Kevin Curtis-Stokely clone

sunshine

Mentor
Is it me or does Curtis resemble Stokely in every which way including same number? Both had similar college careers(small Univ.,big numbers) and share same size and speed.Plus they both play at home on artificial turf and are third receivers on pass happy teams. As for Martz he is quite an enigma and can be very frustrating in his whole approach on gameday. That said if he manages to win a playoff game or two we can safely say there are worse coaches out there.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He does look alot like Stokley but Curtis is even faster on the field.He has blazing speed and does not get to
play that much.He should be a starter.He could easily get
over 1000 yards.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Both were also drafted fairly high (and very high for white WRs), Curtis in the third round and Stokley in the fourth. Curtis has world class speed, while Stokley is the better all-around receiver. But that doesn't mean Curtis can't be just as good if not better. He just needs more playing time. I fear that Martz will get the heave-ho and the new regime will move McDonald ahead of Curtis. Martz may also move in that direction even if he stays. Let's hope not.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
If the Rams are smart,they will get the ball to Curtis
and Dane Looker on Sunday.The reason I say this is that
both Holt & the other starters will be double covered the
whole game.Curtis,Looker,& even McDonald are not the guys
the defense will be keying on.That is why Bulger needs
to exploit this weakness in the defense.I see this being
a close game but the Rams have a good chance to win.I
would like to see the Rams win with Kevin Curtis scoring
the winning touchdown.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well,they got the ball to Curtis.He had 104 yards
receiving in a huge playoff victory.They will need
to him involved if they are to have any chance of
upsetting the Falcons.The offensive line is also
going to have to do a better job which will be very
difficult because it is ravaged with injuries.Holt
and Bruce will see double teams all day long.That is
will guys like Kevin Curtis,McDonald,Looker,and possibly
even Furrey come into play.The Rams receiving corp. is
as good as anyones in all of football.Bulger is starting
to realize how much a factor Curtis and the rest of the
guys can be.I will stay by my pick,the Rams will beat
the Falcons in a huge upset!Score - 28-24.

Kaptain

Master
If you take Michael Vick out of the line-up the Falcons actually look more white-freindly than any team in the playoffs. I'm routing for Vick to get hurt and the Falcons to win the Super Bowl.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to say the Colts and Rams are a little more white friendly than the Falcons. I'd put Atlanta a solid third out of the eight teams left, with their four excellent white starters on defense along with the very under-rated and under-utilized Brian Finneran. The Falcons have regressed a bit since Jim Mora took over for Dan Reeves. It was Reeves who put together their defense and at one time had Finneran (who is now the third receiver) starting at WR along with Bob Christian at FB. Having two white players from the Atlanta defense make the Pro Bowl this year in spite of the unfairness of the voting process is definitely quite an achievement in this prolonged era of nearly all-black defenses, but it remains to be seen where Mora will take the team from here.

Speaking of Christian, remember the '01 season when because of a string of injuries to the team's "real" running backs he actually got to run the ball some? All he did was end the season with a 6.5 yards per carry rushing average (44 carries for 284), plus another 392 receiving yards. And this after ten seasons of knocking heads with linemen and linebackers. He was a star runner at Northwestern, yet another white running back whose talents were squandered.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I know this thread's been "hijacked," but here's another tidbit about Christian to help people who are just learning about the caste system understand that it's been in place for a long time now in the NFL. In 1995 Christian gained 158 yards rushing while a member of the Carolina Panthers, or roughly 10 percent of what the leaders at running back get in a season. That paltry tally was obtained by getting all of two or three rushing attempts per game.

That was the most yards by any white "running back" in the NFL that year. Alstott was a rookie the next season and he has been the perennial "leader" among white running backs ever since, if it can be called that, though he of course is only a part-time ball carrier at best and is near the end of his career. After Alstott, the next white leader may be. . . Dan Kreider, or maybe an aging Rob Konrad, with say 15 rushing yards for the year. How low will it go? Maybe all the way to zero.

John Riggins was the last white star at running back. After he retired in the mid-80s there were no featured white running backs until Merrill Hoge with the Steelers in the late '80s and early '90s. That ended the day Bill Cowher was hired to replace Chuck Noll.

