wes welker

guest301

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
At least Welker is getting respect and from possibly the best corner in the league.

That was going to be my post. Beat me to it, whiteathlete33.
smiley2.gif

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
guest301 said:
whiteathlete33 said:
At least Welker is getting respect and from possibly the best corner in the league.

That was going to be my post. Beat me to it, whiteathlete33.
smiley2.gif

Hehe! Revis's comments will go a long way in convincing the DWF's that Welker is one of the best, if not the best, receiver in the league.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I'll give Revis a (slight) nod for admitting Moss is a slack@$$ & Wes is tougher to cover.
smiley20.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Welker Also Suffering from Torn Rotator Cuff

It's not only torn knee ligaments that is ailing Wes Welker. The Patriots receiver has also suffered a torn rotator cuff, a source confirmed to the Herald's Karen Guregian.

It's not clear how Welker became injured, nor is a timetable clear. But it is an added potential roadblock for the NFL's leading receiver in 2009 as he tries to come back from his already debilitating knee injury.

This news may put even more of an onus on the Patriots to beef up the receiver position. It also means Julian Edelman better have his playing shoes on.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/03/12/patriots-receiver-wes-welker-also-suffering-from-a-torn-rotator-cuff/

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
From Rotoworld:

Contrary to previous reports, Wes Welker said Friday that he tore "just
the ACL" in his left knee in January.
<div ="s_pNewsTextMain"> Multiple reports had him tearing both his
ACL and MCL, and Welker even acknowledged delaying surgery to allow the
MCL to heal on its own. Perhaps Welker merely sprained the MCL and
didn't fully tear it. If his knee wasn't as damaged as originally
believed, Welker's rehab might not take quite as long. We still don't
expect him back in time for Week 1.</div>

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Well that's a little good news in a bad situation. I hate the Texans' field surface. It turns out it isn't an old version of AstroTurf like I thought, but just natural grass that is secured in the ground in plates each game, that doesn't seem to even out or resist divets and water well.

The best surface to prevent ligament tears, although torn muscles and ankle sprains and cuts are more common is the new field turf. The Vikings are one team that has this new version of artificial turf, which can only be good news for Gerhart!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Wow this is great news. First we find out that Welker only tore one ligament instead of two- and next we find he has worked so hard and healed so well that his rehab is ahead of schedule! I think he may come back this year just as strong!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
From all reports I've read since the injury suggested that Welker would (at worst) miss the first 3-4 games in 2010. Every passing month, that forecast seems less and less dire.

JReb1

Mentor
This is great news since everybody loves Wes Welker and his incredible talent and heart. That was also some pretty nice compliments from Randy Moss about Welker. I guess he knows how much easier Wes make his job.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
So will Wes still lead the league in catches even if he does miss 3-4 games??? There's always a chance with this guy.
smiley4.gif
He's pretty incredible and even among DWFS he is seen as a GOOD player. It's almost as if he's expected tocatch 100+ balls from now on. I still feel like he's taken for granted...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Welker update from Rotoworld: NFL Network's Michael Lombardi
smiley8.gif
seconds a recent Boston Globe report that Wes Welker remains ahead of schedule in his return from ACL and shoulder surgeries.

<DIV =s_pNewsTextMain>Welker is still not expected to participate fully in training camp, but Lombardi believes he will be cleared at some point in August. The two recent reports both go against reliable beat reporter Mike Reiss' prediction two weeks ago that Welker would open both training camp and the regular season on the PUP list. We won't have a great read on Welker's Week 1 chances until later this month, but there's at least reason for optimism at this point.

JReb1

Mentor
Hopefully Welker can go week 1 and then he'll have a legitimate chance at the single season reception record.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I want to see him play the full 16 games. By far my favorite receiver in the nfl. Also excited to see how Gronkowski can help the Patriots Offense.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I like Welker but Curtis is my favorite receiver in the NFL. He's the only white receiver that the "experts" consider a deep threat though some now claim he has lost his speed and will be nothing more than a possession receiver.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
white lightning said:
I want to see him play the full 16 games. By far my favorite receiver in the nfl. Also excited to see how Gronkowski can help the Patriots Offense.

In OTAs Aaron Hernandez was running with the first team offense and being lined up all over the field, with Gronkowski playing a backup role, though obviously that could change. I consider Hernandez more mestizo looking than white, closer to a "Tony Gonzalez type."

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I think Wes will be ready for game 1. He's a tough SOB. I too hope he breaks the single season reception record.

guest301

Hall of Famer
It's nice to see that Moss has respect for Welker and recognizes his talent and productivity which is the complete oppostite of how Keyshawn Johnson treated Wayne Chrebet like he was some type of a lucky team mascot.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
white lightning said:
<div></div>
<div>In OTAs Aaron Hernandez was running with the first team offense and being lined up all over the field, with Gronkowski playing a backup role, though obviously that could change.  I consider Hernandez more mestizo looking than white, closer to a "Tony Gonzalez type."  </div>

I've always considered Aaron Hernandez mixed. For one thing, he looks mixed and he has a bunch of unappealing tattoos, and then there's the issue of there being tons and tons of non-White blood in Florida.. I occasionally see a HS prospect from Florida that looks like a White Latino, but it's rare.

So, Don, I'm glad you brought up what you think Hernandez' racial background is.

Kaptain

Master
Welker was taken off the PUP list and is now full-speed. He we probably even play a preseason game or two.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Here is an article about Wes being put back on the active roster. I note a work ethic that is markedly different than say, Antonio Bryant...

<DIV =hd>
<H1 property="dc:title">Patriots WR Welker returns from knee injury</H1>
<DIV =byline>
<DIV rel="dc:creator">
<DIV of="vcard:VCard">
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP)â€"Patriots receiver Wes Welker(notes) was removed from the physically unable to perform list and placed on the active roster Sunday, seven months after tearing ligaments in his knee.
<DIV =bd>
<DIV id=copy>
<DIV ="_copy 0">

Welker practiced with the club Sunday morning.

Welker was injured early in the final regular-season game against the Houston Texans on Jan. 3. He underwent surgery for a torn ACL and MCL a month later.

Welker participated in organized team activities in June. On Sunday, he ran pass patterns and participated in non-contact drills. He was loudly applauded by fans every time he touched the ball.
<DIV id=sidebar>
<DIV id=sky>

"It's a tribute to Wes and his work ethic,"Â￾ said Nick Casario, director of player personnel.

Casario said Welker passed his physical before taking the field.

"I'm not fully there,"Â￾ Welker said. "We're getting closer. I can't point out one thing. I think I can get better at a lot of things, whether I was 100 percent or not. We're working toward that."Â￾

He said his knee and the shoulder he injured during the season, forcing him to miss two games, both feel great.

Welker said he didn't know when he would be cleared for contact, leaving it up to coaches and doctors.

He said he wasn't really thinking about the knee during drills, although he would continue to wear the brace he sported Sunday at least for a while.

"Obviously if I was favoring it (the knee) or something, I wouldn't be out here,"Â￾ he said.

Welker said there was no chance to relax in the offseason as he rehabbed.

"There was no vacation time,"Â￾ he said. "A nice weekend here, a nice weekend there, or anything like that. It was six hours of work each day, making sure I was bringing it every day, and that was the toughest part."Â￾

Welker, a seven-year veteran from Texas Tech, caught a team record 123 passes for 1,348 yards last season despite missing almost three full games. It was the third straight year he caught more than 100 passes after the Patriots obtained him in a 2007 trade with the Miami Dolphins.