2009 Texans

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a good article on how the Texans want to make use of James Casey's many skills:
<H1>Texans to study Casey</H1>
<H2>Draft pick's versatility has coaches excited</H2>
James Casey must feel like a lab rat.
Rather than medical researchers picking at him, it's going to be Texans coaches experimenting with him as soon as they can get him on the practice field.
Casey, the fifth-round pick from Rice, has offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and tight ends coach Brian Pariani excited because they can't wait to try to take advantage of his versatility.
Casey reminds them of their fourth-round pick in 2006 â€â€￾ tight end Owen Daniels, who developed into a Pro Bowl player last season.
"Owen is as good as anyone in the passing game," Shanahan said. "I see Casey as just like that. Obviously, Casey's not as far along as Owen, so you can't include him in all the packages.
"Until he develops as a blocker, he's going to be treated more as a receiver at this level."
Casey was asked to catch, run and throw at Rice. Now he has to learn to block to become a more complete player. And the level of competition has increased significantly.
"The similarities between Owen and James are helping the team in the passing game, being able to make plays in man coverage," Pariani said. "James didn't do a lot of blocking at Rice, but that's something that can be taught."
Casey, 6-3, 246, is seen as a possible tight end, H-back, fullback, short-yardage runner, emergency quarterback, deep snapper and special teams star.
Because Casey played in the White Sox organization and began his college career late, he'll turn 25 in September.
"I think his age will help him," Pariani said. "You have to be mature mentally, and he's more mature than most players coming into the league."
<H3 id=id2439577 ="Text-TextSubhed BoldCond PoynterAgateZero">Role in Wildcat</H3>
The faster Casey becomes an effective blocker, the more roles he can play.
"I love having a player with his versatility," Shanahan said. "We run such a balanced offense that it's going to be hard to get on the field if you can't do both.
"While he learns to become a complete tight end and do the things we're going to ask him to do at that position, there are other ways we can utilize him."
Shanahan mentioned Casey in three tight end sets. Casey could become a receiver. Or he could line up at fullback, go in short motion and return to fullback and be a lead blocker for Steve Slaton or a receiver.
Fans ask about using Casey as the quarterback in the Wildcat formation.
"When we run Wildcat, it's more to give our defense a look," Shanahan said. "I think there are a lot of other ways to get people the ball. Obviously, we're going to do what works, and if we did it, and it worked, he'd be a candidate for that position.
"The Wildcat takes a lot of commitment if you're going to use it, and that takes away from what our offense really is."
<H3 id=id2433559 ="Text-TextSubhed BoldCond PoynterAgateZero">Shanahan's thoughts</H3>
Shanahan was asked about using Casey as a short-yardage back.
"To be an NFL back, you've got to be special," Shanahan said. "He showed in college he's good at it. That's something that might give us a chance to carry four tight ends. If you do that, all of them can't just play tight end.
"I can see him catching the ball in the flat, but the reason (fullback) Vonta (Leach) is so open all the time is because he fills (the hole) so hard, and the linebackers come up with their shoulders down because they think it's a run, but Vonta goes out for a pass.
"When you get Casey to where he's at least a fullback who's a threat to block, and they have to learn to (defend) him, then he could be unbelievable in the passing game because he's such a good receiver.
"What makes players like that have a tough time is they have to get the respect of the linebackers as a blocker. If they don't commit to him as a blocker, he's not going to get open on a flat route because they'll just follow him there."
<EM ="Taglines,Signers,Etc.-Signer Italic HoustonText">john.mcclain@chron.com [/i]
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/64 05172.html

StarWars

Mentor
When has a white guy ever had trouble blocking? He'll be just fine. A lot of people don't realize that Welker may be the best blocker on the Patriots. Probably the toughest player too at 180 lbs.

green fire317

Banned
i cant wait for the season to start. it is going to be so much fun watching the texans obliderate blacksonville. what is going to be even funnier is listening to chris collinsworth make an excuse as to why the jags were crushed and how players like kevin walter and owen daniels are "overrated". knowing him he will probably start saying how the jags secondary is banged up, and if they were healthy they would shut down the texans passing game.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
The Texans are going to be my favorite team this year, they sign Shaun Cody, take Cushing, Barwin, some white O-Linemen, and draft Casey, plus Daniels, Anderson, and Walter, hopefully Schaub will be able to get the ball to them, and not focus on overrated Andre Johnson so much.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Twill be interesting to see what actually happens after the final pre-season cut.

backrow

Hall of Famer
Jack Lambert said:
hopefully Schaub will be able to get the ball to them, and not focus on overrated Andre Johnson so much.

i also would love for Walter to get more catches but calling Johnson overrated is not accurate. this guy plays good football.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I was going to say the same thing backrow. Johnson is one of the few black WRs who truly does have a legit Pro-bowl type impact for his team. T.O is pretty good, but is a locker room cancer and drops too many balls- Braylan Edwards is another guy who drops too many balls- pretty good, but overrated. Kevin Walter is definitely underrated though and I hope he gets more balls this year.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Johnson is very good, probably one of the best in the league, but they do try to force it to him too much. I think it was mainly Sage Rosenfels.

