN
ARISA KIMISHIMA, BREE MASTERS, EBONY LANE, ELLA CONNOLLY, HANA BASIC, NAA ANANG, TORRIE LEWIS, ZOE HOBBS,
KRISTIE EDWARDS, SAM GEDDES

100M MEN
JACK HALE, JACOB DESPARD, JAKE DORAN, JOSHUA AZZOPARDI, ROHAN BROWNING,
ANAS ABU GANABA, CALAB LAW, CONNOR BOND, EDDIE OSEI-NKETIA, SEBASTIAN SULTANA,

These guys are our best sprinters and in all stages of development, young to very experienced. If someone doesn't run fast in this scenario I'll be truly worried. Jacob Despard could well become the fastest ever sprinter from Tasmania and take the crown from the fading Jack Hale. Jacob ran 10.21 (-0.2) 6 weeks ago and it would be nice if he has peaked injury free.
Tasmania is our least populous state with 550,000 people.

Zoe Hobbs (11.07 last fortnight) and Gus Nketia (10.08PB) will be over from NZ.
Weather will be comfortably warm, maybe 27C.
Wind at this stage looks to be coming over the sprinter's left shoulders at about 3.5mps which may be legal taking into account it isn't right behind them :qpasaneng2:

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Division 3 Sophmore Sam Blaskowski ran a 6.67 and a 21.20 to qualify for both of the finals for the National Championships. This
young man set a New Championship Record today and he has been sensational all season long. He should be at a Divison 1 School
but he is white so we know about all the negative stereotypes. Good Luck to Sam B. tommrow. Hope he wins both gold medals.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Division 3 Sophmore Sam Blaskowski ran a 6.67 and a 21.20 to qualify for both of the finals for the National Championships. This
young man set a New Championship Record today and he has been sensational all season long. He should be at a Divison 1 School
but he is white so we know about all the negative stereotypes. Good Luck to Sam B. tommrow. Hope he wins both gold medals.
Blaskowski won the 60 finals and finished 2nd in the 200 meters. He was recently crowned mens track athlete of the year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Guys I'm pumped and stoked! Honest to God I was going to predict Boling runs a time of 20.10! Just a strong gut feeling. I wasn't
far off on my guess. Matthew Boling is the NCAA National 200 Meters Indoor Champion again for the 3rd time in his college career!
It's a World Leading time all Indoors, Championship Record and College Number 1 time in the nation! Way to go Boling! :campeon:

Results: Men 200 M (Finals)
PlAthleteTimeSec (pl)
UGA.png
Matthew BOLING
Georgia [SR]
20.121 (1)PB CL FR WL
BAMA.png
Tarsis OROGOT
Alabama [SO]
20.202 (1)
UF.png
Robert GREGORY
Florida [SO]
20.221 (2)PB
LOU.png
Cameron MILLER
Louisville [JR]
20.291 (3)
STAN.png
Udodi ONWUZURIKE
Stanford [SO]
(20.353)
2 (2)
UF.png
Jacory PATTERSON
Florida [SR]
(20.357)
2 (3)
FSU.png
Amir WILLIS
Florida State [JR]
20.562 (4)
ARK.png
Lance LANG
Arkansas [JR]
20.751 (4)

Last edited:

freedom1

Mentor
His experience is showing. He stays calm and saves himself for the big meet.

freedom1

Mentor
His indoor PB was 20.19, so this bodes really well for the coming outdoor season.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
What helped Boling here (and I thought it would), was that he was put in the slow heat.
Because he was the fastest qualifier in the slowest heat, he got the best lane.
Also, because he was in the slower heat, he was ahead the whole way, and didn't have to strain and press as he usually does when someone is running with him, or ahead of him.
Bottom line, he runs faster when he runs relaxed. And he runs relaxed when he is in front.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
His indoor PB was 20.19, so this bodes really well for the coming outdoor season.

Bolings winning time of 20.12 is the 6th fastest indoor 200 meters time ever run in the world. Finally a break through as
he was faster as as sophmore indoors over 200 meter than as a junior. He appears to finally have that extra gear back. I
too am pumped for outdoors as that is where the big money and fame come from. So many haters on youtube had been
saying that he was done and stick a fork in him. I don't like how he was coached this season but Boling got the last laugh.
What an incredible run.

mqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

icsept

Master
For those of you who missed the 60 meter semifinals at the 2023 European Indoor Champs here it is. I have to
say it's amazing watching his starts and drive phases. Not a powerful looking guy but damn can he run. I'm
excited to see what Samule Ceccarelli can do over the 100 meters.

mqdefault.jpg
Tyreek Hill ran a 6.7 60 meters and everybody is amazed. He’s the fastest player in the NFL. It’s like if Tyreek runs a 4.4 40 and Ceccarelli runs a 4.25

Warhawk_46

Master
Right? And Tyreek Hill is only around 26-27 I think… peek athletic time.

He is very fast and probably could have been a threat in the 60 and 100 if he focused on it. However, the press he gets when Andy Isabella is every bit as fast is frustrating. Why can’t they send Andy on fly routes and just let him blow by everyone? Of yeah, he is white so can’t have the blacks emasculated.

And think how forgotten Don Beebe is. He is only of the fastest players in NFL history. There haven’t been more than five people faster than him ever. He was THAT fast.

Phall

Master
Great time for Boling as well as redemption from the preliminaries - he says he's aiming for 19.7 outdoors this spring.
Fun little post-race interview, very humble. Apparently he has a woman coach this year :oops:

Texas Flash

Bolings winning time of 20.12 is the 6th fastest indoor 200 meters time ever run in the world. Finally a break through as
he was faster as as sophmore indoors over 200 meter than as a junior. He appears to finally have that extra gear back. I
too am pumped for outdoors as that is where the big money and fame come from. So many haters on youtube had been
saying that he was done and stick a fork in him. I don't like how he was coached this season but Boling got the last laugh.
What an incredible run.

mqdefault.jpg
How can you say you dont like the way he has been trained this season? I think that's premature and unfair. They cut the long jump which everyone wanted to see, they cut the number of races he ran, and they didnt have him running events all over the map. He stuck with just the 200m and the 400, mostly in the form of relays, and of course one 300m race. Yes, we'd all like to see him blast a 60m, but he has the rest of his pro career to do that. As it turns out he just won the 200m indoor national title in a personal best and against better competition then when he did it two years ago. I like what their strategy appears to be so far. And it looks like I may have been right with my 3-14-23 post that his team wasnt concerned about running fast during the indoor season and were simply focused on building a strong base for summer. We shall see. If they decide to cut the 100m from him then I would say that's a problem, but I dont think there is any reason to believe they will do that. Look how strong his relay legs have been! He's got a great base. If they cut the number of races in the outdoor season as well and continue to stay away from the long jump he's going to be in good shape especially when they start adding speed work to his training. So far they are doing it right this year as far as we can tell I would say.

If I were his coach I would skip next week's outdoor opener at the the Yellow Jacket Invitational and the Raleigh Relays the following week. I'd have him open at the Texas Relays March 31st and April 1st in the 100m. They do that, and if the weather is good I would expect him to set a new personal best.