NFL News, Rumors and Musings

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
EXACTLY! Was ticked off when Gerhart went to play behind Peterson. WHY?

Well it was much like when Jacob Hester was Drafted by the Chargers to be Ladainian Tomlinson's back up!
....SAME with Brian Leonard getting Drafted by the RAMS when they had a Top RB in Steven Jackson.
It was a frustrating time !

Can't have a White Bell Cow back!

Sure glad McCaffrey was able to be Traded to the 49ers!
There was no way those 3 incidents were purely coincidence. The top White RB in college going to the team with arguably the top RB in the league already in 3 separate drafts (2007, 2008 & 2010) would have to be statistically impossible. I can’t be convinced otherwise.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-kickoff-rule-change-2023/

The NFL continues to change rules to change the game. These changes have been going on subtly for the past 20 years or so (I have mentioned all the changes to the passing game for several years now which correlates with blacks being magically able to play the qb position - no one questioning the fact the simplified offenses are allowed to exist because of the rule changes). This one allows for all fair catches behind the 25 yard line to be ruled a touchback in an effort to further reduce kickoffs from being returned and essentially give both teams the same field position for the beginning of every offensive possession.

Gator Dad

Guru
There was no way those 3 incidents were purely coincidence. The top White RB in college going to the team with arguably the top RB in the league already in 3 separate drafts (2007, 2008 & 2010) would have to be statistically impossible. I can’t be convinced otherwise.
I definitely agree. The odds of that happening by pure coincidence are 1 divided by 32 to the 3rd power, or 1 in 32,768. No one could convince me either that something with almost a 1 in 33,000 chance of happening just happened to work out that way.

Warhawk_46

Master
EXACTLY! Was ticked off when Gerhart went to play behind Peterson. WHY?

Well it was much like when Jacob Hester was Drafted by the Chargers to be Ladainian Tomlinson's back up!
....SAME with Brian Leonard getting Drafted by the RAMS when they had a Top RB in Steven Jackson.
It was a frustrating time !

Can't have a White Bell Cow back!

Sure glad McCaffrey was able to be Traded to the 49ers!
To my knowledge, it has happened to every great white running back prospect since the 1980’s with the exception of McCaffrey.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
To my knowledge, it has happened to every great white running back prospect since the 1980’s with the exception of McCaffrey.
Not EVERY great White running back ... there have been several that weren’t even drafted at all, including most recently the nation’s leading rusher: Brad Roberts.

El Gringo

Mentor
If I remember right Gerhart also had what I would call hate crimes committed against him by the defense in camp. They really beat the crap
him. I haven’t heard of that ever happening to a black running back.

Snow Plow

Guru
If I remember right Gerhart also had what I would call hate crimes committed against him by the defense in camp. They really beat the crap
him. I haven’t heard of that ever happening to a black running back.
That’s interesting. I never heard that but I can believe it. I always sensed our guys were targeted more in games, but not practice. Guys like Ed Mccaffery would get wrecked by safeties.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I did a search for "Toby Gerhart training camp" and all kinds of relevant posts came up. As I've mentioned before, CF's search function works really well. In many cases it's a better source than search engines as many sites don't keep articles up for long periods of time (for example the link at the end of this article I found using CF's search function no longer links to the article).

Here's one example about the brutality Toby was subjected to:

Vikings offense trying to get on same page
By Jim Souhan
McClatchy News Services

MANKATO, Minn. â€" Toby Gerhart spends more time on the ground than mulch. The Vikings' rookie running back keeps smacking into the Williams Wall, then doing the Gerhart Crawl, after getting blasted by a defense treating him to a purple haze. Tormenting the Stanford kid is a Minnesota sports tradition that dates back to Twins manager Tom Kelly's dismissal of top draft pick David McCarty. "Stanford, boola, boola, boola," Kelly said, and McCarty might as well have started packing right then.

Watching Gerhart somersault backward after hitting the defensive line might be more amusing if it didn't symbolize the Vikings' offense during this training camp, otherwise known as Brett Favre's $20 million negotiating window.

Gerhart, who is supposed to replace Chester Taylor as the backup running back, has often looked slow and timid, which has led the Vikings' veteran defenders to treat him like a tetherball.

OCB â€" Ol' Crazy Brett â€" has become nothing more than a holdout intent on making $20 million this season and reporting to the Vikings on his own timetable. (My best guess has been Aug. 23 all along.)

Sidney Rice remains sidelined with a hip injury that has lingered mysteriously. Mysteriously, because he is the most underpaid player on the team.

Adrian Peterson, following a season in which his fumbling became the major impediment to an otherwise efficient offense, skipped all but four days of the Vikings' offseason workouts and now is slowed by tightness in his left leg. As with Rice, we can wonder if Peterson's newly developed reluctance has anything to do with money.

Percy Harvin has missed seven days of practice following the death of his grandmother.

Center John Sullivan has missed time with a calf injury.

In summary: The Vikings' four best skill players have missed important practice time, Favre's return is not yet imminent, and opening night is a month away.

We should remember that what transformed the Vikings into Super Bowl contenders last year was the precision of their passing offense, and the mutual intuition Favre developed with Rice and Harvin.

Last year, Favre reported before the Vikings' second preseason game, giving him three game weeks to prepare for the season. Then the Vikings opened against Cleveland and Detroit, giving Favre two more weeks of practice.

