2022-2023 College Basketball

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Just cruising the box scores and saw BYU lose to a team they’d normally beat. Have an average record by their standards. Then I remembered their new “dieverse” lineup that starts 3 upsiders. Then I saw the Utah Utes won their game in a blowout. They have a better record than the Cougars and play in a tougher conference. They start 4 stiff, upside-less honkeys….

Guess there is a new basketball king in Utah.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
... as to the discussion on Gradey Dick going to the NBA ... for some reason i’ve never come to understand, the NBA actually downgrades prospects the longer they stay in college. i am unwilling to advise Dick, because A) i don’t know his situation or goals, and B) i doubt if he reads Caste Football, but i will state authoritatively how the NBA feels: the NBA doesn’t evaluate based on collegiate production nor readiness to contribute to an NBA team. they evaluate almost solely on physical profile and “dat upside.”
as more evidence that (i understand) how the NBA does things, even though it goes counter to what seems rational, i submit the current tale of Arkansas “star” combo guard, Nick Smith.

Smith, who has played in parts of just 5 games (yes, you read that correctly, 5 games) as a collegian due to knee injury (and off-court drama), is unanimously regarded as a top-10 pick in the upcoming NBA draft.

“his numbers must be incredible!” you might think ... but you’d be wrong.

in the 117 total minutes that constitute his “career” for the Hogs, his numbers reveal a poor/very poor shooter (38% from the floor, 30% from 3) that puts up a high volume of shots (54 shots, or 1 shot about every 2 minutes). as a passer his virtual-1-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio (1.8 to 1.3) is undesirable. and as a big guard 6-foot-5), his 1.8 rebounds per game is not impressive. defensively, he has not shown willingness to guard on the ball or the instincts to play passing lanes off the ball (0.6 steals per game), despite his length and quickness.

so why is he so highly regarded by the “experts?” he has dat upside. duh!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Arizona got knocked off by lowly Washington State today, but it wasn’t Tubelis’ fault. he played like a monster, finishing with game-highs of 29 points (9-20 shooting) and 14 rebounds. unfortunately, no one else showed up ready to play. the rest of the starters combined shot a miserable 10-35, and they only got 2 points from their bench. OUCH!

Gradey Dick had an ultra-efficient game-high 16 points (on 4-7 shooting) in a Kansas win. everyone knows about his scoring, but he’s been showcasing his all-around game of late, having had a couple of game-highs in rebounding and assists recently.

the White frontline of Xavier has carried them to a top-25 ranking, and it continued tonight behind Zach Freemantle’s game-highs of 29 points (on 12-17 shooting) and 11 rebounds. Nunge had a quiet night, but guard Adam Kunkel had a very efficient 16 points (on 4-6 shooting). the Musketeers are looking strong.

Duke barely escaped Boston College, 65-64, due in large part to the strong play of starting post players Ryan Young (game-high 5 assists to ZERO turnovers, and 8 rebounds) and Kyle Filipowski (15 points and a game-high 9 rebounds).

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Appreciate the breakdowns JC! I watched the Wisconsin v Illinois game. Badgers were outplayed and couldn’t shoot a lick from 3! They were also without Tyler Wahl who is out with an ankle injury. 7foot Center Steven Crowl played well and Matthew Mayer was efficient as always for his new team Illinois. Mayer was having his way with true freshman Connor Essegian. Good experience for the youngster though!

jphoss

Mentor
Arizona got knocked off by lowly Washington State today, but it wasn’t Tubelis’ fault. he played like a monster, finishing with game-highs of 29 points (9-20 shooting) and 14 rebounds. unfortunately, no one else showed up ready to play. the rest of the starters combined shot a miserable 10-35, and they only got 2 points from their bench. OUCH!

