2023 Indoor Season

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I think this must be the same Brandon Miller that we talked about when he was a high schooler in Michigan.
Then he ran for Grand Valley State. I guess he transferred to Kentucky.

Not sure what to think about Boling. He is still running tight and his form is rough. Let's see how he does outdoors...but I think he needs help, i.e, better coaching.

Texas Flash

Matthew Boling was beat again today. He just barely hung on for 2nd place by 1/100th of a second. Boling ran a 20.44 for second place
in the 2023 SEC Indoor Championships Mens 200 Meters Finals. He is alot slower than the last year or two. The coach in my opinion went
from one extreme(overracing) to underracing. Boling is not in the type of shape he should be at this stage. With multiple losses in
races this year I hope it really motivates him to come on strong in the outdoor season. That is where is really counts and that is what will
make him millions if he can constistantly go sub 10 and sub 20's. He is along ways away from that currently. At least he won't have to
worry about the NCAA Indoor Champs or at least I hope not. It's his senior year and his last chance to go out with a bang outdoors. So
I hope that coach and him work things out soon as he isn't dominant like he was last year. Time to scale up the training and races soon.
Especially as we get into April.

It's still a very fast time for Boling so it's not the end of the world. The Kentucky Sophomore Brandon Miller who I mentioned above ran
a new p.b. of 20.68 for 6th place. I'm excited to see how he does outdoors too!

Here is the race.

I wish Boling was running faster times too. But I think your assessment might be a bit premature. Boling competed 18 times last indoor season over the 60, 200, 4x400 and long jump. Assuming he competes in two rounds of the 200m and the 4x400 at Nationals he will then have competed 13 times indoors this year (if you're looking at the worldathletics.org page remember there is one 300m race and one 4x400 race not shown as that meet wasnt sanctioned) . This is a good bit less - 28% less to be exact. He cut out the 60m and the long jump. While I definitely want to see him compete in the 60m it might have been a good move for his last collegiate year. He's going to end up having 6 combined 400m and 4x400m races this indoor season! That's a lot!

What's happened to him the last two outdoor seasons?? He got slower as the seasons wore on as he competed way too much. I think his team might be accounting for that this year. No long jump. No competing over too many distances. Just building a base. I wouldnt be surprised either if he's not even doing any speed training right now. That would mean he is achieving everything so far on pure strength! If that's what's going on then I like the plan. If they cut a few more races this outdoor season then he might be in a position to make the US Team for Worlds.

He needs to relax more. But he did seem a little better in this department today and I give some benefit of the doubt here that if he hasnt done any speedwork then this makes sense. If you try to find a gear in competition that's just not there yet, then you're likely to muscle some in an attempt to find it. Oh, and he ran a 45.20 lead-off leg tonight! I also think a couple of weeks ago he ran a 45.17 lead-off leg so he's got a lot of strength right now. He might finally be ready to compete with the big boys this summer!

If this is what's happening imagine the results when he cuts training runs and adds speedwork! He's gonna find that relaxation, its gonna feel easy to him and he is going to fly. And then his confidence kicks in and who knows. He just has to be patient and stay healthy.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Adam Clayton of Scotland, running for Texas Tech, ran 6.65 in the 60m and 20.59 in the 200m, at the Big 12 Championships.
He took 3rd place in the 200m.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Mondo Duplantis breaks his own world record yet again. This guy is the most dominant track & field athlete in the world and
possibly to even compete in track and field. Duplantis went 6.22 meters today! I have no words for his imense talent! Congrats
on yet another world record! I have a strong feeling he will continue to go higher even though he has no competition.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Tentoglou though to the Long Jump Finals. Warholm the same as well as Ingbrigtesn in the 1500 meters.

Ewa Swoboda took the silver in the womens 60 meters with a seasons best of 7.09! She acutally didn't get
her usual rocket start but still held off D. Neita who got the bronze. Glad to see Rani Rosius run a 7.15 for a
new personal best for Belgium and she finished just out of the medals in 4th place.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
We just had an epic 3rd day of the 2023 European Indoor Championships. Some really nice performances. I will just touch
on two quick ones.

Karsten Warhom won the 400 meters gold medal. He ran a time of 45.35! The silver went to former short sprinter Julian Watrin
win a new Belgium National Record of 45.44! When he was young I thought he would be a better 100/200 sprinter as we talked
about him here but he is in the right event for him. The bronze medal went to the Swede Carl Bengstrom. So a 1/2/3 sweep!

The Mens 60 Meters was Red Hot. One of the best I've ever seen.

FIrst off in the semifinals Samuele Ceccarelli ran a new European Lead of 6.47! Fastest time by a white sprinter ever over 60 meters
and the kid is only 23 years of age. The New Italian Stallion. Larson went 6.56 again in the semis, Volko 6.58 & Kopec 6.59. So we
had 4 guys into the 60 meters finals. The stage was set for some history!

In the finals Samuele Ceccarelli won the gold medal holding off Lamont Marcell Jacobs. Ceccerelli won in a time of 6.48 beating
Jacobs in a 6.50. The bronze medal went to the Swedish Sprinter 6.53 for a new national record. It was a photo finish as the
Polish Sprinter Dominik Kopec also ran a 6.53! What a race with our guys finishing 3 of the top 4 spots including the gold & bronze
medals.

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
2023 European Indoor Championships
(Mens 60 Meters Finals)

maxres.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's hard to put into perspective what Samuele Ceccarelli did today winning the gold medal in the 60 meters. This kid has run faster
than even Morne Nagle and Richard Kilty. Running in the 6.40's is not very common but he did twice within a few hours.

