MLB 2024 Season

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Does 100 pitches per start actually represent the limit of the human body? Or is it a nice, round number we selected arbitrarily? Whatever they're doing to prevent injuries doesn't appear to be working. Giving him another few innings isn't going to end his career.
Well. as I posted some time ago. The players these days begin playing at sometimes 4 years old. They practice almost every day and play all weekend from the time they can walk. The toll on these kids arms is evidence of all the injuries. Growing up in the early 70's we practiced twice a week and played twice a week. Played 10-12 games total and an All-Star game. When you got to around 11-12 years old, the All-Star team played in regional and state-wide, but only the best players played this much. Now, all the players that are wanting to play in college and beyond play in 2-3 times more games and practice all year long. This isn't going to change, so I guess the way they use these players now, especially the pitchers will never be the same again.
BTW, I don't like it and I can't prove this is the reason for all the injuries. JMO.

jphoss

Mentor
I believe this early specialization for kids, especially for pitchers, causes them to strain their tendons and ligaments way before they are physically mature enough to handle it. Kids will play basically year around, not doing any other sports which leads to imbalances and a poor foundation to build a skill set upon. Plus most s&c programs aren’t all that great at helping athletes prevent injuries. Very few trainers work on tendon strength and exercises helpful to the athlete like reverse hypers. I bet most pitchers today can squat double what guys could decades ago but have weaker tendons and ligaments that can’t handle the load. It does no good to have strong muscles but a weak base and an imbalanced body from early specialization

Snow Plow

Mentor
Bobby Witt Jr went 3-4 with 2 HRs and 6 RBI tonight, unfortunately helping to knock out Casey Mize, but Mize is coming off Tommy John and having a solid season.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Bobby Witt Jr went 3-4 with 2 HRs and 6 RBI tonight, unfortunately helping to knock out Casey Mize, but Mize is coming off Tommy John and having a solid season.
Astros Kyle Tucker went 2-4, with 2 HR's, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI and a Walk. Tucker takes over the league lead in HR's with 17 passing The Orioles SS Gunnar Henderson with 16.
Tucker looks like the early favorite for the AL MVP if he can beat out the Angels Ohtani. Henderson and Witt in there as well. Tucker leads the league in Hr's-17, OBP .421, SLG .618, OPS .1.038, OPS+ 197.
AL WAR
Tucker- 3.1
Henderson-3.1
Witt Jr.- 3.0
Ohtani- 3.1
Over in the NL, LA Dodger Mookie Betts is going to be difficult to beat for MVP if someone doesn't pick it up soon. Betts leading the NL in WAR at 3.4
Philadelphia's Alex Bohm is having a nice season but is only at 2.0 WAR
Bryce Harper hit his 11th HR.

Snow Plow

Mentor
Astros Kyle Tucker went 2-4, with 2 HR's, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI and a Walk. Tucker takes over the league lead in HR's with 17 passing The Orioles SS Gunnar Henderson with 16.
Tucker looks like the early favorite for the AL MVP if he can beat out the Angels Ohtani. Henderson and Witt in there as well. Tucker leads the league in Hr's-17, OBP .421, SLG .618, OPS .1.038, OPS+ 197.
AL WAR
Tucker- 3.1
Henderson-3.1
Witt Jr.- 3.0
Ohtani- 3.1
Over in the NL, LA Dodger Mookie Betts is going to be difficult to beat for MVP if someone doesn't pick it up soon. Betts leading the NL in WAR at 3.4
Philadelphia's Alex Bohm is having a nice season but is only at 2.0 WAR
Bryce Harper hit his 11th HR.
Awesome summary!

Tucker is having an excellent season. Glad to see Witt and Henderson do well also. They hit for average, hit for power, steal bases, and both play shortstop.

The ohtani gambling scandal was covered up awfully quick. I was pretty young at the time, but I remember the Pete Rose scandal being huge. I would bet money that if Ohtani was a white player he'd be blackballed like Bauer but MLB won't risk offending a minority group, in my opinion.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The ohtani gambling scandal was covered up awfully quick. I was pretty young at the time, but I remember the Pete Rose scandal being huge. I would bet money that if Ohtani was a white player he'd be blackballed like Bauer but MLB won't risk offending a minority group, in my opinion.
They have already targeted Ohtani’s former teammate David Fletcher in a probe.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
No doubt MLB wants Asian viewership so swept Ohtani's wrong under the rug.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Does 100 pitches per start actually represent the limit of the human body? Or is it a nice, round number we selected arbitrarily? Whatever they're doing to prevent injuries doesn't appear to be working. Giving him another few innings isn't going to end his career.
Skenes another solid outing. Pitched ONLY 6 innings again giving up 1 run and stuck out 3. However, the Pirates blew a 5-1 lead and Skenes was denied his second win. Pirates ended up losing the game7-6.

that question should be addressed to Nolan Ryan who threw 150+ pitches on a regular basis and once threw 235 pitches in a single game. He must cringe at what he sees in todays game.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
Gunnar Henderson with his 17th HR yesterday is now tied with Kyle Tucker for the league lead.