I think it should be a little more balanced, because there are times where Johnson will be in double coverage and Walter be wide open, and then the qb still tries to throw it to Johnson.

Look at the stats
Walter
60 rec899 yards15.0 ypc61 long8 tds

Johnson
115 rec1575 yards13.7 ypc65 long8 tds

You would think by looking at those stats that Walter was your typical deep threat wide receiver with inconsistent hands, but he has good hands.

same amount of touchdowns, 55 less receptions and 676 yards less yards. Im not saying his stats would double if he got the same amount of catches but I think things would even out, theyd probably both get around 1200 yards and maybe at least 10 to 12 tds a piece.

If he got more catches/passes thrown his way it would be a bigger nightmare for defensive coordinators on who to pay attention to.

Plus you have Owen Daniels with 70 receptions and 862 yards 2 tds, Now James Casey is in that mix, if all are used correctly it would a potent offense.
Edited by: dwid

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Andre Johnson, to me, is like too many black WRs. He's good and productive, but he's overused. Like dwid said, they force it to him too much. It seems like quite a few teams have a black WR that they feel like they have to go to, no matter if that player or anyone else is open or not.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
Andre Johnson, to me, is like too many black WRs. He's good and productive, but he's overused. Like dwid said, they force it to him too much. It seems like quite a few teams have a black WR that they feel like they have to go to, no matter if that player or anyone else is open or not.�

They probably do force the ball to Johnson a bit-he's damn good. I do agree though that they should throw to Walter a little more...But Johnson is not like Owens- he catches a high percentage of his passes for a starting WR- if I recall. Owens had over 30 balls more than Jason Witten thrown to him in the last 3 years, but still caught slightly less. Then that irrational team cancer complained that Witten caught more balls then him when he had made the Pro Bowl as recently as 2008. TO is an irrational primadonna. The fact is- Witten should probably be seeing more balls.
smiley11.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Johnson is good, no doubt. He's one of the best in the league, imo. It irks me to no end that seemingly every white skill players ends up on a team that *just happens* to have an incredible black talent at their position. No doubt Walter would prove just as good with the same number of throws/catches, but with blacks like Johnson around, you can bet we'll never find out.

Great point about Witten and Owens. Witten is just a better receiver, end of story.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I forget the exact number from a previous CF thread, but I think Owens caught in the "MID 50s percent" of balls with some key drops and Witten caught just over 70% thrown to him in the last 3 years. You would expect a TE to catch a higher percentage, but Witten is so consistent and such a threat-I would still say he should- if anything- have been the one to see more balls.
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

A side note: if I recall from a Yahoo report- is that Kevin Curtis caught just slightly over 70% of balls thrown to him in 2007. That's an amazing number for a WR and he had more yards than any Eagles WR other than TO since the 80s according to Draft Daddy. He also equaled TO's season with 77 receptions.

Unfortunately last year he was coming off that sports hernia surgery and only caught around 50% of throws to him in 9 season games. He was probably rusty- his chemistry with McNabb seemed bad. He looks to be getting replaced already, when he had come on strong again in last years playoffs.
smiley7.gif

I don't know where to double check this info. It was a while ago when I saw these stats.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Welker is the ONLY white WR that seems guaranteed safe as a starter for a while if he stays healthy- he catches a very high percentage of throws his way too. He's probably the ONLY white WR that gets his due in respect.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Texans signed safety John Busing
smiley32.gif
I also read that the Texans want to have their top 4 pass rushers on the field at all times. Two of them are Connor Barwin and Tim Bulman
smiley32.gif
The Texans are becoming a team to root for, especially if Busing makes the squad and becomes the starter. They would have Bulman, Barwin, Cushing and Busing on the field at once.

My only disappointment is that they did not go after Kyle Bell. I figure with Kubiaks CSU connection they would of signed him as an UDFA.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Leonardfan refresh my memory on Busing??

backrow

Hall of Famer
they still might sign Bell, i doubt Jags will pick him up, simply because they're Jags... imagine if Texans only had a white runningback on their active roster (they recently signed a white fullback, Boomer Grisgby but that's not the same, obviously), that would be the perfect team for us to root for. hopefully they do well this season so Kubiak stays on!

Tim Bulman was a very pleasant surprise last season, and he's still only 26 so there's lots of room to progress. and there's still Jesse Nading as well, who was playing a bit last season and they signed DT Jake Visser from Ferris State.

report from their first day of OTAs, very positive mentions of Cushing and James Casey.

here's the article excerpts:

The Texans returned to the field Monday for their first day of organized team activities (OTAs), and now coaches get to evaluate the rookies and free agents they signed this offseason. Most eyes were on first-round draft pick Brian Cushing, who lined up with the first team at strongside linebacker. The glaring absence was cornerback Dunta Robinson, who is holding out from the non-mandatory workouts because of contract disputes.

Cushing looks the part: First-round draft pick Brian Cushing looked the part when he lined up with the first team at strongside linebacker. Cushing was the biggest linebacker on the field and moved fluidly as the team began its defensive installs.

