2008 NFL Draft Scorecard

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
5,706
Location
Pennsylvania
Beautiful pick. The only problem is the Packers actually have a very good WR corps, even for the NFL. Driver, Jennings, and Jones are all starting caliber....a rarity for pro WRs. Oh well, at least he went to a pass-happy team with a good white QB and offensive system.

The Packers with a white skills player....I never thought I'd see the day! I'd love to see them take John Carlson or another white TE in the coming rounds.Edited by: Thrashen
 

Stonewall

Guru
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
311
Location
Maryland
Congrats to Jordy, you earned this one.

This is really encouraging. I've got this week's USA Today Sports Weekly in front of me, which lists Jordy as the 13th best receiver in the draft.

Suffice to say, these "experts" were a little off.
 

Bear Backer

Mentor
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
658
Location
Illinois
Thrashen said:
Beautiful pick. The only problem is the Packers actually have a very good WR corps, even for the NFL. Driver, Jennings, and Jones are all starting caliber....a rarity for pro WRs. Oh well, at least he went to a pass-happy team with a good white QB and offensive system.

The Packers with a white skills player....I never thought I'd see the day! I'd love to see them take John Carlson or another white TE in the coming rounds.

Too late
smiley2.gif
 

itsme

Guru
Joined
Nov 24, 2006
Messages
182
Location
Outside North America
Thrashen said:
Beautiful pick. The only problem is the Packers actually have a very good WR corps, even for the NFL. Driver, Jennings, and Jones are all starting caliber....a rarity for pro WRs.

That's the problem, he won't get much playing time and Aaron Rodgers sucks.
 

Stonewall

Guru
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
311
Location
Maryland
Also, it's significant that Nelson was the first player taken by Green Bay in this year's draft. The team's management and top personnel men would look foolish if Jordy isn't given a fair shot. It's in their best interests to make sure that he succeeds at Green Bay.

This pick in some part has to stem from last year's NFC Championship game. The Giants DBs beat up the Packers receivers. Nelson's size and toughness are key attributes that Green Bay's current receiving corps lacks.
 

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 30, 2004
Messages
30,641
Location
Pennsylvania
Stonewall said:
Also, it's significant that Nelson was the first player taken by Green Bay in this year's draft. The team's management and top personnel men would look foolish if Jordy isn't given a fair shot. It's in their best interests to make sure that he succeeds at Green Bay.

This pick in some part has to stem from last year's NFC Championship game. The Giants DBs beat up the Packers receivers. Nelson's size and toughness are key attributes that Green Bay's current receiving corps lacks.


Good points, Stonewall. Also, Driver is 33, not that old for a receiver but he has taken a beating over the years. He's one of my favorite black receivers because he plays the game the right way, which doesn't always translate into good longevity.
 

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
5,706
Location
Pennsylvania
stonewall is correct, Nelson is one WR that "shouldnt" be screwed by the NFL. If he doesnt succeed, it would be his own fault. Other that Matt Jones, I dont remember a white WR being taken this early in over 5 years! Despite the already good WR corps in GB, I think Jordy will do just fine.
 

Stonewall

Guru
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
311
Location
Maryland
Green Bay's current receivers:

Greg Jennings 5'11" 197 lbs.
Donald Driver 6'0" 190 lbs.
James Jones6'1" 207 1bs.


Jordy Nelson6'3" 217 lbs.
 

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Joined
Nov 19, 2006
Messages
5,063
Location
Ontario Canada
Since the Pack took Jordy with such a high pick (they will have to pay him a good deal of guaranteed money) I see them having him polish his route running a bit more and having him get significant playing time by next year. I think James Jones is overrated and he was only third round pick. Jordy is better.

I predict Jordy will see the field a significant amount by next season. I think he'll overtake Jones on the depth chart. And don't be surprised if the Packers trade Driver if they really are liking what they see in Nelson. Driver's stock is very high, he's a good player, but he doesn't have the ridiculous potential of Jordy Nelson once he polishes his route running more.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins
 

jared

Mentor
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
721
Location
Texas
Driver is getting up there in years. Not sure how the Pack feel about Jones but maybe they are envisioning the smallish Greg Jennings to play slot... I don't know, I just hope Jordy ends up being the starting flanker in the next couple years. It says a lot that he was the Packers' first pick though. They must really like him. I cannot see him getting screwed. Looking at the Packers return men (or lack thereof), maybe they wanna use Jordy some as a punt returner...

Jordy is the perfect Green Bay guy. He's going to be such a fan favorite.
 

backrow

Hall of Famer
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
7,214
Location
Spain
Thrashen said:
stonewall is correct, Nelson is one WR that "shouldnt" be screwed by the NFL. If he doesnt succeed, it would be his own fault. Other that Matt Jones, I dont remember a white WR being taken this early in over 5 years!

Anthony Gonzalez last year
smiley2.gif
 

jared

Mentor
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
721
Location
Texas
Okay Jordon Dizon, I'll take that. Surprised that he went ahead of Connor though...
 

backrow

Hall of Famer
Joined
Oct 23, 2005
Messages
7,214
Location
Spain
oh, Jordan Dizon to Lions in second! huge surprise, and even a certain reach, since he would be there in 3rd, but i love that.

can't believe that he went off the board before Dan Connor...

he fits their scheme perfectly though, smallish, fast and great for cover 2 defenseEdited by: backrow
 

forty-four

Guru
Joined
Sep 8, 2007
Messages
264
Location
Virginia
I saw this on FOX Sports: "Thers is no doubt that defensive coordinator Jim Haslett preferred Dorsey, but the front office and head coach Scott Linehan wanted Long and so did new personnel boss Billy Devaney."

Haslett preferred Dorsey? Is that surprising?
smiley36.gif
 

Capt. Larsen

Newbie
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
54
Location
Kentucky
forty-four said:
I saw this on FOX Sports: "Thers is no doubt that defensive coordinator Jim Haslett preferred Dorsey, but the front office and head coach Scott Linehan wanted Long and so did new personnel boss Billy Devaney."

Haslett preferred Dorsey? Is that surprising?
smiley36.gif
Too much time in the chocolate citayy.
 

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
5,706
Location
Pennsylvania
Why in the world is Connor free-falling? I'd love to see him with the Colts for the next 10 years. The Pats, and the rest of the league, made a HUGE mistake not taking this monster as the first overall LB.Edited by: Thrashen
 
Top