NFL News, Rumors and Musings

Warhawk_46

Master
Reads like Beasley felt under appreciated by the Bills and maybe Josh didn't step up enough for him. Personally, I think he's wrong on Allen but, I have to give Beasley his credit for being outspoken. I wish he'd speak on the Caste system next.
I think Beasley was underused in Buffalo and then unceremoniously discarded after he spoke out against the clot shots.

Allen is the most gifted quarterback in the league, few would argue that (maybe Mahomes) but that doesn't mean he is the best leader. Honestly, the way he caved publicly to Diggs makes me think his leadership is still in need of more development. I think Beasley might be right. By all accounts Dak Prescott is a very good leader and in command in the huddle (I recall hearing about this when he took over for Romo).

jphoss

Mentor
I think Beasley was underused in Buffalo and then unceremoniously discarded after he spoke out against the clot shots.

Allen is the most gifted quarterback in the league, few would argue that (maybe Mahomes) but that doesn't mean he is the best leader. Honestly, the way he caved publicly to Diggs makes me think his leadership is still in need of more development. I think Beasley might be right. By all accounts Dak Prescott is a very good leader and in command in the huddle (I recall hearing about this when he took over for Romo).
I agree the way he caved tells me he’s still hesitant to take full control of this team. I fault the coach here too he needs to tell Allen he’s got his back and for Allen to call out Diggs and put him in his place. This won’t happen however, McDermant is a cuck

Phall

Master
From CBS Sports:

Two-time Pro Bowler says this position (running back) is the worst to play in the NFL right now: 'It literally sucks'

NFL teams have found that they can get almost the same production from a young, cheap running back as they can from an established name. If a team has to choose between a running back making $3 million per year or $11 million per year, they're almost always going to pick the cheaper option, because the production will likely be similar between the two despite the $8 million difference in price tag.

If you want an idea of how ugly things have been for running backs, just consider this. Back in 2013, the franchise tag number for the position was $8.08 million. This year, that number has only gone up to $10.09 million, which is an increase of 25%.

That might sound like a nice bump until you realize that almost every other position has seen its tag number double over that span. Quarterbacks have led the way, going from $14.64 million in 2013 to $32.42 million (an increase of 121 percent). Linebackers have also seen their total increase by more than 100 percent ($9.46 million to $20.93 million) as have defensive tackles ($8.31 million to $18.94 million).

Besides running backs, the lowest percentage jump over the past 10 years has gone to corners, who have "only" seen their tag number jump by 70% ($10.67 million to $18.14 million), which is still substantially more than the bump that running backs have gotten.

The concept that running backs are cheap isn't very new or insightful. I found it interesting that cornerbacks are the next most nameless and interchangeable position group (since there is usually a handful taken in the first round every year). Curious indeed that these are *the two* positions that whites are forbidden from playing. Not much difference who you trot out there... as long as they're not white.

Snow Plow

Mentor
Easy to forget that Beasley caught a lot of balls from Prescott. His career money is tied to other players' performance. "Chemistry" is only one consideration. Have we ever seen a white "diva" in the football league? To ask is to answer, but maybe there are a few.
I agree that there are not many white “divas”. If I have to name one, it would be Johnny Manziel. That is a reach, because it is not in our nature…much like looting, punching teachers, abandoning our children, etc. You have to find extreme cases with us as we are just better.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Scotty Miller is still the front runner to start in the slot for the Falcons this season. He was an under the radar signing for them and they didn't draft any receivers this year so Scotty may finally get a chance to start.

Kyle Philips is also currently listed as the starting slot receiver for the Titans after an injury-ruined rookie season.

