2022-2023 College Basketball

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the all-White Saint Mary’s Gaels, despite being unranked (and obviously unathletic), continue to look like an NCAA tournament team (as well as a team that should be playing in the local rec league). last night they gave #1-ranked Houston all they could handle before finally falling, 48-53.

the Gaels defense was superb, holding Houston to just 36.8% shooting and out rebounding the “high flying” Cougars 36-27. while Houston, also an excellent defensive team, held Saint Mary’s well below its shooting average it was turnovers that made the difference. the Gaels had 17, while Houston had just 5. those 12 extra possessions made the difference.

i look for Randy Bennett’s Gaels to be a VERY difficult matchup for whomever they face in the postseason.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
#5 Purdue had an all-White starting 5 (if you count Edey) last night. They scored 89 points and easily defeated Minnesota. The bench featured an additional pale face so their rotation was 6 out of 9 Whites.

They look like they’ve got a great shot at a deep tournament run with Edey developing into a totally unstoppable beast.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Good to see Purdue cruising along!

Wisconsin plays Maryland tonight in a Caste Matchup if anyone is interested.

El Gringo

Mentor
#5 Purdue had an all-White starting 5 (if you count Edey) last night. They scored 89 points and easily defeated Minnesota. The bench featured an additional pale face so their rotation was 6 out of 9 Whites.

They look like they’ve got a great shot at a deep tournament run with Edey developing into a totally unstoppable beast.
I’ll take Purdue and that giant chinaman all day long!! I read an article and for some reason I can’t find it now, but Painter shifted his recruiting from 1 and done to team players.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
did anyone else catch the surprising loss by #7 Creighton to Nebraska? the best player on the court was Nebraska’s lone White starter: Sam Griesel.

Griesel, a 6-foot-7 point guard in his first year at Nebraska after transferring from North Dakota State, is an interesting player. a native Nebraska kid, he’s quickly assumed a leadership role with this unfortunately non-native roster of Cornhuskers.

the literal and figurative bright spot for the Huskers had 18 points (on 7-13 shooting), a game-high 12 rebounds , a game-high 7 assists, and 2 steals with just 2 turnovers in 39 (of the game’s 40) minutes.

in the loss, Creighton’s 2 White starters played well, with both totaling double-doubles. Kalkbrenner finished with 10 points (5-8 shooting), 10 rebounds, 2 assists, a blocked shot, and a steal with 2 turnovers in 32 minutes. Scheierman had 10 points (4-12 shooting), and team-highs of 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals (a game-high) to go with 3 turnovers in 32 minutes.

Gonzaga isn’t looking like the teams of old, either in appearance or performance. in their latest outing, they escaped lowly Kent State by riding Drew Timme and scoring the game’s last 11 points.

Timme was dominant, with game-highs of 29 points (11-16 shooting) and 17 rebounds to go along with team-highs of 4 assists and 2 blocks with 2 turnovers in 38 minutes. the All-American’s only blemish was shooting a poor 7-12 from the free throw line.

edited to correct spelling.

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
despite being their lone White (regular) starter, Kyle Filipowski is the best player on the Duke Blue Devils. the 7-foot freshman can guard multiple spots, is a scoring threat at all three levels (albeit still very raw), has scored in double figures every game thus far, and has double digit rebounds in 6 of Duke’s 11 games. he’s got the total package.

and for what it’s worth, he’s won the ACC freshman of the week every time they’ve awarded it so far this year.

(unfortunately as a fan) i don’t look for him to stick around the college game for long.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Iowa, and their three White starters, absolutely TORCHED Iowa State tonight in the annual Cy-Hawk rivalry game behind a tremendous night by Filip Rebraca. the undersized 5 had a double-double with game-highs of 22 points (9-11 shooting), 11 rebounds, and 3 blocked shots. he also tied for a team-high with 4 assists and only 2 turnovers in 37 minutes.

Connor McCaffrey added a career-high 14 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, and 2 steals with ZERO turnovers in 36 minutes. Patrick McCaffrey added 13 points.

Iowa was without starter, and leading scorer, Kris Murray (injury), but you wouldn’t have known by how they played. with Connor Mac in the starting lineup, the Hawkeyes jumped to a 15-0 lead and never looked back. they led by as many as 28 in the second half before taking their foot off the gas.

Phall

Master
True freshman Fletcher Loyer with 22 points to keep #4 Purdue undefeated in Nebraska. He was ranked as the #121 player out of high school last year.

Zach Edey with a monstrous 11 points, 17 rebounds, and 7 blocks on the day. With Mason Gillis missing the game, Purdue started an all-white (counting Edey) team.

