Kevin Curtis-Stokely clone

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Why isn't this surprising? Even though several teams were interested in signing him, Isaac Bruce re-signs with the Rams after they cut him. Will the Rams promote the younger and faster Curtis to be the starter opposite Torry Holt this year, or will the "highly respected" Bruce continue to start until he needs a walker to get around?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2362534

bigunreal

Mentor
Just another in the seemingly endless series of disappointing events that occur every season in the NFL. One of the white-hating fantasy sites (the same one which recently referred to Adam Archuletta with the obligatory "overrated" term) reported the re-signing of Bruce, and stated that the fantasy value of Curtis thus took a major hit. They further reported that it was "hard to imagine" Curtis starting over Bruce next season. Yeah, hard to imagine a much faster, younger and more productive receiver being put on the field by an organization that is supposedly dedicated to putting the best players on the field in order to win.

robcat

Guru
Curtis is a restricted free agent which means he can sign with anty team but the rams have the right to match the offer. Curtis could start for most teams in the National Football League, but will any offer him starting pay and if they do the Rams may match it to keep him behind Bruce forever.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Rams signed free agent safety Corey Chavous from the Vikings. Looks like he'll be replacing Adam Archuleta, who is rumored to be headed to Washington (which just cut safety Matt Bowen, who was reduced to backup status last season by Joe Gibbs). The signing of Chavous and the re-signing of Bruce for starter's money has gotta make you wonder if the new Scott Linehan regime is moving to quickly make the Rams a typical virtually all-black NFL team.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Rams actually started two white safeties for a while last season, but Archuleta is likely gone and I just found out that Mike Furrey, who did an outstanding job after converting to safety from wide receiver, was cut last week. The Rams defense was terrible last year, but Linehan's priority is to replace the two white safeties.

Yeah, Looker will get cut and it doesn't look very good at all for Curtis. Let's hope he signs with another team and the Rams don't match it.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
The Rams actually started two white safeties for a while last season, but Archuleta is likely gone and I just found out that Mike Furrey, who did an outstanding job after converting to safety from wide receiver, was cut last week.

You have got to be kidding me. Furrey played very well.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I thought so too. He seemed to be really getting the hang of it. Some other NFL team will be lucky to sign Furrey. I seem to remember him having two interceptions in a game towards the end of the season and some ferocious hits.

hedgehog

Mentor
I have a strange feeling the topic of this thread "Kevin Curtis-Stokely clone" is going to become reality. Curtis will get a decent offer from the Rams, just like Stokely did and then mysteriously end up being the fourth receiver, behind Macdonald.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Unconfirmed report that the redskins just signed Adam Archuletta to a free agent contract. Does this mean they have given up on the troublemaker Sean Taylor or will they be teaming up together. Not a bad safety duo there if Taylor can keep his head on straight. By the way Archuletta is every bit the athlete Taylor is if not better.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As best I know, Curtis signed a one-year tender offer with the Rams for the league minimum. He was a restricted free agent yet I never read one peep anywhere of any team in the NFL showing any interest in him.

Curtis issoon to be 28, he had an almost perfect Wonderlic score. He's a terrific and proven combination of speed, play making abilityand intelligence, yet may well languish behind Isaac Bruce again this season. Will he ever get a chance to start, and if so will he be under the age of 30 when he gets it?
smiley11.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I would like for Brutal or I mean Zach to explain how Kevin Curtis is the fastest player on the Rams.No one disputes this.Remember,according to you,this is not possible.Any player of coach on that team will admit this.The coach has said it on many occasions.There are very few cornerbacks in whole league that can keep up with Curtis.That is what you call pure white speed Brutal!Open your eyes like you tell us and explain why your superior black athletes can be out run?lol.

robcat

Guru
What more can Curtis show than what he has already? If no teams wanted to sign him hes as strong an example of antiwhite bias as any. And there are so many can we even keep track of all them anymore.

whiteCB

Master
white lightning said:
I would like for Brutal or I mean Zach to explain how Kevin Curtis is the fastest player on the Rams.No one disputes this.Remember,according to you,this is not possible.Any player of coach on that team will admit this.The coach has said it on many occasions.There are very few cornerbacks in whole league that can keep up with Curtis.That is what you call pure white speed Brutal!Open your eyes like you tell us and explain why your superior black athletes can be out run?lol.

Zach won't respond because he knows hes wrong and has nothing to counter you with.