Gradey Dick had an ultra-efficient game-high 16 points (on 4-7 shooting) in a Kansas win. everyone knows about his scoring, but he’s been showcasing his all-around game of late, having had a couple of game-highs in rebounding and assists recently.

the White frontline of Xavier has carried them to a top-25 ranking, and it continued tonight behind Zach Freemantle’s game-highs of 29 points (on 12-17 shooting) and 11 rebounds. Nunge had a quiet night, but guard Adam Kunkel had a very efficient 16 points (on 4-6 shooting). the Musketeers are looking strong.

Duke barely escaped Boston College, 65-64, due in large part to the strong play of starting post players Ryan Young (game-high 5 assists to ZERO turnovers, and 8 rebounds) and Kyle Filipowski (15 points and a game-high 9 rebounds).
I’m enjoying villanova’s quick descent. I was a fan of Jay Wright but he saw where the ncaa was taking sports- letting the inmates run the asylum. With 2 titles and 3 final fours in the last 6 years Nova could’ve hired a top notch coach to replace him but instead go with the ill prepared quota

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
For anyone interested Kansas and Gradey Dick will be playing Oklahoma tonight on ESPN2 at 9. Can't guarantee a lot of points, being the only white player in the starting five, but I know he'll play a great all-round game. He is probably NBA ready, but I hope he plays at least another year at Kansas.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
For anyone interested Kansas and Gradey Dick will be playing Oklahoma tonight on ESPN2 at 9. Can't guarantee a lot of points, being the only white player in the starting five, but I know he'll play a great all-round game. He is probably NBA ready, but I hope he plays at least another year at Kansas.
Rough outing for Dick. Only 8pts on 1 of 8 shooting.

Sophomore reserve forward Zach Clemence did chip in 10pts and 3 rebounds in only 12 minutes of action. Kansas would be wise to give the 6’10 big man more minutes.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Badgers lost again.. Falling to Michigan State.

Joey Hauser led Sparty. He was 6 of 8 with 20pts and 8 reb.

Badger big man Steven Crowl had 19pts but a measly 3 rebounds on 9 of 17 shooting.

Essegian with 13 off the bench. The freshman phenom was 3 of 4 from deep. He will replace the other Davis(zero points in 22min) as a starter soon enough.

Badgers are in trouble if Tyler Wahls injury keeps him out much longer.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Purdue is such a fun team to watch. I just can't seem to figure out why? Something seems different and only a few teams are similar
with everyone else not playing certain players. Hmmm, let me think about it some more?

i

I don't watch a ton of college hoops, but subjectively it feels like white representation is at least inching up a bit. A lot of honkeys highlighted in promos too. The "top athletes" are one and done or go straight to the G-League now, which gives our guys some opportunities. Would actually love to see more of that - half the affletes on the floor don't belong anywhere near an institution of learning. Purdue in particular is really something I don't remember seeing in a long time, probably ever. Couple that with the European talent coming into the NBA and there actually appears to be somewhat of a positive trend. Fingers crossed!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Rough outing for Dick. Only 8pts on 1 of 8 shooting
Dick good bounce back game today against number 14 Iowa State with 21 points. Kansas wins, barely 62-60.
Clemson's PJ Hall 18 first half points against Duke. Filipkowski 9.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Dick good bounce back game today against number 14 Iowa State with 21 points. Kansas wins, barely 62-60.
Clemson's PJ Hall 18 first half points against Duke. Filipkowski 9.
Great win for Clemson! Even with starting guard Alex Hemenway injured, they still manage to start 3 White athletes. The big man Hall finished with a game high 26 points. Team leading scorer, Hunter Tyson had a quiet night with 7. The 3rd White starter Ian Schieffelin played a major role. Only 6 points but 8 rebounds and 6 assists. At 15-3 now, Clemson should be ranked shortly.

For Duke, the freshman sensation had 18 points and 14 rebounds. Duke’s big problem is that other than Kyle, the other 5 star freshman have been dudes. Mitchell, Whitehead and Proctor all look fairly average. Then you have BSPN’s #1 ranked player in the 2022 class, center Dereck Lively (who looks anything but). The guy can’t crack the starting lineup and averages a measly 3.9 points and 3.3 rebounds. The only thing he does well is block shots but at 7’-1” that should be expected. But hey, he’s got endless upside I’m sure.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Glad Gradey bounced back!