So as of right now we're looking at six starting White receivers this season, with those two joining Kupp, Thielen, Renfrow and Pierce. Charlie Jones may also see significant playing time as a rookie and if Tyler Boyd is injured then he may even start in his place. Pierce, Philips, and Jones are quite young and Miller is still fairly young, so it's not a completely bleak picture at WR despite how few White ones are drafted each year. And if the current hype is to be believed, Dalton Kincaid and Sam LaPorta may be used primarily as receivers, Travis Kelce style, from the get-go rather than being forced to "learn to block" as White TEs routinely are. We'll have to see how Michael Mayer is used by the Raiders.
A receiver I neglected to mention is Braxton Berrios, who is currently listed as Miami's starting slot receiver. TE Mike Gesicki is gone and Berrios could well receive Gesicki's targets and more, especially as Gesicki was starkly under-utilized last season. The Dolphins may have a high-flying offense this season if things break right and it's easy to see U of Miami grad Berrios being part of it. If he starts we're currently looking at seven White starting receivers.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A receiver I neglected to mention is Braxton Berrios, who is currently listed as Miami's starting slot receiver. TE Mike Gesicki is gone and Berrios could well receive Gesicki's targets and more, especially as Gesicki was starkly under-utilized last season. The Dolphins may have a high-flying offense this season if things break right and it's easy to see U of Miami grad Berrios being part of it. If he starts we're currently looking at seven White starting receivers.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Since I was little I always admired white guys that could score. On the sports field/court
or with the ladies. I said to myself I'm gonna score too in sports and with girls. Of course I was under the age of 10 but you
get the point. Haha. Yes a little improvement at the wide receiver position in the nfl makes me happy.

Next year could be an influx of hopefully 2 more running backs in Carson Steels and Will Shipley.

Flint

Mentor
That's a bummer. Poor guy, seemed like he had it made and it went wrong for him. He was a 5-star guy at Michigan that was set to take over from Chad Henne, then Lloyd Carr, retired, they brought in Rich Rodriguez who promptly changed the offense to spread so he could bring in his quotablack. Mallet eventually transferred to Arkansas (his home state). He was still a good QB but the interruption hurt him. Now he tragically drowns. RIP

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Gonna miss seeing this legend on the grid iron. Hope he has a great retirement. One of the most dominant defensive players ever!

Yeah, this week he said he would be willing to come out of retirement if someone would pay him $20 million for a single game. I think that it was probably more tongue-in-cheek than anything.

jphoss

Mentor
Any Jets followers here? I saw Quinnen Williams got the most guaranteed money for a defensive tackle ever. I looked up his stats and he had a great 2022 year but besides that looks like he has been a good quality player but not elite. Anyone who watches more Jets game than me know if he’s worth this contract or is it another example of black privilege

Phall

Master
That's a bummer. Poor guy, seemed like he had it made and it went wrong for him. He was a 5-star guy at Michigan that was set to take over from Chad Henne, then Lloyd Carr, retired, they brought in Rich Rodriguez who promptly changed the offense to spread so he could bring in his quotablack. Mallet eventually transferred to Arkansas (his home state). He was still a good QB but the interruption hurt him. Now he tragically drowns. RIP

A bit of revisionist history there. On his way out, Lloyd Carr became very upset with Michigan brass that he couldn't handpick his successor (he wanted to recruit Kirk Ferentz away from Iowa). Allegedly, athletic director Bill Martin preferred former assistant and then-current LSU coach Les Miles, but Martin famously missed his window to negotiate because he was out on a sailboat in the Gulf of Mexico in December of 2007 and couldn't be reached by cell phone. Anyway, Carr was so miffed when Martin hired Rich Rodriguez without consulting him that he (allegedly) told all his players that he'd happily grant and sign their transfer requests before the new coach arrived. Carr (allegedly) advised Mallett to transfer instead of trying out this new-fangled spread offense, leaving the proverbial cupboard bare.

Rodriguez suffered through his inaugural season with walk-ons Steven Threet and Nick Sheridan. With his first full recruiting class, he brought in four-star stud Tate Forcier, who wowed as a true freshman. Unfortunately, Tate smoked his way out of school and football altogether after believing his own hype. The black quarterback you're referring to, Denard Robinson, was basically an unrecruited flyer out of high school, tacked on near the bottom of the incoming class. He stuck at QB because Michigan's 2009 depth chart was literally empty. If Tate hadn't flamed out, Denard probably would have switched positions by junior year (which he did eventually before entering the NFL).

On top of prioritizing a white quarterback to lead his first Michigan team, Rich Rodriguez also signed a white running back, a white wide receiver, and a white safety to scholarships. All three started games as underclassmen. Lloyd Carr, who is basically the quintessential boomer, never managed any of those lofty feats. Some people believe that Lloyd won his national championship with Gary Moeller's players, and you could certainly make a strong case for that. Like any archetypal boomer, Lloyd was great at taking a prosperous enterprise, claiming credit for its successes, running it into the ground, then pouting about it on his way out. Lloyd Carr's grandson CJ, born and raised in Ann Arbor, will play football for Notre Dame next season. It is assumed by many that good ol' Lloyd still harbors his grudge and actively recruited against the institution that gave him so much.

