2022 NFL Draft

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Looks like they moved Kyle Phillips 40 to a 4.58.

Slade Bolden with a very average workout at 5'11 190lbs. 4.66 40 and 32 inch vertical. Kind of crazy Alabama offered him.

Brown QB EJ Perry has had a wonderful workout though! 4.65 40 and tested well in agility and jumps.

Jack Coan only ran a 4.9 40 but was Top 4 (along with fellow QB Perry) in 3-cone. He's got good agility/short speed.

Red Raider

Mentor
To be fair I do think that Malik Willis throw they keep showing might have been the best throw at the combine. However, they will not mention any of his other throws and they’re letting 1 throw overshadow all his other throws and all the hundreds of throws from the other QB’s. They’re just using one great pass to fuel their narrative. I watched the whole thing and he had plenty of bad passes especially on slants and outs.

Red Raider

Mentor

Slade Bolden with a very average workout at 5'11 190lbs. 4.66 40 and 32 inch vertical. Kind of crazy Alabama offered him.

Brown QB EJ Perry has had a wonderful workout though! 4.65 40 and tested well in agility and jumps.

Jack Coan only ran a 4.9 40 but was Top 4 (along with fellow QB Perry) in 3-cone. He's got good agility/short speed.
No disrespect to Bolden, but Thomas Hennigan, Britain Covey, Tanner Conner, and Jack Sorenson all deserved combine invites over him and would’ve performed better athletically. I do really hope he gets reunited with Mac Jones. Even though he is not very athletic and didn’t put up numbers in college does not mean he can’t still be a good slot receiver.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I don’t want to disparage Bolden. I don’t think it is fair to judge his productivity at Alabama because he was never more than the 4th or 5th option.

El Gringo

Mentor

Why are they changing the times on Pierce and Phillips 40s? Is the average of both of their runs?

Last edited:

Red Raider

Mentor
Why are they changing the times on Pierce and Phillips 40s? Is the average of both of their runs?
I think it’s just them going back and getting the official laser time, the one on TV is hand timed. I think they screwed up and forgot to correct Alec Pierce’s until this morning. Because last night they updated everyone, but Pierce stayed the same until this morning. Phillips I believe had his time updated last night.

Whoever the new hand timer is seemed to have a trigger happy finger because almost everyone’s time went down a significant amount when they got the laser times. Or maybe they did that on purpose for TV entertainment purposes??

For example on live tv Chris Olave ran a 4.26 and Twitter went crazy but when they announced the official times he actually ran a 4.39. To me that is unacceptable to be screwing up the times that bad.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I can't recall a single time the 40 time of a White player at the Combine was adjusted downward, i.e., made officially faster than originally posted. Maybe I'm wrong as I don't spend four days watching the Combine non-stop each year and keeping tabs on every single participant's 40 times and whether they're eventually adjusted or not, but if memory serves it's also not unusual for the times of Blacks to be adjusted so as to be faster than originally posted. It's also a media trick to report Black 40 times as faster than what was officially recorded at Indy and the opposite with Whites.

Red Raider

Mentor
I can't recall a single time the 40 time of a White player at the Combine was adjusted downward, i.e., made officially faster than originally posted. Maybe I'm wrong as I don't spend four days watching the Combine non-stop each year and keeping tabs on every single participant's 40 times and whether they're eventually adjusted or not, but if memory serves it's also not unusual for the times of Blacks to be adjusted so as to be faster than originally posted. It's also a media trick to report Black 40 times as faster than what was officially recorded at Indy and the opposite with Whites.
The only time I can recall is Andy Isabella because they screwed up his hand time so bad and it was like a 4.5 something when he really ran a 4.31 when it was corrected.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The Alec Pierce combine news is great! Really excited to see him go on day 2.

El Gringo

Mentor
I think it’s just them going back and getting the official laser time, the one on TV is hand timed. I think they screwed up and forgot to correct Alec Pierce’s until this morning. Because last night they updated everyone, but Pierce stayed the same until this morning. Phillips I believe had his time updated last night.