The Duke

Most things i have read assume without question that Bruce is still the second starter with Holt. I guess after Bruce finally retires the Rams will spend a high draft choice on a receiver who will step in and take his place. By then the excuse will be that Curtis is to old to be a starter.

robcat

Guru
The Duke said:
Most things i have read assume without question that Bruce is still the second starter with Holt. I guess after Bruce finally retires the Rams will spend a high draft choice on a receiver who will step in and take his place. By then the excuse will be that Curtis is to old to be a starter.

He has the highest Wonderlic in the league and 4.3 speed but still isnt starting at age 28. Most black receivers are in their 6th or 7th year of starting by that age. Maybe by the time Curtis is 34 he'll pick up the Rams offensive scheme well enought to start.
smiley11.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Even thought Kevin won't be an everyday starter like he should be,don't be suprised if he goes over 1000 yards this season!It mostly depends on Marc Bulger staying healthy and the O'Line giving him enough time to get the ball down field.Bulger is a great qb.I would love to see them start Curtis and just bring Bruce off the bench.If they really want to keep him healthy,do the right thing.Come on Rams,start Curtis!

Kaptain

Master
Don Wassall said:
As best I know, Curtis signed a one-year tender offer with the Rams for the league minimum.  He was a restricted free agent yet I never read one peep anywhere of any team in the NFL showing any interest in him. 

Curtis is soon to be 28, he had an almost perfect Wonderlic score.  He's a terrific and proven combination of speed, play making ability and intelligence, yet may well languish behind Isaac Bruce again this season.  Will he ever get a chance to start, and if so will he be under the age of 30 when he gets it? 
smiley11.gif

The league minimum!!!!? You've got to be kidding. That's an indication of what the Rams think of Curtis' talents. There is no way he should be a league minimum player. He clearly should be starting. Does any starting WR get paid the league minimum? Does any third reciever?

pt.guard2

Guru
Did anyone else see the 2006 scouting rpt on Kevin Curtis from ESPN? Check out the last sentence.....

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 68 | Key
Alert: None

Comment:
Shows good top-end speed when tracking the ball downfield, has the leaping ability to compete for jump balls and flashes the ability to make the big play downfield. Reads defenses fairly well and almost always settle into a soft spot working against zone coverage. Catches the ball with hands away from frame, can catch passes in stride and can adjust to passes thrown outside frame. Doesn't use hands that well and has some problems getting a clean release working against press coverage. Lacks prototypical heights and has to time jump well to compete for jump balls. Doesn't have breakaway speed and isn't much of a threat to go the distance when gets a seam.

How can a player who is acknowledged as one of the fastest players in the league and who is known for making big plays lack breakaway speed and not be considered a threat to go the distance?!?!?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
These assclowns must have a special file they bring up every time it's time to describe a whitefootball playerand then they plug in the phrases out of a template depending on which position the "overachiever" plays.

That must have been Kevin's half-brother LaKeevin, who shares the same mother but has a black father, who beat Jacksonville in overtime last year with an 83 yard catch and run. Who had a 57 yard TD against the Colts and a 56 yard TD against the Texans. Who blew up in the Rams playoff game against Atlanta (including a 57 yard TD) after the '04 season, and who has made many other big plays in the limited playing time given him.

BTW, Isaac Bruce's longest reception last year was 46 yards. In fact Bruce has had just one catch of over 50 yards (for 56) in the last four seasons combined.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
They contradict themselves throughout:

"Shows good top-end speed when tracking the ball downfield,</font>" but - "Doesn't have breakaway speed and isn't much of a threat to go the distance when gets a seam.</font>"

and

"has the leaping ability to compete for jump balls,</font>" but - "Lacks prototypical heights and has to time jump well to compete for jump balls.</font>"

and

"Catches the ball with hands away from frame, can catch passes in stride and can adjust to passes thrown outside frame,</font>" but - "Doesn't use hands that well.</font>"

Who the hell are they talking about? They must be deliberately talking in circles to down-play Curtis' ability. They don't want to praise him but cannot legitimately get away with saying he sucks. So they damn him instead with faint praise.

Kaptain

Master
This might be good or bad news depending on how you look at it. It's still frustrating that he has not been named a starter when he is clearly better than Bruce. Excert below:

CURTIS THE RETURNER?: It appears that the Kevin Curtis as kick returner experiment might be over before it started. Curtis didn't return any kicks against the Texans and Linehan said Sunday that he might have too much value to risk using in the return game.

"I think we have a pretty good feel of Kevin doing that," Linehan said. "Full time returner? I don't know if that's going to be what we do with Kevin because his value as a third receiver is pretty high with our team. He's going to help us in there. He's going to be able to go back there in an as needed role."

In the meantime, Brad Pyatt and Marques Hagans will likely continue to get most of the reps as the Rams search for someone that can handle both kick and punt returning duties.