Julian Edelman

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Jimmy, I've seen Greg Lewis "play" for years in Philly. Porky Pig look-alike, Andy Reid, cut bigger, stronger, faster, more athletic white WR's such as Chris Samp and Michael Gasperson in favor of Lewis.

If a skinny, tiny little girl like Lewis can play split end and create seperation against the midgets playing CB in the NFL....what athletic american citizen can't?

I equate Edelman's situation to that of Colts WR Austin Collie. A white stud WR on the cusp of being the #3 starter on a team with an amazing passing QB. Joey Galloway / Greg Lewis are hilarious competition, even for a rookie who never played WR...Austin Collie's "competition" is the equally mockable, brick-handed Peirre Garcon. Also, the Pats and Colts also feature legit black talent at #1, Randy Moss and Reggie Wayne.

It would appear that this NFL season is destined to feature 3 teams that will have 2/3 starting white WR corps (Texans, Pats, Colts). The NFL "black scrub only" policy at WR is beginning to be exposed.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I wonder how long it's been since 3 teams will have 2 white WRs in the starting 3? This is an improvement for sure. I agree with Thrashen, it appears the policy to play black scrubs over more talented white WRs is starting to be broken a little. Hopefully, some DWFs noticed and help break it down.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jack Lambert said:
Yeah, I wonder how long it's been since 3 teams will have 2 white WRs in the starting 3? This is an improvement for sure. I agree with Thrashen, it appears the policy to play black scrubs over more talented white WRs is starting to be broken a little. Hopefully, some DWFs noticed and help break it down.

I sure hope Julian does become the Patriots 3rd WR and make it 3 teams with 2 WRs in the 3 WR sets. As far as your question, backrow, I'd love to bite on it and spend the next little while looking for the answer, but unfortunately I've got some academic writing that can't wait. I bet it has been a long time though.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
We need to temper our expectations for Edelman considerably, at least for this season. Joey Galloway -- who gained over 1,000 yards receiving in '05, '06 and '07 and scored 23 touchdowns in those three seasons before being hurt last year,was brought in to bethe third receiving option. Greg Lewis, who Bellichick inexplicably drools over, is the fourth receiver. Given that this is the NFL I'll be happy if Edelman sticks as the fifth or sixth receiver to begin the season, and possibly moves up the depth chart over time. As is so often the case, only injury is likely to speed up Edelman's racial apprenticeship, if he even makes the team.Edited by: Don Wassall

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Wow, what happened to Bellichick's love affair with this ultra-scrub?

This is a little caste justice for Andy Reid keeping Lewis instead of actual athletes such as WR Chris Samp and WR Michael Gasperson the past couple seasons.

Edelman should benefit greatly, as even the NE media thinks Galloway is really struggling.

backrow

Hall of Famer
and Aiken is actually a black equivalent of WSTD so Edelman might be seeing some looks as a receiver sooner than expected.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Patriots released the washed-up Joey Galloway, which is good news for Edelman. However, bad black receivers never just disappear, they keep turning up like dirty old pennies. The Chiefs are giving Galloway a tryout, because their receivers are terrible. Not Matt Jones, but Joey Galloway. This is like KC giving Ricky Proehl a tryout when Brandon Marshall is available. What a POS league.

backrow

Hall of Famer
bad news:

According to the Boston Herald, Patriots rookie receiver Julian Edelman is out indefinitely with a broken arm.

It's a season-threatening injury for the college quarterback-turned-NFL slot receiver. Edelman was coming off his second most productive game of the season -- a six-catch, 43-yard outing in Sunday's blowout of Tennessee.
Source: Boston Herald

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
bad news:

According to the Boston Herald, Patriots rookie receiver Julian Edelman is out indefinitely with a broken arm.

It's a season-threatening injury for the college quarterback-turned-NFL slot receiver. Edelman was coming off his second most productive game of the season -- a six-catch, 43-yard outing in Sunday's blowout of Tennessee.
Source: Boston Herald

DAMNIT!!!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The article doesn't even say how he broke it. Was it during the game on Sunday? During practice thanks to a black teammate? I know the Patriots are ultra-secretive about injuries but this is ridiculous.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I finally found something detailing whathappened--Edelman broke his arm at the end of the game. And he really had the third spot nailed down. Hopefully he can come back relatively soon like Paul Poszlusney did after breaking his arm in the first game of the season and was back playing last Sunday:

On his final play Sunday, Edelman caught a 4-yard pass, was tackled and fell on his right arm. He was not at the team's practice on Tuesday. Edelman's injury, combined with the Patriots releasing WR Joey Galloway, means New England now has only three healthy wideouts -- Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Sam Aiken.
http://www.sbnation.com/2009/10/21/1094550/julian-edelman-broken-arm-patriots#

bigunreal

Mentor
How does a player break an arm in a game, and nothing is published about it until days later? I know he's a white receiver, but come on!

