RB - Sam McGuffie

hedgehog

Mentor
This kid needs to STAY AWAY from Michigan. I dont care how talented he is. Michigan will move him to slot or safety before his freshman year is over. I think Ohio State would let him run the ball as would Texas Tech. I don't like the idea of him going to A&M, I read on rivals.com or something that 3 of the top 10 high school running backs coming out this year have A&M at the top of their list. I dont want to see another Tre Smith situation. Notre Dame and Iowa would also let him run the ball.

whiteCB

Master
jaxvid said:
First let me say that if this poor kid picks Michigan I will personally look him up in Ann Arbor and recommend a nice therapist to help him deal with the frustration of carrying towels and water bottles for lesser talented black players.

Funny stuff but the truth nonetheless.
smiley32.gif

Memo to Sam's family: STAY AWAY FROM LLOYD CARR!!!!(unless your fine with playing backup safety)
smiley5.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
KJV1 said:
This kid needs to STAY AWAY from Michigan. I dont care how talented he is. Michigan will move him to slot or safety before his freshman year is over. I think Ohio State would let him run the ball as would Texas Tech. I don't like the idea of him going to A&M, I read on rivals.com or something that 3 of the top 10 high school running backs coming out this year have A&M at the top of their list. I dont want to see another Tre Smith situation. Notre Dame and Iowa would also let him run the ball.

Who the heck were the last white guys to run the ball at Notre Dame and Iowa? George Gipp and Nile Kinnick? And OSU, when did a white guy get touches out of the backfield there? Just cause they play some white guys at receiver and linebacker and once in a while in the defensive backfield does not mean that a white guy will run the ball there.

KG2422

Mentor
A few years back Iowa had a rash of injuries at tailback. They played a couple of white walk ons there. They weren't that great. Not like Sammy M. Too bad.

whiteCB

Master
jaxvid said:
KJV1 said:

Who the heck were the last white guys to run the ball at Notre Dame and Iowa? George Gipp and Nile Kinnick? And OSU, when did a white guy get touches out of the backfield there? Just cause they play some white guys at receiver and linebacker and once in a while in the defensive backfield does not mean that a white guy will run the ball there.

Jaxvid, the bottom line is when the hell did any BCS conference school feature a white guy at HB. The point is that schools like Iowa, Notre Dame, Ohio St.,ect... haven't had white guys run the ball but other than that they have been fair when it comes to DB and WR. So that right there gives them some crediblity. The reasoning is that those schools might, not saying will, give Sam a shot at HB. Unlike a Michigan, Texas, the SEC, ect...who would never in a million years give McGuffie a chance.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
jaxvid said:
KJV1 said:

Jaxvid, the bottom line is when the hell did any BCS conference school feature a white guy at HB. The point is that schools like Iowa, Notre Dame, Ohio St.,ect... haven't had white guys run the ball but other than that they have been fair when it comes to DB and WR. So that right there gives them some crediblity. The reasoning is that those schools might, not saying will, give Sam a shot at HB. Unlike a Michigan, Texas, the SEC, ect...who would never in a million years give McGuffie a chance.

I agree with you on the gist of what you're saying but I an sure that none of those schools will play a white guy at running back. They get too many highly rated blacks at those spots. Other schools like Texas Tech don't pull in 4 or 5 blue chip black running backs so they might take a chance. And anyone other then a Mountain West school will be very reluctant to take a chance.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Edwards, while not a halfback, ran the ball for ND, and you have to take into account that Wei has only been there 2 years and it isn't like any whites were already on the depth chart when he got there. The exposure as well as ND players usually being overhyped and helps their draft status...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Sam has also visited Oklahoma.I read another article on him where they say his nick name is White Lightening!Now that is really cool.
smiley36.gif
The article also states his vertical leap to be 46 inches!Holy Crap.This kid is amazing.He is one of the very few white running backs in the last several decades to actually get offers from huge Div IA Schools.Maybe there is a glimmer of hope.I personally would love to see him at Notre Dame.Then we could watch him every week.That would really open some eyes in the American Public.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
Add Oklahoma to the PLEASE DO NOT GO THERE LIST with Michigan... They are a team that should have some whites but other than a couple token OL and a QB they rarely have any...

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
This kid looks amazing. My impression from watching him is that he looks like a white Barry Sanders that I didn't think existed.

If the kid is as good as his resume shows, he should only go to a Div. I school, and only a Div. I one that promises to give him significant carries by his second year. Forget Michigan, Alabama (and the worst of them all Florida St.) And if he isn't seeing the ball by his Sophomore year transfer out!