"He's pretty ready to go, I would say that,"Â￾ coach Gary Kubiak said. "We're just excited about him. Getting him out here and getting him to work and having him here in the city of Houston is exciting for everybody, including this guy."Â￾

The Texans have set high expectations for Cushing, and he is poised to meet them. Right now, the players are wearing just helmets and shorts â€" no pads. That means Cushing has time to master the playbook and learn his assignments before he starts hitting people.

"I'm really trying to get the base defense down,"Â￾ he said. "I'm sure as camp progresses and the more I learn, I can also work in the nickel a little bit. The biggest thing for me right now is to get out there and run around. I'm not going to know everything, but the biggest thing is effort.

"I'm going to try to learn this playbook inside and out, know what every single player's doing on the field, and like I said, help this team as best as possible."Â￾

Cushing also is finding a mentor in middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans, another high draft pick who was thrown into the starting lineup as rookie.

"It's been a privilege already to play next to him,"Â￾ Cushing said. "All-Pro linebacker, just an unbelievable talent, so I'm going to try to get everything I can from him. He was in the same situation and he's just been doing a great job since day one."Â￾

"I just couldn't help myself; got the competitive juices flowing out there playing football and I wanted to go get the catch." - James CaseyCasey goes all out: One of the rules Kubiak made on Day 1 of OTAs was that he didn't want players making diving catches. Rookie tight end James Casey had trouble holding back and made a spectacular grab in front of his head coach.

"(Kubiak) told us right before that we weren't supposed to lay out and get on the ground at all,"Â￾ Casey said. "I just couldn't help myself; got the competitive juices flowing out there playing football and I wanted to go get the catch. He probably got mad at me a little bit because I wasn't supposed to do that, but I'll stay off the ground tomorrow."Â￾

The play didn't seem to downgrade Kubiak's assessment of his fifth-round draft pick.

"He's got great hands,"Â￾ Kubiak said. "(Tight ends coach) Brian's (Pariani) very impressed with how smart he is, but I think we all kind of knew that one before we got started. He's got a chance to help this team very quickly. I won't put too much pressure on him too quick, but I'm excited to get him going."Â￾

Casey can play several positions on offense, but he's working out with the tight ends and learning the various roles that will be asked of him in the multiple tight end sets that the Texans run.

"They have different personnel groupings where they have two or three tight end sets, so you've got to learn multiple positions just within the tight end sets,"Â￾ Casey said. "I can't really just be thrown in there and start learning multiple different things. It's hard enough just to learn one position. So I'm just trying to focus on all the tight end's things, and that's completely the coaches' decision where they play me, so I have no control of that at all. So wherever they put me, I'm just trying try to go out there and play as hard as I can and be relentless out there."Â￾

New blood: On Monday, the Texans signed strong safety John Busing, who spent four years with the Cincinnati Bengals, and guard Adrian Jones, a sixth-year pro.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Thanks LF. Texans will have a tough division with the colts and jags in it.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Texans will have at least two new starters on defense in left end Antonio Smith and strong-side linebacker Brian Cushing, their first-round draft choice out of USC.
<H3 ="Text-TextSubhed BoldCond PoynterAgateZero" id=id2444759>Cushing to start</H3>
"Rookies have to be big contributors to our team, but I don't imagine you're going to see three or four of them starting because we're a better team,"Â￾ Kubiak said. "Cushing has been a starter since the day he stepped off the bus. We're very happy with him.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6487585.html

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Brian Cushing could start at linebacker on any team in the league. I don't see him being treated like Carpenter. He is one of the few "chosen" white players.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
That is good news! I think the Texans will be one of my favorite teams this year. I hope they're going to the playoffs this year.

That comment about Andre Johnson I made, I had worded it wrong, what I ment is what Colonel_Reb said, they just overtarget him, even when he isn't open sometimes.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gary Kubiaktalking aboutJames Casey:

(on using TE James Casey around the goal line) "Today was our first day on the goal line so we threw everyone in there. We haven't had anything specific. We're going to look at the film now. It's the first time we can have some goal line reps with full pads so we can actually evaluate some guys and see if some guys are behind some guys, playing better than some guys up front and start making some moves if that's the case."

(on if he thinks TE James Casey get some carries near the goal line during the preseason) "In the exhibition season, definitely. We've got to see what they can do and the only way to see that is throwing them in games. So we're going to give everybody a shot in the preseason and whoever our best guys are in every situation, those will be the guys once week 1 starts."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5418

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I like Kubiak, I think Casey is in a good situation.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I am looking for Cushing to have a monster season. This is one white linebacker who will impress. I see him going to several Probowls in the future. He is just that talented!

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I think Cushing will be a major force in this league, along with Connor Barwin, once he is "allowed" to start.

Hopefully, Casey impresses during the preseason, and gets some regular season goal line carries.
smiley1.gif
Anything could be possible with Kubiak, three of the four major recieving threats last year for Houston were white (Walter, Daniels, and Anderson.) Kubiak looks like one of the coaches who are "fair" to whites.