Miscellaneous Boxing News

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
Yes two cards and as far as I can tell only the Polish veteran is the only White male fighter on the two cards. I could watch the DAZN card but I do not expect a win from Sulecki as he probably does not have the power to hurt the Mexican American prospect but he could expose him with his tricky style.
I happened to catch the Sulecki fight and he seemed game for a round or 2 but ended up looking every bit of a veteran fighter who is fading on the downward trend of his career. His opponent, heavily hyped Pacheco, didn’t look like a fighter with world class potential, but in the end he was able to stop Sulecki with a pretty good body shot.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I happened to catch the Sulecki fight and he seemed game for a round or 2 but ended up looking every bit of a veteran fighter who is fading on the downward trend of his career. His opponent, heavily hyped Pacheco, didn’t look like a fighter with world class potential, but in the end he was able to stop Sulecki with a pretty good body shot.
Yes this sums up the fight as the Pole has seen better days and was fighting a division up from his prime division. As for Pachecho he will be going from the shallow end of a pool to the ocean without any life vests if he fights anything close to a prime Alvarez in a mandatory fight. He still has not had a chin check or had his stamina tested.

PS Monster Inoue fights on Tuesday morning and he fighting Irish veteran TJ Doheny in a 122 pound undisputed title fight in Japan. This is a tough assignment for the Irishman based out of Australia as nobody has seriously hurt or been competitive with the Japanese sensation but in the last fight of Inoue he suffered a flash knockdown before he pummeled his opponent in submission.

There has been talk of an Inoue vs Tank fight as the crown prince of Saudi Arabia has proposed the bout but this similar to Crawford fighting Alvarez seems more fantasy than reality as Inoue would have to jump 3 divisions to fight Davis as 135 pounds.

Updating the Inoue fight and once Inoue had a feel for his Irish opponent it was largely one way traffic until Doheny retired due to back spasms early in the 7th round.

Similar to Tank and many other fighters he will throw away rounds while gauging his opponents tendencies and then slowly start breaking down his opponents.

During the broadcast the announcing team pitched Bam Rodriguez for Inoue and this makes more sense then Inoue jumping to make a super fight with Tank Davis as the Mexican American star will only be going up 7 pounds and judging by the size disparity from Tuesday morning, Inoue could meet Bam at a catchweight around 120 quite comfortably.

Purse demands should not hold up this fight as a Saudi backed fight would set a record for weight divisions in the range of this proposed fight.

Last edited:

Booth

Mentor
Knockout of the year candidate. Moreno Fendero kos Carlos Ronner. I hope he will be ok.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Boxing starts tonight from Montreal, Canada at 9 PM ET on ESPN +.
This is a slow weekend for boxing as all I have seen are club level shows in England and North America. DAZN had a card tonight with Ivan Redkach as a b side opponent to Jose Zepeda.

I missed the Quebec card from Thursday but both Chechen fighters easily beat their opponents and could probably get an upgrade of opponents in their next bouts as these fights were essentially live gym sparring sessions.

Probably the biggest news of the week was the crown prince of Saudi Arabia stated he wanted to drastically reduce the North American PPV price points to reduce piracy. This would be a welcome reprieve for the fans of the sport who are the only fans of major sporting events that have to pay live ticket prices for televised sports. As long as the Saudi backers do not have any qualms about red ink we could see fan friendly price points of 20US or even 15 US for ppv events that typically cost 80 to 100 dollars.https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/30212047/boxing-pay-per-view-price-joshua-dubois-turki-alalshikh/

white is right

Hall of Famer
Nobody has mentioned that Canelo Alvarez has a PPV this weekend against Edgar Berlanger. The various sports books have odds from 16 to 1 to upwards of 20 to 1 for Alvarez. At 20 to 1 Berlanger is a live dog IMO that pays 9.5 to 1, I know there is a wide gulf in experience and accomplishments but Berlanger is a naturally larger man who has a perfect ledger to this point so he will not be in survival mode from the first bell like Charlo was.

A similar undercard bout has Caleb Plant fighting unproven Trevor McCumby for the interim WBA strap at 168 pounds. I could repeat my views on this as the fight seems like poor man's version of the main event.

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
Mccumby could be a live underdog against Plant. If I remember correctly he was on his way up the ranks but popped positive for PEDs which set his career back several years. Should be a good fight unless Mccumby folds like Mike Lee did against Plant.

As for Canelo/Berlanga, I’m not sure how much Berlanga will have to offer Canelo, but his size should carry him into later rounds.