Your Rivals.com ranking gets you nowhere if you don't play! Tre Smith was ranked number 21 out of H.S in the "entire" nation! Compare a teammate of his that wasn't even expected to play HB out of H.S named Brandon Jacobs He smartly transfered out of Auburn (having no chance to play being behind Cadillac and Ronnie Brown and being a lesser player than Tre at the time) to N. Illinois and got to be the starting HB and look how that paid off. He is set to replace Tiki on the Giants. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

SteveB

Mentor
McGuffie is tearing it up on the track like he did on the gridiron. He has long jumped 23'-5" (3rd best in the state), high jumped 6'-4", and ran a 14.67 in the 110h (7th best in the state) and it is still early in the track season. He will make some noise at the state meet this year.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
After seeing him literally hurdle the defender a high jump of 6'4 is less than I expected from him . Great athletes are supposed to be able to high jump their height and McGuffie is what 5'10? For a freak athlete like him I thought his best would be in the high 6 ft range like 6'8 or 6'9. I'm impressed with the long jump and hurdle time though.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Bronk

Mentor
I am praying that Sam stays in Texas to play college ball. If my son wasn't playing varsity football next year, I'd make a point of going out and catching McGuffie's act most Friday nights.

SteveB

Mentor
ToughJ.Riggins said:
After seeing him literally hurdle the defender a high jump of 6'4 is less than I expected from him . Great athletes are supposed to be able to high jump their height and McGuffie is what 5'10? For a freak athlete like him I thought his best would be in the high 6 ft range like 6'8 or 6'9. I'm impressed with the long jump and hurdle time though.

One thing to note is that he has never competed in the high jump in the past. I am sure that he is capable of jumping higher, but he only competed in one meet this season in the high jump, which he won at 6'-4". Maybe if he was against better competition, he would have gone higher.

nhl411

Guru
6'4'' isnt bad at all either..a kid from my old highschool (who is white of course)does like 6'8'' or 6'9'' i believe and hes qualified for nationals...hes like 6'1'' or so id say in case ur wondering

Bart

Hall of Famer
SteveB said:
That is the ultimate Sam highlight reel. Amazing.

It would be nice to see him develop further at the next level. I hope he won't be expected to bulk up and learn how to block better.

PitBull

Guru
That kid hits the hole and then accelerates like crazy! He has tremendous
speed, leg drive, and field vision. He doesn't just run around back and forth
etiher, he's always moving forward in those clips. Extremely impressive. I
just want to see his highlight reel next year!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
It would be nice to see him develop further at the next level. I hope he won't be expected to bulk up and learn how to block better.

I doubt they will try and make him a FB. He's only 5'10, maybe a saftey.
smiley7.gif

White Mike

Guru
from michigan.scout.com

McGuffie was the meet MVP. He won the 110m high hurdle finals in 14.5 seconds (all times hand-timed by several judges, who then confer and pick a 'final time'), despite stumbling at the last hurdle (he ran his preliminary in 14.3 despite again stumbling, this time at the next to last hurdle ... McGuffie never got completely comfortable on the asphalt surface).

McGuffie also won the high jump -- he easily cleared 6-4 to win the event, then had three tries at 6-6 -- with the whole crowd all looking on, he missed on the first two attempts ... then on the third and final try he just barely brushed the bar, and it stayed up, just vibrating slightly for what seemed to be an eternity, at which maybe point a gust of wind or a slight earthquake tremor must've come up because the jiggles increased and the bar slowly slid off.

McGuffie also won the long jump with an easy premins jump of 21-10 ... then he got to jump in the finals by himself and made a 23-3. The 5-11, 190 pounder's speed and power (he's heavily-muscled and broad shouldered -- no 'skinny track guy') in our opinion was most apparent on the long jump.

The asphalt track hurt his high jump mark, and also kept him from getting good height on his broad jump.

TMcGuffie also ran for the Cy-Fair 400 and 800 meter relay teams.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have now watched the film arond five times.I'm in awe everytime.This kid has moves that remind me of guys like L.Tomlinson,and B.Sanders.Sam is flat out incredible.His speed,jumping,juking,and cutting ability are among the best that I have ever seen! The sad thing is that there are probably other white running backs with similar talent that have been screwed over for the past 20-30 years.Thank God for sites like Youtube.com so that the average person can see kids like this playing the game of football at such a high level.Sam McGuffie has the total package.I can't wait to see where he goes to school.His senior year will be incredible!
smiley32.gif