Snow Plow

Mentor
24 year old Tigers pitcher, Reece Olson, gets his first W today and jumps up to 5th in the MLB in ERA.

Gator Dad

Guru
The 100 pitch limit is like 6 feet of social distancing: It's more about making the policy maker and the public feel "good" than the health of the player.

Warhawk_46

Master
I’m not sure if you guys saw this or not but MLB officially incorporated Negro league statistics. This now displaces Babe Ruth as the slugging leader and OPS leader as well as Ted Williams as the batting average leader.

The great replacement is well and alive in baseball as well. This is infuriating.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I’m not sure if you guys saw this or not but MLB officially incorporated Negro league statistics. This now displaces Babe Ruth as the slugging leader and OPS leader as well as Ted Williams as the batting average leader.

The great replacement is well and alive in baseball as well. This is infuriating.

I saw this too. White erasure at it's finest. Of course the pre-integration MLB was a better, more competitive league with better players and the negro league was a lower level of play but since it was a league comprised of magical upsiders no one seems to mention the drop off in level of competition.

I saw this too. White erasure at it's finest. Of course the pre-integration MLB was a better, more competitive league with better players and the negro league was a lower level of play but since it was a league comprised of magical upsiders no one seems to mention the drop off in level of competition.
Negro league seasons were also 60 games I believe. Josh Gibson, the new "leader" in several offensive stats, played an average of 30 games per season over 17 years, accumulating 1855 at-bats compared to Ted Williams' 7706. Far easier to maintain batting averages, slugging percentages and so forth. On top of that, pitching was noticeably behind hitting at the negro league level. Beyond a few outliers like Satchel Paige, the negro leagues had very few pitchers that translated to the MLB, which certainly points to a lack of overall depth.

Overall a nonsensical move that can only be viewed as politically motivated, or maybe a desperation play by MLB to win back the black audience.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

Something unimaginable previously. It isn't so much that subversives push this agenda as that there is apparently zero pushback, no "men" with the basic integrity to object. It's history being weaponized to punish Whites for the past and continue the "Great Leap Forward" even while so many Americans are fed up with "wokeness."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an excerpt from an excellent article by J. B. Cash written almost 20 years ago. Right on target, as always:

Whitewashing Sports History

Another attempt to revise history is to discredit achievements made before the wide-scale integration of sports. Bonds himself has promoted this revisionist history attempt by indicating Ruth's home run records are in some way illegitimate because they occurred before black players were allowed to play Major League baseball. The media has picked this up and repeated it over and over without any critical thinking about the issue. The claim is absolutely ridiculous and should anyone repeat it they should be challenged immediately.

First, the only black presence that would have affected Ruth's home run records would have occurred if there were black pitchers. Other players would not have made a difference to Ruth's career stats unless you figure that there would have been some "Barry Bonds" types of outfielders butchering easy plays and adding extra base hits to Ruth's already prodigious numbers.

The presence of black pitchers affecting Ruth's career totals is laughable! Who would that have been? There have been very few good black pitchers in the nearly 60 years since the sport was integrated. Quick, name the five best black baseball pitchers in the history of baseball  Bob Gibson, Ferguson Jenkins, Vida Blue, Don Newcombe and who? Satchel Paige? Okay, say Satchel Paige managed to get Ruth out a few times. That would mean that Ruth could clean up against the likes of Dontrelle Willis and any other black pitchers that would have somehow made their way to the big leagues.

Thus if there had been more black pitchers during Ruth's career, and since black pitchers are not historically very good, we can assume once again that Ruth's offensive stats would be greater than they are. Humorously, one can also say that Barry Bonds has benefited from not having to face black pitchers. What really good black pitchers has he had to face? By this logic Bonds' records should be suspect because there are so few American blacks playing Major League Baseball. What difference does it make if blacks are barred from the game due to segregation or don't play the game due to disinterest  the result is the same  none of all those (supposedly) superior black pitchers that would have deflated offensive stats.

Some would say that the absence of hispanic players is also a cause of inflated stats since there are at lease SOME good hispanic pitchers. Not in 1930 however. The areas that produce hispanic players were lightly populated and were dirt poor. This is another feature of the ridiculousness of revisionist history  expecting present day circumstances to be the same in the long ago past. Perhaps one day a race of aliens will come to earth and be good at baseball. Will that change the validity of Barry Bonds' records?

The conspicuous lack of quality black pitchers puts in question another dubious aspect of revisionist history â€â€- the Negro Leagues. We are constantly bombarded by tales of the greatness of Negro League players. Today, any remaining living players from that era are treated like heroes and we end up with players of dubious talent being welcomed into the Hall of Fame on a periodic basis.

The real truth of the Negro Leagues is so embarrassing that it is amazing that revisionists even bring it up. It is only through the fear that modern pro-black forces exert that the history of the Negro Leagues can even be taken seriously. Josh Gibson: 800 homers. Sure. Why not 1,000? Who will ever know? Most of the games he played in were basically exhibitions against the local team. No one kept any serious statistics. Teams came and went. Players changed teams during the game. It was a joke by any standard of the word "league". Baseball vaudeville would be more accurate. But who in the media can risk speaking the truth without the racial police destroying his career?

