Steve Gregory

White Mike

Guru
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1114698

1114698.jpg

Plays some nickle back. Got some action last year after signing with the practice squad. With him and Weddle in the secondary, SD could be dangerous.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, we've talked about him before. i really hope that Steve and Eric Weddle will eventually become starters for Chargers!

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
There's no doubt that Weddle will start this season in my opinion and down the hill I think we could see him at corner. I seen an interesting stat on Quentin Jammer that he was the most burned corner in the league, something like 72 times out of 145 times being thrown at.

White Mike

Guru
backrow said:
yeah, we've talked about him before. i really hope that Steve and Eric Weddle will eventually become starters for Chargers!

Thanks backrow. I tried to search, but it always times out, and I get some error message.

jared

Mentor
The Chargers resigned Gregory for another year. Hopefully he gets a chance to show something so he doesn't get pitched into oblivion afterward.

Gi-15

Mentor
Chargers | Gregory signs contract extension
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:11:59 -0700

The San Diego Chargers have announced they have signed FS Steve Gregory to a four-year contract extension that will run through the 2011 season. Financial terms were not disclosed.

from kffl.com

thats great for Steve, he have some financial security, and looks to be the primary backup at safety.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gregory had 8 solo tackles and 1 pass defended yesterday.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
The Chargers are giving Hester the Brian Leonard treatment so far but they are using white players on defense like the Bills were last season.

Gi-15

Mentor
Bill Williamson from ESPN.com is writing that SS Clinton Hart could be a cap casualty for the chargers. Steve played quite a bit at SS in Hart's place last year and did quite good. Let's hope they may see Hart as expendable and see Gregory as a long-term solution.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Would the league allow two starting white safties, assuming Gregory would take Harts spot, and Weddle retains his FS spot? The Chargers have to be one of the white friendly teams in the league, exxcept for discriminating against Jacob Hester.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Rams started Mike Furrey and Adam Archuleta at safety for several games in 2005.

Before that you have to go back to the Packers of the early '90s when they had Chuck Cecil and Mark Murphy.

Cecil btw was recently named the Titans' defensive coordinator.
smiley32.gif
Good to see considering how he was blackmailed out of the league as a player.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Don gotta love Chuck Cecil for a football name. Just sounds bad ass!!

Gi-15

Mentor
I remember watching one of thoses games. Furrey actually was outplaying Archuleta, he had a pick in the game and was always around the ball. The rams had a rash of injuries and Furrey was their best ST player so they tried him there. Don't remember why he didn't stick on defense. I guess he was still dreaming of that 1,000 yard-to be season as a receiver
smiley2.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
celticdb15 said:

He was bad ass! He put so many big licks on black WRs that he was run out of the league, not wanted by a single team,even though he had made the Pro Bowl and was still in his peak years.

I just checked YouTube but there is nothing there. He probably played too long ago for anyone to put together a highlight reel now.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
while i'd love to see Gregory getting more playing time, he certainly isn't built like a strong safety.

he runs like a corner, covers like a corner, and is built like a corner. if it weren't for his skin color, he'd be playing at corner.

it just goes to show you how tough, athletic, smart, and versatile he is to be able to also play like he belongs at strong safety.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
celticdb15 said:

He was bad ass! He put so many big licks on black WRs that he was run out of the league, not wanted by a single team,even though he had made the Pro Bowl and was still in his peak years.

I just checked YouTube but there is nothing there. He probably played too long ago for anyone to put together a highlight reel now.

I wish the Pack would bring back some white safeties again! they had Scott Mcgarrahan, Chuck Cecil, and Mark Murphy all in the mid 90's!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
"I hope they go after Jim Leonhard, they still need a safety to go along Nick Collins"

Gi-15, good call, dude, I've been thinking the same thing since the season ended.

However, after his performance throughout all of last season, in which he outplayed Mr. 30-tackle, Ed Reed, most games....I'm not sure even the Ravens will let this young talent walk. If they do, perhaps Tom Zbikowski will take his place. Oh wait, he's only been an apprentice for 1 season, scatch that.

Another good fit for the Packers would benow LionsWSTD,Stu Schweigert. Stu was released by the Raiders and Giants. Nick Collins is above average, and Aturdy Bigby plays about as smart as a horses ass. I'm hoping they sign Leonhard (Wisconsin, GB connection), but I'm sure they'll be content let their black scrubs get burned and miss tackles for years to come.

Gi-15

Mentor
Yeah that was mostly wishful thinking on my part. I red somewhere that they intend on signing Bigby to a second-round tender and seems to be happy with aaron rouse as the 3rd safety, even though he is terrible.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I agree I watch the Pack and Bigby stinks. The Pack's defense should be better this year if they get a better safety to replace Bigby and Nick Barnett comes back at full strength. They also need better DTs and a second quality pass rusher (Robison anybody?). The Packers CBs are pretty good; especially at getting big plays.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Packersline, other than Kampman, was the major weakness on defenselast season. I expect Aaron to bounce back if the line is improved.

Bigby is a hard hitter and makes a lot of plays, but is a bonehead who is often out of position and takes lots of stupid penalties.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
while i'd love to see Gregory getting more playing time, he certainly isn't built like a strong safety.

he runs like a corner, covers like a corner, and is built like a corner. if it weren't for his skin color, he'd be playing at corner.

it just goes to show you how tough, athletic, smart, and versatile he is to be able to also play like he belongs at strong safety.

I agree completely. Even Weddle seems like a more natural CB to me than a Safety. Weddle ran a solid 4.48 when you compare to a typical NFL starting CB, but his burst is just insane. Weddle ran a 1.42 10 yard dash which is the second best time since 1999 when NFLdraftscout.com started tracking the electronic times.

Weddle held Calvin Johnson to one catch matched up one on one against him in a college game if I recall and is very good at changing direction. I actually think he'd make an even better CB than FS which he has still proved very good at. Weddle and Gregory are both guys IMO that are good enough to "start" at CB in the NFL and Weddle is probably even a Pro-bowl caliber CB.

backrow

Hall of Famer
good news (in a way) from signonsandiego.com:

Safety split
While Kynan Forney will start at right guard, Kevin Burnett appears destined to be the starter at the weakside inside linebacker spot. And as expected, there appears to be a split decision at strong safety with Clinton Hart starting in the base defense, and Steve Gregory playing in the sub packages.

"(The every-down job) was taken away from me at the end of the year,"Â￾ Hart said, referring to Gregory taking over for him in December, due in part to Hart's neck injury. "I was trying to win it back, but he's playing good."Â￾

basically what it means is Hart plays on running downs and Steve plays on 3rd down. hopefully soon he will fully take over! two starting white safeties, imagine that. when was the last time we saw such a thing!? i remember Tampa had two white backup safeties (Howell and David Gibson) and they must have played along himat some point. also, Colts in last preseason game, now that i think of it!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Good find backrow, definitely a good case scenario for us.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Gregory is an exceptional cover corner with tremendous speed. it's a testament to his versatility andtalent that he is also able to play the safety spot to such a high level.