After Hoge, Tommy Vardell was Cleveland's main ball carrier in '93, from the fullback position. O. J. Simpson even declared during one broadcast in '93 that Vardell had Pro Bowl talent. However, Tommy had lots of knee problems and never did much after '93.

Since Touchdown Tommy, Alstott has been the only white allowed to run the ball on even an occasional basis, except for the occasional extreme situation where several black tailbacks are injured and a white moves to the forefront for a game or two only to quickly be replaced at the first opportunity.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm still picking the Rams to win tommorow.I see Curtis
exploding again.I.Bruce has been a little banged up,so
Kevin might even get to play a bigger role.If they can
give Bulger a little time,he will eat the Falcons alive.
I will predict 31-28 rams win.Other picks?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see Curtis and Stokley have big games. Big surprise there, huh? Normally I root for teams to repeat, because that is more difficult than winning it the first time and is the mark of a true champion. But I'll be rooting for the Colts to knock off the Patriots. Nothing against New England, but I'd love to see Indy go all the way. And if they don't, you know the critics will constantly mention it about Peyton Manning -- "he's never won the big one," etc. Indianapolis against New England is a classic matchup, hopefully it will be a memorable game.

I'll also be rooting for the Rams big time against the Falcons (because of the Vick factor), and the Steelers. Don't care that much who wins Philly-Minnesota.

speedster

Mentor
I think the Minny-Philly game is the canceled out game because whoever wins you have eliminated one over-rated,showboat QB,but you still have one left.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
I was thinking, if the Rams should win, who would they have a better shot of beating -- the Vikes or Eagles. I believe the Rams would have home field advantage over the Vikings. I don't know how much of an advantage that would be since the Vikings are an indoors team, also. Maybe, it's something to consider. Anyway, that all hinges on tonights game.

speedster

Mentor
Don't forget Craig James,right winger.John Riggins last year in 1985 was Craig's best as he had over 1,200 yards rushing,made the Pro Bowl and led the Pats to the Super Bowl,but then James ran into some injuries over the next couple of years and soon retired,so he was the last HB to be featured as a runner.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Kevin Curtis had 5 catches for 113 yards in the first
half with one touchdown.Man can this kid fly.It sucks
that the Rams are so pathetic on defense.They are down
by 11 at the halftime.Keep it up Curtis!Go Rams!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN Insider is reporting today that Isaac Bruce may be released for salary cap reasons: "St. Louis has good, young depth at receiver, and Bruce's salary over the next four years (from $4 million to $7 million) isn't a drop in the bucket. The Rams might have to let a good player go before he becomes a liability."

This is only speculation at this point but needless to say, ifthe Rams part ways with Bruceit will greatly increaseCurtis' chances of being a starter in '05.

Well i am a very big fan of Bruce and all i can say is i hope he finds another team because its time for Curtis to shine. Lets hope Stokley, Bennett and now Curtis all have great years. Lets say all over 1000 yards. We can only hope

white lightning

Hall of Famer
As good as Bruce is,Curtis has even more speed.He has
the potential to be a consistant number one receiver,
a go to guy,and a deep threat all in one.This could be
what Kevin needs to be a superstar!It's great news.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

whiteCB

Master
Curtis looks like the real deal and could be starting on a lot of other teams. Tough Issac Bruce is getting old so i could see Kevin taking over his starting role in a couple seasons or maybe even next year. Altough imagine if it were a white guy saying like DeAngelo Hall did that for example "The guy has got to be the best black kicker I've ever seen." He'd be hung by the media. It's little Sh!t like that that pisses he off.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wish Curtis was the number one receiver on the Rams.With
a good qb like Bulger throwing him the ball,he could lead
the nfl in receiving.I still think he will have at least
800 yards receiving as a 2nd or 3rd receiver.Maybe if all
goes well,he can crack the 1000 yard barrier.This guy is
probably one of the top 5 fastest receivers in all of
the nfl!He can flat out fly.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Even though Curtis is around 28,he is still one of the
fastest players in the nfl.I would love to see him get
in the NFL's Fastest Man Contest to see how he stacks up.
Coach Martz has said on several occasions that Kevin is
the fastest player on the Rams.This kid can fly!I would
guess he is in the 4.3 range.

Anyone remember the name of the Colorado State kick returner/wide receiver that ran like the wind? Edited by: hollywoodnorth1

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Jeremy Bloom I think.