2010 Week 16

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
A pretty lackluster game is on tonight, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Danny Woodhead and Co. do against Buffalo.
I'd like to see Peyton Hillis go for more than 100 against the Ravens, although it will take a marked change in offensive play-calling and line play for it to happen.
Hopefully Danny Amendola and the Rams whoop the 49ers.
I doubt Jacob Hester or Brian Leonard get many carries against each other this week, but it doesn't hurt to hope!
I like Eli Manning, but I'm hoping the Packers beat the Giants.
The Colts will miss Austin Collie, but Blair White and Jacob Tamme will pick up the slack.
Toby Gerhart is said to be getting more carries this week, even if Peterson is doing better, and it would be great to see him get 100 yards on the ground.
There are other games of course, but those are the ones I'm interested in.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Some of the DWFs want Carolina to get Cam Newton, not necessarily with the Top 5 pick that they'll likely get, though...

They think he can be paired with Jonathan Stewart and Mike Goodson and it can be like "Vince Young and Chris Johnson"... DeAngelo William's future with Carolina is up in the air as he will be a free agent.

Yeah, Cam will work "his magic" behind that sumo-line and with a VERY underwhelming "receiving corps." And, Carolina's defense will likely still be seriously flawed even when (LB) Thomas Davis returns next season.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
They think he can be paired with Jonathan Stewart and Mike Goodson and it can be like "Vince Young and Chris Johnson"... DeAngelo William's future with Carolina is up in the air as he will be a free agent.
The DWF's are more right than they know. I expect sCam Newton to be very similar to head case AHDIW in his NFL career. Young is massively hyped, as Newton will be, but has very pedestrian (read: bad) statistics for his career thus far, and I don't expect him to ever have the work ethic that is necessary to excel, assuming that it's possible for him to do so. At least, to his credit, Michael Vick is rumored to be among the hardest-working Eagles, putting in tons of film time. I don't expect the same of Young or Newton.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Besides so many media "experts" writing (hoping) that Hillis is wearing down, the other big story for Sunday getting a lot of play is the Ravens' determination to shut Hillis down in the rematch of Week 3, when Peyton rushed for 144 yards against what was supposed to be Baltimore's impregnable run defense.

Given the Browns' woeful group of receivers and lack of imagination in the play calling of runs, it looks favorable for the Ravens. But -- if Hillis can have another big game, that would really be huge for his status and reputation.The game'sat Cleveland, which should help. The Browns have been playing hard every week, so maybe TheJuggernaut can do it again.

Hillis won't sneak up on Ravens this time

By Dan Kolko, <ABBR title=2010-12-24T10:38:04-05:00>December 24, 2010 10:38 AM</ABBR> | 0 Comments

When the Ravens faced the Browns back on Sept. 26, Peyton Hillis was still mostly known as the guy who Cleveland had acquired from the Broncos (along with a sixth-round draft pick) in return for the useless Brady Quinn.

Going into that game, the Ravens knew Hills would start for the Browns at running back, but they admit that they didn't really have a good idea of what they were up against.

"I think the first time that we played him, first of all, nobody really knew who he was," defensive coordinator Greg Mattison said.

Hillis torched the Ravens for 144 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries in that Week 3 matchup. He ripped off a 48-yard run, a 25-yard run, and plowed through the Ravens for what was then a career-best day.

This time, you can bet the Ravens will know what to expect when they see the third-year running back this Sunday in Cleveland.

"We watched a little bit of film this morning on our first game, and it just wasn't good," linebacker Jarret Johnson said. "Nobody really wanted to watch. Everybody was wanting to get up and go to the bathroom. He's a good running back, really good scheme, and it's a really big challenge for us this week."

"Obviously, he's a really talented guy," head coach John Harbaugh said. "He complements their offensive line very well. They come off the ball. They're very physical. They run pretty much every I-formation running scheme there is, and they do it really effectively. And that's the kind of back he is. So, they just complement each other well.

"He's a hard runner. He's tough to bring down. If he gets in your secondary, he's really tough to bring down."

Hillis has followed up his big game against the Ravens by posting four more games of at least 100 yards rushing. He has 1,129 rushing yards on the season, and 13 total touchdowns (11 on the ground, two through the air).

Along the way, he's showed off his toughness, his speed - for a big guy - and his surprising pass catching ability.

In addition to the damage he's done on the ground, the three-year veteran, who checks in at a rugged 6-1, 240 pounds, also leads the Browns in receptions with 59 and is second on the team in receiving yards with 469.

"He's got incredible hands - like Ray Rice's-type hands," Cleveland coach Eric Mangini said. "I mean, they're both guys that seem to catch everything that's thrown to them."

As they've studied Hillis this week, the Ravens have found a couple chinks in his armor.

Hillis has a tendency to put the ball on the ground (he has eight fumbles on the season, five of which have been lost), and he struggles if you can force him to slow his momentum and change directions in the hole.

"He doesn't really like to run sideways and cut down," defensive tackle Haloti Ngata said. "So, we know that if we just close those holes for him to go through, then he's going to have to run sideways, and we can probably get him better that way."

That was information that the Ravens might not have had when they faced Hillis back in September. This time, they say they'll be prepared for what the bruising running back will bring at them.

"Now we know what to expect," defensive end Cory Redding said, "and we can come out there and play good football."
http://www.masnsports.com/dan_kolko/2010/12/hillis-wont-sneak-up-on-ravens-this-time.html

foobar75

Master
The above article essentially echoes the same story of the defenses of the last 6-7 teams the Browns have played. They've all had the same goal, and that is to stop Peyton Hillis. So, he's getting his proper respect now from the other coaches and opponents, when their primary objective and game plan is to stop Hillis.