Whoever the new hand timer is seemed to have a trigger happy finger because almost everyone’s time went down a significant amount when they got the laser times. Or maybe they did that on purpose for TV entertainment purposes??

For example on live tv Chris Olave ran a 4.26 and Twitter went crazy but when they announced the official times he actually ran a 4.39. To me that is unacceptable to be screwing up the times that bad.
Thanks Red!

El Gringo

Mentor
I
It is hard to keep track of all their times. I don’t understand why things are so convoluted when it comes to the 40. With today’s technology it should be pretty cut and dry. Going from a 4.33 to a 4.41 is a big jump. Why not a 4.39?

Bucky

Hall of Famer
No disrespect to Bolden, but Thomas Hennigan, Britain Covey, Tanner Conner, and Jack Sorenson all deserved combine invites over him and would’ve performed better athletically. I do really hope he gets reunited with Mac Jones. Even though he is not very athletic and didn’t put up numbers in college does not mean he can’t still be a good slot receiver.

Agreed no disrespect to Bolden but that's what I was getting at! Would have loved to see those guys compete through the drills.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps Bolden being from Alabama and the SEC gave him an advantage over the snubbed overachievers as far as getting a Combine invite.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Definitely think Bama's prestige got him in. I guess I'll take it, Only 3 overachievers at WR.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Looks like some good performances for White OL.

Penning with a great workout. Should solidify himself as a player that goes between 20-32 in the first round.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Two undeserving black players that recieved both Senior Bowl and Combine invites are 5'11 233 lb "TE" Connor Heyward and 6'2 239 lb "TE" Jeremiah Hall. Both undersized and slow. Horvath and Ratkovich really couldn't get invites over guys like this? Come on.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Trevor Penning seems to be the closest thing to an Incognito/Romanowski type I can remember.

Red Raider

Mentor
Two undeserving black players that recieved both Senior Bowl and Combine invites are 5'11 233 lb "TE" Connor Heyward and 6'2 239 lb "TE" Jeremiah Hall. Both undersized and slow. Horvath and Ratkovich really couldn't get invites over guys like this? Come on.
Horvath at the combine would’ve been a lot of fun to watch, would’ve turned some heads for sure at RB or TE.

Ratkovich would’ve been a lot of fun to watch in the RB receiving drills, he was a really good receiver over the years.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer

Ryan Leaf has been the guest host on the Rich Eisen Show. This clip above is him talking about the QB workouts but he also had a good video the other day talking some about his downfall. He was in a rough spot for many years and looks like he has made it out on the other side.

Red Raider

Mentor
Max Borghi is not running the 40… damn I was really interested in seeing what his time was going to be.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Max Borghi is not running the 40… damn I was really interested in seeing what his time was going to be.

I saw that too. I figured he was a 4.4 guy. His 2019 season showed that he is perfect for today’s offense - a real dual threat both running and reviving.

Warhawk_46

Master
Why in the world would Borghi choose not to run?? Is he injured?

His draft stock has already dropped quite a bit from where it was two years ago. He is not doing himself any favors.

Edit: ... never mind, I see he rolled his ankle in a college all-star game and is being cautious. He will do the drills during WSU’s Pro Day at the end of the month.

Last edited:

Red Raider

Mentor
Just read an article and it looks like agents are the reason for all the guys opting out of drills at the combine. I guess the days of everyone participating in everything is gone… weird times these days.

Not sure what changed since the last combine in 2020, this is a brand new trend.

El Gringo

Mentor
What a complete joke! Heyward had 326 yards from scrimmage this year . Horvath and Ratkovich had at least double the stats and much more athleticism. They are probably better off running at their pro days than the combine to keep their 40 times from being rounded down. I’m not going to lie I did like to watch Heyward s dad IronHead Heyward, run the ball!

LB_nose

Bolden was getting open on Georgia’s guys. He can play. Kupp ran a 4.61. And it looks like the timers might be slow today, for certain players only you know. If he doesn’t get drafted he probably has a better shot at making the league.