On a similar note, St. Mary's defeated #22 San Diego State 68-61.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The 10th ranked U of A Wildcats play the 14th ranked Indiana Hosiers. It's unfair that the 1 loss dropped Arizona from
being ranked 4th to now being ranked 10th. I think the people the do the rankings don't like seeing heavily laden white teams ranked too high. They must really hate Purdue as well. Lol.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Watched a little bit of the Kansas/Missouri game. Grady Dick scored 12 of the first 30 points, but only ended up with 16. It seems he starts quickly and all but disappears in the second half. Maybe the brothas don't want the freshman honky outscoring them?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The 10th ranked U of A Wildcats play the 14th ranked Indiana Hosiers. It's unfair that the 1 loss dropped Arizona from
being ranked 4th to now being ranked 10th. I think the people the do the rankings don't like seeing heavily laden white teams ranked too high. They must really hate Purdue as well. Lol.
U of A wins again defeating Indiana with ease. Their 3 white starters all had great games with Tubulis leading the way with 21 points!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
perhaps someone else has noticed, but it has certainly slipped by me until today ...

Virginia Tech is 10-1 on the season, and they start 3 White athletes, including their numbers 1, 2, and 4 scorers.

probably their best overall player is 6-foot-1 sophomore point guard, Sean Pedulla. he leads the team in scoring (17.0 per game) and assists (3.8) and is a solid rebounder (3.2) despite his lack of height. he is also shooting a sparkling 50% from the floor, primarily because of his ability to get in the lane.

senior forward Grant Basile is also in contention for the team’s top overall player, as he’s the second leading scorer (14.8) and rebounder (5.8) as well as their top shot blocker (2.1). he’s also a solid passer (2.0 assists per game).

senior guard Hunter Cattoor is the team’s 4th scorer 9.8 points per game) and contributes on the glass (3.8 rebounds). he’s a long range marksman.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i just finished watching a terrific game between Iowa (who is still without Kris Murray) and Wisconsin. it went to overtime, and both teams played with a great deal of energy and intensity. it felt like i was watching an end-of-year tournament game.

how is this level of play possible, when most of the game featured 8 gym rats on the floor at a time (and sometimes more)?

here’s hoping both of these teams have strong finishes during their conference run.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
perhaps someone else has noticed, but it has certainly slipped by me until today ...

Virginia Tech is 10-1 on the season, and they start 3 White athletes, including their numbers 1, 2, and 4 scorers.

probably their best overall player is 6-foot-1 sophomore point guard, Sean Pedulla. he leads the team in scoring (17.0 per game) and assists (3.8) and is a solid rebounder (3.2) despite his lack of height. he is also shooting a sparkling 50% from the floor, primarily because of his ability to get in the lane.

senior forward Grant Basile is also in contention for the team’s top overall player, as he’s the second leading scorer (14.8) and rebounder (5.8) as well as their top shot blocker (2.1). he’s also a solid passer (2.0 assists per game).

senior guard Hunter Cattoor is the team’s 4th scorer 9.8 points per game) and contributes on the glass (3.8 rebounds). he’s a long range marksman.

Phall

Master
Donovan Clingan, who is UConn coach Dan Hurley's first-ever white recruit, put up 21 points and 11 rebounds in a blowout win against LIU this weekend. The 7'2, 265 freshman center has already put in a lot of work at the gym to improve his strength and lateral movement. Since the NBA currently ignores "traditional" centers, Clingan looks like he's slated to be a top collegiate player for the next few years in the Hunter Dickinson / Zach Edey mold. UConn is currently 11-0 and ranked #3.

Donovan-Clingan.jpg

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Donovan Clingan, who is UConn coach Dan Hurley's first-ever white recruit, put up 21 points and 11 rebounds in a blowout win against LIU this weekend. The 7'2, 265 freshman center has already put in a lot of work at the gym to improve his strength and lateral movement. Since the NBA currently ignores "traditional" centers, Clingan looks like he's slated to be a top collegiate player for the next few years in the Hunter Dickinson / Zach Edey mold. UConn is currently 11-0 and ranked #3.

Donovan-Clingan.jpg
thanks for sharing this.

i have a special kind of anger when i think about White men like Danny Hurley (and his dad, Bob). they’ve purposely dedicated their lives to helping exclusively young black men succeed in life, pointedly eschewing their own.

while obviously gifted as coaches (and the two Hurley boys were excellent players), their personal compass is wildly skewed, in my opinion. just think how many White kids they could’ve helped over the decades, even if they weren’t specifically trying to help White kids. say, they were just focused on helping “underprivileged” boys, then they’d at least occasionally help some White kids who needed it. but instead, they go out of there way to help black kids.

i loathe them with a special intensity.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Purdue is now the number 1 ranked team in all of college basketball. Congrats to all the lunchpail guy squad!
Way to shove all their anti white hatred down their throats! White Basketball Power on display here!