As for Mallett, he was widely considered to have had a "bad attitude" during his four-ish months on campus at Michigan back in 2007 and was described as a loner who had trouble making friends. I don't begrudge him for returning home and really don't know anything else about him. It would have been interesting if he'd stuck around in Ann Arbor instead of being steered away by the sinister boomer villain Lloyd Carr - history is full of what-ifs. It is worth speculating whether *the deadly vaxx* may have played a role in Mallett's drowning death: brain fog, respiratory inhibition, and reduced cardiological function are all well-documented side effects. RIP indeed!

El Gringo

Mentor
A bit of revisionist history there. On his way out, Lloyd Carr became very upset with Michigan brass that he couldn't handpick his successor (he wanted to recruit Kirk Ferentz away from Iowa). Allegedly, athletic director Bill Martin preferred former assistant and then-current LSU coach Les Miles, but Martin famously missed his window to negotiate because he was out on a sailboat in the Gulf of Mexico in December of 2007 and couldn't be reached by cell phone. Anyway, Carr was so miffed when Martin hired Rich Rodriguez without consulting him that he (allegedly) told all his players that he'd happily grant and sign their transfer requests before the new coach arrived. Carr (allegedly) advised Mallett to transfer instead of trying out this new-fangled spread offense, leaving the proverbial cupboard bare.

Rodriguez suffered through his inaugural season with walk-ons Steven Threet and Nick Sheridan. With his first full recruiting class, he brought in four-star stud Tate Forcier, who wowed as a true freshman. Unfortunately, Tate smoked his way out of school and football altogether after believing his own hype. The black quarterback you're referring to, Denard Robinson, was basically an unrecruited flyer out of high school, tacked on near the bottom of the incoming class. He stuck at QB because Michigan's 2009 depth chart was literally empty. If Tate hadn't flamed out, Denard probably would have switched positions by junior year (which he did eventually before entering the NFL).

On top of prioritizing a white quarterback to lead his first Michigan team, Rich Rodriguez also signed a white running back, a white wide receiver, and a white safety to scholarships. All three started games as underclassmen. Lloyd Carr, who is basically the quintessential boomer, never managed any of those lofty feats. Some people believe that Lloyd won his national championship with Gary Moeller's players, and you could certainly make a strong case for that. Like any archetypal boomer, Lloyd was great at taking a prosperous enterprise, claiming credit for its successes, running it into the ground, then pouting about it on his way out. Lloyd Carr's grandson CJ, born and raised in Ann Arbor, will play football for Notre Dame next season. It is assumed by many that good ol' Lloyd still harbors his grudge and actively recruited against the institution that gave him so much.

As for Mallett, he was widely considered to have had a "bad attitude" during his four-ish months on campus at Michigan back in 2007 and was described as a loner who had trouble making friends. I don't begrudge him for returning home and really don't know anything else about him. It would have been interesting if he'd stuck around in Ann Arbor instead of being steered away by the sinister boomer villain Lloyd Carr - history is full of what-ifs. It is worth speculating whether *the deadly vaxx* may have played a role in Mallett's drowning death: brain fog, respiratory inhibition, and reduced cardiological function are all well-documented side effects. RIP indeed!

Great stuff Phall, savage sports journalism!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yet another "high character" NFL player. (Posting it here rather than a team forum as Cook is currently a free agent after being released by Minnesota but will likely be signed by Miami or another team.)

According to a document filed in Dakota County District Court, free agent RB Dalvin Cook offered his accuser in an abuse case $1 million to clear him of any wrongdoing.
The allegations against Cook are abhorrent, to say the least. In an article published by the Star Tribune, Rochelle Olson writes, “Cragg’s latest filing also describes Trimble’s sworn allegations against Cook, saying that after he threw her over a couch and into a coffee table, her forehead and nose gushed blood. When she went upstairs to wash off the blood, Cook followed her, threw her down, pinned her, punched and choked her then grabbed his rifle, pointed it at her head and yelled death threats, the filing said.” Cook reportedly had knowledge of his lawyers offering the victim $800,000 in exchange for “a sworn affidavit exonerating him of any wrongdoing,” and then increased his offer to $1 million after the initial offer wasn’t accepted. A lawsuit for physical and emotional abuse was filed against Cook in November 2021 and is still pending at this time. Cook, who remains a free agent, is scheduled for trial in a Dakota County Court next year.