This year, Favre is unlikely to report before Aug. 23, giving him two game weeks to prepare for a season that will begin in the din of the Superdome against a defense that eight months ago pounded him into the turf.

If the Vikings' offense remains explosive in New Orleans despite all of the negative developments in this camp, it will be a testament to Favre's quarterbacking genius, the skill of the Vikings' coaching staff and the irrelevance of training camp.

If the Vikings' offense misfires on Sept. 9, we will be left to wonder whether Favre's holdout â€" and lengthy absences from camp by other skill position players â€" will have made this season more difficult than it needs to be.

Saturday morning, the Vikings worked on physical running situations, and Gerhart took another beating.

"You try to deliver (hits) more than you take them," he said. "But the 'backers are running through. Everybody is just hitting it. Yeah, you took your fair share of shots, that's for sure.

"It's good work for me and the offensive line. Iron sharpens iron. When you go out and compete against one of the best defenses every single day, you know what to expect and hopefully the games are a little easier."

Childress has noticed his defenders gleefully pounding Gerhart. "Some guys may be doing the knocking down just for good measure" just because," Childress said. "He's got to learn a lot of things about tempo. . . . The great thing is, he gets knocked down, but he gets right back up."

Then again, "Gets up quickly after getting knocked down" is not the kind of testimonial you find on Hall of Fame plaques.

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=22&a=464667

white lightning

Hall of Famer
ESPN saying white athletes are inferior to black athletes. More communist hatred of all white people. This is such a lie yet people
don't question anything. If it's on tv it must be true. This crap has to stop.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Scotty Miller is still the front runner to start in the slot for the Falcons this season. He was an under the radar signing for them and they didn't draft any receivers this year so Scotty may finally get a chance to start.

Kyle Philips is also currently listed as the starting slot receiver for the Titans after an injury-ruined rookie season.

So as of right now we're looking at six starting White receivers this season, with those two joining Kupp, Thielen, Renfrow and Pierce. Charlie Jones may also see significant playing time as a rookie and if Tyler Boyd is injured then he may even start in his place. Pierce, Philips, and Jones are quite young and Miller is still fairly young, so it's not a completely bleak picture at WR despite how few White ones are drafted each year. And if the current hype is to be believed, Dalton Kincaid and Sam LaPorta may be used primarily as receivers, Travis Kelce style, from the get-go rather than being forced to "learn to block" as White TEs routinely are. We'll have to see how Michael Mayer is used by the Raiders.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
rumor has it that “God’s linebacker” (according to the Sports Illustrated cover), Ray Lewis’ son has died of a drug overdose. confirmation is still pending ... where is Tom Iron, because it seems his rule has been confirmed yet again.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Ray Lewis is not a good human being.

He was a pretty fearsome player but not a good guy at all. No shock here

Warhawk_46

Master
I mean he facilitated the murder of someone… and got off Scott-free and then this little issue was essentially buried by the media.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
I mean he facilitated the murder of someone… and got off Scott-free and then this little issue was essentially buried by the media.
correct again, well almost. to my understanding, albeit far from complete, Ray Lewis actually stabbed two people to death after a super bowl during a friendly “dispute.” he didn’t serve any jail time, however, and i don’t recall the NFL “disciplining” him at all (not like the obvious criminal quarterback-turned-wideout Matt Jones, who had the audacity to drink a beer on a golf course and was banished from the League forever).

NikoDuke

Guru
Some interesting tweets from Cole Beasley and others.

Reads like Beasley felt under appreciated by the Bills and maybe Josh didn't step up enough for him. Personally, I think he's wrong on Allen but, I have to give Beasley his credit for being outspoken. I wish he'd speak on the Caste system next.

Phall

Master
Reads like Beasley felt under appreciated by the Bills and maybe Josh didn't step up enough for him. Personally, I think he's wrong on Allen but, I have to give Beasley his credit for being outspoken. I wish he'd speak on the Caste system next.
Easy to forget that Beasley caught a lot of balls from Prescott. His career money is tied to other players' performance. "Chemistry" is only one consideration. Have we ever seen a white "diva" in the football league? To ask is to answer, but maybe there are a few.

jeffcorner

Scotty Miller is still the front runner to start in the slot for the Falcons this season. He was an under the radar signing for them and they didn't draft any receivers this year so Scotty may finally get a chance to start.

Kyle Philips is also currently listed as the starting slot receiver for the Titans after an injury-ruined rookie season.

So as of right now we're looking at six starting White receivers this season, with those two joining Kupp, Thielen, Renfrow and Pierce. Charlie Jones may also see significant playing time as a rookie and if Tyler Boyd is injured then he may even start in his place. Pierce, Philips, and Jones are quite young and Miller is still fairly young, so it's not a completely bleak picture at WR despite how few White ones are drafted each year. And if the current hype is to be believed, Dalton Kincaid and Sam LaPorta may be used primarily as receivers, Travis Kelce style, from the get-go rather than being forced to "learn to block" as White TEs routinely are. We'll have to see how Michael Mayer is used by the Raiders.
Exactly! For the WR & RB positions, things really have a shot at turning the corner. RB is obviously more precarious, but even that potentially could be bright with Steele and Shipley in the 2024 draft..., cautious optimism...