Phall

Master
thanks for sharing this.

i have a special kind of anger when i think about White men like Danny Hurley (and his dad, Bob). they’ve purposely dedicated their lives to helping exclusively young black men succeed in life, pointedly eschewing their own.

while obviously gifted as coaches (and the two Hurley boys were excellent players), their personal compass is wildly skewed, in my opinion. just think how many White kids they could’ve helped over the decades, even if they weren’t specifically trying to help White kids. say, they were just focused on helping “underprivileged” boys, then they’d at least occasionally help some White kids who needed it. but instead, they go out of there way to help black kids.

i loathe them with a special intensity.

I was a bit off apparently: PF Alex Karaban was Danny Hurley's first white scholarship player from the 2021 class. He actually commited after Clingan, but enrolled midway through last season in January of 2022 and redshirted, which is probably why we missed him here. Karaban is now a starter and averages just shy of 10 and 4 per game. Hurley also added grad transfer Joey Calcaterra from San Diego, and he averages about 9 and 3 in 20 minutes per game as the first or second player off the bench. You add that to Clingan's 10.5 points and 6.7 boards averages, and this #3 UConn might actually be one to root for. I had no idea until tonight that they average 30 ppg from their white players.

Hurley even filled out his roster with an Israeli forward, Yari Hasson, and a Greek swingman, Apostolos Roumoglou, although they aren't in the rotation as true freshman. The 247 site doesn't feature either one as prospects, so again, easy for us to miss here. Both are said to be on scholarship, though.

There was a poster here who called out Jim Boeheim for only adding white players once his son Buddy joined the team. I thought that was a wild theory at the time. Hurley's son Andrew is now a junior walk-on guard, and the timeline actually checks out that his father brought in some guys that he would get along with after a lonely first year. All very unscientific, of course!

The Hurley family story is quite unique. The patriarch, Bob Hurley Senior, scored a job at age 25 coaching a small Catholic high school in Jersey City, NJ, which was shifting from a blue-collar suburb to a ghetto. Hurley Sr. coached the team up to national prominence and won 28 state championships in 45 years. I don't know the roster composition exactly, but I imagine that his sons were two of the only white players on his teams. Bob Sr. frequently turned down college jobs, likely because he was getting rich not from his parochial coaching salary, but from brokering arrangements for his players like college scholarships and shoe endorsements. This would have been "off the books" and unlikely to be mentioned in any family-approved hagiography. It stands to reason that his sons absorbed a lot of their racial perspective from their father, whose philanthropy with the "underprivileged" conveniently provided the means to a very lucrative end. The Hurley family now holds considerable real estate in New Jersey and owns and breeds thoroughbred race horses.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Drew Timme continues to stake his claim as college basketball’s best player (and certainly its best low post scorer).

in his latest effort, Timme efficiently outscored the rest of Gonzaga’s starters by himself. the ‘Stache scored 26 (on 9-16 shooting), while the “more affletic” starters combined for 20 points (on 8-27 shooting).

the other news of note for the Zags is the continuing emergence of sophomore post, Ben Gregg. according to the “experts” (and the fanboys who love star rankings), Gregg was going to be an afterthought due to all the “talent” on the roster. well, his talent has finally had a chance to reveal itself over the past couple games, and he’s made it count. last night in just 17 minutes, Gregg scored 18 points (6-11 shooting), snared 7 rebounds, and had 3 steals. if production counts for anything, he should continue to get increased run.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the Saint Mary’s Gaels have gotten back on track behind sparkling 3-pt shooting and the emergence of freshman guard Aidan Mahaney.

after starting the season off with 6 straight victories, the Gaels dropped 3 straight, though all three losses were by 5 points or less (and one was in overtime). now they’ve started a new streak by winning 3 straight, including a solid win over then #22 SDSU.

in their latest run, they’ve seen hot 3-pt shooting from Alex Ducas and superb all around play from Mahaney, who has now been named WCC freshman of the week 3 times.

Xavier is a team that doesn’t get talked about very much, but they’re a very good team for us to pull for. they’re currently 8-3 on the year, with all 3 losses coming in very competitive games against top teams: a 2-point loss to then #12 Indiana, a 4-point loss to then #6 Gonzaga, and a 7-point loss to then #4 Duke. they’ve now rattled off 4-straight wins, including victories over very solid teams West Virginia and on the road against Cincinnati.

the Musketeers start 3 White athletes. Jack Nunge, an Iowa transfer, is a 7-footer with a face-up game and good shot blocking instincts. Zach Freemantle is a bouncy and rugged 6-foot-9 forward who is a versatile defender. Adam Kunkel, a 6-foot-4 wing, is an all-around contributor on both ends of the floor who occasionally can explode from 3-pt range. all three are double digit scorers, with Nunge and Freemantle the top two rebounders and shot blockers.

freshman Kam Craft is a 6-foot-6 guard who sees quite a bit of action off the bench.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Excellent work JimmyChitwood. I have'n't been able to watch too much college basketball yet and I look forward to the updates here.
I've watced more nba and football but need to watch more of the NCAA. I still think March Madness is as exciting as it gets. Like the
super bowl it's win or go home. I know that's 3 months away still but it's such a fun time of the year.