3 losses in a row for Badgers with Tyler Wahl out.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Glad Gradey bounced back!

3 losses in a row for Badgers with Tyler Wahl out.
Yeah the AZ Wildcats have lost 2 out 3 games now after playing so good all year. Well they will fall out of the top 10 but they will be fine.
Better to lose now than in March when it counts!

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Yeah the AZ Wildcats have lost 2 out 3 games now after playing so good all year. Well they will fall out of the top 10 but they will be fine.
Better to lose now than in March when it counts!
I watched AZ get dominated by All Black Oregon last night. Mid season rough patch for them as well. Hopefully them and UW can bounce back come March.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I watched AZ get dominated by All Black Oregon last night. Mid season rough patch for them as well. Hopefully them and UW can bounce back come March.
To be fair Oregon is not the worst. They start sophomore big man Nate Bittle. SO guard Brennan Rigsby is one of the 1st three guys off the bench. Not great, but they have been all-black in years past so this is actually an improvement.

In an early game today, Marquette leads Xavier at the half. The 3 White starters for Xavier have been mentioned numerous times but what caught my eye today was 3rd year (listed as SO even after playing 2 full seasons) guard Tyler Kolek. He averages 9 ppg for the Golden Eagles but has 20 already at the half. Hopefully he keeps it up and has a career day.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Was Casually watching at the bar so Good to hear Oregon has a few gym rats in the rotation! I was definitely hoping for a AZ win though.

Kolek has thrived under Shaka Smart! I’ll take it. When watching Wisconsin vs Marquette earlier this season, thought Kolek stood out as one of best players on the court.

icsept

Master
Saint Mary’s is on ESPNU vs. Pepperdine. The Gaels are 16-4 (5-0). Featuring 6 White guys plus 1 octaroon. Including Augustus Marciulionis, son of the great Lithuanian and Golden State Warrior, Sarunas Marciulionis. Good looking squad.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Saint Mary’s is on ESPNU vs. Pepperdine. The Gaels are 16-4 (5-0). Featuring 6 White guys plus 1 octaroon. Including Augustus Marciulionis, son of the great Lithuanian and Golden State Warrior, Sarunas Marciulionis. Good looking squad.
Damn I picked a great night to hit the hay early! :confused:

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Caste matchup on right now (ABC) with Arizona leading UCLA.

The #5 Bruins have predictably blackened under Cronin. It probably bothers him a great deal that his best player is Jaquez Jr (an actual White Hispanic not a George Zimmerman). Once he’s gone next year, it’s pretty much a guarantee that Cronin will field teams with 100% black rotations like he did at Cincinnati. Of course he’ll have a few White or jewish nerds filling out the bench to do the homework for the African players.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Caste matchup on right now (ABC) with Arizona leading UCLA.

The #5 Bruins have predictably blackened under Cronin. It probably bothers him a great deal that his best player is Jaquez Jr (an actual White Hispanic not a George Zimmerman). Once he’s gone next year, it’s pretty much a guarantee that Cronin will field teams with 100% black rotations like he did at Cincinnati. Of course he’ll have a few White or jewish nerds filling out the bench to do the homework for the African players.
The AZ Wildcats hung on to win over UCLA by a score of 58-52. A much needed win over a top 5 team as the Wildcats have been
struggling. Tubelis led the way with 14 points and 10 rebounds but he didn't shoot the ball well. Glad they survived!

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The AZ Wildcats hung on to win over UCLA by a score of 58-52. A much needed win over a top 5 team as the Wildcats have been
struggling. Tubelis led the way with 14 points and 10 rebounds but he didn't shoot the ball well. Glad they survived!
Good win as this should leap them over UCLA and back to the top 4-6 range.

Another good game, if anyone wants an alternate to the NFL game, is Clemson vs Virginia Tech. Both teams starting 3 White athletes today. Clemson has also moved into the top 25 with their great play of late.