Phall

Master
I wonder what the tax rate is on civil judgments (or however you classify this sort of hush money). A million bucks is a nice payout for being on the receiving end of a domestic dust up: less so when Uncle Sam bites off 40+%, plus lawyer fees. Maybe Gracelyn Trimble should hold out a little longer.

This is the very first I’ve heard of the incident even though there are pictures online of the girl’s tuned-up face. Perhaps the Vikings got wind of this a little early.

The beating sounds way worse than the fateful Ray Rice punch that effectively ended his career. Without video of this one, public outcry will be far more subdued. Over in the MLB, Trevor Bauer is still serving out an exile after the longest domestic violence suspension in league history by quite some amount - despite having receipts for consensual “rough play” and an admission of gold-digging. (Btw, Bauer is receiving $22 million from the Dodgers this year to not play, and just made the Japanese league all-star team after winning player-of-the-month)

I assume this has to be at least a six-game clip for ol’ Dalvin here.

Phall

Master
There has been a deluge of articles recently in mainstream sports media about the expendability of top-tier running backs. The position with the shortest average career lifespan and highest rate of injuries predictably doesn't warrant long-term, top-dollar NFL contracts. Add to that the league's philosophical shift to pass-first rules and two-back tandems, and average running back salaries have (deservedly) stagnated.

The journalist slant is pro-player, as it almost always is; virtually all the players are black and the owners white, which coincides with the greater media policy. So, the audience is meant to feel sympathy for the star running backs (while ignoring the windfall for the majority of average running backs, who are claiming more salary and carries for themselves). Most of these articles say pretty much the same thing.

The "musing" that I had today was about the inability of basic stats to convey effectiveness. Consider this paragraph:

What is the plan at running back?

Obviously Joe Mixon is a part of it, taking a pay cut to stick as the Bengals' primary ball-carrier. But he's not been the most efficient back of late, averaging fewer than four yards per carry in two of his last three seasons. And with Samaje Perine gone via free agency, their chief alternatives are Trayveon Williams and Chase Brown, who have a combined 47 carries at the NFL level.

Here's the thing: if a running back nets 3.5 yards per carry every single time, his team will march down the field and score a touchdown every single time. If he was that regular, he could accomplish this on just 2.5 yards per carry. Ten such "successful" carries will tally 25-35 total yards.

Now consider a running back who plops down forward for one single yard nine times in a row. On his tenth carry, he rips off a forty yard gain. He's now averaging a gaudy 4.9 yards per carry, but his production has resulted in three punts and one long field goal attempt.

Not even the average Joe Sixpack is too dumb to rattle off twenty reasons why each run is different. Each offensive lineman, defensive lineman, linebacker, blocking tight end / receiver, base defense, offensive set, player-specific plays, schemes, and assignments, snap count, down number, game clock, play clock, score, and a hundred more factors figure into each running play's viability.

So, why are we fed slop about "yards per carry" as a measure of efficiency? I admit that I stopped keeping track of all the advanced baseball metrics, but I do assume that they are rooted in some sort of objective truth, however stilted. It's curious that football is stuck on a lower common denominator for something like this. I believe there is some comfort in just believing what you're told, so there won't ever really be an epiphany about 'running back effectiveness' or whatever on the part of the typical fan. As it relates to this forum, the same theme goes for (virtually) every single running back needing to be black.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Not sure where to put this but it's worth a watch guys!

mqdefault.jpg

Top 10 White Running Backs in NFL History

SOG Football

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
There has been a deluge of articles recently in mainstream sports media about the expendability of top-tier running backs. The position with the shortest average career lifespan and highest rate of injuries predictably doesn't warrant long-term, top-dollar NFL contracts. Add to that the league's philosophical shift to pass-first rules and two-back tandems, and average running back salaries have (deservedly) stagnated.

The journalist slant is pro-player, as it almost always is; virtually all the players are black and the owners white, which coincides with the greater media policy. So, the audience is meant to feel sympathy for the star running backs (while ignoring the windfall for the majority of average running backs, who are claiming more salary and carries for themselves). Most of these articles say pretty much the same thing.