He ran a 6.47 and followed in up with a 6.48 in the Finals. The pressure alone was immense. He has now beaten Lamont Marcel Jacobs
twice in the span of one weeks times. Jacobs has been virutally unbeatable on any stage. Safe to say Ceccarelli is as cool as ice and is
very head strong. Nerves get even the best of veteran sprints but this 23 year old Italian Sensation looked poised & relaxed. Hard to say
what he will do outdoors but we now we will see some blazing times. Will it equal some sub 10's? Only time will tell but I'm not gonna
predict it yet as he is the best starter in all of europe but the 100 meters is a whole different race. Either way he has time to work on it
in training to build his speed endurance. What an epic performance.

I'm just as impressed with Henrik Larsson. He ran a wind legal time of 10.20 as a 19 year old junior sprinter and has been plagued with injuries the
last 3 years. Unusual for someone so young but it happens. This year he has finally stayed healthy indoors and it shows. He has improved
the Swedish National 60 Meters Record 2 more times just today. He ran a 6.56 and then a 6.53 in the finals. I expect him to have a great
summer and finally break his 100 meters personal best times from 2019. I will say at minimum he goes 10.00 to 10.09! Hernik Larsson very
well may go sub 10 a few times this summer. It wouldn't suprise me. He's healthy & finally has his confidence back!

Last but not least let's give alot of credit to the Polish Sprinter Dominik Kopec. He ran a 6.53 out of lane 1. That's incredibly hard to do from
any lane yet along running blind on the outside lane. He has increased his 60 meter personal bests times twice this season too. He may
be ready to break through outdoors too. Kopec has been the most consistant Polish Sprinter all indoors and he deserves alot of praise!

Last edited:

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Where is everyone that posts on track at? The last couple of days were huge. It's not fun posting when no one comments
or posts things. Am I the only one excited? Let me touch on some positive things.

Even with less and less white sprinters on so many of the countries teams around Europe, our men and women have still
held up above average in my honest opinon. In 3 of the last 4 European Indoor Championships we have seen white sprinters
be crowned the fastest men in all of Europe! We saw Richard Kilty, Jan Volko and now Samuelle Ceccarelli.

Then add in the fact that we had 9 white sprinters run in the 6'50's or faster with 1 in the 6.40's. That is a slight increase
over the last few years. On top of that we have 3 guys with potential to challenge the 10 second barrier this summer that
we did not see coming just a year ago.

Samuelle Ceccarelli, Henrik Larsson and Dominic Kopec! All 3 guys have a chance to do this with times in the high 6'40's to low 6'50's!

This is exciting times guys! Outdoors cannot start soon enough. We need to get this track message board lighting up!

sprintstar

Mentor
The real Italian looked very very fast over 60m, he was not holding off Jacobs or Larsen he won going away.... Ingebritsen looks unstoppable and Bol is a beast! Sydney will have her hands full this outdoor season. Just wanted to add that Laura Muir is phenomenal, the only white distance runner who can push and beat the africans(PED users)!!!

Last edited:

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, Larson hit a 6.60 last year. So that 7 tenths is quite a jump. He should demolish his PB of 10.20 this summer.

freedom1

Mentor
I wonder what the Italians are doing training wise. Jacobs came onto the scene from nowhere, now Ceccelli.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Jacpb Ingebrigtsen won the double winning his 2nd gold in the 3000 meters today. With Ingebrigtsen, Warholm, Duplantis,
Tentoglou, Femke Bol and many others we are witnessing some historic all time performaces. It's so awesome to see so many
of these great europeans dominate their events on the track to become the best in the world!

In the mens long jump today M. Tentoglou won yet another gold medal. This is his 3rd straight european indoor championship. Legend!

A nice suprise in the mens 60 meter hurdles finals. 20 year old Jakub Symanski took the silver medal.

It's honestly crazy how good Norway and Poland have done. Especially Norway. Sander Skotheim looked amazing in the heptathlon. At only 20 years old. The Swedes have Larsson on top of Bengtstrom. The Swedes also have lots of young guys constantly getting better and better if Larsson breaks 10 seconds it will inspire even more Scandis to get into Track. Same with Poland and Norway. Very happy to see countries with not only smaller populations, but practically 0 foreigners in their T&F beat France, GB, Netherlands etc. Too bad about Jules Pommery I really wanted to see him and Kevin Mayer be the only French medalist.

It's honestly crazy how good Norway and Poland have done. Especially Norway. Sander Skotheim looked amazing in the heptathlon. At only 20 years old. The Swedes have Larsson on top of Bengtstrom. The Swedes also have lots of young guys constantly getting better and better if Larsson breaks 10 seconds it will inspire even more Scandis to get into Track. Same with Poland and Norway. Very happy to see countries with not only smaller populations, but practically 0 foreigners in their T&F beat France, GB, Netherlands etc. Too bad about Jules Pommery I really wanted to see him and Kevin Mayer be the only French medalist.
Just saw that Benjamin Robert won the 800m silver. On top of Adrian Ben with the Gold and Elliot Crestan silver

sprintstar

Mentor
I am extremely interested to see how Keely H handles Thething Mo this year. Keely looks so incredibly relaxed when she runs, has longer legs for her height and her acceleration is so smooth it is hard to believe she is full out at 600m to 800m. Where was Tortu this indoor season?