I'm sure Hillis is worn down a bit, no different that any other feature back in the league. Jones-Drew is apparently hurt and will most likely not play this Sunday. Adrian Peterson missed last week and has been banged up since the WAS game. Frank Gore dislocated his hip a few weeks ago and is out for the year. Joseph Addai, an average back at best, yet effective enough to compliment Manning's passing attack, has missed 8 weeks. So, all this talk about the white running back being worn down and not tough enough to be a workhorse back is hogwash as usual.

I'm worried about the extremely questionable play calling and lack of support from the rest of the offense. Those are the things that can slow down Hillis, not the Baltimore defense, and certainly not Hillis himself. Here's hoping he has a good game.

Also, despite all their hardships, the Packers are in a very good situtation and control their destiny. According to play-off scenarios that were discussed on ESPN, if the Packers win their next 2 games, both at home, they are in. You can't ask for more than that, and I'll be rooting from them this weekend and next.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
The Giants' will attack Aaron Rodgers' (by blitzing continuously) and try to give him another concussion; knock him out of the game.

Also, Clay Matthews' and A.J. Hawk were getting abused against New England, and, if they don't step up against the NY running-game, it's all over for Green Bay.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Someone please take the eggnog from Matt Millen. Horrible does not begin to describe this guy's announcing.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Witten is on pace for over 1,000 yards receiving and isn't very far from it right now. He's the leading TE in receiving yardage in the NFL and 16th overall right now.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jason Witten is 44 yards from 1,000 with 1 game to go. I sure hope he breaks 1,000 next week.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Max Komar ended up with 3 catches for 31 yards including a crucial first down to set up the winning field goal.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
John Skelton played mistake-free ball the entire game. He was sacked just once, had no picks, and made some clutch plays. With his size, strength, mobility andability to sense pressurehe reminded me of a young Ben Roethlisberger.

Stephen McGee also played well; hisTD throw to Austin on fourth down to give the Cowboys the lead near the end of the game was a thing of beauty.

Deion Sanders just dismissed both of them after the game on the NFL Network, saying neither are any good because they locked on their primary receiver. At least Marshall Faulk stood up to him, noting the newbie status of both. If either QB had been black and had flashed such clutch play ability as well as mobility, Sanders and everyone else in the media would have been rightfully impressed.

snow

Mentor
Witten really doesn't get the credit he deserves, win the Cowboys were winning he got some for a brief period but thats about it. He is the complete package, one of the best receiving tight ends that also can block just as well. That is rare, most of tight ends that put up his kind of numbers can't block, like Gates. Witten should be a lock for the HOF at the pace he is going. Fastest tight end to reach 600 catches. 7 consecutive seasons with at least 60 catches has only been done by one other tight end, Tony Gonzalez, and the only one other besides Tony G and Witten that has had 7 years with at least 60 catches, Shannon Sharpe. Imo Witten is a better blocker than both.
Edited by: snow

Riddlewire

Master
The difference between Cleveland's offensive line play and that of every other team in the NFL is astonishing.
Peyton never has "wide open running lanes". He's basically met at the line of scrimmage on every play. He has to push for every yard he gets. Other runningbacks will frequently get 3 yards past the LOS before anyone puts a hand on them.
Daboll's playbook is terrible. But their biggest weakness is that offensive line.

--------------------
And I swear every team in the league passed around the same 'cheat sheet' on how to beat Cleveland. Just eat up the clock as much as possible and it's a guaranteed victory.
Edited by: Riddlewire

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's already up on the NFL Hilites. As I've said all year long, if they would play him more, you would see his explosiveness so much more. He could easily be doing what Hillis is doing if he got close to the amount of chances to run the ball. He just has the moves and the track speed to take it for the distance whenever he touches the ball. I'm hoping they play him alot in the playoffs. He has to have very fresh legs and he is ready to go! Way to go Danny!

Riddlewire

Master
Hillis must be hurt pretty bad. Bell on the field to start the drive.

Well, he's back out there now. Walking stiffly, though.
Edited by: Riddlewire

Riddlewire

Master
Hillis not playing on Cleveland's final drive of the half. Is he done for the day? Just seven carries in the first half. Cleveland can't sustain any drives.

I am absolutely outraged, watching the Rams game.

Chris Long hopped up and down in celebration of a play, and one of the commentators provided the highly insightful comment "his vertical's almost as good as yours!"
To which the other made a snide remark about how Chris Long will never dunk a basketball, although he (the commentator) can. Outrageous comments. I am 100% sure Chris Long could easily dunk a basketball, he is a freak. His vertical is at least 37" right? Edited by: TorontoArgos

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Chad Johnson is out for the Bengals game later today against the Chargers at home. T.O. is on IR. Chance for Jordan Shipley to have a nice game?

Troy Smith is learning all game that he can only trust his legs.

After a horribly inaccurate pass on 2nd and 7, he scrambles for the first down.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i've caught just a little bit of the Browns game, and Peyton doesn't look like himself. additionally, he's not gotten any help from the o-line, the right side of which seems incapable of blocking a single player.

furthermore, the Cleveland offense has once again been plagued by miscues.

i wonder how bad Hillis' knee injury this week was, and i wonder why the Baltimore defensive front seems to be in the backfield every time Hillis gets a carry. the Browns o-line and o-coordinator need some SERIOUS upgrading.

conversely, watching the Patriots game is a joy. they are playing superbly, and it is even more fun because they are doing it with "unathletic overachievers" with guys such as Welker and Woodhead. awesome!