Next question- why were the Patriots passing on the last play of a game they were leading 59-0? Belicheck had a history of running up the score (he was throwing TD passes, even using a fleaflicker play, to Randy Moss in that game when his team was leading 45-0), but this would be a new low in sportsmanship even for him.

When white skill position players aren't refusing to play through less than criticial injuries, they are experiencing severe injuries like this, in a fluke way, at the most inopportune time. Sometimes it seems like there is a curse hanging over the few and proud handful of white RBs and WRs that sneak through the cracks of the Caste system. Edited by: bigunreal

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
In scouring the net, the Pat's website, NFL.com, ESPN, etc. Edelman is NOT listed on an injury reports. He was shown as not practicing because of his forearm "injury", and is still listed as the third starting receiver on the Pats depth chart along with Welker and Moss. I didn't watch to see if he got on the plane to England or not, but since he's a "tough" "gritty" "scrappy" kind of guy(!), maybe he'll play with a broken forearm!

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
In scouring the net, the Pat's website, NFL.com, ESPN, etc. Edelman is NOT listed on an injury reports.  He was shown as not practicing because of his forearm "injury", and is still listed as the third starting receiver on the Pats depth chart along with Welker and Moss.  I didn't watch to see if he got on the plane to England or not, but since he's a "tough" "gritty" "scrappy" kind of guy(!), maybe he'll play with a broken forearm!

Well, I wouldnt call him "tough," as he missed almost the entire pre-season and training camp with various leg injuries.

I really, really hope he can play again, especially since the Joey Galloway release proved that the Pats usually idiotic management actually has faith in Edelman. Edited by: Thrashen

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Galloway is so old and washed up that they had to release him. Collinsworth was blabbing during a game this season about how athletic Galloway is.

bigunreal said:
Sometimes it seems like there is a curse hanging over the few and proud handful of white RBs and WRs that sneak through the cracks of the Caste system.

Come on you don't really believe this do you? If anything we should think it's a miracle that these guys do sneak through the cracks, because if the PTB had their way the league would be 100% black. The white players who get through are incredibly determined, hard willed and fortunate. There is no curse.

Electric Slide said:
bigunreal said:
Sometimes it seems like there is a curse hanging over the few and proud handful of white RBs and WRs that sneak through the cracks of the Caste system.

Come on you don't really believe this do you? If anything we should think it's a miracle that these guys do sneak through the cracks, because if the PTB had their way the league would be 100% black. The white players who get through are incredibly determined, hard willed and fortunate. There is no curse.

exactly electric slide there is no curse there just have towork a hellufa lot harder than black players.and is it just me or has there been more productive white WRs this yearthan usual

devans

Mentor
I agree WR82. Things have been beter than I can remember for a long time at the receiver position. I have watched Camarillo and Hartline, Welker and Edelman, Walter and Anderson, on the field at the same time! All in the same season. This is pretty unusual. It not only breaks the one white receiver per team rule but busts through the only one on the field at a time rule - that was thought be be so unlikely that it hasn't even been thought of - yet. Plus the way Collie has been playing as a rookie, and Lance Long coming from nowhere to make 6 catches it is looking pretty good. Even the Raiders have a white WR I believe!

I'm not saying I'm satisfied. The Mike Hass situation is very perplexing, as is the "pretending Matt Jones does not exist" game that is going on.Plus zero white CB's in the NFL is laughable,and nointelligent person could attempt to make a logical argument to support that situation.

backrow

Hall of Famer
if Jones and Hass somehow get back into the league, the WR situation would look pretty good, especially with Decker, Shipley and Meier coming into the league. too bad that Kevin Curtis and Anthony Gonzalez are injured. will next season be the perfect storm at WR?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Danny Amendola has a chance to be the Rams "slot machine." The Packers had Jordy Nelson and Brett Swain on the field at the same time before Swain was seriously injured. Nelson should be back this week.

guest301

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
if Jones and Hass somehow get back into the league, the WR situation would look pretty good, especially with Decker, Shipley and Meier coming into the league. too bad that Kevin Curtis and Anthony Gonzalez are injured. will next season be the perfect storm at WR?

I don't really see how Shipley's talent can be denied especially if the Longhorns go on to win the fictional national championship this year and the media attention Shipley will get from that. He should be a top ten pick.