So we have to endure the tales of the Negro Leagues like they were a black version of the National League and not what they really were, a black version of a softball beer league. Compare this to the stats for the pre-1900 professional baseball leagues. There is a box score for every one of those games. Complete stats can be found on players from the National Association from over 120 years ago! I can tell you to the number how many homeruns Jim O'Rourke hit in 1880 (6). We have no idea how many homeruns Josh Gibson hit in 1941. Of course to criticize blacks for sloppy record keeping is getting too close to other sensitive issues about African Americans so that discussion is off the table also and instead we have to treat the propaganda as truth instead of the pure fabrication it really is.

There are many other examples. Olympic records, pre-Negro, basketball pre-Negro, football pre-Negro, all derided as inferior because the caste system that fills those events with blacks was not in existence 60 years ago. Thus everything that was all white or nearly so is re-written as inferior, everything that is nearly all black, or nearly so is considered better. We hear it every day, that the ruinous culture that we must wade through every day is somehow better then the gleaming, glittering America of the early to mid-1900's. Only in America can the bad be made into good and the good is considered bad. Welcome to the 21st century!

PhillyBirds

Mentor
The idea of the MLB and negro leagues being even close to equivalent in level of play is laughable, and frankly just a statistical improbability. There were exceptional ballplayers in the negro leagues, but think about the numbers for a second here.

In 1930 the US population was 88.7% white and 9.7% black. The idea that equivalent talent existed in separate populations of 108,000,000 and 11,000,000 is a sad joke, and so is this exercise in erasing and revising history that has stood for decades.

Making an absolute mockery of the best players of all time by including questionable negro league statistics is embarrassing for baseball. Oh and by the way, statisticians claim they've only researched 70% of negro leagues stats, so get ready to magically find more hits and home runs over the coming years for the "new" greatest baseball players of all time. Thanks MLB!

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
so get ready to magically find more hits and home runs over the coming years for the "new" greatest baseball players of all time. Thanks MLB!
......especially when these idiots figure out who the Japanese homerun king is. Sadaharu Oh hit 868 homeruns......and do we now combine Ichiro Suzuki's career from Japan to MLB. If so, he would be the all-time hits leader ahead of Pete Rose.
It's ridiculous to combine/compare leagues especially the Negro League to MLB. They can't find accurate stats and many of the Negro League games were merely exhibition games. No one really knows for sure how many homeruns Negro Leaguer Josh Gibson hit. The Negro League is possibly comparable to AA or AAA baseball.
Although I'm enjoying Caitlyn Clark being the best women's BB on the planet, I was furious, when the media haled her as the all-time scoring leader in women's and men's college basketball surpassing Pete Maravich. Not exactly true as Maravich was only allowed to play 3 seasons and didn't have the benefit of the 3-point line. Played in about 2/3 amount of games Clark played.
Pretty soon they're going to combine the WNBA stats with the NBA stats.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Josh Gibson is now MLB's all-time leader in career batting average at .372, surpassing Ty Cobb's fabled .367. Gibson's alleged .466 batting average in 1943 is MLB's new second best single season mark, behind someone named Tetelo Vargas, who supposedly hit .471 that same year. (And of course 1943 was a WWII year when MLB had been stripped of many of its best known players; one can only imagine the local softball league level of play in the Negro Leagues that year.) That Gibson and the others never even played in the majors, and that as J. B. Cash wrote their record keeping was scattershot and often not kept at all, is irrevelant.

Take a look at the new, communist-(de)constructed list of single season batting averages. What an atrocity! This is far more objectionable and wounding than simply tearing down statues, yet there is no opposition to it, or more likely none allowed little as there may be.

Josh Gibson is now MLB's all-time leader in career batting average at .372, surpassing Ty Cobb's fabled .367. Gibson's alleged .466 batting average in 1943 is MLB's new second best single season mark, behind someone named Tetelo Vargas, who supposedly hit .471 that same year. (And of course 1943 was a WWII year when MLB had been stripped of many of its best known players; one can only imagine the local softball league level of play in the Negro Leagues that year.) That Gibson and the others never even played in the majors, and that as J. B. Cash wrote their record keeping was scattershot and often not kept at all, is irrevelant.

Take a look at the new, communist-(de)constructed list of single season batting averages. What an atrocity! This is far more objectionable and wounding than simply tearing down statues, yet there is no opposition to it, or more likely none allowed little as there may be.

I'm a bit surprised it took them this long to foist this one. When black players came into the majors they didn't hit ".466" and ".472."

Snow Plow

Mentor
I'm a bit surprised it took them this long to foist this one. When black players came into the majors they didn't hit ".466" and ".472."
The .471 was 57 for 121 in 30 games. This would be mid May in a typical MLB season. Just an awful decision.