HS teams cancelling their season

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
Joined
Jun 3, 2014
Messages
784
This is a local school somewhat near to where I live that has cancelled their season due to low participation numbers and injuries. They are 0-4 and have been outscored 191-12. They haven't scored a point since week 1. The article did mention that high school athletes can transfer now which means all the best players are starting to concentrate on just a handful of teams. I can't imagine this is healthy in the long term for the local high school football scene. Does this happen in places where you guys live?

 
This is a local school somewhat near to where I live that has cancelled their season due to low participation numbers and injuries. They are 0-4 and have been outscored 191-12. They haven't scored a point since week 1. The article did mention that high school athletes can transfer now which means all the best players are starting to concentrate on just a handful of teams. I can't imagine this is healthy in the long term for the local high school football scene. Does this happen in places where you guys live?

This has happened for decades in my city for various reasons. Some of it is because of equipment costs but much of it is due to gentrification and a more recent generation being softer than previous generations.

I don't know whether this "sissifying" of young males is because of female leadership but it is quite noticeable to me whenever school age children socialize as when I was in this range there was always a sandlot football game happening with full tackling and hard blocking and male teachers turned a blind eye to it.

Fist fights happened frequently and male teachers turned a blind eye to that too unless it was too violent or a gang type fight with multiple people fighting.

Even street hockey is near dead by me and that was played every day on the streets or at the elementary school or junior high and now these are rarities as far as I can tell.
 
Back
Top