Arizona plays Tennessee in a top 10 matchup in a couple of days. This should be on national tv and it's gonna be a great game. Go Cats!

Phall

Master
Wisconsin was picked ninth in the CBS Sports Big Ten preseason poll -- and the Badgers might actually eventually finish that far down in the standings. As always, we'll see. But there's no denying that they're off to a better-than-expected start to this season — more specifically a 9-2 start thanks to a winning streak that was extended to four games Thursday night when Wisconsin beat Lehigh 78-56 inside the Kohl Center.

Connor Essegian was good again.

He's a 6-foot-4 guard who was only ranked 226th in the Class of 2022, according to 247Sports. Regardless, Essegian has been an impactful first-year player. He got 13 points and six rebounds in 20 minutes against Lehigh and is now averaging 10.6 points points per contest while shooting 46.2% from 3-point range.

"He got going, made some shots and gave us some energy," said Wisconsin coach Greg Gard. "Connor moves well without the ball, and he gets in a rhythm. He's a good player."

Wisconsin remains No. 22 in Friday morning's updated CBS Sports Top 25 And 1 daily college basketball rankings. The Badgers are one of five Big Ten schools in the Top 25 And 1 with the others being No. 1 Purdue, No. 10 Indiana, No. 17 Illinois and No. 20 Ohio State. Wisconsin's 9-2 record is highlighted by Quadrant 1 wins over Marquette and Iowa. The Badgers' only losses are a 69-68 loss to Kansas in overtime and a 78-75 loss to Wake Forest. So that's two losses by a combined four points to a couple of power-conference schools, one of which is the reigning national champion.

connor_bio_header.jpg

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
there are a bunch of talented freshmen out there this year, so i thought i’d throw out my early nominations for the CF freshman all-American starting lineup.

point guard - Fletcher Loyer (Purdue) - the 6-foot-4 playmaker has become a stalwart leader for the Boilermakers (currently ranked #1 in the nation). a guard who can create for his teammates while not turning the ball over is tough to find regardless of classification, but he’s doing so as a true freshman! he currently ranks in the top-10 nationally in assist-to-turnover ratio. he’s also completely capable of scoring for himself, and has done so in double digits for the last 6 games. he’s not just a shooter, either. he can break down a defense and get into the lane or finish at the rim (as his viral dunk from a couple games ago can attest). the already-two-time Big Ten freshman of the week is poised to make a historic run for Purdue (along with freshman backcourt mate Braden Smith).

combo guard - Aidan Mahaney (Saint Mary’s) - at 6-foot-3, Mahaney can either run the point or play off the ball. his midrange game is a thing of beauty, and he’s already emerging as a go-to scorer for the Gaels. he’s averaging nearly 14 points per game while shooting a superb 42.6% from 3-pt range. he’s also collecting nearly 3 rebounds and almost 2 assists per contest. not surprisingly, he’s already won WCC freshman of the week honors 3 times this year.

Wing - Gradey Dick (Kansas) - a 6-foot-8 guard with athleticism and shooting prowess, Dick is already developing a knack for playing passing lanes on the defensive end. his 15.3 scoring average leads the Big 12 freshman class, and his 24 three-point field goals made rank second in the league.

Stretch four - Kyle Filipowski (Duke) - a versatile 7-footer, Filipowski became the first ever player to win ACC freshman of the week for the first four weeks of a season. he’s scored in double figures in every game this season (the only Blue Devil to do so). he’s also put up double-doubles in half Duke’s games, the most by any freshman in the country and the 4th-most overall. enjoy him while you can, because he’ll be gone soon. he is averaging 14.8 points, 9.2 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 1.5 steals, and 0.8 blocks, while shooting 43.2 percent from the field, 33.3 percent from three, and 81.5 percent from the charity stripe.

Center - Donovan Clingan (UConn) - a
7-foot-2 center out of Bristol Central High School, Clingan has played an important part in UConn’s strong start. the big man was named the Big East freshman of the week after averaging 18.5 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in 17 minutes per game in wins over Long Island University and Florida. he also made 18 of 19 field goals during that stretch. on the season, Clingan is averaging 10.5 points as well as a team best 6.9 rebounds and 2.1 blocks. most of Clingan’s baskets have come by either dunks or putbacks. he’s shooting a team-leading 75 percent from the field.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Connor Essegan, mentioned in Phall’s post above, is an outstanding player. he’s got a swagger that more White kids could use, too. he’s not arrogant; he’s just supremely confident in his ability due to the work he’s put in and the talent he was blessed with. he could play on my team any day (and i actually considered putting him on my all-freshman team).