The "musing" that I had today was about the inability of basic stats to convey effectiveness. Consider this paragraph:

Here's the thing: if a running back nets 3.5 yards per carry every single time, his team will march down the field and score a touchdown every single time. If he was that regular, he could accomplish this on just 2.5 yards per carry. Ten such "successful" carries will tally 25-35 total yards.

Now consider a running back who plops down forward for one single yard nine times in a row. On his tenth carry, he rips off a forty yard gain. He's now averaging a gaudy 4.9 yards per carry, but his production has resulted in three punts and one long field goal attempt.

Not even the average Joe Sixpack is too dumb to rattle off twenty reasons why each run is different. Each offensive lineman, defensive lineman, linebacker, blocking tight end / receiver, base defense, offensive set, player-specific plays, schemes, and assignments, snap count, down number, game clock, play clock, score, and a hundred more factors figure into each running play's viability.

So, why are we fed slop about "yards per carry" as a measure of efficiency? I admit that I stopped keeping track of all the advanced baseball metrics, but I do assume that they are rooted in some sort of objective truth, however stilted. It's curious that football is stuck on a lower common denominator for something like this. I believe there is some comfort in just believing what you're told, so there won't ever really be an epiphany about 'running back effectiveness' or whatever on the part of the typical fan. As it relates to this forum, the same theme goes for (virtually) every single running back needing to be black.

I find the whole devaluing of the RB gripe to be quite humorous. Just glad McCaffery got paid. The subtle hints of racism are hinted at by more than one enterprising cucked sports journalist trying to advocate for black players because they are delusional to think blacks really care what some pencil necked dweeb says in their noble cause of fighting for them to get paid. Ironically it's a black on black crime as the league changed the rules to make the QB position more accessible for black QBs who historically had issues until these said rule changes were implemented to allow spread option/rpo schemes become more prevalent in the league. If the blacks playing the RB position want to blame anyone it should be the black QBs who take their carries!

Rocky B

Master
Random post.....Miles Jack retired today..,,,Didn't want to put it on the bust thread, he wasn’t a bust....Just too hyped up....was he better than Puz in Jax? Better than Spillane or Schobert in Pittsburgh? Assumed so, but not.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I find the whole devaluing of the RB gripe to be quite humorous. Just glad McCaffery got paid. The subtle hints of racism are hinted at by more than one enterprising cucked sports journalist trying to advocate for black players because they are delusional to think blacks really care what some pencil necked dweeb says in their noble cause of fighting for them to get paid. Ironically it's a black on black crime as the league changed the rules to make the QB position more accessible for black QBs who historically had issues until these said rule changes were implemented to allow spread option/rpo schemes become more prevalent in the league. If the blacks playing the RB position want to blame anyone it should be the black QBs who take their carries!
Greatest line on running backs whining about not getting paid was nobody spoke up on the death spiral of the fullback position. Now that the running back position is in a similar spiral it's whine city about pay and status.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Greatest line on running backs whining about not getting paid was nobody spoke up on the death spiral of the fullback position. Now that the running back position is in a similar spiral it's whine city about pay and status.
Is the endgame to make the gameplay in the nfl closer to that of the cfl? Just wondering if that’s possible

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Interesting articles that highlights Justin Watson and Luke Musgrave as early breakout candidates!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10086821-6-early-breakout-candidates-from-the-2023-nfl-preseason
I agree with both assessments. Musgrave is a very talented TE, nice to see the Packers whiten this position after years of mediocrity here. I still think that Jordan Love is awful, but TE's get a lot of looks in one-read-and-run offenses so he should have a good year.

Watson should do better than last year's decoy-first act he was put in. None of the receivers mentioned in the article are going to do all that. MVS is the same player he was in Green Bay, serviceable. Moore has been unimpressive so far, and Toney will spend most of his time on IR.

NikoDuke

Mentor
Random post.....Miles Jack retired today..,,,Didn't want to put it on the bust thread, he wasn’t a bust....Just too hyped up....was he better than Puz in Jax? Better than Spillane or Schobert in Pittsburgh? Assumed so, but not.
Jack wasn't a bust but, wasn't noteworthy. If he was White and had the knee injury he had, I don't believe he would've been drafted. Heard he is becoming an electrician. Good luck to him. Wasn't close to the player Poz was...